Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organisational Psychologists

Options
  • 14-10-2013 5:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Well... I am interested in knowing all about Psychometric Tests & Personality Assessment Tools avaiable in the market these days! Can anyone please help me out. I would like to get as much information as possible because I am planning to get training for using psychometric tests as I plan to make it my profession.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Well... I am interested in knowing all about Psychometric Tests & Personality Assessment Tools avaiable in the market these days! Can anyone please help me out. I would like to get as much information as possible because I am planning to get training for using psychometric tests as I plan to make it my profession.

What assessments are you interested in??

What training are you looking into completing? Although from your post it seems you have not covered anything as of yet?

There is some basic training available, Psychometric A and B which would be a good introduction, it would cover occupational assessment, career interest questionnaires and I imagine personality assessment, bright side of course, which maybe would offer some basic training in a Five Factor Model and the Myers-Briggs.

Of course if your background is psychology, than I'm sure post grad will cover what you need. Maybe the psychologists here can give you more feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 16 justinedwards

Thank you for your reply dar100.

I did some research on the internet and came across a company called PsyAsia International. They recommended that I do the Psychometric Assessment at Level 1+2: Ability + Personality course. Is it any different from the course that you have suggested?

Thank you for your reply dar100.

I did some research on the internet and came across a company called PsyAsia International. They recommended that I do the Psychometric Assessment at Level 1+2: Ability + Personality course. Is it any different from the course that you have suggested?

No they are the same

Alright. Also, I am little bit confused because there were a number of companies appearing in Singapore that provide Psychometric Test Training. I am not sure which is the right one to proceed with. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I think you may be a little confused, justinedwards. In order to be an Occupational Psychologist, you need a degree in Psychology, followed by a post-graduate qualification in Occupational Psychology.

An internet training course from Singapore in using psychometric tests is likely to be bogus.
    Most psychologists buying psychometric tests have to prove their qualifications in order to get access to them. This is because people using them without the knowledge of how to use and interpret them are as useful as fortune tellers.

That's why you were asked about your qualifications/background.

• Advertisement

Alright. Also, I am little bit confused because there were a number of companies appearing in Singapore that provide Psychometric Test Training. I am not sure which is the right one to proceed with. Any ideas?

Basically, what JC has already stated.

Also, there are Irish training providers who deliver level 1 and 2, try the training section of Activelink.

Again, these are basic qualifications which you would complete in 3 or 4 days. But if this is what you are interested in, maybe it will be a good start, which you can build on.

Thanks Julius and Dar... After doing quite a lot of research on the internet and talking to a couple of friends in Singapore, I finally decided to register for the Psychometric Assessment at Work Level 1 + 2 : Ability Test User + Personality Test User Course being offered by PsyAsia International. The reason I chose course, the training will be face to face... Not online... This means that I can ask whatever questions I may have and make sure that I get good return for my money...

Thanks Julius and Dar... After doing quite a lot of research on the internet and talking to a couple of friends in Singapore, I finally decided to register for the Psychometric Assessment at Work Level 1 + 2 : Ability Test User + Personality Test User Course being offered by PsyAsia International. The reason I chose course, the training will be face to face... Not online... This means that I can ask whatever questions I may have and make sure that I get good return for my money...

Training by Design has an add on activelink, if I remember correctly their level 1 and 2 are accredited by the British Psychological Society.

I wouldn't bother with that other crowd

I finally decided to register for the Psychometric Assessment at Work Level 1 + 2 : ...This means that I can ask whatever questions I may have and make sure that I get good return for my money...

I'm still not sure whether you have a background in psychology or whether you've just decided to become an unofficial occupational advisor?

I'm still not sure whether you have a background in psychology or whether you've just decided to become an unofficial occupational advisor?

Hi... As it happens, I recently completed my masters in psychology... That is why I am planning on getting trained in psychometric testing...

• Advertisement

Progress made! Registered for PsyAsia's Psychometric Assessment at Work Level 1+2: Ability Test User + Personality Test User today... The good news is... They are registered with the British Psychological Society as well... As a matter of fact... I am told by my friend that they were the ones to bring this course to Singapore and Hong Kong in the first place... Really excited about the prospect of getting trained which would open up a whole new world of opportunities for me...

Hi everyone,

I need your assistance again. Does anyone have information on some good personality assessment tools being used globally these days? Any useful assistance would be really appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I need your assistance again. Does anyone have information on some good personality assessment tools being used globally these days? Any useful assistance would be really appreciated.

Any of the Five Factor models should be ok, Costa and Mc Crea have conducted valid and reliable research in this area.

Their research is centered on the Big Five factors of personality, for a general measure of personality, this would be one of the most widely used. There is a number of inventories used to assess personality based on this method:

NEO PI-R
    The Five Factor Rating Model Form
    The Big Five Inventory

Another, although sometimes criticized method is the Myers-Briggs, which is based on work by Carl Jung. This method is based on type theory, and fits the individual into one (or possible more) of 16 personality types.

Seriously, if you don't already know about these, I'd be seriously concerned that you are exceeding your scope of practice, that you do not recognise your limitations. This is a very serious matter professionally.

To reiterate what JC has said, this should be pretty basic for someone with a Masters in Psychology??

Thank you dar100 for the useful advice. I think I was not very clear in the last post. I mean I have knowledge about personality assessments. However, I just wanted to check which were the good ones. I have heard about and done some research on Apollo Personality Profile, Identity Personality Questionnaire and the Saville Consulting Wave. They were all quite good in terms of validity and reliability (at least what the research says). So for now, I think I would stick to working on these until I have completed that PsyAsia Course in January.

Regarding a discussion that I was having with someone having a 6 years experience as an assessor with SHL (a personality test just like Apollo Personality Profile, Identity Personality Questionnaire and the Saville Consulting Wave)! The person slightly disagreed on the fact that giving feedback to a client is a very important part of an organisational psychologist's job. This sounded really weird as in my opinion, and according to the moral values linked to the profession of psychology, clients should get what they pay for!

Hi... Has anyone heard about the new BPS Regulations? Is it true that in order to retain your qualification, you now have to do at least 40 hours of psychometric testing activities every year???? And then you must be able to prove that as well???

Hi... Has anyone heard about the new BPS Regulations? Is it true that in order to retain your qualification, you now have to do at least 40 hours of psychometric testing activities every year???? And then you must be able to prove that as well???

I'd be interested in knowing this to, where did you come across this information, do you have a link.

dar100 wrote: »
    I'd be interested in knowing this to, where did you come across this information, do you have a link.

I came across this information on the PsyAsia website during my search on psychometric tests and psychometric training. Here is the link:
    http://www.psyasia.com/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/557/30/maintenance-of-competence-requirements-by-the-british-psychological-society

• Advertisement

In almost every profession, Continuous Professional Development is mandatory in order to maintain your accreditation in good standing, and the same goes for the Psychological Society of Ireland as well as BPS.

justinedwards, I remain very sceptical about your professional qualifications to take on the role that you are outlining, and would like to hear from you about this by PM. I am locking this thread in the meantime.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement