Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

That should say no family support. And I'm officially worn out. Stupid phone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Unreg0909 wrote: »
    Wow have been up all night, literally, with a coughing 15month old. Tried elevating her head, snuffle babe, etc....she's been like this all week, gp at 8 when he opens I think. I think she's slept through maybe 5 times since she was born. Severe acid reflux, milk allergy, food intolerances, repeated ear infection- burst eardrum- then grommets, gastro bug so bad it caused her oesophagus to bleed. I went back to work in sept and I've been off more than I've been in with her as can't send her to Creche we sick ado daily support to help.
    I am officially workout.
    to Creche when sick

I'm sorry to hear your baby and.you have been having a rough time. It must be so frustrating. my daughter has milk allergy and im driven up the walls sometimes by it. Do you have any friends who could help you out? Even ttake bubs for a walk while you sit down?

Thanks Loubian. I'm sorry to hear your little one is the same. How old is he/she? None of our friends have kids and she's very, how do I put it, temperamental? Tantrums etc . Not many people can manage her, including my mam who's had 6 of us. Ah don't mind me, just exhausted. Gonna bring her to the gp this morn just to get her checked as she sounds really caught up. It just feels a bit never ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Would trying to find a child minder work better for you? Less children than a crèche to get bugs from and they'll take kids with sniffles etc. they aren't as strict as crèches.

Feel terrible for you that she's been so unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Unreg0909 wrote: »
    Wow have been up all night, literally, with a coughing 15month old. Tried elevating her head, snuffle babe, etc....she's been like this all week, gp at 8 when he opens I think. I think she's slept through maybe 5 times since she was born. Severe acid reflux, milk allergy, food intolerances, repeated ear infection- burst eardrum- then grommets, gastro bug so bad it caused her oesophagus to bleed. I went back to work in sept and I've been off more than I've been in with her as can't send her to Creche we sick ado daily support to help.
    I am officially workout.
    to Creche when sick

I have a 2 year old and he had very similar problems. A lot of those problems are all branches of the same tree. We are now likely looking at asthma. Having said that, the bigger and stronger he gets, the better he gets. It's actually very depressing at times but just take one night at a time and go to bed as early as you can to try and get a little sleep before you're up again. Hope it improves soon.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks x to be honest I went down the Creche road as we have no family nearby (we live the opposite side of the country to our families and they rarely visit as its "too far" - both sets of parents are in good health, they just won't travel. My mother has been in our house once since we had the baby- the day we came home from hospital and has never come up since) - she wasn't really seeing other kids and was bored at home if I'm honest. Socially she has come on in leaps and bounds, it's amazing to see.

Both myself and her dad have asthma, allergies, sinus problems, so she was bound to be the same. I just didn't think about how hard it would be. Work is a nightmare, I'm barely functioning. Our social lives are non existNt- we went out for dinner on our y

Thanks folks x to be honest I went down the Creche road as we have no family nearby (we live the opposite side of the country to our families and they rarely visit as its "too far" - both sets of parents are in good health, they just won't travel. My mother has been in our house once since we had the baby- the day we came home from hospital and has never come up since) - she wasn't really seeing other kids and was bored at home if I'm honest. Socially she has come on in leaps and bounds, it's amazing to see.

Both myself and her dad have asthma, allergies, sinus problems, so she was bound to be the same. I just didn't think about how hard it would be. Work is a nightmare, I'm barely functioning. Our social lives are non existent- we went out for dinner on our own for the first time in 17 months last weekend and even at that had to come home as she was roaring the place down. Her babysitter was a girl from her Creche so not like she was a stranger. It's becoming very isolating. Harder again watching our parents spending massive amounts of time with the other grandkids and moaning at us that we don't go home enough- car journeys with a child with reflux are horrendous. We do try our best but with working full time it's difficult to do a 4 hour journey down on a Friday and back on a Sunday so we usually have to take annual leave if we ever want to go home for a weekend
    Anyway thanks for letting me vent- some days are just better than others!

Just re reading my post, when I say she's improved massively socially, I just mean in terms of being around other kids. Generally she has severe stranger anxiety to the point where we can barely have friends over to visit as she will scream her head off. One of my friends had to leave after 15mins one day as she just wouldn't calm down :( I'm actually wondering if she is showing signs of sensory processing disorder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Unreg 0909 ive no advice or help. just sending hugs.

