Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

bp wrote: »
    Mine just hates naps, would be about to pass out and would not sleep :-(

I had one of these! Everyone said oh just wait until he starts school. I waited, he started and he is always wrecked now but its too little too late as far as I'm concerned lol I'll never get those hours of sleep back or the smooth unwrinkled eye skin :P

Mine just hates naps, would be about to pass out and would not sleep :-(

I had one of these! Everyone said oh just wait until he starts school. I waited, he started and he is always wrecked now but its too little too late as far as I'm concerned lol I'll never get those hours of sleep back or the smooth unwrinkled eye skin :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My guy hated naps until about 14 mths maybe? It was always difficult, more time spent trying to get him to nap than actually napping! Would only sleep in our arms etc. he slowly improved and now by 20 months he's sleeping crazy deep and for ages! He used to wake at the slightest sound, and at least 5 times a night. Now he wakes usually once for his lost soother but I honestly can't believe the difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My little fella went to bed fine but woke up suddenly an hour ago with a temperature of 39.3 :eek: No other symptoms or apparent pain/crying. Gave him nurofen and it has finally come down to 38.1 so I'm here now eating doritos on the couch, trying to find something on telly to keep me awake so that I can check on him and give him a dose of calpol in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My little fella went to bed fine but woke up suddenly an hour ago with a temperature of 39.3 :eek: No other symptoms or apparent pain/crying. Gave him nurofen and it has finally come down to 38.1 so I'm here now eating doritos on the couch, trying to find something on telly to keep me awake so that I can check on him and give him a dose of calpol in an hour.

How is he now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My daughter had a temp of 38.5 yesterday evening. I gave a good dose of calpol before bed and she was awake but very quiet (a real sign that she wasn't well!) at 10pm so I gave her nurofen. She was fine this morning. I just hope this isn't the start of the bugs. It's too early. I want to get to Christmas at least.

How is he now?

It came down to 37 a few hours after the nurofen thank god but is back up at 38 this morning. Poor little fella has had a rough time of it recently. He had an antibiotic a few weeks ago for a chest infection and then got another one last week because the first one hadn't been strong enough and didn't clear the infection properly so his ears and throat were at him. Then we had to take him to the emergency doctor saturday night because he was screaming with stomach pains (very unlike him) and the dr said that the second antibiotic was too strong on his stomach. She said it had already done its work on the infection so she stopped it and he seemed all better for a few days but now this :( Gonna keep giving him the calpol/nurofen and watch him through the day and if he's no better when OH gets home it'll be back to the doctor with us.

I hate sick season :( The mad part is, he didn't get his first cold until he was nearly 1 but since his sister was born, it's been a constant circle of sickness. As soon as one gets better, the other one gets sick again. Ugh we're in for a long winter!

Oh Mrspostman I hope it clears soon

Me too. On the upside, I got to eat a whole big bag of doritos and watch Dancing at Lughnasa in peace at 1 o clock this morning. Small pleasures :pac:

My son was the very same last week. Nothing else just crazy temp and lethargic . Temp went after a day later and then this awful cough came on. My daughter has is it now. Sounds very croupy and they are both hoarse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Clingon baby phase. Would not even lie down without screaming her head off. Daddy wouldn't do. Teddy wouldn't do. Dolly wouldn't do. Just all four limbs stuck to my left arm. Tried to separate to roll over and get some sleep myself at 1, 3 and 5am. Screaming recommenced. Zero sleep for me, and the rest of the house is pretty shattered too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Chest infection and croup here. He's currently asleep half sitting up under my arm with his head on my chest. Every time I try to lie him down he starts coughing. Going to be a long night. Particularly since he gave me his cold

Chest infection and croup here. He's currently asleep half sitting up under my arm with his head on my chest. Every time I try to lie him down he starts coughing. Going to be a long night. Particularly since he gave me his cold

Were the same .Roaring temp and croup cough! I have work now and consultants visit in Holmes street later. I just want to stay in bed today!

Were the same .Roaring temp and croup cough! I have work now and consultants visit in Holmes street later. I just want to stay in bed today!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Cough, no temp but clammy to the touch here. he woke at 2am and went back to sleep at 5am.

the alarm clock went off at 6am - lots of coffee today

My fellas temperature is still up around 38 but thankfully no sign of a cough or anything else. He's a bit clingier and paler than usual and one of his lower canines is coming through so I'm wondering now if it's teething that's pushing his temp up?

Bit of a long shot here as I know this is rare but has anybody had any experience of circumvallate placenta? Dr Google is throwing up some pretty scary stuff so I'm staying away lol would love to hear from anyone about this and what I can expect with this condition! I have come across very little across the parenting forums so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Goin insane. Toddler has been screaming all weekend, she is not doing what she is told, she is shouting no at me like a demon, I'm ready to run away. I know she doesn't understand, I know she's only two, but I can't take this any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Makapakka wrote: »
    Goin insane. Toddler has been screaming all weekend, she is not doing what she is told, she is shouting no at me like a demon, I'm ready to run away. I know she doesn't understand, I know she's only two, but I can't take this any more.

