Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

So I am hiding in the dark from my almost 3 year old having a melt down because I put water in the wrong cup....queue screaming!

How is everyone else today???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My just-turned-one year old has gone from a happy, placid child to a clingy, demanding tantrummer! I don't know what's changed, but I suspect it's something to do with me going back to work :( He's been getting sick in the childminder's too, at first I thought he had a bug but I think he's just upset as it doesn't happen in granny's. This ain't easy, I'm so exhausted. Thank the baby Jesus for Christmas holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

bp wrote: »
    So I am hiding in the dark from my almost 3 year old having a melt down because I put water in the wrong cup....queue screaming!

Mine were surprisingly good today! The one inside me not so good! She is invading my right side and both my hip and ribs are killing me! I'm trying to prod her over to the left but she isn't having it! As stubborn as her mother lol

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Dolbert wrote: »
    My just-turned-one year old has gone from a happy, placid child to a clingy, demanding tantrummer! I don't know what's changed, but I suspect it's something to do with me going back to work :( He's been getting sick in the childminder's too, at first I thought he had a bug but I think he's just upset as it doesn't happen in granny's. This ain't easy, I'm so exhausted. Thank the baby Jesus for Christmas holidays.

You're not alone! My guy started mini tantrums just after 1 yr and has got waaay more clingy since then. I've read it happens around this age. I wasn't expecting the tantrums till 2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

The moment you catch the baby chewing on a watercolour pencil with a big blue face and mouth *heart attacks* :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

bp wrote: »

Little monkey!!

My 2.5 yr old has taking to correcting herself before she does something she knows she shouldn't and then giggling wildly!

Last night it was "Don't touch the tree Yaya" ....queue floods of giggles and lots of tree touching. She calls herself yaya btw!

Digs wrote: »
    Little monkey!!

My 2.5 yr old has taking to correcting herself before she does something she knows she shouldn't and then giggling wildly!

Last night it was "Don't touch the tree Yaya" ....queue floods of giggles and lots of tree touching. She calls herself yaya btw!

That is frigging adorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

All week our 2 yr old is waking up middle of the night totally hyper and tonight he woke at 11 pm and is still awake now at 2am. Poor hubby due up at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

You're not alone! My guy started mini tantrums just after 1 yr and has got waaay more clingy since then. I've read it happens around this age. I wasn't expecting the tantrums till 2...

Dolbert and madeinamerica, I was reading your post with interest.
    Our lo is 15 months and she was always a very happy go lucky child, she seems to be turning into an antichrist.....last night was the worst so far.
    Came home from childminder, would NOT take off her jacket and it went from there. Had to be forced to have her bath, screamed the whole way through her clothes being taken off, being bathed, being dried, being dressed, screamed when put into high chair for her dinner, stopped screaming to eat then resumed again after. We live in an apartment complex & I was honestly expecting a knock on the door from a neighbour saying ''are you torturing that child?'' after we eventually got her to calm down - I think purely coz she ran out of steam- her body was heaving with wracking sobs for ages afterwards.

It was honestly like she had been possessed by a demon?

Her top canines are coming through so I gave calpol. No temperature.

I couldn't sleep last night after it, it was very distressing. This morning she was crabby enough as well, threw her 1st spoon of breakfast (and it's something I know she likes - cornflakes) down on the ground in anger, kicking and writing as I was trying to dress her etc. I tried a stern word to get her to calm down, that seemed to help.
    How long can I expect this demon phase to last til I get my nice happy placid child back?!?! :eek::confused: Is this teeth?? Is this her age??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Teeth can make them really cranky! And uncomfortable. They aren't doing it on purpose! When my boy got like this I just made him do the bare minimum, so bath only when his hair got really dirty, lots of play and calming activities.

His tantrums started around 18 months also. Just testing boundaries and communication issues. More emotional and stubborn.

Our current triggers are changes in location ( going out of the house, coming home, leaving nursery etc) and wanting bread. You would swear the child was never fed. Absolutely ravenous for carbs. Fruit will be half eaten now. He just shoved it all in his mouth and asks for more. I keep thinking nursery will call and ask me for more money towards food. They laugh (sort of) telling me how he's the first at the food trolley and last to leave the table, and they find eli teeth shaped holes in the rolls! He stole another boys sausages from his plate yesterday! He's gonna eat me out of house and home....

• Advertisement

Lucuma wrote: »
    Our lo is 15 months and she was always a very happy go lucky child, she seems to be turning into an antichrist.....last night was the worst so far.
    Came home from childminder, would NOT take off her jacket and it went from there. Had to be forced to have her bath, screamed the whole way through her clothes being taken off, being bathed, being dried, being dressed, screamed when put into high chair for her dinner, stopped screaming to eat then resumed again after. We live in an apartment complex & I was honestly expecting a knock on the door from a neighbour saying ''are you torturing that child?'' after we eventually got her to calm down - I think purely coz she ran out of steam- her body was heaving with wracking sobs for ages afterwards.

