Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

And sure isn't it better than a belt from a wooden spoon! Irish parenting has come a long way lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I have locked myself in the toilet for peace/ use the facilities and my toodler is outside banging on the door saying "mammy open door....I want peace and quite for two minutes".....doesn't seem to get the concept of peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

bp wrote: »
    I have locked myself in the toilet for peace/ use the facilities and my toodler is outside banging on the door saying "mammy open door....I want peace and quite for two minutes".....doesn't seem to get the concept of peace!

Yes, I never thought going to the toilet alone would be such a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I said i don't like it . Everyone's parenting style is different. It honestly totally depends on how you execute it, but i try and not do anything to my child that i wouldn't do to an adult. If he is having 'big feelings' be they overly positive or negative, we remove him from the situation. But i don't leave him alone. We hug it out, i try to explain the situation, we use the glitter bottle etc. I feel like if i ignore his situation i am telling him his feelings are wrong when they aren't. His actions might not be appropriate but i explain that to him. It's a style that is working well for us so far. And my boy is no angel. He is hyperactive and non verbal so it is not easy.

I said i don't like it . Everyone's parenting style is different. It honestly totally depends on how you execute it, but i try and not do anything to my child that i wouldn't do to an adult. If he is having 'big feelings' be they overly positive or negative, we remove him from the situation. But i don't leave him alone. We hug it out, i try to explain the situation, we use the glitter bottle etc. I feel like if i ignore his situation i am telling him his feelings are wrong when they aren't. His actions might not be appropriate but i explain that to him. It's a style that is working well for us so far. And my boy is no angel. He is hyperactive and non verbal so it is not easy.

I get what your saying! I'm not opposed to time out but I don't actually use it myself! My son is wild and soft at the same time! Very emotional and time outs generally ended very badly when I attempted them! They do work very well for other ppl and I have noticed that with friends!

• Advertisement

My time out is me counting to 10 while they sit on a chair in plain view, then we say sorry, hug and say what was wrong. Then it is over and we go back to playing....it works here but others it doesn't work for.

Just used it as they bit me down below.....that was just plain old sore!

My time out is me counting to 10 while they sit on a chair in plain view, then we say sorry, hug and say what was wrong. Then it is over and we go back to playing....it works here but others it doesn't work for.

Just used it as they bit me down below.....that was just plain old sore!

Pmsl is that a typo?

Pmsl is that a typo?

Nope! For a second I wondered how my zip managed to catch me there and then I realised it wasn't my zip!!!

Nope! For a second I wondered how my zip managed to catch me there and then I realised it wasn't my zip!!!

Oh god! They are like ninjas! My little one tore my cornea last year and I literally didn't even see it coming!

Bug in the house alert! They both woke up and started puking in unison! The house stinks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Our 2 year old has been under the weather the last few days and god forgive me, i had been sending him to daycare anyway ( cleared by the doc) , because i have a 6 wk old here breastfeeding on demand and just could not see how I can keep our toddler entertained all day aswell! But hubby said the poor little guy was sad going in there this morning, so I am feeling even worse about it now! Am keeping him home tomorrow definitely, if he is still the same. Feel like the worst mother ever! Anyone got tips on how to get through the day and keep the little guy happy while breastfeeding bubs etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Lego; jigsaws and colouring always worked really well here

Failing all of that tv was my saviour, it was for a short time but enough to get baby fed and keep toddler happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Lego; jigsaws and colouring always worked really well here

Failing all of that tv was my saviour, it was for a short time but enough to get baby fed and keep toddler happy

This! Also sticker books keep my 3yo and my 20month old entertained for ages. Playdoh is handy aswell!

Our 2 year old has been under the weather the last few days and god forgive me, i had been sending him to daycare anyway ( cleared by the doc) , because i have a 6 wk old here breastfeeding on demand and just could not see how I can keep our toddler entertained all day aswell! But hubby said the poor little guy was sad going in there this morning, so I am feeling even worse about it now! Am keeping him home tomorrow definitely, if he is still the same. Feel like the worst mother ever! Anyone got tips on how to get through the day and keep the little guy happy while breastfeeding bubs etc?