Can totally sympathise, my 21 month old is the exact same, screaming no all day long, so aggressive! I've started putting her in time out when she screams, but god it wears you down

My first was so quiet in comparison

It will pass, but toddlers are sent to try us

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Can totally sympathise, my 21 month old is the exact same, screaming no all day long, so aggressive! I've started putting her in time out when she screams, but god it wears you down

My first was so quiet in comparison

It will pass, but toddlers are sent to try us

She won't even sit on timeout :( I put her down on it but she just gets up or flings herself on the floor

• Advertisement

Makapakka wrote: »
    She won't even sit on timeout :( I put her down on it but she just gets up or flings herself on the floor

Yep, I'm getting that too. I just leave her to it, only works if we're home, and let her cry it out. She's so strong minded, she's like a mini me so I know I grew out of it (somewhat) and hope that she does too

Yeah have those days too, but thankfully getting better with better talking and my attention for good behavior. The whining wears me down!

I used to either a) walk off and ignore b) offer food or c) give up on put on the tv (which always made it worse so have stopped that)

Another unruly two year old girl here! Murder at the shops. Murder in the school yard collecting my son! Think its the full moon lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

2 is way too young to understand timeout. I actually really dislike any exclusion tactics as it's so like bullying.

Have you tried a glitter bottle? Fill a clear plastic bottle with water and glitter and turn it upside down, try and help them breath slowly and watch it all fall to the bottom. Very calming. Might help

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

2 is way too young to understand timeout. I actually really dislike any exclusion tactics as it's so like bullying.

Have you tried a glitter bottle? Fill a clear plastic bottle with water and glitter and turn it upside down, try and help them breath slowly and watch it all fall to the bottom. Very calming. Might help

It's not like bullying

It's a little bit of calm down time.

30 seconds is usually enough.

like your glitter bottle idea

Our fella isn't unruly as such but he's going through an awful screeching phase. Screech when he wants something. Screech when he doesn't get it. Screech when he does get it because he didn't get it in the precise manner/at the precise time that he wanted it :o In fairness, it's fairly easy to distract him and snap him out of it but my god, it hurts my ears. The neighbours must think I do be killing him.

We have nowhere really to put him for time out and he wouldn't understand having to sit/stand still yet. One day last week we resorted to putting him up into his cot to cool off when he got hysterical at dinner (who doesn't like risotto???) and we totally regret it because now every time we put him into his cot at night or for his nap, he starts roaring crying :(

So I'm bullying my child? Lovely!

I actually find it gives them time to calm down, so the situation can be resolved. Also, my youngest understands time out, she sees her sister use it. I believe it's important to be consistent, if the eldest gets time out for naughty behaviour the youngest will begin to understand that they will receive the same for naughty behaviour.

It works really well for us, but maybe I have a warped view

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So I'm bullying my child? Lovely!

Often it is the case (and I'm not saying this is every case; and that includes the poster that you are responding to) that the person who says something like that has no personal experience of an exceptionally unruly toddler and view everything through the prism of their own child's behavioural patterns.. Our lad is hard work from morning until night. Real hard work. He always has you on edge that he's about to do something bad or hurt some other child. Now we know he'll grow out of it but it's a trying time. Our neighbour's twin toddlers however are inactive little lads who are afraid of their shadows.. As a consequence though they are much easier to parent.

No child is the same.

No child responds the same.

And every parent has to find out what works or doesn't work for their child. A lot of the time it feels like nothing works. But you gotta keep trying.

I personally can't see how short timeouts are a case of bullying.. Our young lad (30 months) had to have a bit of time in his room yesterday after he bounced his younger brother's head off the floor (deliberately and purposefully did so)..

We know him. And talking to him doesn't work. He just laughs back at you. You can distract him for a while but as soon as he's left to his own devices; he'll do the same thing again. Breaks our hearts.

lawred2 wrote: »
    No child is the same.

No child responds the same.

I think this is a key point, I have two who are 18 months apart, as different as could be but timeout works for my youngest because she sees her sister, but was she to he first born it would be redundant, she's strong minded

• Advertisement

I think this is a key point, I have two who are 18 months apart, as different as could be but timeout works for my youngest because she sees her sister, but was she to he first born it would be redundant, she's strong minded

While exclusion is a tactic used by bullies, it doesn't mean that exclusion in all cases is bullying! Depends on how its executed ! When discipline is coming from a place of love most parents won't go far wrong (hopefully)

Advertisement