Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to barm brack

Options
  • 14-10-2013 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Really want to make a barm brack (is that even the right spelling?) for Halloween. But what I actually want is the whole searching to see what you got in your slice. I hate fruit cake as do my kids. Was wondering if something like banana bread could be used instead?

Also here is what I remember being in our brack. Is this complete?
    Ring
    Pea
    Bean
    Stick
    Rag

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Pugins wrote: »
    Really want to make a barm brack (is that even the right spelling?) for Halloween. But what I actually want is the whole searching to see what you got in your slice. I hate fruit cake as do my kids. Was wondering if something like banana bread could be used instead?

Also here is what I remember being in our brack. Is this complete?
    Ring
    Pea
    Bean
    Stick
    Rag

Thanks

Was never a fan myself. Why not just make a cake or pie that the family likes. Drop a ring into it, one of you finds it, wa-hey! Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'd say any cake mixture which is fairly stiff (i.e. not a liquid mixture like a sponge or carrot cake) would work for this, so banana bread should work well: Just fold the 'surprises' in to the mix right at the end, or pop them in once you have half the mixture in the tin, then top with the remaining mixture so that you know they are evenly distributed (i.e. making sure you won't get 3 'surprises' in one slice!). I'm sure you know to wrap the pieces tightly in greaseproof paper to prevent them getting baked into the mixture :) I think the only thing you've left out of your list is a coin, traditionally a sixpence.

Advertisement