Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Article on Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Maybe people don't mean to offend but I think they should bear in mind, when they use such disparaging terms as "thrown together" and "eyesore" that they are talking about people's HOMES at the end of the day.

I also have to disagree with Mr Fred's opinion, we were househunting for 3 years before we decided to buy in Charlesland and, in that time, we did indeed see some examples of houses which were "thrown together", including one showhouse in a much sought after area with a crack down the wall through which you could see daylight! Therefore, when we did look at Charleland we were very impressed by the build quality and, over 7 years later, have had no structural issues or other concerns. In fact I am amazed at how good the soundproofing is between the houses, we have one direct neighbour with a young family and we literally hear NOTHING unless they are really yelling at the tops of their voices! My sister lived in a South Dublin Victorian redbrick(i.e. many people's ideal house) for many years and could hear practically every conversation that her neighbours had!

We also looked at Eden Gate but chose Charlesland as, yes, while the finish was better in Eden Gate, we couldn't justify paying 40% more for a smaller house with a tiny garden. We certainly haven't regretted our choice, couldn't be happier than we are in Charlesland, we have lovely neighbours, lots of kids around for our little one to play with, really quiet at night (visitors can never get over how peaceful it is, given its size!), easy walking distance to Greystones (no uphill climb :D) etc. etc.

I just wish the Irish Times had bothered to look at the area properly before publishing such an inconsiderate and ill-judged article. :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Millers02 wrote: »
    Yes, but they were responsible for things like not connecting the waste water pipe to the bath, etc. (as happened to a neighbour).

Absolutely.

We have redone our bathroom and the plumber who did the work couldn't believe that the cistern to our toilet had been attached to the wall by two nails, through the cistern. He couldn't believe it hadn't sprung a leak - nothing wrong with the quality of the cistern or other materials used, just shoddy workmanship in assembling everything.

Personally, I steer clear of plumbers/electricians who tell me they worked on finishing these houses, the standard of care was not always what it should have been.

I think that this is the exactly the sort of thing that Mr.Fred was referring to in terms of "quality of finish".

Lumbarda wrote: »
    Maybe people don't mean to offend but I think they should bear in mind, when they use such disparaging terms as "thrown together" and "eyesore" that they are talking about people's HOMES at the end of the day.

I agree, but those terms were not used by Mr.Fred.

Therefore, when we did look at Charlesland we were very impressed by the build quality and, over 7 years later, have had no structural issues or other concerns.

It does not necessarily follow that a building that does not have "structural issues" is well built, designed or finished.

Do you not have "other concerns" because of a qualification you have related to the construction industry (engineer/tradesperson etc..)?

We also looked at Eden Gate but chose Charlesland as, yes, while the finish was better in Eden Gate, we couldn't justify paying 40% more for a smaller house with a tiny garden.

It would seem that you made the correct choice, for you.
    It would also seem that you are suggesting that Eden Gate has a better finish which was part of Mr.Fred's point.

We certainly haven't regretted our choice, couldn't be happier than we are in Charlesland

This seems to be the view of most people that live there from what I can see.

I too was disappointed by the article, but I do not feel that it follows that the standard of construction and finishing in Charlesland was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

[...] easy walking distance to Greystones (no uphill climb :D) etc. etc.

I just wish the Irish Times had bothered to look at the area properly before publishing such an inconsiderate and ill-judged article. :mad:

The apartments at the end of Charlesland stick up high...but it's on an incline. Could this have made the journalist think they were quite high or did she just ask from the public in the town? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Having grown up in Greystones and moving out at 18 (that was in 1999), the difference when I visit the town now is dramatic. I must say I am not overly fond of the area any more. IT has lost its charm in a big way.

Charlesland is part of that reason, but above all the harbour and La Touché Hotel have effectively destroyed what was once a beautiful village

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

"I agree, but those terms were not used by Mr.Fred."

Actually Mr Fred DID use the term "literally thrown togther" .

"Do you not have "other concerns" because of a qualification you have related to the construction industry (engineer/tradesperson etc..)?"

What has this got to do with anything? I am just stating OUR experience, i.e. we have had NO problems with our house, tho', yes, BTW we do have professional experience in the construction industry.

"It would seem that you made the correct choice, for you.
    It would also seem that you are suggesting that Eden Gate has a better finish which was part of Mr.Fred's point."

Indeed, as I said, and which certainly came at a premium pricewise as I also stated.

"I too was disappointed by the article, but I do not feel that it follows that the standard of construction and finishing in Charlesland was good."

Well I am just stating my opinion as an actual resident of Charlesland, based on my experience over the past 7+ years living here, but maybe that doesn't count for anything. :confused:

P.S. for some reason quotes didn't work!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

I too left the little village I was reared in at 18 (circa 1996 :o) but I do not expect or wish for it to be same almost 20 years later. Nor was it the same 20 years prior to my arrival into this world.

