Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Can't remember when I had a full nights sleep last
    my now 16 month old was very good sleeper but then was a nightmare when teething which brough us up to my now 3 month old coming along and I don't believe I will ever have a proper sleep again.he is a nightmare.cannot get him into a routine at all.
    Is it possible that he could be teething so young?
    Then you have the oh snoring
    Or the ten year old wandering into our room cause he can't find the loo
    Or the 16 month old getting her legs stuck in the cot bars..
    someone give me peace...It just a few hours rest

My daughter was forever getting her legs caught in cot bars. Took the cot down, put the travel cot in her room and never looked back. My Mam kept giving me grief about her sleeping in a travel cot but why not if she was more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I would just love to know WHY my 14 month wakes every hour. At least then I might make some peace with it!

I would just love to know WHY my 14 month wakes every hour. At least then I might make some peace with it!

my son was the very same. He never slept. I swear I cried as much as he did the first 2 years of his life. He was just a clinger and wanted to be snuggled all night.

Oh god I hear foot steps.. New baby is still awake and I feel there may be a party in my room soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Having to drag both kids to Southdoc at half ten at night because my husband is working late: no fun. Only one needed the doc: and now she can't go to cr che tomorrow which she will be gutted over, I'm going to be late to work AGAIN because I need to go to the chemist at 9am, drop the antibiotic to the childminder and then drive to work. Both have ear infections (and the one with grommets has blood and pus coming out of her ear). And neither are sleeping, both are coughing and complaining of sore throats and I'm hanging with tiredness.

On the plus side the almost 4 year old told me her friends will have to say she's as lathair tomorrow she's picking up loads of Irish I love it

cyning wrote: »
    Having to drag both kids to Southdoc at half ten at night because my husband is working late: no fun. Only one needed the doc: and now she can't go to cr che tomorrow which she will be gutted over, I'm going to be late to work AGAIN because I need to go to the chemist at 9am, drop the antibiotic to the childminder and then drive to work. Both have ear infections (and the one with grommets has blood and pus coming out of her ear). And neither are sleeping, both are coughing and complaining of sore throats and I'm hanging with tiredness.

On the plus side the almost 4 year old told me her friends will have to say she's as lathair tomorrow she's picking up loads of Irish I love it

That sounds like a bloody nightmare. I couldn't even cope with semi sick children right now.

My husband has been working for 10 days straight now and is currently in Kerry. I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel but he text today to tell me he has to head to England for 2 weeks. The next time he talks me into having a baby he can have my maternity leave.

False alarm on the footsteps although I won't hold my breath just yet because the party didn't start till 2am last night pmsl

• Advertisement

My husband is also away for work! I've a very busy work week but luckily had a relative here helping with baby until today.

He woke up like it was morning at 11.30, only really going back to sleep now on my chest with me shushing and rocking. He's so congested, has wind pains and the teeth themselves are hurting too. He keeps rubbing his eyes but its more scrubbing at this stage :( Poor mite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Baby4 wrote: »

Could it be reflux?

My husband is also away for work! I've a very busy work week but luckily had a relative here helping with baby until today.

He woke up like it was morning at 11.30, only really going back to sleep now on my chest with me shushing and rocking. He's so congested, has wind pains and the teeth themselves are hurting too. He keeps rubbing his eyes but its more scrubbing at this stage :( Poor mite.

Have you tried him with nasal spray for congestion. i find the calpol one brilliant. Spray is better than the drops. Think the pressure with the spray helps move it.

keep telling myself it doesn't last forever but it doesn't work . I'm not sure yet but I think I'm looking forward to going back to work lol

No I haven't tried that, didn't occur to me at all to try a spray, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

At 13 months??

I'm 31 with reflux lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

For the babies getting their legs caught in the bars have you tried a breathable cot bumper?
    I know advice is not to use the old style bumpers but the ones I got (from www.littledreamers.ie) were made of mesh so they stopped the hands/legs escaping but meant they were safe if the child lay up against them. They also are quite fine so a child can't stand on them to try escape from the cot.

Found them a great buy, and they also stopped teddies/soothers etc falling from the cot at all hours!

sillysocks wrote: »
    For the babies getting their legs caught in the bars have you tried a breathable cot bumper?
    I know advice is not to use the old style bumpers but the ones I got (from www.littledreamers.ie) were made of mesh so they stopped the hands/legs escaping but meant they were safe if the child lay up against them. They also are quite fine so a child can't stand on them to try escape from the cot.

