Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC have upgraded their speeds again! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

KoolKid wrote: »
    Its not an automatic upgrade. You need to call & change you package ,which involves entering into a new contract.

I did that, spoke to someone in sales, said I wanted to upgrade my speed and she said to wait about half an hour or so and reboot my modem - not sure what speeds I should realistically expect on wireless - I'll get someone to check properly at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Mech1

200mb turned out to be slower than the 150, engineer coming Monday:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Realtine wrote: »
    I did that, spoke to someone in sales, said I wanted to upgrade my speed and she said to wait about half an hour or so and reboot my modem - not sure what speeds I should realistically expect on wireless - I'll get someone to check properly at the weekend.

You would need to be testing it on a good wired connection. With a GB connection on your network card as well. Also ideally with a good quality network cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Does any of the UPC required package changes so as to qualify for the speed upgrade effect the unlimited status given during the last upgrade offer?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭OU812

Mech1 wrote: »
    200mb turned out to be slower than the 150, engineer coming Monday:(

Same problem. They tweaked the router remotely but I was getting better speeds before :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

so im going to get them to upgrade mt tomorrow. ill be going from 50mb to 100mb. will this lower my ping on speedtest.net? im a big gamer ans 40ms ping is just stupid. i used to get 14 on eircom

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Does any of the UPC required package changes so as to qualify for the speed upgrade effect the unlimited status given during the last upgrade offer?

It states "unlimited usage allowance" on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MarkY91 wrote: »
    so im going to get them to upgrade mt tomorrow. ill be going from 50mb to 100mb. will this lower my ping on speedtest.net? im a big gamer ans 40ms ping is just stupid. i used to get 14 on eircom

There's no real world difference between the two, and thats just to the location of the test server. Eircom and Vodafones test servers are right at the BRAS's I suspect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

ED E wrote: »
    There's no real world difference between the two, and thats just to the location of the test server. Eircom and Vodafones test servers are right at the BRAS's I suspect.

What's a "BRAS's"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What's a "BRAS's"?

The point that joins eircoms network to the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Upgraded to the new Horizon package, upgrade from 100mbps to 200mbps and my monthly bill is going down by €3 per month

Still on my old modem (get the new yoke tomorrow) but already getting:

3035928766.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

unkel wrote: »
    Upgraded to the new Horizon package, upgrade from 100mbps to 200mbps and my monthly bill is going down by €3 per month

Still on my old modem (get the new yoke tomorrow) but already getting:

3035928766.png

UPC were looking for €45 a while back for new Horizon customers keeping another modem. Did this apply to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Morf wrote: »
    UPC were looking for €45 a while back for new Horizon customers keeping another modem. Did this apply to you?

Yes I will be paying the €45. I've never paid a cent for any hardware / installation charge from UPC before, but this time they were more insistent and I didn't really feel like putting the foot in, so I caved in.

In fairness, I was on a heavily discounted package (all sorts of customer loyalty discounts I bargained for) and they were all coming to an end before the end of this year. Without the discounts my bill would be about €97. Going forward it will be €80, which I am very happy to pay for the service I'll be getting.

unkel wrote: »
    Yes I will be paying the €45. I've never paid a cent for any hardware / installation charge from UPC before, but this time they were more insistent and I didn't really feel like putting the foot in, so I caved in.

In fairness, I was on a heavily discounted package (all sorts of customer loyalty discounts I bargained for) and they were all coming to an end before the end of this year. Without the discounts my bill would be about €97. Going forward it will be €80, which I am very happy to pay for the service I'll be getting.

I see.

I got a worse deal than the previous 12 months with a BB upgrade/new modem. The standing charge was slightly less but I had to lose HD.

The girl who was pleasant and helpful but she had a list of things to offer me and wouldn't go beyond that. She did lie to me about the €45 charge for the modem that she was claiming to waive.

Anyway I wouldn't be prepared to enter a Horizon deal and lose any discounts negotiated on the bundle.

im currently on 50mb..do i just ring up for this free upgrade and thats it? i have the epc3925 modem

im currently on 50mb..do i just ring up for this free upgrade and thats it? i have the epc3925 modem

No. Read THIS

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

No. Read THIS

so if i want this FREE upgrade, i have to purchase their horizon box and services?

were currently on tv, broadband and phone bundle. would an upgrade to horizon be free? i dont get it..i just want my free 100mb upgrade :(

so if i want this FREE upgrade, i have to purchase their horizon box and services?

were currently on tv, broadband and phone bundle. would an upgrade to horizon be free? i dont get it..i just want my free 100mb upgrade :(

You'd have to get a phone and broadband bundle and buy your TV separate.