The main point here is that the article was used by the journalist as an attack on one of many new estates that have been built in the area, coupled with some hastily made comments by residents.

Thankfully us Charleslanders are clearly very fond of our own homes, neighbours and concrete community...........................

Greystones today.............tomorrow the world!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What has this got to do with anything?
    Clearly the opinion of a qualified professional carries more weight. That is the whole point of a qualification :)
    Indeed, as I said, and which certainly came at a premium pricewise as I also stated.
    ...and that was never disputed.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

2011 wrote: »
    I don't think that it was Mr.Fred's intention to offend.
    He was simply speaking form his own experience/observations.

It is important to note that tradespeople were not responsible for the design of buildings in Charlesland or for the methods of construction. Buildings / housing estates are designed by architects and engineers and signed off by same.

That may be the case but was it the architects and engineers that didnt bother making all the tiles in the bathroom reach the ceiling, or was it those who put a timer on the boiler but didnt bother wiring it in. Or who wired the electrics up for the lighting incorrectly and instead of correcting it just wired the switches up wrong to compensate ;-), or not bother putting pipes in-between the vents, i could go on (and on).
    There were a lot of corners cut when building charlesland but we have modified our house that much any problems have been put right, i am sure that most people who have lived here for a while have gotten round to fixing things that were not right during the build.

On top of that all our visitors (mostly from UK) love the estate and how well kept it is, they also say seeing the apartments make them feel like they are at a holiday resort (in a good way)

Jimjay wrote: »
    That may be the case but was it the architects and engineers that didnt bother making all the tiles in the bathroom reach the ceiling, or was it those who put a timer on the boiler but didnt bother wiring it in. Or who wired the electrics up for the lighting incorrectly and instead of correcting it just wired the switches up wrong to compensate ;-), or not bother putting pipes in-between the vents, i could go on (and on).
    There were a lot of corners cut when building charlesland but we have modified our house that much any problems have been put right, i am sure that most people who have lived here for a while have gotten round to fixing things that were not right during the build.

On top of that all our visitors (mostly from UK) love the estate and how well kept it is, they also say seeing the apartments make them feel like they are at a holiday resort (in a good way)

All fair points. I agree with all of the above and if it any consolation I have spent the last few years dealing with similar issues in my own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

red_bairn wrote: »
    The apartments at the end of Charlesland stick up high...but it's on an incline. Could this have made the journalist think they were quite high or did she just ask from the public in the town? :S

Is this like the Fr. Ted analogy, "Small vs. Far away"? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

The article confuses seaview with Charlesland. Seaview does look a bit out of place TBH! Eden Gate is nicer than Charlesland but dearer and further away from the village. All in all charlesland is a great place to live. a mixed group of people from everywhere so no blow in nonse here! Very little trouble and well policed. Reasonably well finished now. Was put together by less than skilled people but structurally allright and well insulated. Good environment is a bonus. Shopping centre needs work and rents revised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

IanL wrote: »
    Read the article, you get those small minded people in every small town which is what Greystones once was who want it to stay the same forever. They can't see that building Charlesland which is hardly an eye sore has brought more money to the town. Plenty have come from Greystones that live there but me for one and plenty others didn't as it was a more affordable area to live than a lot of Dublin at the time of buying.

Reminds me of a time some idiot on the Dart when I first moved in was going on about how nice the houses in the Burnaby are compared to the Ghastly Charlesland on a Dart which would have been full of Charlesland commuters.

Greystones was once a quaint little quiet village but unlike other parts of the country the estates are lived in and there are no ghost estates and little or no unoccupied houses.

There's not much antisocial behaviour than anywhere else (probably less as you don't see gangs hanging around)

Charlesland has enhanced the area, all that was there before was a barren field!

Eh no, what was there before Charlesland was a tidy well run tillage farm, just for the record like....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Millers02

2011 wrote: »
    I think that this is the exactly the sort of thing that Mr.Fred was referring to in terms of "quality of finish".

To be more clear. When we renovated our bathroom and saw how the cistern had been fixed to the wall, a couple of neighbours checked theirs, to make sure that they weren't in danger of leaks - they weren't. The other cisterns had been fixed to the wall very nicely, it was just us. This method was not the specified finish.

Maybe it was a Friday afternoon and the plumber doing our bathroom wanted to get home, maybe it was an apprentice who didn't know what he was doing - I don't know, but it was the plumber - and no one else - who was responsible.

Millers02 wrote: »
    Maybe it was a Friday afternoon and the plumber doing our bathroom wanted to get home, maybe it was an apprentice who didn't know what he was doing - I don't know, but it was the plumber - and no one else - who was responsible.

Agreed, plumber is responsible for those sort of issues.
    That is why my reply to your comment about this (above) was "Absolutely".

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

In general the standard of workmanship during the Celtic piss ant period was of a lower quality than at any other time in the States history. I think that is and undeniable fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

This isn't about building standards. Stay on topic. It is about an inaccurate piece of journalism that has been published in a national paper, that creates bad feeling in a small town and most importantly could affect house prices.

It's about a small bigoted few that do not realise that without Charlesland's money, the Main Street would have very few cafes and restaurants. That Charlesland probably brings an increased footfall to those businesses of 50% or more because over 90% of the estate (at least) is the demographic that eat and drink in the Main Street unlike the increasingly elderly population of this so called Protestant town in 2013. That the restaurant/cafe culture is thriving BECAUSE of Charlesland.

It's not only lazy journalism but quite a nasty little article.

BTW I read on FB someone saying (presumably a Stoner born and bred) that they objected to the development but they now have friends in Charlesland. It reminded me of the "I have a friend who is gay/black". Wow! Good for you being mates with one. Make sure you wash your hands now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This isn't about building standards. Stay on topic. It is about an inaccurate piece of journalism that has been published in a national paper, that creates bad feeling in a small town and most importantly could affect house prices.

It's about a small bigoted few that do not realise that without Charlesland's money, the Main Street would have very few cafes and restaurants. That Charlesland probably brings an increased footfall to those businesses of 50% or more because over 90% of the estate (at least) is the demographic that eat and drink in the Main Street unlike the increasingly elderly population of this so called Protestant town in 2013. That the restaurant/cafe culture is thriving BECAUSE of Charlesland.

It's not only lazy journalism but quite a nasty little article.

BTW I read on FB someone saying (presumably a Stoner born and bred) that they objected to the development but they now have friends in Charlesland. It reminded me of the "I have a friend who is gay/black". Wow! Good for you being mates with one. Make sure you wash your hands now.

Please do not back seat moderate. If you feel a comment is off topic then report it and the moderators will deal with it. Also with regard to the FB comment I've also asked previously on this thread that people adhere to the forum charter. Comments like that are veering towards a charter breach.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GSLOCAL

Wow, well everyone seems to have been very busy since the Irish Times article came out. I've read all the comments and like the journalists piece, some of them are incredibly lazy with regard to facts.

1) The local mentioned in the article doesn't work for Archers Windows.
    2) He does not "head up the Chamber'
    3) The journalist did her utmost not to quote him properly. I've been in his company and heard him make the case that some people move to Greystones and then want to keep it as it is, because that's what's brought them here. He argues if he, as a long standing resident, had had the same attitude then Hillside, Redford etc might not have been built. She decided for her own reasons to take part of his comments and make them into an attack on Charlesland. From my dealings with him I would say he's all for progress/development carried out in a sensitive way, which would seem logical to me.

The sad thing from looking at the comments is that instead of everyone defending our beautiful town (yes despite the harbour not being finished) it turns into some sort of Charlesland versus the Burnaby rant.

There's more things right than wrong in the area so why not focus on the positive and complain about the shoddy journalism. Edenderry went mad building during the boom, hence it has loads of places empty, Greystones did not, hence our commercial occupancy rate is high. It's not rocket science but clearly past this journalist by.

I think you have missed the point.
    It is because we love Greystones that we in Charlesland were so insulted. We feel we contribute in many different ways to this town.
    Everyone agrees about the shoddy journalism and yes it is unfortunate that she used their quotes in the article but at end of day it was said. I hope those individuals have pulled Ms Holmquist apart on it as am sure they are not happy either.
    P.s i dont see any mention of Burnaby in previous posts?

Most importantly everyone agrees on what a great spot this is.....why the hell did author not concentrate on that and reasons it has done so well?

Thats my last on it.

Actually thats not my last on it :))
    Greystones and ALL of it is a super area. We love it here and plan on staying and rearing our kids here. Everyone together makes it.

Either I am getting old or sensitive but would hate to think those quoted were upset over it all. Gosh if I was ever caught on bad day I'd be up in court for what I may say!!

Just saying......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Pointless thread.. Neither charlesland or Eden gate are in Greystones no matter how you wish it was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Pointless thread.. Neither charlesland or Eden gate are in Greystones no matter how you wish it was the case.

Well, even less reason to completely slate it so as the article was about Greystones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Don't feed the troll folks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

You'r back??? Wahooo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Thanks Mom

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Tarquin, I told you unsupervised access to the interweb is not allowed. Now apologise to your imaginary friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

*Back on topic folks

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

I see that the stones was 4th on the best town to live in in Ireland in the Sunday Times. Anyone have the full list?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Buzkashi

I see that the stones was 4th on the best town to live in in Ireland in the Sunday Times. Anyone have the full list?

Illustrated with a photo of the harbour — the old harbour!!

1395261_10201489101247521_1223609752_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Buzkashi wrote: »
    Illustrated with a photo of the harbour — the old harbour!!

1395261_10201489101247521_1223609752_n.jpg

Third boat along, turned upside down with the patch. That was mine.

Advertisement