Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 weeks of GVT to bring me to LV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Thanks!! I'll do another set of photos after phase 1 and again after phase 2. Wish I could just fast forward time to see the end results though :p

Best workout today for a long time. Not sure what it was but I was much better today than any other. First time I've had a proper meal before going into the gym, maybe that was it.. who knows.

As fitzgeme pointed out I should only log the individual DB weights so here it is

Decline semi-supinated BP: 10x10 @12.5kg (almost lost this on the very last rep, the 100th, was never letting that fail though)
    Chin ups: 1x10
    Lat pulldown: 10x10 @42kg

All available weights that I could use for chest flyes were in use so off to the pec fly machine I went

Pec flyes: 3x12 @28kg
    Dumbbell rows: 3x12 @20kg

Weights freed up a bit so tried for

Incline chest flyes: 1x10 @12.5kg, 1x6 @12.5kg and finished with 1x5 @12.5kg

Just before leaving I did

Low lying cable pull ins: 3x10

Took today off training as I've a really important league bowling match tonight (3 games left and we're in 2nd place gunning for 1st) and don't want to have tired/sore legs going into it.

Will slot it in tomorrow instead.

Starting off today sucked. Haven't a clue what happened but man did I suck this morning. Straight away in the first set I knew I wasn't feeling it. Couldn't figure if it was form, lack of energy or what but anyways here's todays workout.

Squats: 6x10 @50kg - last set was so rubbish. form was failing here and I don't know why. Dropped to 40kg and finished out 4x10.
    Lying leg curls: 10x10 @20kg

Low cable pull ins: 3x15
    Seated calf raises: 3x15 @106kg
    Leg press: 3x10 @50kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Good work ILPPPL

Beast!

• Advertisement

Thanks dude :) last week of phase 1 now!

Also, MY FRICKING LEGS!!!

Crossfit tonight replaces a day of rest. There's an assistant coach over from Norway that's supposed to be putting on some good sessions and giving pointers etc so will have to check it out before he leaves. Will post up the workout later as it's not till 7pm.

Well Crossfit was great but awful at the same time. The DOMS today got worse and worse as the day went on. Walked to Crossfit after work to loosen them up a bit. Got there about 30 minutes early - chatted away for a bit then did some stretching to ease the pain.

Met the owner of the 3 gyms tonight Andreas

946073_592734854126417_126058437_n.jpg

He ran us through the class.

Started off with some warmup med ball cleans to get things going. Then after a few minutes at that it was into the workout

400m sprint downhill
    50 BW squats at the bottom
    400m back up the hill
    10 burpees
    30 med ball cleans

400m sprint downhill
    50 BW squats at the bottom
    400m back up the hill
    10 burpees
    30 med ball cleans

This was me done. Managed that in 20 minutes. Some lad who was a crossfit competitor from Germany managed 3 full laps of it all and was on his way out for number 4.

My legs were utterly fudged. Came home and rollered the shit out of them with a rolling pin. Thanks for the tip whoever posted that!

Before leaving I chatted with Andreas for a bit getting some tips on my squats (front and back). I have terrible mobility on the front so he ran me through some stuff that I can try at home. Got me to show him my high squat starting position, then opened up my lats a bit, tried again and it was a HUGE difference. Will definitely keep this in mind when I'm finished this.

Delighted I got down to meet him before he left.

Nothing of note today really... upped the weights on 2 things and felt alright about it. Getting excited to finish phase 1 on Wednesday and mix things up a bit with phase 2.

Tricep pushdowns 10x10 @unknown weight but a new improved weight :)
    Incline hammer curls: 10x10 @10kg

Bent over lat raises: 3x10 @7.5kg
    Seated lat raises: 1x7 @7.5kg 2x10 @5kg :o - Not sure what happened here

Took a 3 minute rest and finished out with

OHP: 10x10 @empty bar - I won't lie, the last maybe 4 to 6 reps were more like a push press. I was fucked.

Crossfit today to cure the hangover.

Stretching for about 5-10 mins then a warm up run up and down the hill. 800m total.

Worked on OHP, pushpress and jerk press. Then it was onto the actual workout.

