Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Oh man. My lads been a great sleeper since about 6 weeks old or so with a few glitches along the way. However he currently has the sniffles and the last two nights have been horrendous. Literally waking every single sleep cycle. I'm so tired :(

You see, I was spoiled with my first as she slept so well until her sister came along!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

You see, I was spoiled with my first as she slept so well until her sister came along!

This lad has been sick for the week. Also my body hates me. This is the first night he's more comfortable, I just slept from 1215-345 which is amazing. However I now feel like crap, throat is dry and everything hurts. I'm really hoping it's just that my body can't cope with the extra sleep... On the plus side after many inhaler doses yesterday my chest seems to have loosened. Now if only the water would work

I'm laughing because I was you 2 weeks ago. My daughter had just reached the age that my son was when she was born and everyone is sleeping, all the baby stuff has been thrown out and the house is calm. If anyone asked me would I have another I would say I was definitely done and then I got a lovely surprise lol

Surprises are good too! Congrats

This lad has been sick for the week. Also my body hates me. This is the first night he's more comfortable, I just slept from 1215-345 which is amazing. However I now feel like crap, throat is dry and everything hurts. I'm really hoping it's just that my body can't cope with the extra sleep... On the plus side after many inhaler doses yesterday my chest seems to have loosened. Now if only the water would work

Even my excellent sleeper used to do that when she got a cold, every other illness made her zonk big time - I remember her sleeping for 39 in a 48 hour period when she had an ear infection and it would have been more only we lifted her to eat

My two must be reading this, they both slept til 7:15 this morning, no waking at all, even the 3 year old who was going to bed nappyless for the first time, she's been trained since January but we've waited for her to night train herself

So on course I'm exhausted as I didn't sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Even my excellent sleeper used to do that when she got a cold, every other illness made her zonk big time - I remember her sleeping for 39 in a 48 hour period when she had an ear infection and it would have been more only we lifted her to eat

My two must be reading this, they both slept til 7:15 this morning, no waking at all, even the 3 year old who was going to bed nappyless for the first time, she's been trained since January but we've waited for her to night train herself

So on course I'm exhausted as I didn't sleep!

He did the sleep silly amount of hours with a tummy bug the last time. I have thought longingly of it this week (even though I nearly had heart failure when he was going through it). This time he woke every 20-40 minutes all night for three nights!

That's a successful night for you!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I think I have just hit the wall.

15 months in and he has slept through for 10 nights in total. We are currently back to newborn waking of every 2-3 hours.

I had to leave work yesterday because I was so tired. I am very close to asking the doctor to signing me off for a week so I can get some sleep during the day while the monster is in crèche.

He never sits still, he is walking since he is 10 months, started running at 11 months and hasn't stopped:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Had a full-on wakeful night last night, first time in aaaages. She's picked up a little bit of a cold, as have I. It's not enough to make you feel fuzzy or miserable, but it's just enough of a dry throat, slight cough and iffy tummy to disrupt your sleep. This week she managed to have an nighttime accident for the first time since we potty trained her, and has woken a couple of other times looking for a drink or a soother. But last night was like having a 1 year old again.

Woke up screaming, wanted nothing except to cuddle, wouldn't say what (if anything was wrong), didn't want calpol. Eventually, wanting some sleep, we brought her into our bed. We know she won't sleep in our bed, but we sometimes try it anyway when we're out of options. I don't know why. We all snoozed for maybe 30 minutes, and then she woke up and spent the time rolling about in the bed, looking for cuddles, trying to get out of the bed and go exploring, etc etc.

Luckily she was tired enough to be malleable, so you'd just tell her to lie down and go back to sleep and she'd try that. For about 60 seconds.

An hour of this messing later we just said, "Right, you're going back to bed, here's a bottle". She screamed and shouted for about 90 seconds, but she was too knackered and fell asleep. And it was bright outside. It's been a while since I've seen that side of the morning.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

John Mason wrote: »

15 months in and he has slept through for 10 nights in total. We are currently back to newborn waking of every 2-3 hours.

