Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Can you go for a walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Hi baby4 sorry to hear you are having a rough time. My guy is 8 months now and I can say that yes it did get easier! I felt similar at that age. the stage you are at is really really hard: you've run out of the initial adrenalin, you haven't slept for nearly two weeks, your hormones are still all over the place and you have this lovely little baba that needs feeding and changing and burbing every couple of hours regardless of what is going on! Never mind others getting on your poor already-frayed nerves. So, yeah it sucks at the moment but it will get better in the next while. I second what others have said, it's too early for a routine yet. Just go with what your baby needs and when baby needs it. Honestly, a routine sounds lovely but you'll drive yourself cracked trying to enforce a routine this young. It is bloody hard to be by yourself with all this too. Can you ask a friend to come over? One who will make themselves a cup of tea and maybe bring some grub too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

Baby4 wrote: »

Yeah I started going for walks 11 days after, when I was 4 days out of hospital, it's great to get out and about but I was blessed with the weather too...even if the compression stockings made it all a bit warm!

I'm the same, I don't have anybody nearby, except for one friend (I don't live near my family) but as I can't drive I can't visit her and she can only call so often with work.

Are there any new mum groups near you that you could walk to?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I have a sixteen month old baby. At the beginning my mother and mother in law meant well but drove me insane with endless suggestions and always calling in. I'd a section and like all of us in the first few weeks my hormones were up and down. I thought after a few weeks I'd have a routine and became adamant it would. Reality and teething kicked in. We all settled in to a routine. After the first few weeks the novelty of the first grandchild wore off and now she sees her Grannies a few times a week as they live close by but it's easier. We have a routine and I'm not tired. Go easy on yourself. It's seriously hard work. I think no one tells you just how hard it is. Try get out of the house every day. Walk to a shop to buy milk or a cafe for a cuppa. Mentally I found that helped me. It gets easier and enjoy your baby

• Advertisement

I know people mean well (blah blah), but why do people keep offering to mind him while I/we "go out"? We've only been home just over 3 weeks, he's breastfed with some semblance of a 2-3 hour window between feeds but sometimes it's 30-60 minutes and sometimes he just wants me. There's nothing but pubs in our town, anything else is 20+ minutes away, where do they think I want to go?? I'm happy out at home with my beautiful boy, I don't have this crazy need to escape for a while like they seem to think I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

To be honest spotty bananas, I'd take them up on the offer, even if it's only to go for a walk alone together . We, like you, didn't want /need to leave our fella, but once the 3 month mark hit, we were desperately craving some alone time and everyone had stopped offering :(

To be honest spotty bananas, I'd take them up on the offer, even if it's only to go for a walk alone together . We, like you, didn't want /need to leave our fella, but once the 3 month mark hit, we were desperately craving some alone time and everyone had stopped offering :(

I don't see how even a walk without the baby would be possible at the moment even if we wanted to, knowing that if he's screaming with pain neither of us were there and could be 15 minutes away from home if we went for a walk, he is a serious screamer so I'd hate inflicting that on him or anyone minding him, he gets hysterical from a clothes or nappy change never mind wind pain. But sure at the moment he's so small and quiet walks/meals out with him feel like time alone anyway.

My mother in law begs to mind all her grandkids every week and it'll be no different for us so maybe knowing we'll have her there whenever we want later on makes us less inclined to do it now when we don't have/want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Why are toddlers obsessed with dropping things into the toilet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I reckon they love the satisfying plonk splash noise! I'm just waiting for something important to end up down there soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We have finally found all the keys to the bathrooms and utility room! No more toot toot cars in the loo, or washing machine!!

Now to find a hack for our bins....

Going insane with sleep deprivation here, baby's self imposed strict 2-3hr feed/sleep/chill routine is gone, replaced by waking crying every hour wanting feeding or with wind, I'm just making barely informed guesses on what's wrong. Add to this the fact that he screams hysterically through every nappy change and it's making for a very difficult few days.

And of course the only way he sleeps soundly is on me or cuddled up to me, what I wouldn't give to just be able to pop him on the bed, snuggle up and sleep for a few hours straight. Terrible design flaw that they love sleeping on/with you but can't really do it when they're so small!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Try a co-sleeping cot. Same issue here so we took the side off ours and raised it.

Have both in with me now! Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

I let my know 3 year old sleep beside me whenever he wanted! Rightly or wrongly, wasn't every night could have been a night or 2 a week, once he hit about 18 months we moved him to a bed and be rarely comes in now. Sometimes on the weekend he might in the mornings when we are lying on, I do miss those cuddles. My new man isn't keen on the bed I have brought him in the odd time when he was unsettled but he settled back better in the Moses basket, they are all so different. Those early sleep deprived weeks are tough but they do pass, I never thought I'd say I miss the nighttime cuddles!

Spotty my oldest was bad with wind so we could never change him after a feed as the lying down would bother him just after the feed plus I think the cold used to get him so I would throw a towel over his legs as we changed him. If I needed to change him after a feed I would prop him up to do it. It's all trial and error really I think, just muddle my way through

We have a cradle at the moment and I can touch him in it but this isn't good enough for him! Even on the bed last night (the first time I've given him a few minutes on the bed with me) beside me he was still hysterical, he had to be snuggled right up to me. Our double bed just isn't at all big enough for me to sleep knowing he's there, too much risk of him falling if he's on the side or getting squished/smothered between us. Also he was premature and you're not supposed to Co sleep with prem babies.

We have a cot bed stored away for later, might try what you described bp once we could get sheets for it. He does happily sleep in his buggy and cradle about once a day, I think it's when his tummy pain acts up he hates it, like right now when the cutie is asleep on my chest for the last hour while I read crap online to stay awake!

Trainee he hates nappy or clothes changes no matter what mood he's in! And as for baths...he'd be a great tortured extra in Game of Thrones! Hope all is going well for you, my bp is in normal range most of the time now, 24hr monitor this week now. Hope to be off med completely soon.

Have you tried any of the like of infacol or gripe water for the wind? Does he has trouble getting it up or is his tummy unsettled do you think?

My bp isn't normal yet but coming down slowly in same type of pattern of the first time so a happy that it's just a slow gradual process for me. You are doing really well with yours. Will have all crossed for you for 24 hour monitor.

traineeacc wrote: »
    Have you tried any of the like of infacol or gripe water for the wind? Does he has trouble getting it up or is his tummy unsettled do you think?

Yep have tried both of them, he loves gripe water dunno how much good it does other than his love of the taste though. He gets upwards wind up no problem, as he's breastfed he doesn't get it from bottles, more likely that wind comes from his dramatic crying at any opportunity, gasping and so on. It's from his tummy down the real problems are, takes him forever to fart and has explosive poos!

I used infant probiotics on both of mine as they had trouble with unsettled tummy and constipation. Apparently (not sure how accurate this is!) section babies miss a lot of the good bacteria that babies born naturally get from their mothers. I'll caveat that by saying I have no idea if that's true but probiotics seem to work for us for tummy and toilet problems. My friend is a mid wife who told me the above! Is he doing any good stretches during the day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We've been sleeping the night for almost 2 months now. Except last night. Awake every three hrs or so. Decided soother wasn't helping his teeth so mooching til he gets it, one suck and then spitting it out sad :(

Is he doing any good stretches during the day?

He slept for 2 hours this morning and is still passed out now since 12.30 as I had hospital appt and registered his birth so he was out and about, will have to wake him soon before my boobs explode :P

Noticed this morning that a small part of my c section scar appears to have split, pretty gutted. I have no idea when it happened, I've been very good about not lifting anything heavy and have only been walking a bit for exercise. It's very difficult for me to see it and I don't really want to see it so I haven't been looking at it much at all, I was told at 2 week check up that my scar had healed perfectly so it's a pain to see this now 3 more weeks later. I've left a message for the PHN because I don't really know what to do about it, but she's off Wednesdays so it will be Thursday before I see or hear from her.

Be careful of infection spotty happened to a friend of mine. Would you go to gp or if your close and under the 6 weeks you can go back to hospital.

I have such a fear of it. I am careful but do forget myself a bit these days as I'm feeling quite well and my 3 year old wants mammy cuddles

I won't get a gp appt for days, would hear from phn first. Where would I go in hospital, up to maternity to a midwife, hardly into a&e? I was just in the bloody hospital getting bp monitor but can easily go back, I just thought this was more of a phn/gp thing. I'm a bit surprised they leave a gap of 2 week to 6 week appt to check on the scar tbh.

I was told to go back to perinatal clinic in the first instance. You could give them a call and ask if you were really worried. When i was in for the bp series there was always women in for various post natal issues ( including a woman who came in with a baby said she was too tired and jumped into a bed in the perinatal clinic for a sleep!)

I rang hospital, they said to call PHN again in the morning and hopefully see someone. It never fecking ends does it! :(

I know Spotty the men get off so handy! I just asked my friend she said the doc put a steristrip on her wound and gave her an antibiotic when that happened to her. She reckons hers happened lifting her other child.

That's what I figured steri strip and antib, hate being on more meds again :mad: One step forward one step (or more) back, so sick of this. Hopefully this is minor and heals soon. I think it must've happened getting out of bed or stretching in bed, or maybe getting up off the couch holding himself, it's a particuarly awkward move lifting myself up with no free hands. Must have a look at the wound again, much as I don't want to. I really wonder how long it's been there, could be up to a week really.

How did you get on spotty?

• Advertisement

How did you get on spotty?

I was just about to pm you :) The lovely PHN came out to look at it, she said it's either that it's the last little patch to heal or it did open a little but has resealed, with no sign of infection. It's actually not open and red, it's closed but very pink like the whole wound was weeks ago, I just can't see it well so didn't know that was what the rest of it looked like.

In other news, my 24hr bp monitor results were totally normal :D My average was 120/77, highest was 145/95 when I was in the hospital getting it put on, and it dipped to 90/55 half an hour after I went to sleep last night, she actually said "please tell me you were asleep then". She reckons they'll leave me on this one med for a few weeks then re-evaluate, unless I get dizzy in the meantime which means my natural bp has stabilised and meds make it too low. She said most drugs are out of the body within 24 hours so the time my prescription ran out and I was 55hours without it and still had just above normal bp is a good sign. I'm delighted :D

How are you getting on with the bp stuff, and how's your baby doing?

Advertisement