400m downhill
    400m uphill backwards
    20 pushpress
    20 burpees
    20 pushpress
    20 squats
    20 pushpress
    20 situps
    20 pushpress
    400m downhill
    400m uphill backwards

Absolutely knackered after it but hangover is no more :) result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Masochistic! I love it! :)

Went to a mates gym today so the weights are ever so slightly different.

Decline semi supinated BP: 10x10 @12kg
    Lat pull downs: 10x10 @41kg

Incline bench flyes 2x15 @10kg, 1x11 @10kg
    DB rows: 3x12 @18kg

Lying cable pull ins: 3x15 @10kg

Unscheduled rest day today. 2 games left in the bowling league and this is potentially our most important one so, again, I didn't want to work legs today and be off form later.

Can't wait to get this last leg session from phase 1 out of the way and not squat for like 6 weeks.

On the plus side, I've got quite nice DOMS from chest/back yesterday - it's been a while since I've felt like this.

I'm done with squats! Hallelujah!!! Christ, I was so glad to finish that session. I never want to squat again... for the next 3-4 weeks.

Wasn't feeling to sprightly this morning - legs were still tired from previous workouts over the weekend. Anyways

High back squats: 7x10 @50kg - ran out of juice towards the end and had to reduce to 3x10 @40kg
    Lying leg curls: 10x10 @20kg

Low cable pull ins: 3x15
    Seated calf raise: 3x15 @115kg
    Leg press: 3x10 @50kg - This punishment for sucking at squats in the beginning.

~720 squats in the past 6 weeks.

Ugh, this log made it to page 2 :( My own fault for not going yesterday. I've no excuse other than I couldn't get out of bed in the morning. When I finally did I felt incredibly guilty. So to finish up phase 1 today there was punishment involved at the end for yesterdays antics.

Tricep pushdowns: 10x10 @a higher weight, one pin down
    Incline hammer curls: 10x10 @10kg

Bent over lat raises: 3x12 @5kg
    Upright lat raises: 3x12 @5kg

Was pretty fúcked here for some reason. The curls seemed to really take it out of my arms - nevertheless - punishment was a punishment and here it was. Note there was no break in between this.

10 OHP empty bar
    10 sit ups
    10 OHP empty bar
    10 sit ups
    10 OHP empty bar
    10 sit ups
    10 OHP empty bar
    10 sit ups
    10 OHP empty bar
    10 sit ups
    10 OHP empty bar
    10 sit ups

And that's a wrap for phase 1. 4 days over schedule which I don't think is the worst over a 6 week period. Some of the workouts that got pushed got replaced with Crossfit so it wasn't too bad.

I'll try get some pics up over the weekend of the progress made. My legs are definitely bigger - probably saw the most improvement along with my shoulders but I never took pics of my legs :(

Going to do a de-load week, maybe 2, before starting phase 2. I've asked here and scouted the internet and there's nothing really informative about it except that it's 3 weeks and the set/reps drop - unsure on weight so will reduce to 50%.

If anyone thinks this is too low feel free to chime in.

Deload day 1 of 5

Decline semip supinated BP: 6x8 @10kg
    Lat pull down: 6x8 @42kg

Incline chest fly: 6x8 @7.5kg
    DB Rows: 6x8 @17.5kg

Tricep pulldowns: 6x8

Progress photos will have to be later during the week. The photos are on another laptop.

Deload day 2 of 5

High back squats: 6x8 @40kg
    Lying leg curls: 6x8 @20kg

Standing calf raises: 6x8 @60kg
    Decline sit-ups: 6x8 (There was no space to do low lying cable pull-ins, gym was fairly hectic this morning).

The workouts are nice and quick but at the same time I don't feel like I'm doing much..

Deload day 3 of 5

Real struggle to get out of bed this morning. Couldn't get to the gym so had to settle for a make shift workout in the garage. The exercises I did hit the same muscle groups as is outlined in the GVT program but they were all different.

Started off with a light bench warm-up after some stretching then moved onto the rest of it.

