Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC have upgraded their speeds again! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The new Ireland.

I moved from one urban area in Dublin with 100mb UPC internet to another urban area in Dublin where the best on offer is 3mb DSL.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

has anyone with 50meg whp upgraded to 120meg had any problems??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

lotas wrote: »
    I had to ring them... the online site was trying to charge me 45 euro for the connection fee... mind you, spent nearly 40 min on the phone sorting it all out, but i "seem" to be upgraded...

Also, do they make you sign up for another 12 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

lotas wrote: »
    I had to ring them... the online site was trying to charge me 45 euro for the connection fee... mind you, spent nearly 40 min on the phone sorting it all out, but i "seem" to be upgraded...

Any issues with latency or any other funnies. Also are you using the Thomson modem to get this ? I quite like it and would hate to change to another router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Will the EPC3925 handle 120?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Feel like vommiting.

In my apartment I'm on 24mbps ADSL with MAgnet, paiyng €67 a month.

If I was still in my parents, I'd be on 200mb, for cheaper.

Such a big factor for when I next move, I simply won't go anywhere that doesn't have UPC. Donabate is pretty much Somalia when it comes to internet

TheDoc wrote: »
    Feel like vommiting.

In my apartment I'm on 24mbps ADSL with MAgnet, paiyng €67 a month.

If I was still in my parents, I'd be on 200mb, for cheaper.

Such a big factor for when I next move, I simply won't go anywhere that doesn't have UPC. Donabate is pretty much Somalia when it comes to internet

Isn't it amazing to think that good fast Broadband availability has become one of the major factors when considering where to reside? I know it would be one of the first things on my list too if I were ever moving.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

It's nice to get the 200mb but what about the upload speed increase?

Called up sales this morning (new 12 month contract) and rebooted the modem:
    2n6grrc.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

ondafly wrote: »
    Any issues with latency or any other funnies. Also are you using the Thomson modem to get this ? I quite like it and would hate to change to another router.

I got bumped yesterday with my Thompson. I did have latency issues and speed dropped back to 120, but a call to Tech Support sorted that out. Speeds topped out at 160-170, though tech support said the line should be capable of over 200. They are sending an engineer out tomorrow, so we'll see soon. 170 just feels so sloooooow :)

FFS, I just rang sales and they said they nothing about the free upgrade. The staff member went and got a supervisor and they said they no nothing about it either. Excellent inter office communication, Not!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

FFS, I just rang sales and they said they nothing about the free upgrade. The staff member went and got a supervisor and they said they no nothing about it either. Excellent inter office communication, Not!!!!

I rang tech support. Told them that I noticed they had upgraded the speeds on their website and wondered could I get my connection upgraded to those speeds. They said sure and it was all sorted in a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Isn't it amazing to think that good fast Broadband availability has become one of the major factors when considering where to reside? I know it would be one of the first things on my list too if I were ever moving.

Something I factored in. Unfortunately internet products, there is still lack of knowledge among the general public. LAndlord advised me the house could get UPC broadband, however it turned out could only get UPC TV.

A major factor indeed. I was one of the first in the country with internet, then broadband, and have been on the cutting edge of the top speeds ever since. To step backwards is difficult to handle at times.

It's such a major factor for me now in terms of choosing residency. Some people think I'm sad, but when you consider that one of my main past times is playing online games, I have the benefit of working from home alot, having a fast connection is a must for me.

The plus side of today's UPC announcement, besides making me feel epicly inadequate, is that my current ISP was more then helpful and understanding of my annoyance at how I pay €60+ a month for a 24mbps line ( which I advised I got from NTL in 2003), they re-negotiated my contract and I now pay a lower fee, that is less of a kick in the bollox.

Still appears though that E-Fibre while completed in Donabate, will not be available in my area ( I'm in the town centre) and that UPC have no plans to rollout into the Donabate area.