I couldn't sleep last night after it, it was very distressing. This morning she was crabby enough as well, threw her 1st spoon of breakfast (and it's something I know she likes - cornflakes) down on the ground in anger, kicking and writing as I was trying to dress her etc. I tried a stern word to get her to calm down, that seemed to help.
    How long can I expect this demon phase to last til I get my nice happy placid child back?!?! :eek::confused: Is this teeth?? Is this her age??

had to lol at that. That's one sign that she is ok really, stops screaming to eat :)

Dori my fella is the same, a pure fiend for bread, he will sit crying into his perfectly good dinner, pointing at the press where we keep the bread :rolleyes:

Another thing is he wants ketchup on everything. Had a mini meltdown last week when I wouldn't put ketchup in his bowl of cheerios and he threw the full bowl at me :pac: Wasn't so funny at the time though :o

My boy loves ketchup too! I think the bread is also a sugar thing :(.

My boy just likes to dip his fingers in the ketchup and lick it off :( won't touch food with ketchup on it tho! He's such a weirdo lol!

I can't even get a drink from the kitchen but he follows me in begging for bread and crackers. Then he's opening the press and trying to climb the shelves! It's exhausting because if I gave in all the time he wouldn't eat anything else! So cue meltdown that lasts 20+ minutes. Only thing that will distract him from bread is tv , and we had to wean him off his addiction to that a few months ago!

My head is melted!

My brain is so unreliable that I don't know if I just lost something or it was stolen or what...

I bought a snickers and thought I left it with my lunch in the tiny kitchen area at work. While my bread was toasting I popped to the loo and when I came back there was no snickers. It is just basically a part of a corridor with a sink, fridge, toaster, so people walk past all the time and I've heard of food going missing from there before. I've looked high and low and cannot find it, but I don't want to complain about it being stolen in case I've just forgotten where I put it!

Soooo need a snickers after all that.

Check the loo! I'm forever bringing random things with me and leaving them down on the shelf besides the toilet :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Spoilt brats and their parents annoy me.

I was in Imaginosity today with my son, not quite two yet, who is obsessed with trains. Some of ye may know the train set there, a really big one, big enough for several children to play with at once. A boy around 5 or 6 was playing with almost all the trains, my son went to play with one single train carriage way over the other side. The other child rushed over, "No that's MINE!", and his mum marched over and said to my son (not even two, very few words) and said to him very sharply "Dylan was playing with that first, leave it alone!" I was shocked, but wasn't going to get into an argument with anyone in front of my boy, so brought my son over to the supermarket section (which he absolutely loves!)

Then we went to a play centre later. My son was tired and cranky and wasn't on for it at all, my own fault, one big activity is enough for one day! But anyways, some little shlt started throwing balls at my son's head and then started hitting him on the head. He was smaller than my son, my son didn't retaliate at all (which I'm proud of!) but because he was so tired, he started bawling (even though he wasn't really hurt) and I had to wade into the ball pool to rescue him. And then he refused to go back in there while the other kid was there, so we had to head home.

I know it's not always the parents' fault, some kids are just like that.

I'm just very very happy that my son isn't like that!

Check the loo! I'm forever bringing random things with me and leaving them down on the shelf besides the toilet :o

I did, but no sign :( I'm not leaving my chocolate unattended in future ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Lucuma wrote: »

Oooh....our 18 month old has joined the anti-christ brigade lately. My God the whining and the whinging and the screaming would drive you nuts. It's been slowly ramping up over the last 2-3 weeks. I haven't come up with a strategy to deal with them yet! She's roaring and screaming at everything. I have no patience with it to be honest, more than a few stern words have been said. I've a feeling it's the beginning of the next phase. :(

Right now she's been banging around the cot for the last hour. Her nap is overdue, she's up since 6, she's had a strenuous morning and I KNOW she's knackered. We are sitting this one out, she's going to sleep no matter what it takes (annoyed mammy). I am NOT listening to the inevitable meltdowns that will happen all evening if she doesn't get some sleep!

However I feel I'm considerably more annoyed than she is right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

BusyIzzy wrote: »
    Oooh....our 18 month old has joined the anti-christ brigade lately. My God the whining and the whinging and the screaming would drive you nuts. It's been slowly ramping up over the last 2-3 weeks. I haven't come up with a strategy to deal with them yet! She's roaring and screaming at everything. I have no patience with it to be honest, more than a few stern words have been said. I've a feeling it's the beginning of the next phase. :(

Right now she's been banging around the cot for the last hour. Her nap is overdue, she's up since 6, she's had a strenuous morning and I KNOW she's knackered. We are sitting this one out, she's going to sleep no matter what it takes (annoyed mammy). I am NOT listening to the inevitable meltdowns that will happen all evening if she doesn't get some sleep!

