Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sleep and No Coffee Makes Parents Something Something

Options
1909192939496»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I have the crankiest baby ever. She's teething and has the snuffles. All she wants is in my arms, even if she falls asleep as soon as I put her down 'wahhhh wahhhh WAAAHHHH!'. She has a scream that would put a banshee to shame. All this despite the holy grail of calpol and teetha granules. It's gonna be a long night....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Rogueish wrote: »
    I have the crankiest baby ever. She's teething and has the snuffles. All she wants is in my arms, even if she falls asleep as soon as I put her down 'wahhhh wahhhh WAAAHHHH!'. She has a scream that would put a banshee to shame. All this despite the holy grail of calpol and teetha granules. It's gonna be a long night....

That's my little one most nights. Day angel and night terror :(

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

We got through the night it wasn't as bad as I anticipated but the cranky baby is back with a bang this morning. I need a shower and I think that the use of the 'magic car' might be availed of in order to get her to nap so I can get a shower in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

If it makes you feel any better I was talking to someone yesterday whose baby cried for 7 hours a day... for 8 months straight. No joke I would have thrown myself out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Beanybabog wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better I was talking to someone yesterday whose baby cried for 7 hours a day... for 8 months straight. No joke I would have thrown myself out the window

That's really tough alright. I have one baby who gets tummy pains after feeding and that's hard enough to deal with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

God don't think I'd cope with hours of crying on end. Poor baby and parents!
    My little one us a month old now, she's a good sleeper in her cot at night, but during the day no way will she nap in it. Even if we put her down asleep within 10 minutes she's awake. I've two other kids so usually spend half the day in and out of the car and she sleeps for hours anytime she goes in the car seat.
    So yesterday I resorted to putting her in the car seat in the sitting room even though we were going nowhere! I know it's nit recommended to be in the car seat too much but sometimes you just need a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

sillysocks wrote: »
    My little one us a month old now, she's a good sleeper in her cot at night, but during the day no way will she nap in it. Even if we put her down asleep within 10 minutes she's awake. I've two other kids so usually spend half the day in and out of the car and she sleeps for hours anytime she goes in the car seat.
    So yesterday I resorted to putting her in the car seat in the sitting room even though we were going nowhere! I know it's nit recommended to be in the car seat too much but sometimes you just need a break!

Probably something you tried already but it was a tip shown to us when our little one (now 8 weeks) wouldn't sleep during the day... we were always putting her on her back to sleep and she'd last 10 minutes. Popped her on her side and boom... 2 hours sleep. Just make sure she's properly supported at her back, her head can still move around, there is something supporting her at the front so she doesn't roll on to tummy and since it's during the day you can keep an eye on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Bacchus wrote: »

Probably something you tried already but it was a tip shown to us when our little one (now 8 weeks) wouldn't sleep during the day... we were always putting her on her back to sleep and she'd last 10 minutes. Popped her on her side and boom... 2 hours sleep. Just make sure she's properly supported at her back, her head can still move around, there is something supporting her at the front so she doesn't roll on to tummy and since it's during the day you can keep an eye on her.
    My second was like this! Loved sleeping on her side

Bacchus wrote: »

Funny you should say that! Yesterday almost by accident I put her down a little bit on her side. It was just the way I was holding her putting her in. Anyway she slept for maybe an hour and a bit like that! Then rolled back onto her back because I'd nothing there to stop her and two minutes later she woke. So def gonna keep trying that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I think my almost 2 year old is starting to drop her nap :( Half the time when I put her up now she either takes aaaaages to go off or else she stays awake chatting to herself and waving at people out the window until she gets bored and then demands that I come up and give her a book or toy to play with :rolleyes:

I know it's not the end of the world since she will still go up and have 'quiet time' (for now anyway!) but it's a bit of a shock since her 3 year old brother still naps for up to 2 hours. Plus I'm due a baby in march so I was counting on my afternoon break for sanity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My second was like this! Loved sleeping on her side

My little lad is the same, sucks his thumb and swings his legs over to the side.

