Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

C has Scarlet fever... I could not have had her around more kids over the weekend if I tried. We were at a communion (out for dinner in a hotel with kids everywhere) back to house with bouncy castle etc... Then playground, had friends call over. She was a bit whiny but I just thought it was a slight runny nose until she came up in a rash all over... She's utterly miserable and just waiting for S to get it now :( although we are hoping the prophylactic antibiotic holds it off. I'm covered in puke from her and she just wants to lie on top of me! Just wrecked! And utterly sick of doctors and sicknes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

cyning wrote: »
    C has Scarlet fever... I could not have had her around more kids over the weekend if I tried. We were at a communion (out for dinner in a hotel with kids everywhere) back to house with bouncy castle etc... Then playground, had friends call over. She was a bit whiny but I just thought it was a slight runny nose until she came up in a rash all over... She's utterly miserable and just waiting for S to get it now :( although we are hoping the prophylactic antibiotic holds it off. I'm covered in puke from her and she just wants to lie on top of me! Just wrecked! And utterly sick of doctors and sicknes!

Omg I hear it's absolutely rampant at the moment. Poor thing :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I think the little man has whooping cough, his breathing is so ragged and every intake of breath is like a bark :( Needless to say none of us got any sleep last night, his dad has him at the doctors now. On top of everything else, our car was written off so I need to sort all that stuff out too. So much stress!

I hope it isn't Dolbert... Hope he feels better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Dolbert wrote: »
    I think the little man has whooping cough, his breathing is so ragged and every intake of breath is like a bark :( Needless to say none of us got any sleep last night, his dad has him at the doctors now. On top of everything else, our car was written off so I need to sort all that stuff out too. So much stress!
    We have viral croup here. Mistook it for asthma the other night when he woke up trying to breathe so took him to crumlin and they said there's s strain of viral croup at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

He's got tonsillitis apparently, poor divil. Still, glad it's not whooping cough. Hopefully the antibiotics will set him right soon

yellow hen wrote: »
    We have viral croup here. Mistook it for asthma the other night when he woke up trying to breathe so took him to crumlin and they said there's s strain of viral croup at the moment

Oh god that's the last thing you need with the little one. Hope he is feeling better now. We have little heads full of snot here and we had a vomiting bug at the weekend! This time of year is the pits :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

3 of us have a d+v bug and my little girl has a sore throat and temp which will probably pass to us once the d+v has cleared. Ugh!

I was in with paediatrician with S last week and he said the wards are still as full as they would normally be in January that there is so much sickness still going on.

I'm hanging today I feel like I've been hit by a bus. Hubby is working all weekend, mum is busy and no one else will come near us as we are all germ-y! Going to be a looong boring weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

I call it baby cement! Need a chisel to get it off their faces and everywhere else it goes!

For that very reason I have banned it from the house!!! However, Lidls version of Weetabix (Bixies??) is great, much easier to clean up and is smoother and he eats it all up quicker than Weetabix.

• Advertisement

How do you teach a toddler to blow his nose? My 3yr old more often than not had a snotty nose and when I say blow, he inhales. I have no idea how to show or describe how to do it. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

How do you teach a toddler to blow his nose? My 3yr old more often than not had a snotty nose and when I say blow, he inhales. I have no idea how to show or describe how to do it. Anyone else?

I heard a tip about this before. Get him to try to blow a straw across the table using his nose. Make a little game of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

I got my son to pretend he was blowing out candles on a birthday cake , but only using his nose. It's the only way that seemed to click for him.

I used to cover their mouth loosely with the heel of my hand while I was holding the tissue to their nose and tell them to blow really hard. Because their mouth was covered they instinctively blew harder from the nose. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well but the presence of the hand at their mouth seemed to make them blow harder from the nose. Prob the same as inhaling. If something's blocking your mouth or nose when inhaling you will do more work on the free one lol like when your having a good snog lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My 2 year old has started waking at night/early morning, I want to cry with tiredness. Bloody bright mornings and a cough, please, please sleep or I'm considering putting you up on adverts for sale

My 2 year old has started waking at night/early morning, I want to cry with tiredness. Bloody bright mornings and a cough, please, please sleep or I'm considering putting you up on adverts for sale

Mine have been getting up earlier and earlier every day this week. Half 4 this morning. I'm exhausted. Same craic every summer. Wouldn't mind but the 2 month old is sleeping through till about 6 most mornings.

