Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC have upgraded their speeds again! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Ziycon wrote: »
    In case anyone else is in my situation, I have the router/modem upstairs beside the PC and then the main TV box is in the living room and an add-on box in one of the bed rooms.

If you want the new speeds when you have the triple bundle, in this case I need the router separate from the main TV box in the living room and to do this UPC are charging €45 euro to keep the router separated from the new Horizon box.

Looks like I wont be getting the speed upgrade or changing to Horizon, ever!

In the same boat as yourself. Until they get rid of that 'deconsolidation' charge, I will be on the same package I've been on for a while now. There's nothing on Horizon that I'm willing to pay €90 for (45 for the new box and 45 charge) upfront and also be charged 8 euro extra per month on what I'm already paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭kalych

Morf wrote: »
    You'd have to get a phone and broadband bundle and buy your TV separate.

Your bundle discounts would be void and it'll likely cost a fair bit more.

The policies might become a bit less strict in a few months as it usually is with these UPC launches.

Just to share my experience in relation to this.
    Was out of contract for a while still on TV+30Mb BB+anywhere 150 phone for 66 EUR. Rang to upgrade to Power Fibre 120Mb + Phone offer for 44 EUR and cancel the TV.

The first "customer care" guy just offered Horizon Essential Limited with a 30 Gb download limit for the same price of 66 EUR. I said I wasn't interested.

He then passed me to "Customer Loyalty and Cancellations" - got an offer of the same TV package+ Freetime World (same phone service as Fibre Power 120) and 100 Mb BB for 58 EUR for 12 months with a new 12 month contract and the new "n" modem with the fee of 45 EUR waived.

Thus only 14 EUR for the same TV package and slightly slower speeds than 120 Mb and no download cap. This could be the solution to 50 Mb users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

lotas wrote: »
    Asked for the upgrade on Monday night, and tested on Tuesday, and was getting a pretty constant 160Mbits/s... did some tweaks to my router this morning, and got the following:

I really love how you've set all that up - and I think I'm at the stage where I need to get a Mikrotik also, to at least do decent QOS or bandwidth allocation
    Enternow wrote: »
    It hasn't been a full 24 hours yet, so I'll give it another while before ringing them, cheers

;) I'm in the same both - upgraded, ran a speedtest, and I'm getting 60-70 now, whereas earlier today I was getting 150. I should be getting 200, but I'll give it the 24 hours and see.
    Ziycon wrote: »
    In case anyone else is in my situation, I have the router/modem upstairs beside the PC and then the main TV box is in the living room and an add-on box in one of the bed rooms.

If you want the new speeds when you have the triple bundle, in this case I need the router separate from the main TV box in the living room and to do this UPC are charging €45 euro to keep the router separated from the new Horizon box.

Looks like I wont be getting the speed upgrade or changing to Horizon, ever!

Get put through to customer services - I have no problem paying the 45 euro for a new box (Horizon) but I explained that my PC is in another room with the modem, and that I didn't want to pay 45 euro to "decouple" the modem, as I already have it sitting infront of me. Girl agreed, and dropped the 45 euro charge for the decoupling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

ondafly wrote: »
    ;) I'm in the same both - upgraded, ran a speedtest, and I'm getting 60-70 now, whereas earlier today I was getting 150. I should be getting 200, but I'll give it the 24 hours and see.

My speeds are down to around 45-50, and I was on 150 before upgrading to 200. Has been like that the last 2 days. Will check again this evening, and ring if hasn't improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I just had a UPC engineer out to see why I can''t get 200mbps. Firstly, he didn't know that 200 was available (great start). Then his laptop only supports 100mbps.

He says the line should support 200 without issue and that the problem is with the firmware pushed to the modem. He said he's going to get them to drop me back to 150 until they have a working firmware.

Bollix anyway.

• Advertisement

@wes - do you have the Thompson modem by any chance?

stimpson wrote: »
    @wes - do you have the Thompson modem by any chance?

Yes, I have the Thompson modem. Will ask support, if I need a new modem, when I give them a ring later, if I am still seeing issues.

wes wrote: »
    Yes, I have the Thompson modem. Will ask support, if I need a new modem, when I give them a ring later, if I am still seeing issues.

OK - I'm on the Thompson too. I just rang tech support there and they said they had no other reports of issues with the Thompson! :)

stimpson wrote: »
    OK - I'm on the Thompson too. I just rang tech support there and they said they had no other reports of issues with the Thompson! :)

Will make sure to bring it up with them later this evening :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

I'm on the 50 Mbps package (not horizon) looking to upgrade to 120mbps but with 6 months left in a rented house, no way will I renew a contract! Damn UPC policy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Eamonn

Hi folks,

We have received multiple PM's from customers with requests to upgrade their speeds, and haven't had the chance to reply to all as yet.

As we will be offline on Boards until tomorrow afternoon I'd recommend customers who wish to upgrade do so via http://www.upc.ie/deals/tvbroadbandphone/ (triple play) or http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/ (TV and home phone), so you are not waiting any longer than necessary.

A note as well to any existing Horizon customers upgrading speeds via the website: The web order will show that an activation fee has been applied to your order, for a new Horizon box. This is an error on the order page which we are working to resolve. However, you can go ahead and complete the order, and the activation fee will not be applied to your account.

If you are not an existing Horizon customer, the activation fee will apply to receive the new box, as standard.

