Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas leak and thick neighbours

Options
  • 14-10-2013 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Bit of a story here where all ends well but does make you wonder about some people.

I live second from the end of a cul de sac in an estate. Yesterday my girlfriend's sister came to visit and parked the car at the bottom. She noticed a smell of gas so both myself and the girlfriend walked down and we both confirmed it.

So we decided to call the Bord Gáis emergency line (found the number stickered to my boiler). BG was very professional and prompt, said they would send an engineer out immediately and provided the standard warnings about naked flames etc.

Engineer arrived in under 30 minutes and saw him talking to my neighbour's mother who stays there from time to time, the house at the very end and attached to mine. He was dead sound, thanking me profusely for ringing it in. He located the source to be my neighbour's gas meter. Anyway the conversation went on and the mother said that her daughter smelled the gas earlier in the day but thought that BG wouldn't be working on a Sunday. She then sort of blamed the daughter for being young (she's in her late 20's at least). Funnily enough she never thought of taking the matter into her own hands, particularly as her 4-5 year old grandchild was in the house too! :eek: I think the gas man and myself was thinking WTF in our minds.

All's well that ends well built just seems pretty stupid that people would smell gas outside their front door and do nothing about it, they didn't leave the house or mention anything to any of the neighbours. Pretty nonchalant about the whole thing despite having a young child and all there.

So are the dangers of gas leaks well known and publicized, as well as the emergency number, or are my neighbours a little dim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Your neighbours are just stupid; simple as. There was even an TV ad campaign about it not so long ago ffs! The emergency number probably isnt known immediately to everyone, but I cant imagine it would take more than 30 seconds to find it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah I remember a TV campaign alright. The sticker even says that if you can't get through on that number phone 999.

Common sense doesn't appear to be all that common I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

djimi wrote: »
    I cant imagine it would take more than 30 seconds to find it online.

Took me 8 seconds and that is because I spelt emergency wrong:D

Some people are just a bit dim I think or simply don't take any responsibility ie the older lady trying to blame the younger. You would imagine a call to the local Garda stattion if nothing else would have popped into her head if she honestly thought a company would leave an explosive substance leak for a whole weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Took me 8 seconds and that is because I spelt emergency wrong:D

Some people are just a bit dim I think or simply don't take any responsibility ie the older lady trying to blame the younger. You would imagine a call to the local Garda stattion if nothing else would have popped into her head if she honestly thought a company would leave an explosive substance leak for a whole weekend.

You could probably claim that they weren't taking any responsibility if they were walking along somewhere, smelled gas and thought there would be no available to sort it out. It wouldn't affect their own safety once they walked off so they could easily be lazy about it. But to smell gas literally outside your own front door is negligence to your own life potentially as well as others. If something major happened they would probably have taken the brunt of it. Potential Darwin award. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Quick google and I found the same emergency number in the first different three results back. And when I say quick google all I inputted was 'gas leak bord gais'. No excuses really.

Thankfully as you say its a happy ending.

• Advertisement
Advertisement