Mine have been getting up earlier and earlier every day this week. Half 4 this morning. I'm exhausted. Same craic every summer. Wouldn't mind but the 2 month old is sleeping through till about 6 most mornings.

I've gone in armed tonight, heavy black blanket over the blinds behind the curtains. I need a full nights sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Half four is definitely still night time!! All week our little girl woke up early, today when it was daddy's turn to get up with her she slept until nearly 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Our almost 14 month old is slowly killing me with his incredibly broken sleep. He finally went to sleep at 9.30, woke twice by 10.50, at which point I have to go to bed with him or he'll just keep crying. Will wake 3+ more times before 8am :(

Spotty my little girl went through a really bad phase about that age... It passed. She's fast asleep since 7 in her own bed: her almost 4 year old sister is currently kicking me in the back or hitting me in the face depending on what way she turns. I'm about to go to her bed!

• Advertisement

Can I complain about my husbands snoring? Is one night of sleep too much to ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Cyning he has never slept well, three hours is the most I've slept in one go since March last year. He's awake now wailing, he was kicking and flailing at me while crying since 12.15 until I cracked and told my husband it was his turn to do something. He's pacing the sitting room now, this was tolerable a year ago but I never thought the only improvement in a year would be going from 1-2 hour wakenings to 2-3.

The blanket worked, slept until the normal time of 7:30, came in happy to tell me the groclock was yellow!

The blanket worked, slept until the normal time of 7:30, came in happy to tell me the groclock was yellow!

Mine slept but the baby decided she wanted to be fed all night. Husband headed off to Kerry this morning at 4am for a few days. It's going to be a looooong week. Do I need planning permission to paint all the windows in my house black 😂

Mine slept but the baby decided she wanted to be fed all night. Husband headed off to Kerry this morning at 4am for a few days. It's going to be a looooong week. Do I need planning permission to paint all the windows in my house black 😂

I'd like to see the council come to talk to you if you did, there's definitely a tired mum head! Hoping for a repeat for tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My little girl slept well until just before her first birthday. Then she decided that she was too busy to nurse during the day so now I'm up half the night feeding her. The amount of times that I have considered dismembering my own boob and chucking it into her cot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I think my 3 yr old is broken.

She's always been an early waker but goes to bed at 7-7.30pm so no complaints. Come summer time she loses the run of herself though and we are now at 6am wake ups (if one more person tells me to send her to be later I'll scream, bed at 9pm still means waking at 6am). We went in with the big guns this summer and she's in a new room at the back of the house, less noise, black out blinds, black out curtains. Nope no good. I wonder is the the fe*ckin birds singing waking her??

It's like musical beds sometimes here as she may come into us during the night in which case one of us goes into hers. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and manoeuvring myself into a bottom bunk is fun... But necessary, she's on a daddy buzz lately so if he gets up to leave the bed she freaks. If she sleeps in our bed she sleeps a bit later which is odd as we've no black out curtains in our room.

She stays with her grandparents often and annoyingly lies in in their house, her grandad is most smug about this!!! I think she's punishing me for being pregnant.... Or is just having a grand laugh at our expense :)

Rant over, feel better after getting that out! She's like a little dictator the way she runs the house, it's true what the say toddlers could rule the world if they put their minds to it!

Digs, 3yr old here does the exact same. Wandered in at 5:20 this morn! He comes in during the night sometimes too and sees me feeding the new baby, sighs in disgust and wanders off to find daddy (who has been kicked into the spare room so I can have the baby sleep with me). Daddy is the hero these days and I'm just the evil one who permanently had the screaming spawn of the devil attached to a boob!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

5:20am! Yikes! We've had a few before 6am wake ups, it's not natural I keep telling her :D looking forward to lots of Saturday morning hoovering with radio blaring when she's a teenager :)

Hope all is going well for you otherwise YH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Can't remember when I had a full nights sleep last
    my now 16 month old was very good sleeper but then was a nightmare when teething which brough us up to my now 3 month old coming along and I don't believe I will ever have a proper sleep again.he is a nightmare.cannot get him into a routine at all.
    Is it possible that he could be teething so young?
    Then you have the oh snoring
    Or the ten year old wandering into our room cause he can't find the loo
    Or the 16 month old getting her legs stuck in the cot bars..
    someone give me peace...It just a few hours rest

Advertisement