So who else is hoping the clocks change is going to fix their babas.
    My guy actually slept well last nigh and not up till 7.30 this morning but was up for hra during the night the night before.

Got them to bed at 6.45 (usual bedtime 7) usual wake up is between 5.30 and 6.30. But he does be wrecked at 6pm so hoping with change he will sleep till 7ish.
    I blame the fact he was born last yr the night the clocks went forward that messed him up ( midwives had a debate over the time as he was born 4.09am but they didnt know if clock had been changed) . So hoping it will fix him this year. The day before his 1st birthday

Toddler still so sick. Slept nearly all day. OH went in to sleep with her last night as she was vomiting in bed but she was still vomiting up until bedtime so i will probably land in with her tonight to keep an eye. .
    Theres my glass of wine gone out the window so.

Suucee wrote: »
    I blame the fact he was born last yr the night the clocks went forward that messed him up ( midwives had a debate over the time as he was born 4.09am but they didnt know if clock had been changed) . So hoping it will fix him this year. The day before his 1st birthday

Clocks officially go forward at 1am. So on a night like tonight no child will be born between 1 and 2 am as it doesn't exist.

Sorry you little one is sick.

Tonight is my last night on my own! Yay! Hubby comes home from 12 days in china tomorrow. So glad to be able to actually relax and unwind a bit. I'm always on edge, that he'll wake up or something and never really sleep properly. E also hates me putting him to bed as that's usually daddy's job. Hope he doesn't find it strange now tomorrow night

• Advertisement

Clocks officially go forward at 1am. So on a night like tonight no child will be born between 1 and 2 am as it doesn't exist.

Yea they had that debate. But when he was born they werent sure if the clock in the room had been changed yet.
    I was more concerned about the fact he wasnt crying and wasnt handed to me straight away like when my daughter was born but he was born in the vernix so they were all fussing over that too.

Glad your OH is home. Id say thats been very tough.

Oh god scary.

I hated that part of my fellas first birthday. Remembering the difficult part of the birth. Nobody else remembers how hard it was or if you had any trouble and are all happy and smiley and ask you if you remember it fondly.

Hopefully in a few years it'll fade from memory, or if I have another the two experiences will blur together!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

At the end of my tether. Took me an hour to get 11 month old asleep who usually falls asleep in 10 mins. He's up since 5:45 & has been whinging all day despite 2 near 2 hour naps. I'm in bed already as I presume I'll be up the usual 4/5 times a night with him. Fed up of it all & the constant bickering & fighting with OH due to tiredness & feeling like I'm the one doing everything.
    This hour change better work in my favour!!!!

Sorry now. Rant over!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

So my munchkin is finally asleep over two hours later than normal.....they had better give mammy a lie on!

Now to get the one in my belly to let me sleep all will be well!

It is terrible what tiredness does to a relationship - just add and pregnancy and I am all sorts of cranky!

and I can hear my toodler snore from the other room! Sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My 23 month old monkey had we up at 5am (new time, 4 am old time eek!). I brought her into our bed and she stratagems around for an hour and a half and then I gave in and we got up. Thankfully the 4 year old slept until 7.30

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

My 10 month old has been absolutely terrible the last few weeks - he goes down no problem but from when he wakes first, usually around 11, he cries til I take him into bed. He's never slept through. I'm back in work a month and still doing a lot of the wakings and the tiredness is a killer.

Last night OH was "on duty" and apart from moaning a couple of times in the night baby is still asleep now! And yes I've checked he's still alive! I woke a few times as normal but OH had a great sleep. God knows what time he'll go down at tonight!

Stupid clocks! My fella woke 4 times in the night. He finally decided he wasn't going back down at 7.15 ( really 6.15!) I'm so wrecked. Need a nap and its only 10. What's the bets my fella wont want a nap today eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

7.10 here this morning which is 6.10 old time. Ridiculously early. I was hoping it'd be after 8 new time. Why on earth has he started waking so early? Nap time happening soon in our house anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We'd been having 6am starts for the last week. Today we got 9am new time!! Doesn't make a huge difference in the long run as during the week she has to be up at 10 to 7 so a couple of days of that will soon put her back to her early waking! Though the lie in was greatly appreciated this morning!

