Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

bp wrote: »

No problem - I just thought it might be worth looking in to. Anything that can help when you're that exhausted is worth a try! I remember it well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Soooky wrote: »
    Is anyone's little one a picky eater? My little one is 16 months old. She was a great eater until she was 12 months old - we did a mix of spoon feeds and blw and she would eat practically everything put in front of her, two big meals a day plus snacks!

However, since hitting the 12 month mark, she justs picks at her food! A few morsels go into her mouth and the rest is either spat out, thrown on the floor/at the walls or rubbed in her hair:eek: I literally have to strip her after her meals & then spend ages cleaning the highchair, floor etc very disheartening:(

And everyone saying she is tiny doesn't help:( Trying not to make a big deal out of it & keeping a poker face but god if its a phase I wish it would bloody well hurry up & end:eek::eek:

Baby 1 went like this, got a bit picky, and was 20th percentile, so I was getting the 'would you ever feed her' thing a lot. I left her at it and it settled itself. She still doesn't eat huge quantities but I'm fairly sure she is not going to starve herself as long as I keep putting food down in front of her. She eats bits of most things, I try to keep it varied.

My 13 mt old though, is still eating like a bottomless pit. I cannot keep her fed. She wallops down her own food, and then screams her head off until she gets some of everyone else's. She has trained her elder sister, as she now hands over most of her own food to the baby when I'm not looking. Randomers passing in the street with food, roars and tries to grab it off them. People in restaurants/cafes with food on plates? Will go right up to them and try to grab their food. On the bus, I pray that no-one sits down and starts to eat anything in front of her. I'm mortified by it. It's like I never feed her.

Slightly offset of course by her being so huge. 99th percentile weight and 75th for height, in age 18-24mt clothes, and some of them are a stretch. Where did this hungry hungry baby come from? Everyone thinks she is this very wobbly 2 year old, instead of a very robust 1 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

My poor little babba has the worst wind after feeding - farts in pain for two hours, gets maybe half an hour sleep and then feeds again :-( poor little mite. Not sure if my boobs are giving milk too fast but always worse and night and getting progressively worse each feed

I had fast let down too and i found changing my feeding position really helped. If you look it up Laid back nursing on YouTube there's lots of videos. I would sit in a comfy arm chair recliner a bit reclined (but the more upright the better) and baby was kind of straddling my thigh so he was semi-upright as well. It got easier as he got a bit of head control and so on. He had reflux and the fast let-down and my over-supply just made the reflux worse but this feeding position did improve things for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Bubs just broke teeth on the top to match his 4 on the bottom. Cue constant teeth grinding, oh the noise of it! Not loud but it sets my own teeth on edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

pwurple wrote: »

My 13 mt old though, is still eating like a bottomless pit. I cannot keep her fed. She wallops down her own food, and then screams her head off until she gets some of everyone else's. She has trained her elder sister, as she now hands over most of her own food to the baby when I'm not looking. Randomers passing in the street with food, roars and tries to grab it off them. People in restaurants/cafes with food on plates? Will go right up to them and try to grab their food. On the bus, I pray that no-one sits down and starts to eat anything in front of her. I'm mortified by it. It's like I never feed her.

PMSL pwpurple :D:D:D So funny!!! Can just picture it! Just goes to show how different they all are :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I think we are going to land in hosp this afternoon with the bloody chickenpox... The gps gave me until 2 to get 3/400 mils of fluid into her or else they are going to admit her. I've gotten 80mls in.... She's so sleepy and lethargic. So so sick of sickness right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

cyning wrote: »
    I think we are going to land in hosp this afternoon with the bloody chickenpox... The gps gave me until 2 to get 3/400 mils of fluid into her or else they are going to admit her. I've gotten 80mls in.... She's so sleepy and lethargic. So so sick of sickness right now.

Oh God, I hope it goes ok x

Defo getting vaccine after reading this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Oh God, I hope it goes ok x

Defo getting vaccine after reading this

Do! I had been humming and hawing over it: my 2.5 year old ran temps of 40 for 3 days had a double ear infection and is very run down still: 2 weeks later. S is on the cusp of dehydration (although we've avoided hosp for now I syringed in 200mls so doc is going to review tomorrow) and is throwing herself around in her sleep, screeching out: it's awful.

Massive regret here.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

cyning wrote: »
    Do! I had been humming and hawing over it: my 2.5 year old ran temps of 40 for 3 days had a double ear infection and is very run down still: 2 weeks later. S is on the cusp of dehydration (although we've avoided hosp for now I syringed in 200mls so doc is going to review tomorrow) and is throwing herself around in her sleep, screeching out: it's awful.

Massive regret here.

Poor kiddies!

At least you avoided hospital. I really hope it improves quickly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Absolutely pounding headache and hyper toddler :(uugh

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Sorry to hear about all the sick babas – hope all are well soon.