Your bundle discounts would be void and it'll likely cost a fair bit more.

The policies might become a bit less strict in a few months as it usually is with these UPC launches.

Morf wrote: »
    You'd have to get a phone and broadband bundle and buy your TV separate.

Your bundle discounts would be void and it'll likely cost a fair bit more.

The policies might become a bit less strict in a few months as it usually is with these UPC launches.

so the free upgrade is a load of ****e for 50mb customers then

Depends really. For me it isn't appealing at the moment but things might change.

The previous speed upgrades were €45 for a new modem where as some months later it was free with a new 12 month contract.

Best to wait it out if it doesn't suit now.

• Advertisement

Now you have it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Yes, UPC changed the meaning of the term 'free upgrade' last May during their Summer Treats marketing campaign to mean 'free upgrade with strings attached'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Upgraded from 50Mb to 120Mb yesterday afternoon about 4pm or so. Still no change in speeds on a speedtest, just got 59Mb on the UPC speedtest. Have rebooted the router several times too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Asked for the upgrade on Monday night, and tested on Tuesday, and was getting a pretty constant 160Mbits/s... did some tweaks to my router this morning, and got the following:

cRmuArT.png

WAN1 and WAN2 are both UPC 200Mbits/s connections. WAN3 is a Magnet FatPipe... The router, at each test, was told to send all traffic to the Eircom Speed Test server (pingtest.eircom.net) over one of the given links (usually, its set to do a load balance over the 3 links). Anyway, WAN1 and WAN2 seems to be getting the full 200Mbits/s, whereas WAN3 is only getting 50ish... which is odd, given it was giving me 70+ before...

Also, of note, speedtest.upc.ie is maxing out at about 160Mbits/s... Again, i told the router to do the magic mentioned above...

Now to try get something to download at a full 450Mbit/s... :)

PS: Router is a MikroTik RouterBoard RB1100.

EDIT: due to the way the router is configured, the first time i hit the site, it told me i was using Magnet...

Myrddin wrote: »
    Upgraded from 50Mb to 120Mb yesterday afternoon about 4pm or so. Still no change in speeds on a speedtest, just got 59Mb on the UPC speedtest. Have rebooted the router several times too

It took mine a few hours to show up correctly, and i also tried using the Speedtest.net site, not UPCs one... Seems to be giving a better reading for me... try a few different servers and see which one works best...

lotas wrote: »
    It took mine a few hours to show up correctly, and i also tried using the Speedtest.net site, not UPCs one... Seems to be giving a better reading for me... try a few different servers and see which one works best...

Yep used speedtest.net too, slightly higher readings but nothing higher than around 65Mb. Unless at that, I'm getting my 'upgraded' speed?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Yep used speedtest.net too, slightly higher readings but nothing higher than around 65Mb. Unless at that, I'm getting my 'upgraded' speed?

I dont know man... mine magically fixed itself after 24 hours... i did get 2 missed calls from UPC shortly after the upgrade, but have not heard anything back... might be a delay in their system... their tech support line is well and truly f**ked with the amount of questions... was on the phone for nearly 30 min just waiting!

lotas wrote: »
    I dont know man... mine magically fixed itself after 24 hours... i did get 2 missed calls from UPC shortly after the upgrade, but have not heard anything back... might be a delay in their system... their tech support line is well and truly f**ked with the amount of questions... was on the phone for nearly 30 min just waiting!

It hasn't been a full 24 hours yet, so I'll give it another while before ringing them, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

In case anyone else is in my situation, I have the router/modem upstairs beside the PC and then the main TV box is in the living room and an add-on box in one of the bed rooms.

If you want the new speeds when you have the triple bundle, in this case I need the router separate from the main TV box in the living room and to do this UPC are charging €45 euro to keep the router separated from the new Horizon box.

Looks like I wont be getting the speed upgrade or changing to Horizon, ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Ziycon wrote: »

If you want the new speeds when you have the triple bundle, in this case I need the router separate from the main TV box in the living room and to do this UPC are charging €45 euro to keep the router separated from the new Horizon box.

Looks like I wont be getting the speed upgrade or changing to Horizon, ever!

We signed up for horizon, complained for a week or two about the absolutely abysmal wifi signal and had a new point installed with separate router for no charge, few others have had success too.

Advertisement