My guy woke during the night ( nothing new there) settled back asleep after about and hour and dont wake until 9 am new time. Majorally shocked. Due for nap at 12. Hoping he goes down ok.
    Toddler slept 13.5 hrs even though she slept nearly all day yesrerdtay.
    Hasnt been sick since but still vrry tired and week. Drank some kubus this morning which is like a thick smoothy so at least she has had something. Drinking plenty of water too.

• Advertisement

Woshy wrote: »
    7.10 here this morning which is 6.10 old time. Ridiculously early. I was hoping it'd be after 8 new time. Why on earth has he started waking so early? Nap time happening soon in our house anyway.

5:20 new time here. I amost cried. After a little fight, I left him in his cot and he must have dozed off again because next time it was 8:30! Hallelujiah!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Praise the Lord!!!!! After 2 weeks of very unsettled sleep our little one slept until 9am (8am old time) instead of waking up at 6am as she has done the past couple of days & she has also gone for her nap now which she skipped the last 3 days :D:D Getting her vaccine last tues and catching a cold after certainly didn't help so here's hoping she is getting back into her old routine which was so good! I really need to catch up on some sleep:pac:

yellow hen wrote: »
    5:20 new time here. I amost cried. After a little fight, I left him in his cot and he must have dozed off again because next time it was 8:30! Hallelujiah!

That's great! We actually don't let my boy get up before 7am. If he wakes before then we leave him in his cot and let him talk to his teddies until it's time to get up (we can hear him giggling away and chatting to himself). However, daddy was up at 6am to watch the cricket so he was brought downstairs and mummy slept in. I shouldn't complain really! He was always an 8am waker though so this has thrown out routine right out. I have a baby due in 8 weeks and I'm dreadibg being up all night with her and then up again at the crack of dawn with him.

He's been napping now for 2 hrs 45 minutes so I might get him up. Yesterday he napped from 12.30 - 5pm :eek: because we had a bad night on Friday night. He's all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

yellow hen wrote: »
    Me too. 5.11am, I gave her a sippy cup of milk and brought her into my bed with strict instructions that she had to sleep. She thrashed about and poked daddy and I until 6.30 at which point I gave in and got up. I'm so tired now and having a glass of wine and then I'm off to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

My 10 month old has been absolutely terrible the last few weeks - he goes down no problem but from when he wakes first, usually around 11, he cries til I take him into bed. He's never slept through. I'm back in work a month and still doing a lot of the wakings and the tiredness is a killer.

Last night OH was "on duty" and apart from moaning a couple of times in the night baby is still asleep now! And yes I've checked he's still alive! I woke a few times as normal but OH had a great sleep. God knows what time he'll go down at tonight!

Well I paid for that good night all day long and into the night. He was impossible to put down for naps today and while he went to sleep fine at his normal time this evening he must have thought it was his afternoon nap and he woke up after 40 minutes and stayed up for flipping ages. I'm up at 6 for work... bed now and hopefully I get a couple of hours before he wakes me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It makes zero sense that an arbitrary clock change will affect a baby, but by jesus, 11 month old who has been waking 2 or three times a night slept through from 8-6 last night (now, his usual wake time had been 5 AM, which it technically still is, but to go straight through is new!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I live for the day when we get a random sleep through the night. Hope it's a sign of many restful nights to come Baldy!!

My 8mo had a stretch of sleep from midnight to four am this morning and I consider myself gloriously lucky :D

My boy slept until 9.30am this morning - went down at 8.30pm. Wtf? This child is trolling me!

I did hear him talking and giggling to himself at about 4am but I ignired him and he obviously went back asleep. He must have just been exhausted after a week or two of sleeping less.

I love hearing everyone's sleep stories - as parents we're all obsessed with it!

Well, we are yet again choking and gagging. The new inhalers are clearly not working either. I don't mind admitting that I find this constant illness and asthmatic type episodes completely depressing. I just cannot accept that there is nothing that anyone can do to help.

• Advertisement

Oh yellow hen I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling like this :(:( are you under an allergist/paediatrician? I can recommend a really good allergy guy if you're not already with one

Advertisement