Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 weeks of GVT to bring me to LV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Good session. Another DL PB. Going to stop 1RMs for a few weeks now.

Squats
    BW x 10
    Empty bar x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    57.5kg 5x5

OHP
    Empty bar x 5
    27.5 5x5

Deadlift
    65kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    105kg x 1
    110kg x 1
    115kg x 1 (PB)
    120kg x 1 (PB)

Had 130kg in me but decided against it. Brought my chalk bag and it helped a lot.

Wide grip lat pulldown
    49kg 4x5
    42kg x 5

Seated shoulder press
    25kg 5x5
    20kg x 5

EZ bar curls
    27kg x 10
    27kg x 5
    22kg x 5
    17kg x 5

Plank
    1 minute x 2

Squats
    BW x 10
    Empty bar x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg 5x5

DB bench
    17.5kg 5x5 - rack was in use.

Barbell row
    40kg 5x5

Deadlift
    60kg x 5

Shoulder press
    20kg 3x10

Seated leg press
    115kg x 5
    124kg x 5
    133kg x 5
    124kg x 5

Lat pulldown
    49kg 3x10
    42kg 2x10

Seated row
    49kg 3x10

Plank
    30 sec +10kg
    30 sec +20kg
    30 sec +20kg
    30 sec +20kg

Here's a video of some light deadlifts to get some pointers on form -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Neutralise your neck and get your shoulders behind the bar. Often the second rep will be better than the first because you lower the bar in a better position to start rep 2.

I think anyone can deadlift well with a lighter weight but it's all about the top sets. Then again, I deadlifted way way worse then you at the same point you're at so, well done:)

• Advertisement

Well, this is the end of my log for a little while. There was another workout in here that I forgot to log. Been a bit busy with work.

I head to Vegas in the morning and my gym membership expires 2 days afterwards while away. There's a plan of using the hotel gym to keep me somewhat on top of things but we'll see how that plays out :D

This log will find its way slipping back into page 3 territory before I can rejoin the gym. As soon as we get home we move house 2 weeks later and that's going to hit the wallet hard. Probably won't be able to get back until the start of March but will pick up where I left off in my 5x5.

My next lifts will be:
    Squats: 62.5kg
    Bench Press: 35kg
    OHP: 30kg
    Barbell Row: 42.5kg
    Deadlift: 70kg

All the numbers are still light so it shouldn't be an issue to take up where I left off upon return in 3-4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Great form on the squats man.....looks like you could handle more,
    Enjoy Las Vegas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

You don't know what your form is like until you start to really have to work, post another vid with 20-40 more kg on the bar (which by the looks of it you can easily handle). Everyone got good form with light weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Chances are tho,that if your form is **** the weight is too heavy.

I've managed 100kg but not for a long time. I'll throw up a video of that when I get back.

• Advertisement

Back from holidays. Back to normality and back to clean eating again.

Only problem. I tore a muscle in my shoulder bowling :o:( :mad: and it's giving me nerve damage in my forearm. Have to start physio next Thursday after my round of meds.

Absolutely gutted to be honest. Not sure how long I'll be out for but at least a month I guess. No gym, no bowling, no fun :(

My 2 favourite things to do are gone for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

You could focus on legs if you could get into that position? There's always ways:)

Best of luck with recovery!

Bummer dude :(

You can train around any injury. Keep up the monster eating, leg press, leg extension, calfs, core, squats. Training legs a lot will keep the anabolic hormon levels up and hopefully prevent to much loss of the upper body gainz you have worked for hard for.

I can't do anything with my right arm really, not even holding the bar for squats. Have about 40% strength in it, maybe less. Could do stuff like leg press, lying leg curls, leg extensions alright.

It's probably not the worst thing for me to take a small break (even if it is way longer than I want). I've been pretty flat out with gym and bowling for a long time now with no real time off.

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You've been building up with a nice steady progression over a decent length of time...so you shouldn't lose too much strength. Mate of mine squatted for the first time in almost 3 months recently and hadn't lost a huge amount. You'll come back refreshed and ready to train like an animal

Ok I am going to say it dont beat me....Smith machine....you can squat no bother.

Ok I am going to say it dont beat me....Smith machine....you can squat no bother.

I disregard that machine so much the thought never even crossed my mind :p Will give it a whirl so!

So here I am after nearly 2 months out of action. Just wanted to post an update to keep my interest.

Just over 2 weeks ago I had surgery to remove a tennis ball sized growth from my chest. It's been one thing after another preventing me from getting back but after an appointment with the surgeon he said I can go back to doing lower body exercise and stationary cycling.

On my lunch break I'm going to nip back to my gym and renew my membership :)

So here I am after nearly 2 months out of action. Just wanted to post an update to keep my interest.

Just over 2 weeks ago I had surgery to remove a tennis ball sized growth from my chest. It's been one thing after another preventing me from getting back but after an appointment with the surgeon he said I can go back to doing lower body exercise and stationary cycling.

