Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Article on Greystones

Options
  • 14-10-2013 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/uptown-and-downtown-1.1557925

Interested in hearing others opinions on the Irish Times Article about Greystones and Edenderry on Saturday.
    I for one as a Charlesland resident and community volunteer was fuming...........

The Edenderry side focussed correctly on the commercial side of the town and its impact. I grow up close to this town and am aware of this.
    The Greystones side was meant to be about how little business units are empty etc but half of the article was spent criticising Charlesland - harshly too.

My tuppence worth...in no particular order
    • Charlesland is not high rise- 90% of units are two storey
    • More business units would be empty if Greystones did not have Charlesland
    • Significant number of residents in Charlesland are younger generation of old Greystones
    • The demographic between Charlesland and other estates is the same (comment by local)
    • Charlesand is nearer to village than Eden Gate (comment by local)
    I understand that comments made by 3 particular locals were perhaps made in haste but really could they have been anymore ignorant on the facts.

Felt whole bashing was unnecessary and makes me think twice about the amount of energy I put into the village and environs if thats how the 'real' locals feel :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Emma A

couldn't agree more Caroline ! I am fuming and surely Leone Dooley's comments are just as applicable if not more to us living in Charlesland ?

"that Eden Gate, where she has lived for four years in an apartment, has a healthy mix of houses and apartments, with both young children and older people, singles and couples, and is within walking and cycling distance of the town "

I'm quite sure my cream and red bricked fronted two bed house is not a " bit of an eyesore "

In fact every visitor I have comments how well kept the estate is - no one is disputing its a big development but come on a "concrete jungle " ??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Got to agree - its was a strange and inconsistent article - I live the the 'heart' of Greystones (how priveledged I am :rolleyes:) and did feel Charlesland was maligned.

You got to wonder who Ms Holms was speaking to. The same paper also did separate fashion article on a local shop complete with local fashion model etc.

Not the first time Greystones has featured in the IT - I suspect we have some IT staffers living in our midst who have a particular jaundiced view of the social makeup of Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

"Charlesland, a brutally efficient steel and glass high-rise that looks out of place"

:D Ha ha...

who came up with that one????

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Read the article, agree on all points of the OP, and would also echo Emma's points on the "healthy mix of houses and apartments" apparently available in Eden Gate -has Ms. Dooley ever been in Charlesland?

Charlesland is well laid out, has plently of green areas, is impeccably maintained, and itself "has a healthy mix of houses and apartments".

At the time of buying, we had a choice between EG and Charlesland and chose the latter. EG is further away from the village, and on plans (and in reality subsequently) the buildings seemed very cramped.

You will always find ignorant people willing to give an opinion, unfortunately for the article it found three of them.
    Disappointed in the Times, the article could have done with a bit more of a sample opinion.

I'm a big fan of the "today's news is tomorrow's litter tray" analogy, so in the interests of giving this story the attention it warrants I wouldn't be commenting any further on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Spongebopp

Read the article, agree on all points of the OP, and would also echo Emma's points on the "healthy mix of houses and apartments" apparently available in Eden Gate -has Ms. Dooley ever been in Charlesland?

Charlesland is well laid out, has plently of green areas, is impeccably maintained, and itself "has a healthy mix of houses and apartments".

At the time of buying, we had a choice between EG and Charlesland and chose the latter. EG is further away from the village, and on plans (and in reality subsequently) the buildings seemed very cramped.

You will always find ignorant people willing to give an opinion, unfortunately for the article it found three of them.
    Disappointed in the Times, the article could have done with a bit more of a sample opinion.

I'm a big fan of the "today's news is tomorrow's litter tray" analogy, so in the interests of giving this story the attention it warrants I wouldn't be commenting any further on it.

I agree, I was so angry reading this. I have e-mailed The Irish Times to complain, I also asked them to consider putting a correction piece in.
    Maybe others could consider doing the same, strength in Numbers.
    It was supposed to be about Commercial units and instead took a pop at Charlesland! Imagine how danamging that is for people trying to sell a Property here. Why did they single out Charlesland like that?
    Lazy, poorly researched Journalism in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Why not ping the author directly via Twitter? It looks like she seeks input for her articles through that medium, anyway.

https://twitter.com/kateholmquist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Hmmm, seems Ms H has managed to upset residents across the board, I don't live in Charlesland and have my own thoughts about that development but I can see why the residents there would be livid and it's quite correct to say that there wouldn't be the same amount of thriving businesses without threir custom.

To suggest that Eden Gate in splendid isolation at two kilometers away is part of the town is ridiculous IMO

And dragging up the old chestnut of the supposed religious bias and the predominance of retired military types in the past in the Burnaby is sloppy journalism at its worst.

Why not feature an established eatery ? The Happy Pear has been done to death but what about the Three Q's , three young men trying to make a living in a small premises and holding their own against increasing quality opposition .

