Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC have upgraded their speeds again! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

no you do not need to be an horizon customer, they tried telling me that on the phone and I said look I am a broadband and phone only customer and I would like to be upgraded from 50 to 120. they said oh sorry yes you can upgrade but in order to keep you phone free minutes package you need to pay an extra €2 as that was not part of the new broadband bundles. So I am now paying €49 instead of €47 a month for 120mb broadband and 300 free minutes to any landline, international or mobile.

Just reading a post from someone else on the UPC forum. Looks like I wont be able to get the upgrade. While broadband and phone customers will be getting the increase, those of us who do not want to move over to Horizon but still want to get our TV from UPC will not. I'm sorry but it's not worth it. If I was to move over to Horizon, I would face an 8 euro increase per month, a new 12 month contract, a 45 euro charge for the box and another 45 euro charge to get my box 'deconsolidated'. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

zEmo23 wrote: »
    Hi, i just called tech support and the girl told me that the package I pay for is not included in the speed upgrades, anyone experienced this?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

bk wrote: »
    The EPC2425 is a EuroDocsis 2.0 modem and is therefore not capable of any speeds greater then 30mb/s.

You need a more modern EuroDocsis 3.0 modem to get these faster speeds. So I think it is fair enough for them to charge €45 for a new modem. In fact such a modem probably costs UPC more then €45.

However I don't believe you need to get the Horizon service to get the faster speeds, if you aren't interested in Horizon then there are a variety of non horizon packages. You can probably even stay on your existing package and just pay the €45 to get the new modem and faster speeds. Just be firm with them.

No, need to upgrade package and modem

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No, need to upgrade package and modem

I'd call again and ask to be put through to cancellation department and to threaten to cancel and move to Sky/Eircom if they don't upgrade you.

Very likely they will upgrade you.

Cancellation department always have more power and flexibility to deal with things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Got a card in the door yesterday about them doing work in the area. Do they need to replace the cables for this speed boost? The road is already on fibre so I have no idea why they would have to replace them.

UPC and Eircom have really confused the hell out of people with their use of the word fibre in their products :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

bk wrote: »
    I'd call again and ask to be put through to cancellation department and to threaten to cancel and move to Sky/Eircom if they don't upgrade you.

Very likely they will upgrade you.

Cancellation department always have more power and flexibility to deal with things like this.

Doesn't work. I tried that and was told that if i cancel i would be moving to an "inferior" competitor and would incur increased charges including reactivation should i wish to return. The sales person was not really interested in keeping my account with them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

zarquon wrote: »
    Doesn't work. I tried that and was told that if i cancel i would be moving to an "inferior" competitor and would incur increased charges including reactivation should i wish to return. The sales person was not really interested in keeping my account with them.

But did the sales person actually put you onto the cancellation department?

Of course it is the job of first level sales people to persuade you not to cancel.
    Be firm, ignore all the BS they are sprouting about inferior competitors and demand to be put through to cancellations.

If they claim their competitors are inferior, point out that you are going to Sky for TV and Vodafones 70/20mb product for €35 which is cheaper and faster then what you can currently get from UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I upgraded yesterday to 120meg but despite several reboots speed hasn't changed from 60-70. I'm assuming that it shouldn't take this long. Will give them a call when I get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

digitaldr wrote: »
    I upgraded yesterday to 120meg but despite several reboots speed hasn't changed from 60-70. I'm assuming that it shouldn't take this long. Will give them a call when I get a chance.

Are you testing over wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I contacted the UPC guy's via Boards and this was the response.
    The new speeds are available on our Horizon bundles or on our Broadband and Phone only bundles.

In order to avail of these you would need to be on the Horizon bundles with a Horizon box.

With this link you can upgrade to these bundles and equipment http://www.upc.ie/deals/tvbroadbandphone/ and this is available in your area.

Any activation fees would apply and any current discounts you may be receiving will be stopped if the subscription is changed.

I'm still a tad confused by one poster this morning who got the jupm from 50 to 120 for 2 bucks extra yet these guy's claim you have to either on the phone & BB only or move to the Horizon :confused: It seems as if it available depending on who you are as opposed to anything else.

I remember my last upgrade to 50 was free if I signed a new 12 month contract but it also gave me unlimited. Is unlimited in any way effected by the new upgrade I wonder?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

UPC are all over the place with their responses when asked. Example of my experince :

last night:
    We have not heard of these new speeds, and I have consulted my supervisor

today (Sale Dept):
    You can upgrade to our new 120mb for an extra €2 per month

today (Tech support):
    You can upgrade to 120mb but it will cost you an extra €5 per month

It seems anyone that is currently on 50mb are in some sort of special category.

Real world speed test (200mb)

Not Bad :D

4vmxsg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Agueroooo wrote: »

It seems anyone that is currently on 50mb are in some sort of special category.

