Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We have been here about 10 days
    The medical staff are very considerate but not the nurses.

The most of the nurses have an attitude that their too good to do anything. The are very skilled in emotionally blackmailing parens to make them to do all the care. When they offer help it only to ensure they get their breaks on time.

Their are totally hand off. They are professional at ensuring the parents provide 24 care. They make it clear one parent must be on the ward at all times. The actually encourage you to sleep in the babaies room.
    I dont think one nurse feed or changed my child; they certainly didnt wind him. The answer to wind was to give paracetamol or bruphen or a sedation. My self and my part are professionals allied to medicine and have knowledge of health care. When our child blood pressure was high they said the monitor was faulty but they never checked manually with a syphgmanometer & stethoscope.
    One nure remocednthe nasgastric tube without permission then blamed it on the bady

With two kids I've had 16 admissions over the last 4 years. It's not a nurses job to change nappies or wind baby etc. Even in fully private hospitals they don't do that. It is to provide medical care though: what I've done in the past is requested for example temperature be rechecked, or pulse or oxygen monitors be replaced if I felt the probe was inaccurate. Not all nurses are great or even good in some cases. You can request to speak to the Manager if you have any problems. And if you don't feel you can do it in hospital you can feed back written complaints afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

The most of the nurses have an attitude that their too good to do anything. The are very skilled in emotionally blackmailing parens to make them to do all the care. When they offer help it only to ensure they get their breaks on time.

Their are totally hand off. They are professional at ensuring the parents provide 24 care. They make it clear one parent must be on the ward at all times. The actually encourage you to sleep in the babaies room.
    I dont think one nurse feed or changed my child; they certainly didnt wind him. The answer to wind was to give paracetamol or bruphen or a sedation. My self and my part are professionals allied to medicine and have knowledge of health care. When our child blood pressure was high they said the monitor was faulty but they never checked manually with a syphgmanometer & stethoscope.
    One nure remocednthe nasgastric tube without permission then blamed it on the bady

Perhaps you could help the overworked, understaffed and poorly paid nurses to feed and wind your sick child yourself?? If your child is sick the nurses are probably working their hardest to insure they take care of your baby's medical and surgical needs. And of course the nutritional needs and hygiene needs are also a priority... But if you are there why on earth cant you do this or at least assist??? do you just want to sit and watch?

Don't forget... Each nurse is probably taking care of between 5-10 other children (depending on age) as well as yours. How do you expect them to feed 3-5 babies at once? Of course if you are able bodied and present they would expect to to feed your child while they tend to those children who's parents are absent. I'm really sorry your child is ill... It's horrible. But I really hate this attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I think it would be the norm for a parent to want to stay worth their child? I fully appreciated my chair bed! As crap as it was it meant I could be with him full time! I feed and changed my baby every single time for 2 weeks. That's not the nurses job!
    There were a few long termers in the ward and in the evening when it was quiet the mums would take a few hours off, go home get fresh clothes etc. But one at a time and the nurses would keep an eye on the babies. There's no way one nurse could do all their jobs and mind 6 babies at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

My youngest just celebrated her 1st bday, and she has a grand total of two teeth, still not even fully up yet!
    I am kind of glad to be honest because she's still getting boob and I don't fancy getting bitten!
    Her older brother on the other hand had a good few teeth by age one.
    I think there may be more teeth on the way now though, because she woke a lot last nigt, burying her head in the mattress and kind of 'scratching' her mouth that way..

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I suspect that you are right that the nurses deliberately put the onus on parents to administer the routine infant care. I'm not sure if you are Irish, but in the Irish hospitals the nurses don't take the baby away to a nursery any more, I think it was done away with maybe 20 years ago or more.

We've had NICU babies in our family and parents are actively encouraged to gain competence in not only routine care of their babies but also get to grips with working around or even handling the medical equipment and tubes they might come home with.