Anyway, that's my rant, lazy, lazy poorly researched writing, and SteveS, my edition was under the cat's litter tray by lunchtime Sat.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

Disappointingly most of the ignorant comments came from named Greystones residents. One even a member of our Chamber of Commerce.

I for one love my paradise in Charlesland :p

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

We were fuming as well when we read it. It smacks of such lazy journalism, she obviously came out to Greystones, stood on the Main St and interviewed a handful of people, making no attempt to verify what they were saying/get a different opinion.

What really struck us was the description of Charlesland, as Robertr quoted: "Charlesland, a brutally efficient steel and glass high-rise that looks out of place." YOU WHAT???? She obviously didn't even bother coming out to look at Charlesland or, if she did, maybe she could point out where this steel and glass high-rise is as, having lived here over 7 years, I've never come across it! Very disappointed in Kate Holmquist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

A very disappointing article by Kate Holmquist.
    It has the effect to be pitting new estates against each other reading the comments of 1 resident of Eden Gate and now the comments in this forum.
    Imagine how wrong she got her piece, all the more surprising as 2 of her colleagues are living in Greystones. Tim O Brien & Peter Murtagh, surely she could have had a chat with them before writing such a misguided article.

• Advertisement

Car2318 wrote: »
    Disappointingly most of the ignorant comments came from named Greystones residents. One even a member of our Chamber of Commerce.

Who was the member of the Chamber of Commerce and do they own a business in the town? Would be good to know as, if they object so much to Charlesland, I'm sure they'd also object to me spending my money in their business so I'll take my business elsewhere!

Car2318 wrote: »

Who was the member of the Chamber of Commerce and do they own a business in the town? Would be good to know as, if they object so much to Charlesland, I'm sure they'd also object to me spending my money in their business so I'll take my business elsewhere!

Lumbarda wrote: »

I don't like to name the person directly here but it is made clear in the article. I suppose we also have to assume/hope the comments were made in haste................

Lumbarda wrote: »

Robin Archer - Killincarrig resident. Builder & Chamber of Commerce (chairman I think?).

Robyn Archer - Wife of Robin - Career highlight: Once offered flower arranging lesson as a prize in Delgany NS Charity auction :-) http://delganyns.com/files/final_auction_list_2012.pdf

Leone Dooley: Random Eden Gate apartment resident. Likes (very) long walks to the village, and housing developments that have "a healthy mix of houses and apartments, with both young children and older people, singles and couples" - which apparently doesn't include Charlesland :confused:

So there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

At the time of buying, we had a choice between EG and Charlesland and chose the latter. EG is further away from the village, and on plans (and in reality subsequently) the buildings seemed very cramped..

You chose wrong Eden Gate is by far the better development with regard to quality of finish. I worked on both sites when they were being built and Charlesland was literally thrown together.

It's by no means a concrete jungle. I was shocked to see in the terraced houses that the only thing seperating one neighbour from the other is about 4 sheets of plasterboard and a stud wall. Not to mention the fake chimeys.

I think if Cosgraves had been the developers on Charlesland it would have been done to a higher standard. In saying that though there are plenty of open areas(islands surrounded by busy roads) for kids to play in.

I think it was a poorly planned development but a long way from being the worst one. Parking is defintely an issue but it seems to be developing well and there doesn't seem to be any signs of it becoming a rough area.

Not often I would use this but Steve................ LMAO!!
    Its the way you say it..................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Robin Archer of Archers glass.

http://www.archerswindows.ie/

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    You chose wrong Eden Gate is by far the better development with regard to quality of finish. I worked on both sites when they were being built and Charlesland was literally thrown together.

It's by no means a concrete jungle. I was shocked to see in the terraced houses that the only thing seperating one neighbour from the other is about 4 sheets of plasterboard and a stud wall. Not to mention the fake chimeys.

I think if Cosgraves had been the developers on Charlesland it would have been done to a higher standard. In saying that though there are plenty of open areas(islands surrounded by busy roads) for kids to play in.

I think it was a poorly planned development but a long way from being the worst one. Parking is defintely an issue but it seems to be developing well and there doesn't seem to be any signs of it becoming a rough area.
    I think I'm the best judge of how well I chose, but thanks for the concern :-) I live in a well-finished house in the Grove (I've had no issues in 8yrs), on a well-lit road, in a well-maintained, spacious area; and have great neighbours - but maybe I just got lucky Fred.

Eden Gate is a lovely area also, but it (still) wouldn't be my choice to live there - but then I'm not Leone Dooley, what do I know :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Emma A

funny how you Mr Fred and all the other builders were happy to be paid to "literally throw together" all these houses and never said a word ...

Robin Archer - Killincarrig resident. Builder & Chamber of Commerce (chairman I think?).