Failing that I generally break out the stuff that I don't normally let them do! Like put towels all over the kitchen floor give a basin and some dishes! They love washing dishes! Everyone is drowned but you would be amazed how long I get out of that when i need to do stuff !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Yup, definitely stickers, play doh and last resort water play.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

When does it get easier ? my 19 month old was up at 10pm, 11pm and 11.50pm until 5.15am this morning. then the getting up alarm went off at 6.15am.

re: timeout we have tried it, he understands completely and has managed to take the power back from me by when he has his 3 warning, he wanders over to sit on the last step and sits there smiling at me until the his minute is up.

we do the hugs etc, he walks a few steps with me and then turns around and sits back down on the step - with a look of "haha I don't care what you say or do and you cant do anything about it"

John Mason wrote: »
    When does it get easier ? my 19 month old was up at 10pm, 11pm and 11.50pm until 5.15am this morning. then the getting up alarm went off at 6.15am.

re: timeout we have tried it, he understands completely and has managed to take the power back from me by when he has his 3 warning, he wanders over to sit on the last step and sits there smiling at me until the his minute is up.

we do the hugs etc, he walks a few steps with me and then turns around and sits back down on the step - with a look of "haha I don't care what you say or do and you cant do anything about it"

It gets easier when you accept that this is your life for the foreseeable lol my acceptance came after 2nd baby was born! No going back now I thought. Life got so much easier when number 2 came. Ppl think I'm mad when I say that but its the genuine truth!

I have number 3 on the way now and I'm told thats a complete game changer and a logistical nightmare so watch this space lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

It gets easier when you accept that this is your life for the foreseeable lol my acceptance came after 2nd baby was born! No going back now I thought. Life got so much easier when number 2 came. Ppl think I'm mad when I say that but its the genuine truth!

I have number 3 on the way now and I'm told thats a complete game changer and a logistical nightmare so watch this space lol

A friend of mine with five under five (including twins) told me "Your life is ruined with the first anyways, so you might as well go on!" :D

A friend of mine with five under five (including twins) told me "Your life is ruined with the first anyways, so you might as well go on!" :D

Hahaha its true though! Just surrender because your life will never be the same again! The sooner you realise that, the sooner you can get on with making your new life great! Easier said I know ! The first is the hardest for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm pregnant with my second now but my first has developmental delays so I'm terrified as to how busy it'll be. I always thought we'd have 3 kids but in reality (all going well) I'd be about 39 having my third. Have you/would you consider going again at that age?

yellow hen wrote: »
    I'm pregnant with my second now but my first has developmental delays so I'm terrified as to how busy it'll be. I always thought we'd have 3 kids but in reality (all going well) I'd be about 39 having my third. Have you/would you consider going again at that age?

I would love 4 kids. We would like to have our 3rd in the next couple years (haven't started tying yet) which would make me around 35 all going well. I'd then defo want to wait a few more years for the fourth as I would never ever have 2 together so quickly again! Lol. One is so so so much easier! So realistically that would make me 38-39 if we wanted a fourth. Obviously we will have to wait till then to decide whether 3 is enough or we want 4. But right now I would never rule it out. I think it's a fine age provided u don't have trouble conceiving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I would love 4 or 5 in an ideal world where money isn't an issue! My first is only 8 months old but it's mostly been easier than I expected, even with the fact that he still wakes every 2-3 hours all night! Breastfeeding has been a walk in the park, my husband is brilliant and our lifestyle hasn't changed very much at all so that all helps. But realistically with finances, work, and depending on my health during pregnancies (had pre eclampsia) we'll definitely try for another, possibly two. I'd try again in the morning if it wasn't for work (self employed) and c section scar. I'm 30 he's 35, so age wise I would prefer not to be having small babies quite far into his 40s, just from a financial point of view. If we win the lotto we can have them til we're ancient :D

I would be happy with three...hubby happy with two...So will probably be only two :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I would be happy with three...hubby happy with two...So will probably be only two :-(

I would like 3 my husband is happier with 2. He's 37 and I'm 30 (currently pregnant on number two). It took us a year each time to get pregnant so I think he's worried he'll be in his 40's by the time 3 gets here whereas I don't have the same concerns.

