Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Article on Greystones

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Spongebopp

Pointless thread.. Neither charlesland or Eden gate are in Greystones no matter how you wish it was the case.

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jasonbourne.cs

read some of the comments in the IT site around the article

"Greystones is an example of how to get it right; strong public transport"

I'm sorry , what ? strong public transport ?? clearly this person has never used said transport ,have lived in greystones for 30 years and using the dart/train is a huge headache !

lost count of how many times the train has been cancelled for one reason or another or how many times I've walked to the station in the morning to be told oh yeah Dublin bus will be honoring tickets... great :rolleyes:

yes Greystones and Charlesland are nice places to live but I wouldn't be selling it based on the merits of the transport system . once January rolls around and decent bouts of rain and snow occur , both bus and rail will be letting commuters down on a regular basis .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Spongebopp wrote: »
    Seriously?
    He's trolling again. Ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mrmright

read some of the comments in the IT site around the article

"Greystones is an example of how to get it right; strong public transport"

I'm sorry , what ? strong public transport ?? clearly this person has never used said transport ,have lived in greystones for 30 years and using the dart/train is a huge headache !

lost count of how many times the train has been cancelled for one reason or another or how many times I've walked to the station in the morning to be told oh yeah Dublin bus will be honoring tickets... great :rolleyes:

yes Greystones and Charlesland are nice places to live but I wouldn't be selling it based on the merits of the transport system . once January rolls around and decent bouts of rain and snow occur , both bus and rail will be letting commuters down on a regular basis .

HERE HERE! Totaly agree! Advertisers for rental properties or selling purposes stress the commuting benefits. I don't see it. Doing this commute for so many years now and have the same views. Not to forget that we are all looking at yet another rail fare increase which increases the cost for people moving here and not to mention the fare differential between Bray & Greystones to Pearse for example.... To be fair to all commuters all stop to stop journeys should be charged equally....anyway thats for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sommelier

Least we all not forget the developers of Charlesland gave €4 million to the building of Shoreline, donated the Recreation Park to the Community and even gave €500,000 to refurbish Greystones Library. The town had no direct access to the N11 prior to the construction of Charlesland (only bad back roads through Delgany village). We had no Aircoach, no 84X, a poor DART timetable,3 less schools & 6 less Creche/Montessori facilities. All this and a lot more has happened post Charlesland.
    I am a local, even a native, and the people in Charlesland are very welcome. I don't live in Charlesland but a lot of my friends do and they love it there. The people of Charlesland play a huge role in the vibrancy of our town and contribute immensely to commerce in Greystones.
    The Irish Times article can only be described as amateur journalism ill researched. The contributors belong to a very different Greystones where part of the community was looked down upon by another part. Thankfully Greystones is not like that anymore but unfortunately one or two of those bygone bigots are still knocking around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

sommelier wrote: »
    Least we all not forget the developers of Charlesland gave €4 million to the building of Shoreline, donated the Recreation Park to the Community and even gave €500,000 to refurbish Greystones Library. The town had no direct access to the N11 prior to the construction of Charlesland (only bad back roads through Delgany village). We had no Aircoach, no 84X, a poor DART timetable,3 less schools & 6 less Creche/Montessori facilities. All this and a lot more has happened post Charlesland.
    I am a local, even a native, and the people in Charlesland are very welcome. I don't live in Charlesland but a lot of my friends do and they love it there. The people of Charlesland play a huge role in the vibrancy of our town and contribute immensely to commerce in Greystones.
    The Irish Times article can only be described as amateur journalism ill researched. The contributors belong to a very different Greystones where part of the community was looked down upon by another part. Thankfully Greystones is not like that anymore but unfortunately one or two of those bygone bigots are still knocking around.
    Totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

[...]no 84X, a poor DART timetable[...]

When was Charlesland built? I thought the 84x has been around for longer than that. Nonetheless, well said on all the items you mentioned.

All we need is a McDonalds up near the Edengate/N11 road. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sommelier

red_bairn wrote: »
    When was Charlesland built? I thought the 84x has been around for longer than that. Nonetheless, well said on all the items you mentioned.

All we need is a McDonalds up near the Edengate/N11 road. :D

You're right, we had the old (2 buses into Dublin & 2 out) 84 Expresso, it only had two stops in Greystones (Blacklion & Railway Station). I think we have six in and out now with more stops including Charlesland.
    The big point is the people of Charlesland have brought better services to Greystones!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The big point is the people of Charlesland have brought better services to Greystones!:)
    As well as all the other new estates in the area who have contributed to bringing more services to Greystones and surrounding areas.
    The bigger the population the more services we get usually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The last few lines of the IT article "With locals keeping a hawk eye on planning, and determined to become involved, Greystones stands a fair chance of expanding while keeping its heart."

It made me think of the proposed rezoning of an isolated large chunk of land for new housing in the current draft development plan, way out on the far end of Farrankelly Road.
    Charlesland was IMO a good planning decision (being within a short walk of the town centre and the Dart). Eden Gate less so, but this latest rezoning has no merit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Spongebopp

That is really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Why not ping the author directly via Twitter? It looks like she seeks input for her articles through that medium, anyway.

https://twitter.com/kateholmquist[/QUOTE]

Attrocious! by Kate Holmquist but then this is the same type of lazy stereotyping we get from local councillors. Derek Mitchell, in promoting Ballymore's plan for a massive shopping centre and large houses behind Charlesland Park cited the need for 4 bedroom houses so the people living in the mainly 1 and 2 bedroom units in Charlesland could "move up". Comical when there are zero 1 beds and a low number of 2 beds.

Holmquist obviously think Seabourne View alone is Charlesland. Inexcusable lack of basic research and, in my view Seabourne looks absolutely fine where it is, not conflicting with any "traditional" building unlike the great eyesore where the harbour used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jasonbourne.cs

no 84X, a poor DART timetable

the 84x was around before and the dart service is still crap :rolleyes:

that said the Community Centre / Running track / Astro turf pitches are a nice addition and get good use out of them , plus the Charlesland to Kilpeddar road is a nice route / good distance for running

the 84x was around before and the dart service is still crap :rolleyes:

that said the Community Centre / Running track / Astro turf pitches are a nice addition and get good use out of them , plus the Charlesland to Kilpeddar road is a nice route / good distance for running
    Nope.

84 was around before Charlesland (even featured in the opening credits to Glenroe!). The 84X only commenced service after the bulk of the development was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

Eponymous wrote: »
    Nope.

84 was around before Charlesland (even featured in the opening credits to Glenroe!). The 84X only commenced service after the bulk of the development was done.

84X started in summer 1996.

drag0n79 wrote: »
    84X started in summer 1996.
    I've lived in Greystones since Jan 2002, don't ever recall seeing the 84x before Charlesland was near completion.

I sit corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I've lived in Greystones since Jan 2002, don't ever recall seeing the 84x before Charlesland was near completion.

I sit corrected.

BLOW IN

:D

RosieJoe wrote: »
    BLOW IN

:D
    Wasp. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Wasp. :pac:

Why Wasp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe take it to pm?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement