Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I'll let my boy help with safe things only. He insists on carrying the shopping basket, carried 2 litres of milk and some sausages down the aisle before getting upset. I always give him something easy like cheese to carry in from the car. And he likes to bring us odd shoes throughout the day....

He also likes to wake up at 6.30 am germanstyle...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My little girl is 20 months and there's certain jobs she loves like putting clothes(clean or dirty!!) in the washing machine, she also will help put cutlery away. She also will 'unpack' shopping ie pull the contents all over the floor! My husband lets her help a bit with cooking too. She stirs cold mixtures and smelling stuff as it cooks. P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

My just turned two year old doesn't create or tidy - only destroy and mess. He's like a whirlwind! Although he has just learned to colour with crayons and not eat them 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Wow! I can't believe you let you baby cook with you! My boy is 17 months, would probably pull on the pots/ pans, throw sauce everywhere, grab a knife etc.

Yeah, I think it's not be the brightest idea I ever had!:o

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Making a homemade pizza is great fun for toddlers, if you chop the toppings and let them put them on. I started with that one, I wanted to get him interested in food as he became quite fussy. Then making omelettes, as they are on a nice low heat, and he gets to sprinkle the cheese and ham in it got him finally eating eggs for me. He gets to stir pots where I've stuff on a low heat, it teaches him about how the cooker and pots get hot, and he's aware now not to pull them down on himself because now he can reach.

Cookies are good fun too, if you make up the dough beforehand. You can make in bulk and freeze it in portions, just defrost and away you go. Even making sandwiches can be good fun for them. Or I sit him at the table with a pot of cold water and as I chop the veg he puts it in.

If you are baking though, a damp cloth under a bowl stops it sliding around on the worktop, which is easier for kids, and I tend to use my heavier pots when he's helping so the are less likely to go skidding off the hob when he gets a bit carried away stirring. :)

I think its helped my lad to try more foods for me, which I'm delighted at. But I try to keep dinner simple for me when he is helping because you cant concentrate on making a fancy dish with a toddler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Brilliant - thanks for the tips. Will try them tomorrow ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Last night I got 7 hours unbroken, I have no idea why they've decided to sleep but dear lord thank you! Now I know I've jinxed myself by saying this but I'm high on rest!!!!

As the advice here is always spot on, my 3 month old combination fed baby is refusing bottles. We both have tried, I left the house etc.

Any other suggestions?? He pushes it away and screaming and we don't want the toddler woken :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

bp wrote: »
    As the advice here is always spot on, my 3 month old combination fed baby is refusing bottles. We both have tried, I left the house etc.

Any other suggestions?? He pushes it away and screaming and we don't want the toddler woken :-(

Is it formula or breast milk? My little madam (8 weeks today!) will take a bottle no bother if it's breast milk but if it's formula she messes with it and only drinks it if she's really hungry. She isn't combination fed a as the formula is for emergencies really but maybe your baba is just really into your milk?

Its both. He used to take either now neither :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It could be teeth coming up bp, the bottle hits right where it's sore. Bit of baby bonjela beforehand worked for us.

Dolbert wrote: »
    It could be teeth coming up bp, the bottle hits right where it's sore. Bit of baby bonjela beforehand worked for us.

Yeah he has two white tips, hadn't thought of that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Anyone else got a velcro baby? Little man is 18 months, and i cannot do anything without him shouting and wanting to be in my arms. Driving me insane. When i set him down after a cuddle (cause i do need to get dinner on, etc etc) he will scream blue murder, raise his arms up, and then throw himself onto the floor...the drama :( hope this passes soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

galah wrote: »
    Anyone else got a velcro baby? Little man is 18 months, and i cannot do anything without him shouting and wanting to be in my arms. Driving me insane. When i set him down after a cuddle (cause i do need to get dinner on, etc etc) he will scream blue murder, raise his arms up, and then throw himself onto the floor...the drama :( hope this passes soon...

Get a sling/carrier?

There's a major leap around 18 mths. Supposed to be hell! Try and ride it out as best you can. Agree if you can get him into a sling on your back it can be a lifesaver for meal prep?

He absolutely hates the sling :o it's so hard cause he's the total opposite of his brother - you think you had it all sussed and then you enter opposite land. This one doesnt sleep, ever, is so clingy and so much hard work, albeit with a sweeter temperament, compared to his rather easy to manage (yet full of mischief and up to no good) brother...

Bleh.

