Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

All I want is one night of deep sleep so I can carry on for another few mpnths of getting 4-5 hours a night......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

E has been up at 5.30 every morning since the clocks went back. I am really missing our 7.30/8am starts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

loubian wrote: »
    All I want is one night of deep sleep so I can carry on for another few mpnths of getting 4-5 hours a night......

Would your mam or dad mind her for the night if you asked?

vitani wrote: »
    Would your mam or dad mind her for the night if you asked?

I don't like asking, I'd still wake up and feel guilty about them having to wake up. I'm going away on the ninth so I'll get a good sleep then hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I don't like asking, I'd still wake up and feel guilty about them having to wake up. I'm going away on the ninth so I'll get a good sleep then hopefully

My babies are 4 and 2 and I still feel guilty asking my folks to babysit but it has ti be done. If you feel you need a break ask for it. Ask for as much help as you need there is absolutely no bad in it xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I know that feeling! :)

I'm in the same situation - although with an older child - and I always felt like I was already imposing, so didn't like to ask for help. But tbh, your parents would feel awful if they knew you were finding it tough and couldn't turn to them for help.

At least you'll have your night away on the ninth though!

A has been screaming all day. She doesn't like to be held :( she's screaming screaming screaming fighting to get out of my arms, I put her down and she starts giggling. I'm so frustrated and hurt I'm not comforted by her giggling. But then she lasts 20 mins max down n wants to be up agsin but once I pick her up she starts screaming again. She's not taking her bottle - 100 mls max so means she's hungry faster. She's sleeping for 30 mins max if she even gets to sleep. I know I should go for a walk but I have no motivation whatsoever. It's thst time of the month too so moods are not at all happy ones atm. Uuugghhh I'm fed up of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

A has been screaming all day. She doesn't like to be held :( she's screaming screaming screaming fighting to get out of my arms, I put her down and she starts giggling. I'm so frustrated and hurt I'm not comforted by her giggling. But then she lasts 20 mins max down n wants to be up agsin but once I pick her up she starts screaming again. She's not taking her bottle - 100 mls max so means she's hungry faster. She's sleeping for 30 mins max if she even gets to sleep. I know I should go for a walk but I have no motivation whatsoever. It's thst time of the month too so moods are not at all happy ones atm. Uuugghhh I'm fed up of this.

I know its so hard to get motivated to go out for a walk especially in this weather but I find that even now, at 14months, my little boy is much more settled and sleeps better on days when we go walking :-)

Gee_G wrote: »
    I know its so hard to get motivated to go out for a walk especially in this weather but I find that even now, at 14months, my little boy is much more settled and sleeps better on days when we go walking :-)

Thanks. I know I'll feel better after, I'm going to go on one later, just having a bad day :( feel so helpless when she's screaming her head off n isn't comforted by being in my arms :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Thanks. I know I'll feel better after, I'm going to go on one later, just having a bad day :( feel so helpless when she's screaming her head off n isn't comforted by being in my arms :(

I know, it is tough. I'd say its just a phase she is going through and in no time at all she won't let u put her down ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

At what point do babies stop being either cranky/crying or asleep, and start smiling/reacting with pleasure to your presence? I swear this baby doesn't like me! Depends on me, needs me, yes, but I've yet to se evidence that he actually likes my company! :-/ A little smile would be nice (even if it's just a wind grimace!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

nikpmup wrote: »
    At what point do babies stop being either cranky/crying or asleep, and start smiling/reacting with pleasure to your presence? I swear this baby doesn't like me! Depends on me, needs me, yes, but I've yet to se evidence that he actually likes my company! :-/ A little smile would be nice (even if it's just a wind grimace!)

I would say 6 weeks at least. The first two months are really all work little to no reward. But that first smile is great :) dont worry soon baby will smile as soon as he sees you all day :)

nikpmup wrote: »

Their smiles that aren't wind usually start around 7/8 weeks! But I still counted every wind smile as a smile!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Rachineire wrote: »
    I would say 6 weeks at least. The first two months are really all work little to no reward. But that first smile is great :) dont worry soon baby will smile as soon as he sees you all day :)

I swear the little fecker looks at me sometimes as if to say "Jaysus.... This one again!" My OH is DETERMINED to squeeze a smile out of him :) I'd be happy with eye contact and a begrudging "howaya ma" !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

@loubian, I still don't ask my pare ta to mins my son. He's tough going in that he always wants you to do something with him and its exhausting. My parents are getting on and have 12 other grandchildren so I just don't ask. Us there anyone else you could ask... Not even night time but maybe a morning so you could poo back to bed?

Has the hour going back messed to anyone else's routine? Our little fella used to wake about 6:30 but the night the hour changed it was 4:45am and its been about 5:30am since that. Last night he woke up and was singing and chatting away to himself at 3:30am!!! I kid you not.... He didn't go back to sleep until 5am. Any tips to change this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I love my three year old down the the ground but if she doesn't stop crying soon I'm going to have to gag her... I really can't control the noise of the fireworks outside :\ I just hope they stop soon so she calms down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

January wrote: »
    I love my three year old down the the ground but if she doesn't stop crying soon I'm going to have to gag her... I really can't control the noise of the fireworks outside :\ I just hope they stop soon so she calms down.

