Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC have upgraded their speeds again! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Excellent, when is it happening and what about the people currently on 100mb ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

200mb/s down as the top package is nice, but 10mb/s up? thats still a little silly, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

KTRIC wrote: »
    Excellent, when is it happening and what about the people currently on 100mb ?[/QUOTE

No change to users on 100mb unless you ring them i.e. you won't be upgraded automatically. You can ring them to upgrade you to the new 120 basic package but you'll need to enter into a new 12 month contract. Worth it as you're paying less for more unless you want to avoid being tied into a 12 month contract again. They no longer have a middle package, just 120 or 200.

are current 150mb customers automagically upgraded? trying to reboot my modem, but doing it remotely may end badly...

lotas wrote: »
    are current 150mb customers automagically upgraded? trying to reboot my modem, but doing it remotely may end badly...

I would suspect no unless you ring them up - again I suspect to avail of the new speed increases, UPC would like you to enter a new 12 month contract for that privilege. Not an issue if you have no plans to move ;) I still think BB wise, they're the best

• Advertisement

Ayyy, will need to give them a ring and get the upgrade... got 2 150mb lines currently... 400Mb/s down would be very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

Just speaking to a care agent said they'll be automatically upgrading 100mb customers to 120. Not sure if everyone will begetting it today or what though. I'd imagine if you're on the Horizon TV max package and on 100 Bband then you'll be auto upgraded.
    Though this contradicts what Adsluser says above somewhat so prob safer if you ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Mech1

I am on the 150mb and phone only no tv or Horison, I just called and was told I wasnt eligible it was for horizon customers only.

Can anyone confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

UPC are not a good company to deal with but their sexy sexy broadband just keeps me coming back for more. :(

Mech1 wrote: »
    I am on the 150mb and phone only no tv or Horison, I just called and was told I wasnt eligible it was for horizon customers only.

Can anyone confirm?

That's doesn't sound right, they clearly indicate these packages are available separately without the need for Horizon.

http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/

As it was launched today, it's possible their customer care unit is not up to date on all the new packages

I was on the 100Mb and rang them today and they upgraded me to 120Mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭circadian

My 150 package was already clocking 180 so I doubt I'll notice any real increase.

Might drop to the lowest package at renewal since 120 is adequite enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Why are UPC able to offer this great service where as Sky and Eircom are beyond **** (in relative terms) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Will have to give them a ring today, and get moved onto the faster package :D.

A good breakdown of new packages compared with old from silicon republic
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/34501-upc-ups-the-standard-with/

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

circadian wrote: »
    My 150 package was already clocking 180 so I doubt I'll notice any real increase.

Might drop to the lowest package at renewal since 120 is adequite enough.

Very simply infrastructure even Eircom and with that all other providers have missed the boat again with there FTTC offerings as you still need a copper phone line for the last point of connection and that massively limits speed. Only areas with FTTH from Eircom can dream of these sort of speeds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Very simply infrastructure even Eircom and with that all other providers have missed the boat again with there FTTC offerings as you still need a copper phone line for the last point of connection and that massively limits speed. Only areas with FTTH from Eircom can dream of these sort of speeds.

so basically Eircom's FTTC 70meg and vectoring 100meg is going to get outdated very quickly over next few years with the speed ceiling already reached?.

AT this stage it's not hard to imagine UPC will be offering speeds close to 500meg in about 2 years while Eircom will still be rolling out 70meg Fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

120 and 200 m/bit options simplifies matters. I can only imagine the very greediest of people will go for the 200 package. On the download side 120 is plenty for now. Again UPC missed the opportunity to put Eircom in their place in terms of upload speed. 20 m/bit or 30 m/bit upload speed would be a real reason to go for the higher priced pacakge. I'm still happier with 70 x 20 than I would be with 200 x 10.

Does anyone know the definitive reason why UPC stick with 10m/bit upload rate across all packages?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While it is great news that UPC are upgrading, I wouldn't necessarily say that this blows Eircom out of the water.

The biggest obvious problem is that UPC only offers 10mb/s up. Eircom offer 20mb/s up on all their products. To be honest, most people would see little difference between 70mb/s down versus 120mb/s down, at these speeds you are usually limited by the site you are downloading from. However people would definitely notice a difference between 20mb/s and 10mb/s when uploading videos, pictures, etc.

The other issue is that €44 is a relatively high price for the entry level package.

For instance Vodafone offer 70mb/20mb for €35 per month. That would be a very attractive package to many people, more attractive then paying another €9 for download speed they won't use.