Apologies in advance as this is going to be long - I’m just a big ball of guilt and exhaustion today and I feel completely lost. My little boy is 11 months old and has been in crèche for the past 2 months. He’s a very active and social little fella so he settled into crèche immediately without a single tear shed. In the evenings when I collect him I’ve found he’s a little clingier than he used to be but he’s getting to his tired time too and he’s completely manageable. So daytimes are all good and happy.

Night time is the problem. He has never really slept through the night, but until around a month ago he would only need a pat on the head/some reassurance and he’d go back to sleep. More often than not I might take him into bed with me in the early morning to get an extra hour or two before getting up. On bad nights we might co-sleep for more of the night. When I went back to work this had to stop as I get up for work in the early hours of the morning and OH doesn’t leave for work/crèche drop-off until a couple of hours later. So for the first month or so we made a big effort to keep him in his cot – which meant a lot more time standing by the side comforting him but needs must. However the last few weeks have been terrible. He goes down to sleep no problem – kiss goodnight, we leave the room, and he falls asleep within a few minutes. But when he wakes he is absolutely inconsolable unless I pick him up and hold him or else sleep beside him. He will actually hold onto me in the bed and sleeps with his face an inch from mine. This started happening a few weeks ago at 2/3am but in the last week it’s moved up to 10/11pm so I’m getting no sleep at all before it starts.

Then in the morning when I get up early I have to try and detangle myself and settle him in his cot which inevitably results in him waking and crying. So I’m leaving a crying baby and OH is stuck trying to keep him happy for a couple of hours while he tries to get ready for work. It’s such a stressful start to the day. I was in tears leaving today after a few hours broken sleep and seeing his little face looking at me going. :(

I know he’s experiencing some sort of separation anxiety and my number one priority for the last 11 months has been to make him happy but something has to give. I think we need to do some sort of sleep training with him to make all our lives easier but I’ve researched it a bit in the past and the key part of all of the training is getting baby to settle himself to sleep at bedtime – which my fella has been doing from when he was tiny. We have tried leaving him to cry for a few minutes but he just gets worse and I don’t think either of us have the stomach for cry-it-out. I feel horrible even thinking about this when he's obviously dealing with a big change in his life - but we need a plan as this just can’t go on... can anyone offer any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I feel for you contrary_mary... I've been pretty lucky with mine sleep-wise. I took the advice from my mum early on with a set of comfort things. A little blanket, a soft toy and a soother. To get started I slept on the blanket and toy, so it had a smell of me on it. Then when the baby got upset I'd give them one of the things, and rub their back. A few weeks passed and they snuggle the things themselves now when they wake up, and settle themselves. My 4 year old still sleeps with the raggedy old blanket that we started with.. even though she ditched the toy and soother years ago. We'll pull it out if she falls and hurts her knee as well, to give her extra comfort/security. For us, building that sense of comfort into something else (apart from me) was a godsend.

My moany mcmoan today is that my lady is using my legs as a climbing frame to get up to standing when I'm making her porridge in the mornings. 3 days, 3 pairs of tights ripped.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mary, can I ask why you put him back in the cot when you get up, and not just leave him snoozing beside your partner? If you snuck out but he was still snuggled into your partner and in a warm bed he might not wake up. We got these bed rails that will fit on any ordinary bed for our toddler's bed so you could put that up after you get out.

Our guy would wake up being transferred into a cold cot and he was a terrible sleeper too so we just went along with it for the quiet life. We had a double bed in his room so one of us would go into the bed with him, at least the other parent got a decent sleep. If we had to leave him sleeping, the bed rails went up.

The comforter objects for us were a teddy and soothers, and he needed them more when he started in creche or when he moved to a new room in creche - anytime there was major change in his routine. The soother is gone now, but there is consternation when teddy isn't there.

I will say though, it WILL pass. He's just missing you even though he's probably loving crèche too. :) But it does feel awful in the mornings leaving to go to work when they are roaring their little hearts out, I used to feel so wretched. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Mary my guy has just come out of this . Literally clinging to me at night in the bed also. Also always been a terrible sleeper.
    But dont blame work. Im a stay at home mammy so with him constantly and this still happened. I know its hard but it will pass. My guy is 13 mnths hes still not great at sleeping but the past few nights have been pretty good . And he hasnt come in to our bed in about 5 nights or more.
    I actually brought him to gp to rule out medical issues. She gave me gel for his gums as they were very badly inflamed at the back .. but i do think a lot of it is developmental. Boys are so much clingier and cuddlier and reliant upon us .
    Leave him in the bed when you get up. Get a bed rail . Id be concerned about leaving LO in bed with OH as he is such a heavey sleeper but wake him before you go so he knows he is on watch. Has to be better thank waking poor baba too.
    Ps big hugs ive been there and prob be back there soon. Just dont blame working.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Thanks ladies for all the advice. He did a little better last night - he had a late sleep in creche so I put him down an hour later and he didn't wake to come in to us til 3. I decided to start work a bit later today so I stayed with him til he woke at 6:30. I got lots of hugs before heading out which was lovely!

OH gets up a few minutes after me as he has a few things to do before leaving for work so we can't leave him in the bed.

He has a little blankie and a teddy he likes but he's not terribly attached to them. He has a soother too but that does nothing in the night now as he pops it in as soon as he wakes and then screams for me!

I'm hoping it's a phase and things improve soon. ..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

We have this too.

He was never the best sleeper. i think the problem for us is creche. he went from being with me 24/7 to seeing me for less than 2 hours a day. So we put it down to seperation anxiety. He got over it with lots of cuddles and reassurances.

he is in the middle of leap 8 at the moment and it is back with a bang. :(

for the first time ever, I brought him into the bed with me at 9.30pm last night, as i have heavy cold and needed sleep. he slept all night.

my husband isnt going to want to sleep in the office again tonight, so it will probably be me and the man, squished in a single bed in his room, with him snoring in one ear while my husband snores in the double bed and me lying awake screaming in my head for both of them to get away from me or planning an escape route and what bare essentials i need!!

the joys of motherhood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Hi all,

I'm new around these parts. My son is almost 4 weeks old, and is just fab.

If it's ok to have a it of a moan I'm having a bad day about my own recovery after having him. I developed pre eclampsia and he was born early because of it. I still have high bp problems and while I do my best to stay positive and I've recovered very quickly from the section itself and the mental torture of a prolonged stay in hospital today the bp stuff is really getting me down. It also seems to be bringing back up all the fear and worry of my prolonged hospital stay, emergency section, and the fact that I have no idea how this will pan out and any lasting effects it will have on my body and the idea of any future pregnancies. I feel like every time I pick myself up and tell myself it's all going to be ok a bad bp reading or a pessimistic talk with the consultant bring me crashing down again :(

Could someone remind me what it's like to sleep...been up since 2.30 (up from midnight-one before that) with a farty/ noisey/ hungry baby and toddler will be up in less than an hour :-(

Correction - toodler up...it's only 6am....boo :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

Bp I'm feeling your pain, since new baby arrived toddler up at crazy o clock

On the upside the toddler just woke their daddy up :-) I am going back to bed! Hopefully

Foiled again....baby awake! Boards is cursed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Our little boy woke us up at 6.30am this morning, after husband and I had a late night. Normally he is a later sleeper than that. I just witnessed my husband, a grown man having a tantrum about it and he was sent off to the spare room. We're due baby number 2 in just over 3 weeks so he needs to get his **** together and deal with the fact we're having sleepless nights for the next while. I am not impressed, words will be had later!

We don't have an older toddler but have the added "fun" of my husband being on call for work and regularly having to go in at all hours, like 1.30am last night and got home at 3.30. So I lose my wind/nappy/bed buddy after I feed the baby and we both lose more precious sleep!

Aren't kids and husbands great :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

I'm definitely not an expert, my son is just a month old, but I wouldn't expect a routine at this stage, theyre too young, any routine is pure fluke. Mine did the same, woke every 1.5-2hrs at night for a few days after starting out doing 3-6hr stretches, could be a growth spurt, could be lots of things. He's back now to waking every 2-3hrs, but sometimes he's woken after 40 mins, other times I've gotten 3.5 whole hours...wooo :) He struggles with windy nappies, its just their digestive system adjusting to being used.. They get bigger, take bigger feeds, sleep longer at a time, but each baby is different. My friend's baby slept for 8+ hours at about 5 weeks with one dreamfeed, she'd have slept all day and night if you let her. Then others have babies still waking multiple times months/years later.

I have the same problem with one offering "help", she seems to think I want a break since the day we came home (I just got him I dont need a fecking break) and when she does visits she just jigs him about driving him mad and doesnt get that if she just handed him to me he'd stop crying. And as for backwards comments about breastfeeding, babywearing, do I not want a drop of Guinness etc7

Don't worry about a routine just yet, it will be a few months before a decent one emerges in most cases. Babies at this age are still figuring out night and day.

My 3 week old has given me one three hour stretch at night (usually two hours if I am lucky) but four hours plus during the day the odd time. My toddler established a three - four hours routine at a very young age.

On parents, yep they will drive you nuts... Trying to help but the advice maybe outdated or just not what you are into. In a month or two when feeds stretch out you will be able to hand them over for a few hours off.

One of the biggest things I personally had to overcome with my first was letting daddy sooth the baby. It took longer but I needed to let go and let him get the confidence. Same with grandparents who are invaluable baby sitters now.

The moral of my post comes down to two things:

1. All babies are different and you are doing a great (ignore people who say their child slept for 12 hours from day one)
    2. When given advice (mine included!!!!) Smile, nod, say thank you and proceed to ignore. You know your baby better than anyone so do what is best for you - HAPPY MAMMY = HAPPY BABY

*disclaimer: all based on woman who was in tears at 3am from exhaustion with a baby who did not sleep last night and woke the toddler

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

You need to learn to look interested, smile and nod your head. Then go and do what feels natural to you.

Dont even start thinking about routine yet, now follow your babys lead. the sleep when your baby sleeps is the only way. I dont NOTHING in the house when he was that size. he slept, i slept and tbh he is 12 months now, and at the weekend/days off - when he sleeps, i sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement