Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Yeah boobs wake me too, but usually get an extra hour or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Back in hospital again: S's tenth admission (although two were for day cases ;) ). 11 hours in A&E to get a bed so she's cross and I'm wrecked! Fingers crossed we get some answers though.

And on the plus side hubby gets to deal with Cs sleepwalking tonight... Poor thing really misses us when we are gone too. It's so hard on her when her mammy & sister disappear so often.

And yup I'm a complete moan :D

cyning wrote: »
    Back in hospital again: S's tenth admission (although two were for day cases ;) ). 11 hours in A&E to get a bed so she's cross and I'm wrecked! Fingers crossed we get some answers though.

And on the plus side hubby gets to deal with Cs sleepwalking tonight... Poor thing really misses us when we are gone too. It's so hard on her when her mammy & sister disappear so often.

You poor thing :-( I hope S is sorted soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

You absolutely are not, i think you're an incredible parent. You've had more than your share of hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I brought S to a different hospital this time. I wanted a fresh set of eyes. I needed it for her. It's just gone ridiculous: in the last 3 months weve had tonsilitis, she collapsed, vomiting bug, chicken pox, tonsilitis requiring hospital for 3 days, hand foot and mouth and now running low grade fevers for 24 days. That's not normal.

One of her immunoglobulin levels is a bit low. 3 times I've requested our Paed to repeat these. He had refused. So they are testing her to see if the vaccinations have worked now which would be more indicative of there being an issue. Particularly given her illnesses after all of her vaccinations.

They are doing metabolic screening too. They are also after doing X-rays and ultrasounds, tests for glandular fever, and other bloods.

She is anaemic. I've done my best for her. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that everything is normal and she's just one of those kids that pick up everything. But if it's not at least we will know. No one here has told me its "normal" for her to be so sick so often.

So my little girl has me completely stressed out. But it will all be ok :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I brought S to a different hospital this time. I wanted a fresh set of eyes. I needed it for her. It's just gone ridiculous: in the last 3 months weve had tonsilitis, she collapsed, vomiting bug, chicken pox, tonsilitis requiring hospital for 3 days, hand foot and mouth and now running low grade fevers for 24 days. That's not normal.

One of her immunoglobulin levels is a bit low. 3 times I've requested our Paed to repeat these. He had refused. So they are testing her to see if the vaccinations have worked now which would be more indicative of there being an issue. Particularly given her illnesses after all of her vaccinations.

They are doing metabolic screening too. They are also after doing X-rays and ultrasounds, tests for glandular fever, and other bloods.

She is anaemic. I've done my best for her. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that everything is normal and she's just one of those kids that pick up everything. But if it's not at least we will know. No one here has told me its "normal" for her to be so sick so often.

Fingers all crossed you finally get an answer, it's unfair on all involved to just wait and see!

We are all crossing everything. Put your foot down and insist. You are paying for these tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fredtbvfh

My calm playful peaceful little girl has turned into a screaming, tantrum throwing nightmare. over night. Tonight we have woken to tantrums three times. She won't let me come near her, screams blue murder if I try pick her up to calm her down, but won't stop crying anyway :'( it's only me parenting, I was not expecting this. I am at my wits end :'(

fredtbvfh wrote: »
    My calm playful peaceful little girl has turned into a screaming, tantrum throwing nightmare. over night. Tonight we have woken to tantrums three times. She won't let me come near her, screams blue murder if I try pick her up to calm her down, but won't stop crying anyway :'( it's only me parenting, I was not expecting this. I am at my wits end :'(

You poor thing. I have to ignore them completely ( which is very hard), but they are easing thankfully.

You need to find what works best, also when they are calm get down to their level and look them in the eye to talk

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cyng, I just have to say you are fantastic. Parents are superheroes whether they know it (or feel it) or not. Best of luck and I hope she gets well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tried calpol? She might have a pain.

pwurple wrote: »
    Tried calpol? She might have a pain.

Yeah better advice then mine - I have a new baby and so no sleep

bp wrote: »
    Yeah better advice then mine - I have a new baby and so no sleep

It's a guessing game with them all. I got so tired on my first maternity leave I printed out a list and stuck it on the wall next to the cot to remember the things to check if the baby woke unexpectedly. I think it went something like this

Too hot
    Too cold
    Lost dummy
    Hungry
    Nappy
    Frightened
    Pain

I know that sounds loopy, but I was expressing and then feeding the baby bmilk from a bottle so I was getting fricken no sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

cyning :-(
    this is going on too long hope you finally get answers. you are great coping with this all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Cyning I know it's been said before but you're an absolute trooper. Fingers crossed ye get some answers. One of my brothers was always sickly as a child. He was in and out of hospital very frequently with everything from ear/chest infections to asthma to meningitis. He would catch everything and always had something wrong with him. My mam was beside herself, convinced that there was some awful underlying condition but thankfully, it turned out that he was just unfortunate and sickly and there was nothing more serious wrong. He grew out of all of it bar the asthma by teenage years and once they had him on a good routine of medication for that, it also improved greatly. There's not a bother on him now! Hope this gives you some peace of mind x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

The. Feckin. Heat! I took a pair of scissors to an old sleepsuit yesterday, cut the legs off at the knees and the arms off above the ankles and that's what the little man slept in last night! He looked mad, but he was comfy!

nikpmup wrote: »
    The. Feckin. Heat! I took a pair of scissors to an old sleepsuit yesterday, cut the legs off at the knees and the arms off above the ankles and that's what the little man slept in last night! He looked mad, but he was comfy!

You're getting no sleep either then! :cool: Arms/ankles, Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Bahaha! The bendy bits in the arms, I meant!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

nikpmup wrote: »
    Bahaha! The bendy bits in the arms, I meant!!

Arm-ankles. Like what a toddler would call them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fredtbvfh

My almost two year old is starting to get really upset going in to creche. She loves them and is happy when she's collected but it makes it so hard to leave her. I know it's only a phase but it takes a while longer for me to get over it every day. .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

We're just putting him down in a short-sleeve vest, nothing else, but he's still sweating like mad! His poor little curls were drenched in sweat when I went to check on him last night. Not sure what else we can do to cool the room down. :/ He's still sleeping fine but I'd be worried about him catching a cold by sweating so much in his sleep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My almost two year old is starting to get really upset going in to creche. She loves them and is happy when she's collected but it makes it so hard to leave her. I know it's only a phase but it takes a while longer for me to get over it every day. .

Our son was doing that for a bit recently. They've gotten so used to it in the creche one of the women there pick him up as I'm going.

This morning the cheeky little git waved at me. I think that's all he wanted!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Between the heat and silent reflux... This tiredness is a killer. And it's way to warm for coffee!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ChewChew wrote: »
    Between the heat and silent reflux... This tiredness is a killer. And it's way to warm for coffee!!!

Iced Coffee is the only way :D:D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

John Mason wrote: »
    Iced Coffee is the only way :D:D

Never thought of that!!!!!

Nothing like a big massive poo-splotion to brighten up your Sunday morning. :mad: Poo everywhere, all over himself, myself, his high chair, the stairs, the bathroom. Yuck. Feckin Lidl nappies, they're absolutely useless!

Oh sweet mother of.... this child is actually going to give me a heart attack.

We have a little step for her, so she can help with cooking, does a bit of stirring, passing me the onions, etc. She is 16 months old. She's up on her step anyway, babbling away, I step over to the sink to get some water. Literally take my eyes off her for about 3 seconds, and she is still within reach. Turn around, and she has climbed up onto the flippen counter, is standing up on that, opened the doors, and is pulling crackers out of the cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Wow! I can't believe you let you baby cook with you! My boy is 17 months, would probably pull on the pots/ pans, throw sauce everywhere, grab a knife etc.

Also climbing is a big deal here too. New place so it took hima while to figure out the new beds/ sofas. All excited with himself for getting on the bed jumping around, before I can catch him he slips off and now has a black eye courtesy of the radiator.
    2 min later tears gone, back jumping on the bed. Give me strength.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My lad is near 16mnths and no way would i let him hekp me cook. Not a hope.
    He has a canary when helping me with the laundry and wants to put clothes back in to washing machine rather than take them out. Then when puttjng them in drier he helps for a bit, then pulls them all back out.
    Pretty sure my daughter was helping me at that age though.

• Advertisement

Mine is 18 months and would be no help! I definitely wouldn't let him stir anything, he'd be more interested in splashing it everywhere. :o

Advertisement