On my lunch break I'm going to nip back to my gym and renew my membership :)

Wow!

Y'all better now, yeah?

Wow!

Y'all better now, yeah?

Yea, the operation was successful and I'll be left with minimal scaring so I'm pretty delighted with that.

Still have bad movement on the left upper side but getting there day by day. It'll be another 4-6 weeks before I can start any upper body stuff.

Not sure what I'm going to work on but will draw up a plan later in the day (suggestions welcome!)

• Advertisement

Yea, the operation was successful and I'll be left with minimal scaring so I'm pretty delighted with that.

Good to hear!
    Pretty sure I'd have had maximum scaring if I'd had to have a tennis-ball sized growth removed from my chest! ;)

Back in business :)

rwTYbOU.jpg

First day back at it and it was tough. Got the gym late enough and it was very busy. Only things free were the bikes so did a warm up there.

Cycle 5k

Seated Leg Press
    88kg x 5
    97kg x 5
    106kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    124kg 3x5

Deadlifts
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    110kg x 1

Pretty happy with this tbh considering that before I finished up 2 months ago my 1RM was 120kg. So to only lose 10kg, I'm delighted. My grip was the only thing that let me down - need to get back to farmers walks.

Squats
    BW x 5
    Empty bar x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 1 (f) :o
    60kg x 2

So, this was pretty embarrassing. Had planned on working back to my 5x5 numbers and my last one was 60kg 5x5 and was able to blast through. Heck, when doing GVT I was doing 50kg 10x10 and here I couldn't even get out for a 3rd rep...

I'd blown my tank before moving to squats anyways. Legs were shot and jelly like. Going to change my time for the gym so I can start with squats instead of finishing.

Overall though, I'm chuffed to be back.

I'd almost forgotten what DOMS felt like :/ Ouch

Short session today. Squats are still rubbish but getting back a bit.

BW x 5
    Empty bar x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg 3x5

Deadlifts
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 5

Incline Leg Press
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5

Short but heavy/good session - except my squats cause my ankle mobility is rubbish again.

Barbell Row
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 10
    60kg x 7
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5

Deadlifts
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    110kg x 3
    *120kg x 1
    100kg x 3

Squats
    Empty bar x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg 5 x 5

Dumbbell Row
    22.5kg 3 x 5

*This is what my 1RM max was before injuries, Vegas and surgery. Pretty happy to be able to pull that after only 3 days back from a near 2 month break.

Met a nice Canadian dude there last night who was able to front squat enormous numbers for reps, at least to me anyways (160kg), and he was giving some advice pointers etc so hoping to meet him again there on Thursday.

A mixed bag of everything today really. First bit of any upper body work in ~10 weeks

Lat pulldown
    42kg x 10
    49kg x 10
    42kg x 10

Squats
    40kg x 5
    50kg 6x5

Deadlifts
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 3

Incline Hammer Curls
    10kg ph 3x10

Plank
    30s +10kg
    30s +10kg
    30s +10kg

Decline leg press
    80kg x5
    Calf Raises
    80kg x 10
    Decline leg press
    80kg x5
    Calf Raises
    80kg x 10
    Decline leg press
    80kg x5
    Calf Raises
    80kg x 10

Dumbbell Side Bend
    10kg x 10 on both sides

Lifting light on deadlifts as I'm trying to go back to my 5x5 program where I left off - 70kg. Squats, for the first time since being back, felt great. Certainly had 60kg 5x5 in me. This will be my Saturday workout.

Missed a workout entry and now can't remember what it was so I'll skip to last nights one.

Wanted to start with squats but the rack was in use so onto lying leg press

Lying leg press
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg 5x5 (Could be wrong but I think this is some sort of a PR? It was easy though so maybe not)

Lat pulldown
    27kg x 10
    35kg x 10
    42kg x 5
    49kg x 5
    Drop set
    42kg x 10
    35kg x 10
    27kg x 10

Lying leg curls
    15kg x 10
    20kg x 10
    25kg x 10

OHP
    20kg 10 x 2
    30kg 5 x 5
    20kg x 10

Sqauts
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5

Threw in squats at the end as I was looking for some DOMS today but alas, I didn't work hard enough. Only got to the gym with an hour to go so had to be quick enough.

If there's someone out there with worse luck than me I feel so sorry for you. Just back from the hospital and I've a partial tear in my left tricep.

Getting an ultrasound and x-ray tomorrow to determine the severity of it. Depending on the result I might need an operation. Again. 2nd one in less than 5 weeks.

I'm going to live in a bubble when all this is over with.

• Advertisement

If there's someone out there with worse luck than me I feel so sorry for you. Just back from the hospital and I've a partial tear in my left tricep.

Getting an ultrasound and x-ray tomorrow to determine the severity of it. Depending on the result I might need an operation. Again. 2nd one in less than 5 weeks.

I'm going to live in a bubble when all this is over with.

Bad luck, fella!

They need to put one of those cones around you...like the reverse of what they put over a dog's head.

Advertisement