Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Tablet for Kids

• 14-10-2013 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask if anyone had any recommendations for a good tablet running android with Wifi for a budget of €100. Its for a kids Christmas present.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

In all honestly, don't go for any one the cheap chinese tablets because they don't receive regular updates and the software / firmware is usually poorly done.

My advice, get the 1st gen Nexus 7 - going very cheap now since the 2nd gen is out but it's a brilliant tablet and perfect for Christmas presents. I know they don't hit your budget exactly but if you look around, you will get them quiet cheap.

EDIT: Two left in stock, £145 which is €170 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus-Tablet-Android-Jellybean/dp/B009Z2Q0H6/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2985T5U68AV6K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

How old is the child first ,
    What are you looking for them to use it for ,
    Games ,
    Internet
    Videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'd be in the same position for my little 3 yr old who has taken my ipad !!!

She would just play basic apps and watch films in the car when we are going on long drives.

No internet needed only wifi to get apps on the play store !

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

I got an Ainol Nova7 Crystal from HongKongGeek. Was $119 inc shipping , about €75 . My daughters 5 and loves it . Battery life is brilliant , easy 4-5 hrs movie watching and it is fast enough for anything she needs it for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would suggest a Nexus 7 too. I have a Motorola XOom it is old now but brilliant and the kids use it more then I do (4 and 2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

advertsfox wrote: »
    In all honestly, don't go for any one the cheap chinese tablets because they don't receive regular updates and the software / firmware is usually poorly done.

My advice, get the 1st gen Nexus 7 - going very cheap now since the 2nd gen is out but it's a brilliant tablet and perfect for Christmas presents. I know they don't hit your budget exactly but if you look around, you will get them quiet cheap.

EDIT: Two left in stock, £145 which is €170 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus-Tablet-Android-Jellybean/dp/B009Z2Q0H6/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2985T5U68AV6K

Thanks - looks good, but the budget was €100 - Food for thought though!

Gatling wrote: »
    How old is the child first ,
    What are you looking for them to use it for ,
    Games ,
    Internet
    Videos

Hi,

Twins - Aged 5 - boy and girl - They'd probably need all above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Xtravison have these. Not sure if they are any good, it's up to you to do the research!!

http://www.xtra-vision.ie/electronics/tablets/versus-touchtab-7v-no-layout-updates.html

chrislad wrote: »
    Xtravison have these. Not sure if they are any good, it's up to you to do the research!!

http://www.xtra-vision.ie/electronics/tablets/versus-touchtab-7v-no-layout-updates.html

Thanks for the link!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

also have ainol novocrystal 2 .. my 4.5 yr old loves it for coloring apps and watching cartoons. talking cats . join the dotts ..etcetc.. 75 to the door or less. longer batt time than she is allowed play on it. not a show stopper if it gets broken by accident...they do happen kids a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

also have ainol novocrystal 2 .. my 4.5 yr old loves it for coloring apps and watching cartoons. talking cats . join the dotts ..etcetc.. 75 to the door or less. longer batt time than she is allowed play on it. not a show stopper if it gets broken by accident...they do happen kids a lot.

Where was that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

sticker wrote: »
    Thanks for the link!

The 7" Versus for €99 is a great little unit - got one to replace a bricked AllWinner from focalprice - same tablet is €109 in Currys/PcWorld

Can't go wrong with it - and it has a reset button!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

If you could find a second-hand HP Touchpad, it would be perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Asus blue doesn't look too bad for 150e
    Very similar to the new nexus 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

got the ainol off hongkongeek.com.. you can eamil/ live chat them to ask for recommendations then google for reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Somebody posted that Heatons have tablets for €49.99 other than that I've no info on them.

I started a thread in BA that DID have 10" tablets for €129.99 and they are pretty good.

Advertisement