I think they were offering 50mb over coax in areas where they hadn't laid fibre yet. I assume this could be a limit for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

stimpson wrote: »
    I think they were offering 50mb over coax in areas where they hadn't laid fibre yet. I assume this could be a limit for some people.

I had a speed limit of 30Mb until last month. Phone was not offered and only digital TV was available, not HD, Horizon, on-demand etc. Since the upgrade, they now offer the full services in my area i.e Horizon, 200Mb BB, phone etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The UPC website is looking for a once off activation fee of €45, is this in all cases or if done over the phone is this waived for existing customers with a docsis 3.0 modem?

Myrddin wrote: »
    The UPC website is looking for a once off activation fee of €45, is this in all cases or if done over the phone is this waived for existing customers with a docsis 3.0 modem?

Correct, it's waived over the phone for customers with docsis 3 modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

ok so just off the phone with UPC - I currently have the Thomson modem, with the silver UPC cable box and phone service. My broadband is 150meg - according to the chap on the phone, I have to 45euros and accept the new horizon box, but I can continue to use my Thomson modem.

This is all very confusing folks - I really don't want to change any of my current infrastructure - literally just want the speed upgrade, and have no issue with a 12 month extension to the contract. Having said all that, my bill would reduce by 1 euro monthly from 81 to 80

The speed increases are all but redundant for most customers and offer very little real world significance. A boost in upload speed would have been much more useful to many I think.
    UPC's real goal is to tie you into new 12 month contracts and also to push users over to using the horizon box which is by all accounts an underwhelming experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

ED E wrote: »
    Are you testing over wifi?

Nope - gigabit wired

Activation waived, processed and reprovisioned in under 10 minutes. 32Mb to 50(52)Mb. Same bill of 66/mo inc tv and phone.

Im a heavy user myself, but the other 3 in the house arent. Really dont need 120/150, though the up would be nice the odd time.

9FpaGaI.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

im currently on 50Mbs. i turned my modem off and back on an i see no speed increase on speedtest.net...what should i do?

stimpson wrote: »
    ADSLUSER wrote: »
    I had a speed limit of 30Mb until last month. Phone was not offered and only digital TV was available, not HD, Horizon, on-demand etc. Since the upgrade, they now offer the full services in my area i.e Horizon, 200Mb BB, phone etc.

nope.

I can get all services (phone, hd etc) so no excuse for the lack of co-ordination and mixed responses.

My 12months is up in Jan so will hold out til then. besides I was looking to remove some packages so will re-jig my account then, and see if I can bargain a bit.

The speed increases are all but redundant for most customers and offer very little real world significance. A boost in upload speed would have been much more useful to many I think.

**mini hijack**

can you explain how an upload increase will help?

Does it help when streaming HD content from the internet etc?

Agueroooo wrote: »
    **mini hijack**

can you explain how an upload increase will help?

Does it help when streaming HD content from the internet etc?

Nope, it means more upstream speed for the likes of Skype Video, streaming TO twitch etc, syncing stuff to dropbox etc. Sending files generally. Uploading pics to FB :P Anything "sending".

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

GEO147 wrote: »
    Im on the 150mg. Is it possible to change/apply for the 200 online or do you have to call?

OK. Just got upgraded from 150to 200 over the phone. It cost me an extra €5 a month though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/87028291
    Originally posted by UPC: Brian
    Hi Folks,

I know this is outside normal opening hours here but we just wanted to give some key points based on feedback so far....

The triple-play (broadband, TV, phone) bundles with the new speeds includes the Horizon TV service. Therefore to receive the new speeds via a triple-play bundle you need to receive the Horizon TV service.

If you want to upgrade your speeds, but don’t want to upgrade your TV service to Horizon, you can do so via a Broadband and Telephone bundle ( http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/ ). In this instance you would pay the list price for the TV service however, as well as the bundle price for TV and broadband.

If you don't have our TV service you can also upgrade your speeds via a Broadband and Telephone bundle (or by upgrading the broadband speed only if this is your only product).

Loyalty discounts are carried over when customers opt to change their bundle offers and / or if you are a new customer receiving the Horizon service for €50 per month for the first 6 months this price will carry over to your new bundle.

Thanks.

Might be some help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

GEO147 wrote: »
    OK. Just got upgraded from 150to 200 over the phone. It cost me an extra €5 a month though.
    What were you on before? As far as I can see the old 150 package costs the same as the new 200 package, i.e. €52 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Alun wrote: »
    What were you on before? As far as I can see the old 150 package costs the same as the new 200 package, i.e. €52 pm.

http://siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/34501-upc-ups-the-standard-with/
    Yeah and that article would seem to confirm. My package before was 150mb with Phone and analog TV.???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

MarkY91 wrote: »
    im currently on 50Mbs. i turned my modem off and back on an i see no speed increase on speedtest.net...what should i do?

Same here - I'm not at all tech savy tho so maybe someone will post something helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its not an automatic upgrade. You need to call & change you package ,which involves entering into a new contract.

Advertisement