I have my powers of persuasion :)

I just figure you cannot have half a baby and financially it makes sense.....Feck this logic stuff!!

Watch this space :)

Digs wrote: »
    I would like 3 my husband is happier with 2. He's 37 and I'm 30 (currently pregnant on number two). It took us a year each time to get pregnant so I think he's worried he'll be in his 40's by the time 3 gets here whereas I don't have the same concerns.

I have my powers of persuasion :)

My dad was 48 when I was born (my 2 bros and 1 sis all about 10 years older than me). He was an awesome dad and being 10 or 20 years younger wouldn't have made him any better :). You're as young as you feel I reakon. Ur OH has loads of time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Sligo1 wrote: »
    My dad was 48 when I was born (my 2 bros and 1 sis all about 10 years older than me). He was an awesome dad and being 10 or 20 years younger wouldn't have made him any better :). You're as young as you feel I reakon. Ur OH has loads of time! :)

See this is it and he knows it! My dad was in his fourties too when my youngest sister arrived and if anything she got a more relaxed, done this four times before Dad :)

He only brings it up in relation to sleepless nights but sure he'll get over that. He puts up a half hearted argument whenever it comes up... He wants a third he just doesn't to know it yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Any tips for dealing with "monsters?" S has taken to getting very frightened if he is woken up by strong winds at night and thinking it's monsters in the bed. I'm not sure where it comes from, I've made sure that any experience he has had of monsters have been funny rather than scary and in the daytime he loves singing monster mash and hugging any teddies he deems monsters but at night the wind terrifies him. He sleeps with me all the time, so it's not as if taking him into my bed for a cuddle will calm him down as that's all he knows at night but the wind noise is still scaring him. He'll calm down if I turn the light on but then it's 50/50 whether he'll go to sleep or decide it's playtime. We managed to have a decent night's sleep last night as there was no wind but the few nights before it were hellish and I can see that we're due more windy storms from Friday. :(

Digs wrote: »
    See this is it and he knows it! My dad was in his fourties too when my youngest sister arrived and if anything she got a more relaxed, done this four times before Dad :)

He only brings it up in relation to sleepless nights but sure he'll get over that. He puts up a half hearted argument whenever it comes up... He wants a third he just doesn't to know it yet :)

Lol. Well if it's half arsed there's definitely room for manoeuvre! Lol. My OH wants to stop at 3 but I will defo brooch a 4th with him when and if the time comes. He's only 30 (3 years younger than me) so can't use the age excuse. But will prob use the sleepless nights excuse. And to be fair to him... He is up so so so much more than I am with them.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

iguana wrote: »
    Any tips for dealing with "monsters?" S has taken to getting very frightened if he is woken up by strong winds at night and thinking it's monsters in the bed. I'm not sure where it comes from, I've made sure that any experience he has had of monsters have been funny rather than scary and in the daytime he loves singing monster mash and hugging any teddies he deems monsters but at night the wind terrifies him. He sleeps with me all the time, so it's not as if taking him into my bed for a cuddle will calm him down as that's all he knows at night but the wind noise is still scaring him. He'll calm down if I turn the light on but then it's 50/50 whether he'll go to sleep or decide it's playtime. We managed to have a decent night's sleep last night as there was no wind but the few nights before it were hellish and I can see that we're due more windy storms from Friday. :(

Yeah the winds are waking our guy too. Usually he's grand and understands once I tell him its the wind and goes back to sleep with a cuddle.

When he cries because of a monster I use "monster spray". Basically water in a spray bottle with a big monster sticker label on it. He knows that the stuff I spray in the loo stops germs, and that the fly spray /insect repellent repels them, so monster spray is quite logical to him. I do tell him that there are no monsters in our house because we use the spray, occasionally I squirt the rug beside the bed for some visual reassurance for him.

• Advertisement

Was about to say monster spray too

Advertisement