Le sigh

3wayswitch wrote: »
    I rang tech support. Told them that I noticed they had upgraded the speeds on their website and wondered could I get my connection upgraded to those speeds. They said sure and it was all sorted in a few minutes.

Is it hit and miss as to the call center you get connected to when you phone sales? Both staff members I spoke with had very strong Cork accents. I wonder if I called again would I get a different response?

Is it hit and miss as to the call center you get connected to when you phone sales? Both staff members I spoke with had very strong Cork accents. I wonder if I called again would I get a different response?

As far as I know the majority if not all of their support is in cork? Guy who sorted my upgrade to 200mb was in cork in the sales dept and did the upgrade in about 20 seconds.

As far as I know the majority if not all of their support is in cork? Guy who sorted my upgrade to 200mb was in cork in the sales dept and did the upgrade in about 20 seconds.

Jesus it's poor form when a staff member is not aware of it but ridiculous when a supervisor is a mushroom too :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

I'd skip the sales dept altogether and just talk to tech support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

3wayswitch wrote: »

did you have to sign up for an additional 12 months, i just called and they wont upgrade without signing you up for 12 more months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

did you have to sign up for an additional 12 months, i just called and they wont upgrade without signing you up for 12 more months

Yeah, it's a new 12 month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

thought so...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

GEO147 wrote: »
    Im on the 150mg. Is it possible to change/apply for the 200 online or do you have to call?

PM UPC: Reps, had it done in a few mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zEmo23

Hi, i just called tech support and the girl told me that the package I pay for is not included in the speed upgrades, anyone experienced this?

zEmo23 wrote: »
    Hi, i just called tech support and the girl told me that the package I pay for is not included in the speed upgrades, anyone experienced this?

What package are you on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Got a card in the door yesterday about them doing work in the area. Do they need to replace the cables for this speed boost? The road is already on fibre so I have no idea why they would have to replace them. Maybe there's a fault.

Also, anyone on 60? What do we get upgraded to? I'm assuming from what I've read that there is only going to be two speeds now, 120 and 200?
    Gonna send them a PM on facebook and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zEmo23

What package are you on?

Broadband + phone. 50MB for 50eur...

maximoose wrote: »
    PM UPC: Reps, had it done in a few mins.

Can you link to the UPC Reps section please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Have an EPC2425. They want €45 for a new modem and to move me to a more expensive horizon bundle from my current package in order to upgrade me from my current 30MB line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Wait... do you have to be on the horizon package to get the speed increase? I'm on the 60Mb broadband, Max Digital TV and Anytime world package.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

zarquon wrote: »
    Have an EPC2425. They want €45 for a new modem and to move me to a more expensive horizon bundle from my current package in order to upgrade me from my current 30MB line.

The EPC2425 is a EuroDocsis 2.0 modem and is therefore not capable of any speeds greater then 30mb/s.

You need a more modern EuroDocsis 3.0 modem to get these faster speeds. So I think it is fair enough for them to charge €45 for a new modem. In fact such a modem probably costs UPC more then €45.

However I don't believe you need to get the Horizon service to get the faster speeds, if you aren't interested in Horizon then there are a variety of non horizon packages. You can probably even stay on your existing package and just pay the €45 to get the new modem and faster speeds. Just be firm with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

zarquon wrote: »
    I would have thought that you would be entitled to the free upgrade to 50Mbps once you are prepared to renew your existing contract. I know that they are no longer offering 50Mbps but you would have been entitled to it & a new modem that was capable of 50 Mbps up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

no you do not need to be an horizon customer, they tried telling me that on the phone and I said look I am a broadband and phone only customer and I would like to be upgraded from 50 to 120. they said oh sorry yes you can upgrade but in order to keep you phone free minutes package you need to pay an extra €2 as that was not part of the new broadband bundles. So I am now paying €49 instead of €47 a month for 120mb broadband and 300 free minutes to any landline, international or mobile.

Advertisement