Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC have upgraded their speeds again! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

3wayswitch wrote: »
    Just rang there. My 150Mb line is now 200Mb and I still keep what's left of my 6 month discount from the UPC boards deal.

1mg4.png

So you are still on the 6 month intro rate and were able to upgrade. Wow interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

So you are still on the 6 month intro rate and were able to upgrade. Wow interesting.

Yup. I wasn't sure if I could keep the discount since I was technically signing a new 12 month contract but the customer service rep confirmed I would still be on my intro rate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote: »
    While it is great news that UPC are upgrading, I wouldn't necessarily say that this blows Eircom out of the water.

The biggest obvious problem is that UPC only offers 10mb/s up. Eircom offer 20mb/s up on all their products. To be honest, most people would see little difference between 70mb/s down versus 120mb/s down, at these speeds you are usually limited by the site you are downloading from. However people would definitely notice a difference between 20mb/s and 10mb/s when uploading videos, pictures, etc.

The other issue is that €44 is a relatively high price for the entry level package.

For instance Vodafone offer 70mb/20mb for €35 per month. That would be a very attractive package to many people, more attractive then paying another €9 for download speed they won't use.

So a good move my UPC, but I feel they have more to do.

I wonder if UPC are falling into the "Intel" trap? I think they have been blinded by speed whereas surely the benefits of these speed increases will actually be lost for many customers.

To get the benefits of these type of speeds you need to be on ethernet and even then I am sure many pcs and laptops still have old ethernet cards.

I am sure many if not most people now are connecting by wifi. The wifi performance of the equipment being provided by UPC seems poor to judge by customers's reactions. While the Horizon box by definition will be placed in most cases in a location which is very poor for wifi prospects. (Under a tv in a corner?)

UPC wont even deign to engage with their customers on the issue of bridging which might solve a lot of practical problems for customers in the wifi area. (Better router, better positioning)

It is great to have speeds that we would never have dreamt of not so long ago but I fear UPC continue to ignore the real needs of most of their customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I agree the wifi is very poor and I have have had to invest in home plugs for my desktop and consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I tried to upgrade my 50mb phone + internet to the new 120mb on their website and it seemed to want to charge me a 45euro setup charge for the privilege (even though the order form acknowledged I was an existing customer). Anyone who got upgraded calling them get hit with this charge? The modem I have is the newer version so this 45quid charge is for basically a tiny software change on their side from what I can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Toast wrote: »
    I tried to upgrade my 50mb phone + internet to the new 120mb on their website and it seemed to want to charge me a 45euro setup charge for the privilege (even though the order form acknowledged I was an existing customer). Anyone who got upgraded calling them get hit with this charge? The modem I have is the newer version so this 45quid charge is for basically a tiny software change on their side from what I can tell.

I wasn't charged anything extra to go from 150 - 200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

dub45 wrote: »
    I wonder if UPC are falling into the "Intel" trap? I think they have been blinded by speed whereas surely the benefits of these speed increases will actually be lost for many customers.

To get the benefits of these type of speeds you need to be on ethernet and even then I am sure many pcs and laptops still have old ethernet cards.

I am sure many if not most people now are connecting by wifi. The wifi performance of the equipment being provided by UPC seems poor to judge by customers's reactions. While the Horizon box by definition will be placed in most cases in a location which is very poor for wifi prospects. (Under a tv in a corner?)

UPC wont even deign to engage with their customers on the issue of bridging which might solve a lot of practical problems for customers in the wifi area. (Better router, better positioning)

It is great to have speeds that we would never have dreamt of not so long ago but I fear UPC continue to ignore the real needs of most of their customers.

802.11n will do ~150Mb/s (or more with multi channel). 802.11ac will go close to gigabit speeds. 802.11ad is around the corner (over 6Gigabit wireless!)

I only use wifi for phones/iPad in my house (all at n speeds). All of my PC's have gigabit. Even my satellite box. I can't remember the last time I bought a machine with sub-gigabit speeds.

Something has to give first - if the bandwith isn't there people are less likely to come up with applications for it. I remember going from dialup to 3 megabit and thinking it was awesome. I used my inlaws 3 megabit recently and thought their computer was broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

stimpson wrote: »
    802.11n will do ~150Mb/s (or more with multi channel). 802.11ac will go close to gigabit speeds. 802.11ad is around the corner (over 6Gigabit wireless!)

I only use wifi for phones/iPad in my house (all at n speeds). All of my PC's have gigabit. Even my satellite box. I can't remember the last time I bought a machine with sub-gigabit speeds.

Something has to give first - if the bandwith isn't there people are less likely to come up with applications for it. I remember going from dialup to 3 megabit and thinking it was awesome. I used my inlaws 3 megabit recently and thought their computer was broken.

In a lab, in a faraday cage with only one device connected. Don't believe the hype, the achievable speeds in home surrounding is much less than this, often much less than half. None of this gets over the fact that wireless is half duplex, you use the same medium to transmit and receive therefore you can do one or the other, not both like a cable. Also, to have a wireless "AC" network every single device needs to be "AC" or it falls back to "N" or "G"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im currently on 50MB, home phone and digital tv for 78euro a month. Can i request an upgrade without any extra cost or does the cost go up too? Basically Im looking to see what upgrades Im entitled to as a long term customer. Ringing the customer care line is a nightmare, anyone have any answers in simple english?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

dub45 wrote: »

There's always one.:) Seems to be at odds with your comments here Dub45:

"http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056426633
    There is no such thing as Eircom Wireless bb. As pointed out above Eircom supply you with bb with which appears to be working fine. It is your decision as to whether or not you use a wireless network. Its the same situation with all the dsl isps.