Funny you should say that! Yesterday almost by accident I put her down a little bit on her side. It was just the way I was holding her putting her in. Anyway she slept for maybe an hour and a bit like that! Then rolled back onto her back because I'd nothing there to stop her and two minutes later she woke. So def gonna keep trying that!

Good luck with it. As much as our baby girl arriving changed our lives, finding out she could sleep for 2-3 hours uninterrupted when we put her on her side changed it all over again. She's 2 months now and it's still her favourite way to sleep but we're noticing she's liking to be a bit more on her back at times. At the moment her most unsettled time seems to be between 5pm and 9pm (right when I get home from work). She's quite alert for a while but quickly goes from happy to "oh God I should have been asleep 10 minutes ago now I'm incredibly over tired and upset". If we don't catch her at the critical moment, it takes an aaaaaaaage to get her to calm and sleep.

How do you put a baby on their side without them just rolling onto their back? My LO is a nightmare mapper when I'm on my own- she'll snooze in anyone's arms for hours but when I put her in crib or pram she's awake in minutes. She's a good sleeper at night but she gets
    Cranky with no naps so I have to sit and hold her for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Me too beany. Same issue with my two

I just put my little one in her side near the side of the cot/pram and that kind of props her up. I also put a blanket rolled up in front of her along her tummy/legs so she can't roll forward.
    Although sleeping on her side solved the daytime sleep problem the two times I've tried it, it also caused another issue! Both times when I took her up the side she was lying on was soaked-must be something to do with gravity or the way the nappy was pressed cause it leaked both times. Never straightforward!!

My gripe of the day- finally getting a chance to express breastmilk (I'm trying to build a freezer store for a weekend away and it's incredibly hard to find the time or the milk) and standing up to get a freezer bag and knocking the whole 4 ounces on the floor :-( major overreaction but it was so upsetting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My gripe of the day- finally getting a chance to express breastmilk (I'm trying to build a freezer store for a weekend away and it's incredibly hard to find the time or the milk) and standing up to get a freezer bag and knocking the whole 4 ounces on the floor :-( major overreaction but it was so upsetting!!

I think it's the one time crying over spilt milk is entirely justified!

I think it's the one time crying over spilt milk is entirely justified!

Lol!! Maybe that's where the saying comes from :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Beanybabog wrote:

I was trying to do the same when my little one was about 6 weeks old. On the Monday morning I left the freezer door slightly open all day ( it's a bit dodgy and I didn't check it as normal), all 20oz had defrosted. The wedding was Saturday. I cried. And cursed myself something shocking. My OH couldn't understand my reaction at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

In a sleep deprived haze I pumped 5 oz one day: went to the kitchen and for some reason threw it down the sink. I bawled... and rang my husband who couldn't understand why I was so upset: so then I was upset and furious with him ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Oh no! Like Rentdayblues said totally ok to cry over spilt Breast milk!! :( I could only dream of being able to express 4oz!! Every night I expressed a measly ounce to build my supply and it drove me bonkers. Hopefully you're stash will will come together soon for you.

How do you put a baby on their side without them just rolling onto their back? My LO is a nightmare mapper when I'm on my own- she'll snooze in anyone's arms for hours but when I put her in crib or pram she's awake in minutes. She's a good sleeper at night but she gets
    Cranky with no naps so I have to sit and hold her for hours

Just roll up a little blanket or use a small pillow and put it behind her back to support her. Make sure not to put it behind her head so that she can still stretch it out and move around a little. We usually put a rolled up small blanket at her tummy/legs to keep her from rolling onto front too.
    I just put my little one in her side near the side of the cot/pram and that kind of props her up. I also put a blanket rolled up in front of her along her tummy/legs so she can't roll forward.
    Although sleeping on her side solved the daytime sleep problem the two times I've tried it, it also caused another issue! Both times when I took her up the side she was lying on was soaked-must be something to do with gravity or the way the nappy was pressed cause it leaked both times. Never straightforward!!

As yes, this is the weakness of the system... much more prone to nappy leaks thanks to gravity. Just try make sure you have the nappy on right - stick your finger in the side to feel for gaps and make sure the outer flap bit is turned out properly. It'll reduce the risk of leaks but we still get the odd one.

Advertisement