Robyn Archer - Wife of Robin - Career highlight: Once offered flower arranging lesson as a prize in Delgany NS Charity auction :-) http://delganyns.com/files/final_auction_list_2012.pdf

Leone Dooley: Random Eden Gate apartment resident. Likes (very) long walks to the village, and housing developments that have "a healthy mix of houses and apartments, with both young children and older people, singles and couples" - which apparently doesn't include Charlesland :confused:

So there :-)

Pretty sure Leone works in PR, so that would explain why she was quoted. Nothing can however explain her inaccurate statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The people named in the article are not absolute fair game for criticism as per the forum charter. What they said in the article is. Please remember this when posting. As always moderation feedback should never be on thread. Any issues/problems pm me or Damo

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 willow80

red_bairn wrote: »
    Robin Archer of Archers glass.

http://www.archerswindows.ie/

I would like to point out that Robin Archer is not involved with Archers Glass/Windows. Just to clarify.

willow80 wrote: »
    I would like to point out that Robin Archer is not involved with Archers Glass/Windows. Just to clarify.

Oh fair enough. I thought I saw him drive around in one of the vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

Read the article, you get those small minded people in every small town which is what Greystones once was who want it to stay the same forever. They can't see that building Charlesland which is hardly an eye sore has brought more money to the town. Plenty have come from Greystones that live there but me for one and plenty others didn't as it was a more affordable area to live than a lot of Dublin at the time of buying.

Reminds me of a time some idiot on the Dart when I first moved in was going on about how nice the houses in the Burnaby are compared to the Ghastly Charlesland on a Dart which would have been full of Charlesland commuters.

Greystones was once a quaint little quiet village but unlike other parts of the country the estates are lived in and there are no ghost estates and little or no unoccupied houses.

There's not much antisocial behaviour than anywhere else (probably less as you don't see gangs hanging around)

Charlesland has enhanced the area, all that was there before was a barren field!

Emma A wrote: »
    funny how you Mr Fred and all the other builders were happy to be paid to "literally throw together" all these houses and never said a word ...

I agree, why were you were happy to do a sub standard job knowing families were going to live there and pay high prices for these houses.
    My house in The Court is well built so you must have been having a good day!

IanL wrote: »
    Read the article, you get those small minded people in every small town which is what Greystones once was who want it to stay the same forever. They can't see that building Charlesland which is hardly an eye sore has brought more money to the town. Plenty have come from Greystones that live there but me for one and plenty others didn't as it was a more affordable area to live than a lot of Dublin at the time of buying.

Reminds me of a time some idiot on the Dart when I first moved in was going on about how nice the houses in the Burnaby are compared to the Ghastly Charlesland on a Dart which would have been full of Charlesland commuters.

Greystones was once a quaint little quiet village but unlike other parts of the country the estates are lived in and there are no ghost estates and little or no unoccupied houses.

There's not much antisocial behaviour than anywhere else (probably less as you don't see gangs hanging around)

Charlesland has enhanced the area, all that was there before was a barren field!

It's also good to note that the facilities such as the swimming pool and gym (formerly Shoreline) are most likely mainly used by these residents since they are in the locality. I like in Rathdown and haven't yet used either of them but I've been to the astro turf/skate park area.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Don't let it bother you too much Folks. I am middle aged ;) and have lived here all my life. For some people that is still not long enough. Thankfully I think those bigots (not naming anyone) are dying out, literally, although some of their offspring still have a bit of a chip. So don't worry Charleslanders , it's not personal it's just what all us 'blow in's':D have to go through. For the record, the apartments in Charlesland are bigger than the apartments in Kilcoole North ....oops sorry, I meant Eden gate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

You obviously were not involved in the whole development because the same detail / wall construction was used in Eden Gate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don't think that it was Mr.Fred's intention to offend.
    He was simply speaking form his own experience/observations.
    Emma A wrote: »

It is important to note that tradespeople were not responsible for the design of buildings in Charlesland or for the methods of construction. Buildings / housing estates are designed by architects and engineers and signed off by same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Millers02

2011 wrote: »
    It is important to note that tradespeople were not responsible for the design of buildings in Charlesland or for the methods of construction. Buildings / housing estates are designed by architects and engineers and signed off by same.

Yes, but they were responsible for things like not connecting the waste water pipe to the bath, etc. (as happened to a neighbour).

We have redone our bathroom and the plumber who did the work couldn't believe that the cistern to our toilet had been attached to the wall by two nails, through the cistern. He couldn't believe it hadn't sprung a leak - nothing wrong with the quality of the cistern or other materials used, just shoddy workmanship in assembling everything.

Personally, I steer clear of plumbers/electricians who tell me they worked on finishing these houses, the standard of care was not always what it should have been.

Advertisement