Same problem here, my 3 yr old is sick which is bad enough but the dogs are going mental with the noise which is making him worse. I feel like doing a runner at the moment with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm in tenterhooks in case they wake the baby. The noise doesn't seem to bother our son thankfully. I was wishing for a wet windy night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

eviltwin wrote: »
    Same problem here, my 3 yr old is sick which is bad enough but the dogs are going mental with the noise which is making him worse. I feel like doing a runner at the moment with it all.

And you can hear the same as I'm hearing with you just being down the road!

Saoirse has Sensory Processing Disorder and noises are a big thing with her, she just won't calm down :( She went to bed but I've already been up with her three times calming her down, poor mite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ah the poor pet. Since having kids I just think it's a horrible noisy night.

• Advertisement

I always thought it was a horrible night. For no particular reason, I'm terrified of fire. I live on my nerves on a night like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

On the asking parents to babysit thing, I actually feel very regretful that I didn't ask my mother in law to babysit more. She looked after him once for an hour or so when he was 6 weeks old and we met some friends for an hour or so a couple of days before Christmas and he slept the entire time we were out. She was always offering to look after him but I have very little desire to be apart from S and I knew she helped with her other grandchildren a lot (twins 6 months older) so didn't want her to feel like she had to do a lot of work with S too. I figured we had all the time in the world for her to babysit when he was older and I felt more ready to leave him. But now it won't ever happen and I feel so sad about that. She still actually suggests we go out and leave him with her, as she just wants to soak up that 'Nana's looking after you' time that's not possible to get if the baby's parents are there. But it's not really possible for her to do that as she's too weak and he's just too boisterous. We make an effort to go out to the shops for 20 minutes or so and leave him with her, so at least she has that time but if I could do over the start of the year, I'd give her at least a couple of evenings where she got to look after him without me and OH around.

So asking grandparents to babysit every so often isn't necessarily an imposition on them. They may actually be chomping at the bit to babysit. It's always worth putting out there and just asking if they'd think about it, even if you think they are tired from other things, they might actually enjoy the novelty value of having their grandchild to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I always ask my mother to do the babysitting if I go out but I never ask OH's mother, I just feel he might be too much for her or she doesn't know him aswell as my mum does, that's our fault of course, im very bad at visiting despite the fact they live 5 mins away, she is always offering and asking why don't we leave him with her for a few hours, i feel so guilty now reading Iguanas post there, im going to be more open to that idea from now on.

I would ask more but I live with granny so she helps a lot anyway n that's why I don't like asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I would ask more but I live with granny so she helps a lot anyway n that's why I don't like asking!

I live right across the road from my parents and spend a huge amount of time with them everyday but I'm going out tonight (feel sick about it) and I can tell my parents are excited about it. I think they can't wait to have him to themselves for a little bit and get to spoil him without me putting a dampner on their fun. It might be worth mentioning to your parents. They might feel like it's too much but you never know, they may also enjoy getting to be in charge of the baby for a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Ok so I'm waiting for this magical time to begin!! My beautiful son is 2 weeks old and I'm finding it so hard. I have no idea what I'm doing!! He cried for ages today and I couldnt soothe him. I love him so much and just want to do everything right. I know it's too soon to be in a routine and I'm clinging onto the hope that it will get better once that's established. I have a good cry at least once a day. My OH is so good but is back at work now. Terrified of getting PND.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ok so I'm waiting for this magical time to begin!! My beautiful son is 2 weeks old and I'm finding it so hard. I have no idea what I'm doing!! He cried for ages today and I couldnt soothe him. I love him so much and just want to do everything right. I know it's too soon to be in a routine and I'm clinging onto the hope that it will get better once that's established. I have a good cry at least once a day. My OH is so good but is back at work now. Terrified of getting PND.

By 6 weeks it'll all seem easier. Things really start to settle down between 4-6 weeks.

Don't be afraid of getting PND, only if it's not dealt with is it a problem. I know I was terrified of the diagnosis, but once I had that I found it a relief tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I will just keep an eye out for the symptoms. I can be prone to quiet dark moods so I may be prone to it who knows?
    I know when it gets easier I will probably kick myself for wishing the first few weeks of his life away. He is so gorgeous seriously I can't believe he is mine! My OH is such a natural with him too but it's probably easer for him because he is at work during the day he gets a break :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Just been at the MIL's for a week. She spoilt the 4yo rotten meaning he is acting like a diva, and she told him to keep his sister awake because she is bold for taking attention off him. Seriously was glad to end up back in my shítty little apartment. Seriously have no idea why we put up with her some days!

• Advertisement

Honestly I cried every day for a fortnight too... Sometimes several times a day. My poor OH was so worried about me. In hindsight I think it was a combination of exhaustion, frustration at not being able to soothe my son, overwhelmed at the burden of responsibilty and also a body of raging hormones! It definitely got easier but I'd be lying if I said it was a dream. My son was refluxy and a difficult baby at times. The good times far outweigh the bad but I wish someone had prepared me better. I left work thinking I was going to have one long holiday.,. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Cry as you need to op, sleep as much as you can and talk to your OH. It will get better.

Advertisement