Found them a great buy, and they also stopped teddies/soothers etc falling from the cot at all hours!

Isn't the strangulation hazard still there though?

Isn't the strangulation hazard still there though?

Would that be from them taking off the bumper? There's no strings or ties on it if that's part of the issue, they Velcro together (and it's fairly strong long lengths of Velcro) so couldn't imagine a child being able to remove it. Even if they did I wouldn't see it as any different to them removing their sheet etc.

Would that be from them taking off the bumper? There's no strings or ties on it if that's part of the issue, they Velcro together (and it's fairly strong long lengths of Velcro) so couldn't imagine a child being able to remove it. Even if they did I wouldn't see it as any different to them removing their sheet etc.

No that they'd hang themselves on the bumper itself. I'd an aunt seen it happen first hand to her grandchild ... thankfully the toddler survived, probably only because my aunt is a nurse in Temple St. She always told me to have nothing in the cot but the baby and the cellular blankets. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

I had looked at them when I started having the problem and that's what made me think of travel cot because it's all mesh. I was going to get them but decided to save the money as I knew the little monkey would be in a bed soon. They do look brilliant though.

No that they'd hang themselves on the bumper itself. I'd an aunt seen it happen first hand to her grandchild ... thankfully the toddler survived, probably only because my aunt is a nurse in Temple St. She always told me to have nothing in the cot but the baby and the cellular blankets. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Sounds frightening. But surely if you've a blanket in the cot that could do the same thing?
    I loved that mesh 'bumper' anyway but wouldn't have one of the old style ones that just tie on and are fairly easy to take off. I don't think either of my kids would have been able to get the mesh one off, it was velcro'ed the length of the cot and was a pain for me to get off myself sometimes so it wasn't something I worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

At 13 months??

My 12 month old still has reflux. She's on zoton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Beautiful hot sunny weather and my 2 year old has been hit with a hybrid of d+v and throat infection :(:( He's not too bad in the mornings so at least we can get out in the garden for a few hours but for the last few days, he has woken from his nap with a temperature of 40 :eek: We've had to stand him in front of a fan on full blast to cool him.

Crazy that a child who didn't so much as catch a cold in his first year is on his 5th antibiotic this year alone :eek:

• Advertisement

Beautiful hot sunny weather and my 2 year old has been hit with a hybrid of d+v and throat infection :(:( He's not too bad in the mornings so at least we can get out in the garden for a few hours but for the last few days, he has woken from his nap with a temperature of 40 :eek: We've had to stand him in front of a fan on full blast to cool him.

Crazy that a child who didn't so much as catch a cold in his first year is on his 5th antibiotic this year alone :eek:

This year is awful. It's the worst I've ever seen. Mine have been sick so much this year and from what I'm hearing were not alone. Mine are like yours. Rarely sick But my son even missed his booster shots in school because he woke up throwing up the morning he was due to have it. I've also never seen as much snot in my life as I have this year lol

When I was in with paed a few weeks ago discussing taking S of her prophylactic antibiotic he said it was still like winter in the wards: no let up in sickness at all.

So after ear and throat infections and croup last week S fell today and knocked herself out for a few seconds. She's ok but I'm not! She has a sleep study tomorrow night. She never gets a break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Ah god cyning she never gets a break at all the poor thing :( Did ye have to go to a+e?

Ah god cyning she never gets a break at all the poor thing :( Did ye have to go to a+e?

No... GP was happy enough with her at home just to watch her for vomiting, drowsiness and that she was easily rousable during the night: we have to do that every time she faints anyway so well used to it.

cyning wrote: »
    No... GP was happy enough with her at home just to watch her for vomiting, drowsiness and that she was easily rousable during the night: we have to do that every time she faints anyway so well used to it.

The poor little thing. She is having an awful time but I imagine she is handling it like a champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Go asleep, for the love of god please go asleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Go asleep, for the love of god please go asleep!

:( did you get any sleep?

bp wrote: »
    :( did you get any sleep?
    Got a 4 hour stretch so could be worse! Daddy is home tonight so any night time shenanigans will be his domain

Got a 4 hour stretch so could be worse! Daddy is home tonight so any night time shenanigans will be his domain

Are you in same boat as me? Husband works in uk so Saturday night is the only night I get him. It's woeful!

• Advertisement

Are you in same boat as me? Husband works in uk so Saturday night is the only night I get him. It's woeful!

Oh you poor thing that sounds horrible! Thankfully it's rare that my husband isn't here, I'd crack up

Advertisement