I had to leave work yesterday because I was so tired. I am very close to asking the doctor to signing me off for a week so I can get some sleep during the day while the monster is in crèche.

He never sits still, he is walking since he is 10 months, started running at 11 months and hasn't stopped:(

I sympathise - I had a baby like this up until 2.5 I could count on my hands how many nights I didn't have to get up a minimum of one time. Most nights were at least three times, bad nights it was about six. And a ball of energy at all other times. I was a zombie at work - you did right getting signed off and using the time to recharge.

He sleeps through now perfectly though still would be grand on 7 hours of sleep rather than the 11 or 12 that his counterparts seem to need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I have one of those! He is 4 now and while still wild it gets a lot easier. For a start he is more stable and I'm not afraid of him killing himself anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaysus, just had a stressful one putting her down. Screaming crying, looking for hugs, I asked if she was scared, she said she was and that two of her toys were scaring her. Proper tears everything going on. Maybe I invited it with the "scared" question, but has anyone encountered anything like this suddenly coming on before?

She's 3 in October, and she woke the same screaming and crying last night, I suspected she'd had a nightmare. But again I asked if she was scared, she didn't offer the information, so maybe she was just latching onto any excuse to try keep me in the room.

Screamed for 30 seconds when I left the room, but then out like a light :/

• Advertisement

Yep, once their imagination kicks in getting scared is a big issue. We got a night light in mothercare, it's a sensor so only comes on when it's dark, she likes it and the reassurance it gives her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fredtbvfh

How do people do it.. I'm so fluey and just want to go to bed but I can't until the baby goes..

fredtbvfh wrote: »
    How do people do it.. I'm so fluey and just want to go to bed but I can't until the baby goes..

Yes, sick leave no longer exists, it's when TV becomes your friend, if they're old enough. Strangely I find that being a dad doesn't negate sick time though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I'm losing the plot already! Husband has gone on business trip less than 12 hrs ago and my boy has spent the entire day whinging and pulling out of me. He only napped for 1 hr so i only got cleaning done and no down time which on days like today i desperately need.

Now Ive spent the last 2 hrs trying to get him to sleep. Hes just bouncing around the cot throwing the soother out. If i leave the room he screams bloody murder.

And if the f***ING cat doesn't f off and stop crying at the door in going to kill it!

I'm losing the plot already! Husband has gone on business trip less than 12 hrs ago and my boy has spent the entire day whinging and pulling out of me. He only napped for 1 hr so i only got cleaning done and no down time which on days like today i desperately need.

Now Ive spent the last 2 hrs trying to get him to sleep. Hes just bouncing around the cot throwing the soother out. If i leave the room he screams bloody murder.

And if the f***ING cat doesn't f off and stop crying at the door in going to kill it!

Do you have my cat??? They always open their mouths at the worst time!

I found mine never settled with me in the room. Yes they'd scream after I left but it tended to end more quickly than I anticipated

He finally dropped off! All I want is some wine but I've none :( chocolate it is!

Unfortunately my fella gets very distressed v quickly. He gets sick after about 3 min of crying so can't be left alone.

I've 2 very annoying cats, you don't see them all day but when it's nap time or bedtime they suddenly appear all clingy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My cat has senses when the best (worst) possible time to meow is! Usually that give minute window of peace....Ah a sit down cue meow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

We have this often with our little guy - I posted about it here - and this is what we have learned to do.

On the days when our lad only wants to act the maggot in the cot and shows no intention of going to sleep, we just say goodnight and leave the room. Yes, he'll give out when we leave but we will wait for around 10 mins and go back up, lie him down again (because he's normally standing in protest at this stage) and see if he is willing to lie quietly and go to sleep with mammy or daddy sitting on the bed beside the cot.
    If he starts acting the maggot again, we leave the room again. After about 2 or 3 goes of this, he'll get the message that we will only stay if he is willing to lie quietly and go to sleep and then he'll normally do just that.

I can only say what worked for us, but maybe give it a go if it happens again.

We have this often with our little guy - I posted about it here - and this is what we have learned to do.