It can be scary to look after your baby with all the wires and tubes and I'd say the nurses are a bit forceful in making parents get used to it because it really is for your own good and better for the baby to be fed, winded and cuddled by their parent(s)rather than by different nurses on shift.

I have seen a newborn pull out their nasal tube though. Like you, the parents thought it was inserted incorrectly until it kept happening. It turns out the baby was a very clever little one and had mastered it somehow.

If you have concerns regarding the clinical care, then what about requesting to have a chat with the ward manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

cyning wrote: »
    With two kids I've had 16 admissions over the last 4 years.

16 admissions to hospital? Sounds like you're wasting their time.

I've three children aged five and under. None of them have seen the inside of a hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I've three children aged five and under. None of them have seen the inside of a hospital.

That does not make you a good parent, you just have healthy children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hospitals don't admit a child for no reason... They send them home after they've assessed them in A&E if they deem them well. Seems pretty obvious to me they must be sick.

Ur very fortunate your children are heathy and well.... Unfortunately not every other parent is as fortunate as you in that respect...

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Every child is different and unfortunately lots of children spend time in hospital which is not their fault nor their parents fault.

With two kids I've had 16 admissions over the last 4 years.

Clearly my daughters doctors know more about them then you. I'm delighted your kids are never sick. But mine are. I'm really lucky there's nothing time won't cure with mine. But you NEVER know what's going on with someone else. I don't know if you can imagine how horrible it is to be in hospital with your 4.5 week old baby where they need to shave her head to site an iv. Or have your 8 month old collapse and stop breathing. Or to have to be readmitted within a week of that because she was so sick she couldn't hold her head up. Or to spend new year lying on a hospital floor trying to console a 10 month old with such a severe ear infection she could barely feed. Or to have an incredibly active 3 year old on oxygen with a severe chest infection 3 days before you are supposed to go on your first family holiday after 2 years of non stop hospital visits and trips to limerick and crumlin from Kerry.

But ya. I'm wasting their time. I'll try remember that next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Clearly my daughters doctors know more about them then you. I'm delighted your kids are never sick. But mine are. I'm really lucky there's nothing time won't cure with mine. But you NEVER know what's going on with someone else. I don't know if you can imagine how horrible it is to be in hospital with your 4.5 week old baby where they need to shave her head to site an iv. Or have your 8 month old collapse and stop breathing. Or to have to be readmitted within a week of that because she was so sick she couldn't hold her head up. Or to spend new year lying on a hospital floor trying to console a 10 month old with such a severe ear infection she could barely feed. Or to have an incredibly active 3 year old on oxygen with a severe chest infection 3 days before you are supposed to go on your first family holiday after 2 years of non stop hospital visits and trips to limerick and crumlin from Kerry.

But ya. I'm wasting their time. I'll try remember that next time.

You shouldn't have justified replying to such a disgusting comment. No one in their right mind could think you are wasting hospitals time. Hope your girls are doing ok now.

They are fine just unlucky! We are so lucky in that regard being in and out of hospital you see plenty of kids who aren't and it's unspeakably hard for them and their families.

Hopefully the anonymous poster might think of that the next time before they type such an awful comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm incredulous that anyone could be so ignorant to make such a comment. Keep reading what you just wrote and think about it and if you honestly can't see that it's wrong I feel a bit sad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Cyning your poor baby, I hope things are improving for your little one, you are an amazing parent

Ugh I hate this weather! Me toddler and the 4 mths old have this awful nasal drip cold that makes you gag. Was up at 1 for an hour with baby, then 4 for an hour with toddler. Then it was baby again, then toddler. Then when I was finally dozing off at 6 hubby decides to wake me to tell me he's getting up for a meeting!! Wtaf????? Then both kids were awake together.
    I'm so sick and tired.....