Bench press: 5x10 @30kg
    Skull crushers: 5x10 @16kg
    EZ bar curls: 7x10 @16kg
    OHP: 7x10 @21kg

Managed to get some photos but haven't got around to putting them on the laptop. Will try and do a comparison photo tonight.

There better be some fúckin change :p

I've looked at these so much that I can't even tell if there's much difference anymore. Seeing myself in the mirror though looks different to me. Started this weighing 68.1kg and finished the first 6 weeks weighing 71.5kg

Here's the 6 week progress photo

mvLVaJr.jpg

And here's one from when I realised I was a bit chubby (skinny fat) and said I'd change

73Dw2u9.jpg

Today was meant to be a deload day but 2 guys were doing dropsets for ages and hogging all the weights so had to improvise. Hammered my triceps anyways

Semi supinated BP: 6x8 @12.5kg
    Lat pulldown: 6x8 @49kg

Flat chest flyes: 4x6 @15kg
    DB Row: 6x8 @22.5kg

DB skullcrusher: 3x8 @15kg (2 handed)
    DB skullcrusher: 3x8 @7.5kg (15kg total - 1 per hand)

Then loads of tricep pulldowns, pushdowns, extensions, overhead extensions

Just lots of tricep work!

• Advertisement

Crossfit

No gym this weekend but went to Crossfit instead. Also bowled for about 6 hours in total - it's pretty taxing on the legs.

Tonights class was dead - so dead it was just me and the instructor. Not gonna complain with a 1 on 1 session with a hot 20 something year old Swedish girl.

Did some stretching for a bit and mobility stuff then did some wall hand stands. On to the actual workout (killer workout btw)

10 Thrusters @30kg
    15 burpees
    20 Thrusters @30kg
    25 burpees
    30 Thrusters @30kg
    35 burpess

This took me 21 minutes which was pretty shít. My cardio is a joke but in fairness, I've done nothing about it in about 6 months. Should have had it done in 17.

Finished off with 100 sit ups and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You gained 3kg and look leaner, pretty sweet for 6 weeks.

Thanks man :) 71.7 yesterday. Creeping my way to 74. Maybe after a Christmas feast I'll get there :p

This is going to have to take a back seat for a few days. I've done something to my left shoulder. I broke my collar bone and dislocated my shoulder in the past and for some reason it's giving me trouble.

Think I slept on it in a funny angle. Remember waking up with it being sore and in an unusual position.

Nothing to do with the crossfit class - I'm nearly certain. There was noting new to me there and nothing too strenuous (weights wise).

I've a tenpin bowling tournament on Friday so will probably rest up until then. This will be the longest I've gone without training in about 4 months.

And we're back. Exactly a week off. Needed it. Shoulder was in bits and had to concentrate on bowling (which went sh*t in the end).

Anyways, I began phase 2 today. Felt really good going in and had lots of energy and strength (for my standards :p)

Incline BP: 10x6 @12.5kg
    Lat pulldown: 10x6 @49kg

Flat chest flies: 3x6 @15kg (12.5s and 10s were taken)
    Bent over row: 3x6 @50kg

Did some sit ups to finish and then some stretching.

Sit ups: 5x20

First leg session of phase 2 today but the gym was absolutely rammed. I've never seem it that busy. The only thing I couldn't do was deadlifts which I was pretty bummed about as I haven't done them in ages and really miss them.

Lying leg press: 10x6 @70kg - this was the DL replacement
    Lying leg curls: 10x6 @25kg

Decline twisting crunches: 3x15
    Standing calf raise: 3x12 @80kg

Sat down on the seated leg press waiting on a mate at the end so decided to try some heavy presses to pass 5 minutes.

When I first went to the gym I couldn't get the machine to budge off the 88kg mark :o. Today I managed reps at 133kg. Fúcking delighted tbh.

Off again with an injury. Great :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

**** what happened?

JJayoo wrote: »
    **** what happened?

I've a minor burst in my left lung so have to get some medication and rest up a few days. Should hopefully be back to the gym next week sometime.

The issue is that the pain it causes me is in my left shoulder. It's a short sharp pain when it comes on and lasts about 30 minutes or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The saying is 'bust a gut' dude. Rookie error! :)

Advertisement