So a good move my UPC, but I feel they have more to do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Praetorian wrote: »
    Does anyone know the definitive reason why UPC stick with 10m/bit upload rate across all packages?

I don't have a definitive answer or any inside knowledge, this issue seems to effect the cable industry throughout the world, but I posted the following explanation in a previous thread:
    I think the biggest issue is that the cable industry simply wasn't focused on increasing upload speeds, instead focusing just on download speeds. They now have been caught out by this with the growth of cloud computing type services with high upload speed demands.

While the DOCSIS 3 standard supports 4 bonded upstream channels, thus supporting a theoretical 120mb/s upload speed, some of the problems being face by the cable industry are:

- Some DOCSIS 3 modems only support one upstream channel, thus would need to be upgraded.
    - Some CMTS are only certified for one upstream channel, thus would need to be upgraded.
    - A lot of reconfiguration of ports at the CMTS is needed to support channel bonding.
    - Currently most seem to be only using 16 QAM for upstream, versus the 64 or 256 QAM for Downstream. This makes the upload speed slower, notice UPC only offer 10mb/s upstream, despite it theoretically supporting 30mb/s, even without channel bonding. I can only assume this is because they are using slower 16 QAM, perhaps because of backwards compatibility issues with older DOCSIS 1.0 modems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

bk wrote: »
    While it is great news that UPC are upgrading, I wouldn't necessarily say that this blows Eircom out of the water.

The biggest obvious problem is that UPC only offers 10mb/s up. Eircom offer 20mb/s up on all their products. To be honest, most people would see little difference between 70mb/s down versus 120mb/s down, at these speeds you are usually limited by the site you are downloading from. However people would definitely notice a difference between 20mb/s and 10mb/s when uploading videos, pictures, etc.

The other issue is that €44 is a relatively high price for the entry level package.

For instance Vodafone offer 70mb/20mb for €35 per month. That would be a very attractive package to many people, more attractive then paying another €9 for download speed they won't use.

So a good move my UPC, but I feel they have more to do.

Don't you also have to pay phoneline rental, though?

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »

Thinking about it further, I guess UPC are hoping that people don't hear about the Vodafone package and only compare it to the Eircom entry level package, which in fairness, UPC is much better value for money.

UPC:
    €44, 120mb/s down, 10mb/s up, unlimited cap, free off peak calls

Eircom:
    €45, 50mb/s down, 20mb/s up, 30GB cap, free off peak calls

Vodafone:
    €35 *, 70mb/s down, 20mb/s up, unlimited cap, no phone line

* €32 for Vodafone mobile customers.

Ok so in fairness, Vodafone doesn't include a phone service, but in reality I don't think most people want a phone service these days!

The other issue is really light users, who don't want to get stuck in a longterm contract. While I'm not crazy about mobile wireless tech, I think 4G modems with lets say a 50gig cap for around €20 per month will be very popular.

mitosis wrote: »
    Don't you also have to pay phoneline rental, though?

No, no extra cost, "line rental" is included in the €35 cost, however you can't actually use it to make calls as it is broadband only.

This is sort of a new concept to the Irish broadband market, but a welcome one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

And...when and how much will this "free" upgrade cost us? I have no doubt there is another price increase coming soon.
    After nearly every "free" upgrade in the past, there was a price increase shortly afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Thats great ,i am on 150 meg ,so it looks like 200 meg is new speed ,upload could be better 10meg still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Just off the phone - I took my free bump as I have been on a new 12 months since a couple of weeks ago.

And I just checked my account there - my bill hasn't risen at all in the last 12 months, despite being told that it would - I seem to have been paying €52 plus calls for the whole year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I've been with UPC for about 4 or 5 years and I'm fairly sure I'm paying double now compared to what I paid back then. I told them that after the last price increase I would leave if they do it to me again.

I don't want faster speeds. I don't want to pay more. I can play FIFA online and watch Netflix in HD wirelessly. The odd time I want to download an album or a concert, I just go in for a wee and by the time I come back it's already done. UPC better leave me alone or I am going to break up with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

what about people on 50mb will we get boosted to 120mb!!! if so is it automatic, great news :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just upgraded to the horizon service max package keeping my unlimited international phone calls, broadband speed going up from 100mbps to 200mbps and I'm paying €3 less per month than I'm paying now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Just rang there. My 150Mb line is now 200Mb and I still keep what's left of my 6 month discount from the UPC boards deal.

1mg4.png

Advertisement