Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard VDSL2 model on Vodafone

• 14-10-2013 8:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Just changed my DSL connection from Magnet to Vodafone (well, it will take a few weeks, but i put in the request). When magnet setup my connection, they gave me a modem/router/voip box, but its quite useless... I am guessing Vodafone are doing the same from the posts on the forums... I have seen a thread on how to bridge the Vodafone modem, but out of curiosity, if i wanted to use my own modem, can it be done? Looking at Amazon, there are a few VDSL modems, some with routers, others just modems... Anyone know if these would work? Anyone tried it?

Thans.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

lotas wrote: »
    Morning all.

Just changed my DSL connection from Magnet to Vodafone (well, it will take a few weeks, but i put in the request). When magnet setup my connection, they gave me a modem/router/voip box, but its quite useless... I am guessing Vodafone are doing the same from the posts on the forums... I have seen a thread on how to bridge the Vodafone modem, but out of curiosity, if i wanted to use my own modem, can it be done? Looking at Amazon, there are a few VDSL modems, some with routers, others just modems... Anyone know if these would work? Anyone tried it?

Thans.

The answer is it may work however its up to you to then ensure it is Vectoring compliant (if you directly connect as opposed to bridge) otherwise the port may be disabled when Vectoring launches later in the year.

The Vodafone Huawei HG658c is actually quite a good device so I'd try it first before deciding anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Morning all.

Thans.

Most modem/routers are locked down pieces of crap. I have a Linksys modem myself, in half - bridge mode (it dials pppoe and gives this public ip to the next device) that's connected to a Mikrotik RB951, this is on Eircom ADSL though, not sure if you'd get it working on VDSL, but I'm sure all you need is the settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

thanks for the replies... I will try the Vodafone router and try bridge it, since i have a Mikrotik Router at home too (the RB1100). I already have 2 cable modems hooked up for load balancing, both in bridge mode, so adding the VDSL in bridge mode would be a lot easier...

@smee_again, when you say your in half bridge mode, how do you mean? can you not get the mikrtotik to do PPPoE?

@smee_again, when you say your in half bridge mode, how do you mean? can you not get the mikrtotik to do PPPoE?

Yes i can, but there is no need, i can just leave the wan of the Mikrotik set to dhcp client and it gets the public ip leased to it by the Linksys. The Linksys appears to be a bridge, the public ip is on the wan interface of the Mikrotik as if it was dialling pppoe. Half bridge mode is something i never encountered before until i got this Linksys.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/half-bridge-mode-and-pppoe.21260/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

thanks @smee_again. will need to look into this a bit more...

• Advertisement

thanks @smee_again. will need to look into this a bit more...

This is the Linksys modem btw
    http://support.linksys.com/en-eu/support/gateways/AM200

My Eircom connection syncs much higher with it than a standard netopia which synced at about 7.8mbit. I'm on an 8mbit package and I'm only 200m from the exchange on a perfect line
    DSL Status: UP DSL Modulation Mode: Auto DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED Downstream Rate: 8187 Kbps Upstream Rate: 1115 Kbps Downstream Margin: 28 db Upstream Margin: 30 db Downstream Line Attenuation: 7 Upstream Line Attenuation: 10 Downstream Transmit Power: 14 Upstream Transmit Power: 14 LOS Errors: 0

Advertisement