However I feel I'm considerably more annoyed than she is right now...

God, sounds like you have my little one :pac:

This past 5 or 6 days, she's turned into the mother of demons from the child that EVERYONE thought was perfect. We know the two main culprits. New baby in the house, and Christmas disrupting her routine. First two weeks of new baby being home she was a star, and there is never any malice directed towards her. She will stroke her head or hand, say "Ahhhhhhh der" and tickles her toes and will help with winding!

During the day she is actively seeking out all of the things she knows she isn't allowed to touch and purposely plays with them. Getting down to her level, explaining and removing her is like exercise now - I did this a total of 21 times in a row to try and teach her to leave the Xmas tree alone, despite her not having touched it the two weeks previous! We've tried replacement and making a big deal out of something in the hopes that she will want it instead. She's quite wise to that :o
    At night, she is going to her bed as normal, but is waking close to every hour SCREAMING to be lifted. She's literally just over a throat infection, and scarlet fever before it, so the first two nights we did pander to it thinking she probably needed pain relief and was still unwell/sore. Now she's doing it religiously, despite all the silent entries to the room to lie her down and leaving again. Even worse, if I do remain in the room and she hears her dad, she howls even harder (so it's clear what parent she's looking for).
    I got so frustrated last night that I ended up sobbing into my own hands outside her room at 6 this morning! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Bubs is nearly 2.5, I stared toilet training her in November and within a week it seemed like she had mastered it, by week 3 she was barely wetting herself and always telling me when she needed to go. But then in December she got a bug , the toilet training was still going ok until after te bug and she just stopped telling me when she needed to go and has been wetting herself since. I brought her to the doc because she had been complaining of sore tummy and had been screaming about a sore ear the night before that. I told the doc about her suddenly wetting herself and he checked her belly and said she was quite constipated and that resulted in lazy bowel and constipation induced cystitis. She is on a laxative for 2 months.

However, the wetting herself hasn't stopped. I can't help but get frustrated when she is constantly wetting herself.. I myself am forgetting to constantly ask her so i know it's not her fault. But what would the be the best thing to do? I don't want to put her back in nappies. She will tell me if she has to do a poo, or she'll tell me that she has wet herself. I've tried telling her she'll get a sticker if she does it, or will get a jelly as that worked the first time.. Would reintroducing the potty be a good idea? Thanks and sorry for the log post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Makapakka wrote: »
    Bubs is nearly 2.5, I stared toilet training her in November and within a week it seemed like she had mastered it, by week 3 she was barely wetting herself and always telling me when she needed to go. But then in December she got a bug , the toilet training was still going ok until after te bug and she just stopped telling me when she needed to go and has been wetting herself since. I brought her to the doc because she had been complaining of sore tummy and had been screaming about a sore ear the night before that. I told the doc about her suddenly wetting herself and he checked her belly and said she was quite constipated and that resulted in lazy bowel and constipation induced cystitis. She is on a laxative for 2 months.

However, the wetting herself hasn't stopped. I can't help but get frustrated when she is constantly wetting herself.. I myself am forgetting to constantly ask her so i know it's not her fault. But what would the be the best thing to do? I don't want to put her back in nappies. She will tell me if she has to do a poo, or she'll tell me that she has wet herself. I've tried telling her she'll get a sticker if she does it, or will get a jelly as that worked the first time.. Would reintroducing the potty be a good idea? Thanks and sorry for the log post!

I would suggest retraining from scratch, she's still very young so she has plenty of time to retrain. But with the laxatives would waiting and using pull ups work in the meantime?

Ugh my little fella is being a proper crankyarsè today. He has started a new thing now where he wants to be pushing the buggy or the trike all the time if he's out walking. Grand. Except he's not strong enough to push the buggy on his own and he freaks out if I so much as touch the buggy while he's trying :rolleyes:

He got really upset in the park this morning because he couldn't make the buggy move and he didn't want me to help. So I was there trying to calm him down and some woman in one of the houses facing the park started shouting and roaring at him out a window :eek: Wtf like :confused: :mad: He wasn't even being that loud, he was just crying and upset. And what did she think her roaring was going to solve anyway. I would have shouted back at her to eff off only it would have upset my little boy more and I would have gone and knocked on her door and asked her what the hell her problem was only I couldn't be certain which house exactly she was in. Argh :mad:

Ugh my little fella is being a proper crankyarsè today. He has started a new thing now where he wants to be pushing the buggy or the trike all the time if he's out walking. Grand. Except he's not strong enough to push the buggy on his own and he freaks out if I so much as touch the buggy while he's trying :rolleyes:

He got really upset in the park this morning because he couldn't make the buggy move and he didn't want me to help. So I was there trying to calm him down and some woman in one of the houses facing the park started shouting and roaring at him out a window :eek: Wtf like :confused: :mad: He wasn't even being that loud, he was just crying and upset. And what did she think her roaring was going to solve anyway. I would have shouted back at her to eff off only it would have upset my little boy more and I would have gone and knocked on her door and asked her what the hell her problem was only I couldn't be certain which house exactly she was in. Argh :mad:

Bravo for keeping a calm head! I'm not sure I could have lol ppl like that should go off and live on a hill somewhere in the middle of nowhere! Ridiculous carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    God, sounds like you have my little one :pac:

This past 5 or 6 days, she's turned into the mother of demons from the child that EVERYONE thought was perfect. We know the two main culprits. New baby in the house, and Christmas disrupting her routine. First two weeks of new baby being home she was a star, and there is never any malice directed towards her. She will stroke her head or hand, say "Ahhhhhhh der" and tickles her toes and will help with winding!

During the day she is actively seeking out all of the things she knows she isn't allowed to touch and purposely plays with them. Getting down to her level, explaining and removing her is like exercise now - I did this a total of 21 times in a row to try and teach her to leave the Xmas tree alone, despite her not having touched it the two weeks previous! We've tried replacement and making a big deal out of something in the hopes that she will want it instead. She's quite wise to that :o
    At night, she is going to her bed as normal, but is waking close to every hour SCREAMING to be lifted. She's literally just over a throat infection, and scarlet fever before it, so the first two nights we did pander to it thinking she probably needed pain relief and was still unwell/sore. Now she's doing it religiously, despite all the silent entries to the room to lie her down and leaving again. Even worse, if I do remain in the room and she hears her dad, she howls even harder (so it's clear what parent she's looking for).
    I got so frustrated last night that I ended up sobbing into my own hands outside her room at 6 this morning! :(

Christmas totally threw her. We got her back into the routine in the last few days though. Thankfully the whinging has eased somewhat, I've realised that she's a whinger when she gets tired. It's my cue to whisk her upstairs :) Unfortunately we're back at work today and she's with the childminder, so I reckon a few more days of disruption lie ahead.

New baby due in 2 months. I've no idea how on earth we're going to handle that one!!

I know, normally I would have gone ape but I knew it would only make my boy worse. I'm still wondering if I dreamt the whole thing. It's the kind of area where someone roaring at you would be the last thing you'd expect to happen, and the woman sounded very well spoken. She did sound a bit unhinged though so maybe there was something else going on? We are in the park most days and never had any problem, and it's always busy with kids so if it was noise she was worried about then she bought her house in the wrong place. She was still shouting over when we got to the gate at the other side of the park and my little fella had long stopped crying by then. Shocked me more than anything else tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I'd be thinking maybe she'd a small baby herself or something who's a poor sleeper and your son inadvertently woke the baby up just after she'd finally gotten him to sleep? Not that it justifies her behaviour AT ALL, and it sounds like you handled the situation perfectly, but I guess you don't know what mental health issues she has going on. Hope your little boy wasn't too upset by it, poor thing. :(

Well my almost 2 yr old is never getting a Jaffa cake again! I really craved one at 5 o clock and of course with a toddler there's no hiding anything. Bouncing off the bloody walls and furniture all evening, could barely make dinner! Took nearly an hour to fall asleep, then woke at 12.30 and couldn't go back asleep for hours. Eventually he fell asleep in the spare bed with his dad, but not before jumping on him a million times!

We both feel like zombies today. Thankfully it's a holiday here in Germany today. Counting down the hours til nursery opens again tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

sounds a bit like our two year old only it happens nearly every night with him.
    We have ruled out sugar so I don't know what else it can be, but he wakes every night, anywhere between 11:00 and 04:00. My hubby will go in to sleep in his room (for some reason he doesn't like coming into our bed anymore), then he will toss and turn in his cot and talk out loud and make squealy noises etc. for anything from 10 mins to an hour and a half! My hubby gets a terrible sleep in that case. Then 07:00 the toddler is up and fresh as a daisy, as if he had never missed the sleep.

anyone know what is causing such nighttime wakings? Is it maybe because his speech is starting to come on better, or some other developmental thing? It's been going on for a few months now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That moment when you are in the shower in the morning, shampooing away, turn around to do a bit of a rinse, and turn back to see your toddler is cleaning the loo with your toothbrush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

pwurple wrote: »
    That moment when you are in the shower in the morning, shampooing away, turn around to do a bit of a rinse, and turn back to see your toddler is cleaning the loo with your toothbrush.

Oh yep, I had that a few weeks ago..... made me wonder if he'd been doing on previous occasions that I hadn't known about :eek:

Advertisement