On the days when our lad only wants to act the maggot in the cot and shows no intention of going to sleep, we just say goodnight and leave the room. Yes, he'll give out when we leave but we will wait for around 10 mins and go back up, lie him down again (because he's normally standing in protest at this stage) and see if he is willing to lie quietly and go to sleep with mammy or daddy sitting on the bed beside the cot.
    If he starts acting the maggot again, we leave the room again. After about 2 or 3 goes of this, he'll get the message that we will only stay if he is willing to lie quietly and go to sleep and then he'll normally do just that.

I can only say what worked for us, but maybe give it a go if it happens again.

We can do that if he's not upset, some nights it's grand, he messes away for a bit and my husbands writes some emails in his office in the next room. But once he starts crying we have to go into him otherwise hell puke everywhere in no time :( pain in the face changing sheets at night! And he gets all hyped up by the activity going on.

It's not usually as bad as last night, we were both just really hot and crabby! It's 35 degrees here and we've no ac.

His nap was good today so fingers crossed for a better night tonight!

Omg my daughter was begging for bed at 5! There was no pushing her out. She fell asleep on the chair and refused to get up. Tonight is going to be awful and I'm up at 5 for morning sickness/work!!! Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me for a good night lol I won't hold my breath!

• Advertisement

bp wrote: »
    My cat has senses when the best (worst) possible time to meow is! Usually that give minute window of peace....Ah a sit down cue meow!

My cat all over. He is so clingy which is very strange for an old cat! I want a cantankerous old Garfield that wants nothing to do with me lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fredtbvfh

Got my hair cut today and it is awful :( he chipped away nearly all of my hair (a slight exagération). He thinned it out WAY too much.. after he showed me the first bit I told him that was too much but hr continued doing the same. . The length is about 2 inches shorter than I wanted it and the fringe stops halfway up my forehead. . Agh :(

I am blind without my glasses so couldn't actually see what he was doing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Hi
    is it ok for men to pop in here!
    In a daddy of 6 days and we are all doing good.
    some great information in this thread. In enjoying it.
    h2ff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

You're not alone. Our youngest is 18months, same thing. Maybe got two weeks of sleep through since he was born. I've developed a twitch in my eye from the tiredness, am supercranky most of the time, and barely able to stand up in the evenings from sheer exhaustion. i hope this stops soon; very tempted to bring him to doc for a checkup, starting to freak that something is wrong with him that he never sleeps. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

And +1 on the poxy cat. Dont see her for dust all day, but the second you try and put the kids to bed, she starts wailing cause she's hungry, wants out, wants in, wants a hug, or is just bored.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i just keep telling myself he will sleep when he is ready.

i have spent my life listening to my mother telling me that i never slept until i was 2.5:(:(

Hi
    h2ff.

It depends... How comfortable are you with period talk?!? :-P congrats on your new arrival!

I was about to post 10 mins ago to say both my kids were still asleep, but as per Murphy's law in walked my 3 year old who had an accident in bed because she slept in :( So off I went to strip the bed, again! Stripping in the bedroom used to mean something so much fun, where have those days gone!

I was about to post 10 mins ago to say both my kids were still asleep, but as per Murphy's law in walked my 3 year old who had an accident in bed because she slept in :( So off I went to strip the bed, again! Stripping in the bedroom used to mean something so much fun, where have those days gone!

The darker mornings are great. I get up at 5 for work and all summer I've had the whole clan up with me. This week nobody has even stirred. It's great being able to get ready without children pulling out of your leg and getting into your make up.

Fun stripping leads to sex which leads to babies which leads to a lack of fun stripping. Its a vicious cycle lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Hi
    h2ff.

I'm a daddy of 3 days and luckily so far its been fairly easy on myself and my partner.
    Little J wakes twice at night for his feed but good stretches between feeds so mummy is getting some rest.
    I'm on minding duty with our 2.5 year old but its really easy with him, he's been so easygoing since birth and get his routine quickly.
    Not to jynx things but baby seems to be a lot like his big bro.

Advertisement