There are any number of reasons why users have problems with wireless and one basic one is the ever increasing number of wireless networks in existence."

So it's not confined to just UPC then?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

galait wrote: »

Yes it looks interesting and potentially fantastic value for money.

However it is a brand new product, that no one has reported signing up to yet. So it remains to be seen the quality of the product and if there is any gotchas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

ok upgraded from 50mbs to 120mbs but cant get speeds any faster then 50mbs, I have tp link 500mbs home plugs will this cause any problems for me? technician calling out thursday

smee again wrote: »
    In a lab, in a faraday cage with only one device connected. Don't believe the hype, the achievable speeds in home surrounding is much less than this, often much less than half. None of this gets over the fact that wireless is half duplex, you use the same medium to transmit and receive therefore you can do one or the other, not both like a cable. Also, to have a wireless "AC" network every single device needs to be "AC" or it falls back to "N" or "G"

I can get within 80% of my n speeds at home.

And ac operstes on 5GHz exclusively so it's only a problem with n which can operate on either (or both) as g is exclusively 2.4 GHz. When you have ac and n devices on the same network they don't drop back to n speeds. When they are used simultaneously they are sharing time on the radio. The ac device will still shift bits at ac speed, but the n device will hog the radio for longer when transferring the same amount of data, restricting the time available for the ac device. When the ac device is used exclusively it works at full speed.

stimpson wrote: »
    I can get within 80% of my n speeds at home.

To a single device with a good signal, add another device in the next room streaming a YT vid at the same time and see how it gets on. You are right though, wireless should be just for mobility, but UPC should be making customers aware of this. Most have no idea and will hide their Horizon router in a press and then get no use of this extra speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JayBrah

I dont know what the craic is with upc, Im suppose to be on 100 mb/s yet i barely get over 15 mb/s??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭circadian

The wireless routers bundled with UPC are horrendous. You'll be lucky to get over 50mbs on any device (I've tried many).

Wired however, it'll usually blow your face off.

circadian wrote: »
    The wireless routers bundled with UPC are horrendous. You'll be lucky to get over 50mbs on any device (I've tried many).

Wired however, it'll usually blow your face off.

can u buy ur own routers and hook them up to the box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

JayBrah wrote: »
    I dont know what the craic is with upc, Im suppose to be on 100 mb/s yet i barely get over 15 mb/s??

Did you try a direct wired connection to the modem? It could be a poor wireless connection causing the problem.

Additionally some people confuse megabits and megabytes. 100mb will get you a 12.5MB downstream.

zarquon wrote: »
    Did you try a direct wired connection to the modem? It could be a poor wireless connection causing the problem.

Additionally some people confuse megabits and megabytes. 100mb will get you a 12.5MB downstream.

ah, that could be the problem. thanks

• Advertisement

JayBrah wrote: »

Sounds like you're mixing up megabit and megabytes per second. 100 megabit will give a download speed of about 12.5 MB/s

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Just got off the phone to upc to ask about getting free upgrade from 50 to 100 and they knew nothing about this offer????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Just got off the phone to upc to ask about getting free upgrade from 50 to 100 and they knew nothing about this offer????

Where did you get that from? They're not even selling 50mb 100mb speed anymore like.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Where did you get that from? They're not even selling 50mb speed anymore like.

What??

Agueroooo wrote: »

Call them and tell them you noticed that the 50mb service they provided has now been replaced by a 120mb service on their website and ask them can you be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dluby

I was paying for broadband (100mb) and phone. So I called UPC today and they changed me to the 120mb. Since the upgrade I now get worse speeds (using a wired connection). I was getting an average of 100mb but now I am getting as low as 35mb, also the ping has gone from 9-10ms to 15ms.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I tried calling UPC but their automated message is saying they are very busy and it's not allowing me to go on-hold.

dluby wrote: »
    I was paying for broadband (100mb) and phone. So I called UPC today and they changed me to the 120mb. Since the upgrade I now get worse speeds (using a wired connection). I was getting an average of 100mb but now I am getting as low as 35mb!

Is anyone else experiencing this? I tried calling UPC but their automated message is saying they are very busy and it's not allowing me to go on-hold.

Yep. Just off the phone to tech support. They were able to fix my ping issues (up to 245ms) but my speed maxed out between 160-170. They're sending an engineer out Wednesday. I was on 150 and it was rock solid. I see a new modem in my future...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Im on the 150mg. Is it possible to change/apply for the 200 online or do you have to call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Fair depressing seeing this, 3 mbps for ever :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

GEO147 wrote: »
    Im on the 150mg. Is it possible to change/apply for the 200 online or do you have to call?

I had to ring them... the online site was trying to charge me 45 euro for the connection fee... mind you, spent nearly 40 min on the phone sorting it all out, but i "seem" to be upgraded...

Advertisement