Have to read uo on the stupid leaps again, forgot about those...:rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

He absolutely hates the sling :o it's so hard cause he's the total opposite of his brother - you think you had it all sussed and then you enter opposite land. This one doesnt sleep, ever, is so clingy and so much hard work, albeit with a sweeter temperament, compared to his rather easy to manage (yet full of mischief and up to no good) brother...

Bleh.

Which sling do you have? There's so many types available maybe he would like a different one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Bleh.

I think (*hope*) we are just coming out the other side of that 18 mth leap. Our lad wanted no one but mammy and cried if I even left the room to use the loo, whether Daddy was with him or not. It lasted a few weeks. But I don't have any advice other than riding it out. We just took it one day at a time and he seems to be less clingy now. He's just turned 19 months. He seems to be more content to play on his own now which is absolutely great because it means I can actually drink my tea while its still warm ;)!

Thanks gals :o off on holidays now so at least the pressure to cook and clean and all that annoying stuff is off; he can be clingy now as i'll have a lot more time:) still hope it's just a phase tho cause it can get a bit too much.

Angeldelight - i have a manduca, but he's never taken to it ( unlike his brother who lived in that thing). I tried a ring sling and a normal tie one as well, when he was a bit smaller, neither any good. Not gonna buy another one at this stage...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Thanks gals :o off on holidays now so at least the pressure to cook and clean and all that annoying stuff is off; he can be clingy now as i'll have a lot more time:) still hope it's just a phase tho cause it can get a bit too much.

Angeldelight - i have a manduca, but he's never taken to it ( unlike his brother who lived in that thing). I tried a ring sling and a normal tie one as well, when he was a bit smaller, neither any good. Not gonna buy another one at this stage...:o

That's a pain alright! Depending on where you live there could be a sling library nearby where you can rent slings quite cheaply if you were interested. I tried the manduca and my little girl didn't like it but she likes others - funny how some take to them and some don't. Enjoy your holidays!

• Advertisement

Ok ladies I was feeling brave this lunch time and let my 17 mth old help!
    So we only had pita pizzas, and he managed to smear the pizza sauce on his face rather than the base, and then decided to eat the cheese instead of put it on top! So I think I'll return to this when he's about 17 yrs.....

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ok ladies I was feeling brave this lunch time and let my 17 mth old help!
    So we only had pita pizzas, and he managed to smear the pizza sauce on his face rather than the base, and then decided to eat the cheese instead of put it on top! So I think I'll return to this when he's about 17 yrs.....

I forgot to mention that it is a messy activity and you should have the water on for a bath while you are pizza building, didn't I? :o

Ah feck the bath! He's constantly filthy, no one would notice anyway lol!

What I wouldn't give for a full nights sleep 😞 there's 18 months between my two and just as the baby started sleeping the night, the toddler started waking 😞 Now they are both sick so the toddler is sleeping soundly but the baby's awake, why can't they just get in sync for one night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

What I wouldn't give for a full nights sleep 😞 there's 18 months between my two and just as the baby started sleeping the night, the toddler started waking 😞 Now they are both sick so the toddler is sleeping soundly but the baby's awake, why can't they just get in sync for one night

They will eventually sync up... And then number 3 will come hahaha

They will eventually sync up... And then number 3 will come hahaha

Not for me!!!

Not for me!!!

Lol that's what I said but I also have no self control. Especially when I think of tiny little baby smells

Lol that's what I said but I also have no self control. Especially when I think of tiny little baby smells

I'm about to pass the point with my youngest where she is the same age as her sister was when she was born, unless a baby appears before then we're done! Equality is good, no idea who we'd cope if they outnumbered us!

Also I have a very clingy cat, who I count as my hairy baby so technically there are 3 :) Yes, newborns rock but have plenty of family and friends who can have them and I can enjoy the best parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Oh man. My lads been a great sleeper since about 6 weeks old or so with a few glitches along the way. However he currently has the sniffles and the last two nights have been horrendous. Literally waking every single sleep cycle. I'm so tired :(

• Advertisement

I'm about to pass the point with my youngest where she is the same age as her sister was when she was born, unless a baby appears before then we're done! Equality is good, no idea who we'd cope if they outnumbered us!

Also I have a very clingy cat, who I count as my hairy baby so technically there are 3 :) Yes, newborns rock but have plenty of family and friends who can have them and I can enjoy the best parts

I'm laughing because I was you 2 weeks ago. My daughter had just reached the age that my son was when she was born and everyone is sleeping, all the baby stuff has been thrown out and the house is calm. If anyone asked me would I have another I would say I was definitely done and then I got a lovely surprise lol

Advertisement