Ugh I hate this weather! Me toddler and the 4 mths old have this awful nasal drip cold that makes you gag. Was up at 1 for an hour with baby, then 4 for an hour with toddler. Then it was baby again, then toddler. Then when I was finally dozing off at 6 hubby decides to wake me to tell me he's getting up for a meeting!! Wtaf????? Then both kids were awake together.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I think I've pinpointed why my 7 month old daughter wasn't sleeping well - nothing very mysterious - it's her brother's fault!!
    It's midterm break here, and he is with his daddy and grandparents up the country, while I have work to do so I'm staying here by myself with her. Normally she wakes up at 6am at the latest, and while she does regularly sleep full nights, she often wakes a couple of times in the middle of the night. Well, it's a week since L is gone to his grandparents - H hasn't woken up once in the middle of the night, AND she has been sleeping til 7.30 every morning! It's like a mega lie-in for me.
    Not sure what the solution is as they share a room and we don't have a spare room...I'll enjoy the next few days of sleep before he comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Our 9 month old, is very nasaly at the moment too and its waking her up in the middle of the night, and she is very whiny but I dont think she is fully awake when whining/crying, because as soon as she is on my shoulder, she's asleep. But this morning at 04:30, had to bring her into bed and she wouldnt stop whining for like an hour. other half took her and she finally drifted off after some comforting.

Mc Love wrote: »

Our 9 month old, is very nasaly at the moment too and its waking her up in the middle of the night, and she is very whiny but I dont think she is fully awake when whining/crying, because as soon as she is on my shoulder, she's asleep. But this morning at 04:30, had to bring her into bed and she wouldnt stop whining for like an hour. other half took her and she finally drifted off after some comforting.
    Yeah that's it the half asleep whining moaning. Except we couldn't get him to fall asleep! He couldn't breath through his nose cos it was blocked and his throat was all phlegm I think like mine. So basically misery all round!

I'm off to eat the Halloween sweets.....

• Advertisement

We have croup and a chest infection here.... I highly recommend the Malteser pavlova from Iceland. Divine: And you totally need a sugar rush with no sleep and I say that after eating a walnut whip for breakfast ;)

Hope things improved since earlier Dori.

Not really lol! My cold has gotten worse, toddler didn't nap ( can't wait for 5pm!) But baby has been napping for nearly 2 hrs now so at least 1/3 of us will be feeling decent!

Ah crap :( Netflix and a snack pot for the toddler maybe? It's awful when you are sick yourself.

I'm off to eat the Halloween sweets.....

Had to replace my sweets today. I ate them all by myself over the past week!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah that's it the half asleep whining moaning. Except we couldn't get him to fall asleep! He couldn't breath through his nose cos it was blocked and his throat was all phlegm I think like mine. So basically misery all round!

Thats exactly it - although I think she could be teething too, because she is drooling an awful lot.

Started to climb the stairs too, need eyes on the back of me head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I'm seriously sleep-deprived at the moment. I wrote earlier that my one year old is teething - well she hasn't slept properly for 3 or 4 nites now - shes constantly waking for boob. She also has a bit of a cold which is making it hard for her to sleep right.
    She lets me get as far as the edge of a nice sleep and then she wakes me up again. it's awful :(
    I am up at 6am for work and I'm wrecked in the morning times!
    Luckily I had the option to work at home today and caught a few hours in between or I would go completely off the rails!

Please God let this not go on much longer! Is there such a thing as a 12 month sleep regression??

Teething really messes worth them. I think it's 14mths for the sleep regression but I can't v remember exactly. All I remember from it is sorting on his bedroom floor crying most of the night while he bounced around his cot. It's a pretty bad one!

By an chance plesse does anyone know if Next are having €15 off codes before Christmas please?

They have them but I could only get one today and only after they scanned it and logged it against an email. No idea if it's a new thing or if it was just someone being very by the book about the rules!

• Advertisement

They have them but I could only get one today and only after they scanned it and logged it against an email. No idea if it's a new thing or if it was just someone being very by the book about the rules!

Thanks for that. It doesn't sound hopeful!

Advertisement