We are delighted with the level of interest in updating the speeds, and hope everyone enjoys the improved service

Eamonn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

So Eamonn, there's no way to upgrade the speeds without signing up for a new contract? I most likely will be staying in my rented house for another year when my contract runs out in March, but if I sign up now to the UPC upgrade, that will leave me with 6 months of no Tv/Broadband service from October 2014 till March 2015 as I will be out of contract..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

circadian wrote: »
    My 150 package was already clocking 180 so I doubt I'll notice any real increase.

I did, pulled in ~24MB/sec last night. It was amazing :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I was dropped back to the 1.5 firmware on the Thomson modem. I'm back getting 150meg since. Geo147 has a Thomson and has successfully received 200meg so it should be possible for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

I was dropped back to the 1.5 firmware on the Thomson modem. I'm back getting 150meg since. Geo147 has a Thomson and has successfully received 200meg so it should be possible for the rest of us.

Correct worked without issue. Also, my Thomson software version got updated in the process from 1.50 to 1.73.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

UPC respond to Eircom with new packages:

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/34532-upc-introduces-new-basic/

Not on the site yet, but here are the details.

€60 - 50mb unlimited bb, 50 digital TV channels, phone
    €30 - 50mb unlimited bb, phone

I'm mega impressed, excellent, speedy response from UPC.

The €30 bb + phone product is in particular excellent value for money and fixes one of the three problems UPC had.

- No good cheap entry level bb product - now fixed
    - Mid and high level bb products need to be faster then Eircom, now fixed with the 120mb and 200mb products.
    - Upload speeds slower then Eircom, this is the only issue UPC still face.

Great work UPC.

Edit: Though I have forgotten one issue UPC face. I think they need to launch their own mobile operator (as a MVNO), so that they can offer quad play packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bk wrote: »

The €30 bb + phone product is in particular excellent value for money and fixes one of the three problems UPC had.

- Mid and high level bb products need to be faster then Eircom, now fixed with the 120mb and 200mb products.

Great work UPC.

Edit: Though I have forgotten one issue UPC face. I think they need to launch their own mobile operator (as a MVNO), so that they can offer quad play packages.

That's all pretty much true bk, but there's two other things you should add to the "UPC still need to do" list and that's

Stop penalizing existing loyal customers who want to avail of the higher speeds by trying to force them to take Horizon & cease striping loyal existing customers of their discounts achieved so far in order to avail of the new speeds.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I read in the paper yesterday that they are looking into mobile - last paragraph of this article:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/upc-upgrade-to-double-speed-of-broadband-29657254.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Great work UPC.

Phoned and not available yet

Phoned again and put through to loyalty ,

50Mb Unlimited with Phone Unlimited after 7 PM for €27 !! ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭emy

galait wrote: »
    Phoned again and put through to loyalty ,

50Mb Unlimited with Phone Unlimited after 7 PM for €27 !! ,

Where did you got this? On their website is nothing!
    I am still on 30mb/phone €42 monthly, (cisco epc2425). I got a message from UPC stating that from 1 of October the price will go up with additional €2.....they working very hard to keep the price down but.............

emy wrote: »
    Where did you got this? On their website is nothing!
    I am still on 30mb/ €42 monthly, (cisco epc2425). I got a message from UPC stating that from 1 of October the price will go up with additional €2.....they working very hard to keep the price down but.............

Got it via phone call to Customer Service who were unaware of New Plans and put me through to Loyalty Department who put me on this deal and its not for a limited time but required new 12 Month Contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Got it via phone call to Customer Service who were unaware of New Plans and put me through to Loyalty Department who put me on this deal and its not for a limited time but required new 12 Month Contract

I just spoke them and I was told that the package is only for NEW customers, not for me.....Loyalty Department does not exist said, so I have to stay 30mb 44€/month.
    I might have to close my account to become new customer....strange

emy wrote: »
    I just spoke them and I was told that the package is only for NEW customers, not for me.....Loyalty Department does not exist said, so I have to stay 30mb 44€/month.
    I might have to close my account to become new customer....strange

We are not new customers , They are an arrogant bunch in UPC and mostly very rude and not up to date with these new offers

I was on to Tech Support again today - they're saying it's a known issue and they are looking into it, no ETA for a fix, won't drop me back to 150 mbps, won't replace my modem with a Cisco, promised to get a manager to ring me later (just like they promised yesterday).

I'm starting to get annoyed.

We are not new customers , They are an arrogant bunch in UPC and mostly very rude and not up to date with these new offers

You are right. I am with them since 2009 and this Lady I just spoke was very rude. I just cut off the phone and sent an email, I might get better result.
    If not I will cancel it and become new customer with the sew package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Best thing to do is to wait a month or two till all issue have been ironed out, there is always going to be issues with the initial launch of new packages and I could put money on it that there are a fair few people jumping on the "I want 200mb" bandwagon when they have neglected to check if there PCs/Laptops support more the 100mb connections.

Personally I would love the new speeds but as I know I'll need broadband for many years to come I can wait a couple months to see how other suppliers respond, I feel a price war is about to erupt! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Changed at noon from 50mg/Anytime package to 120mg/5hrs to any phone inc. mobiles a month and it's a fiver cheaper, as soon as this was done everything went dead.
    Engineer was passing and called in, when they were upgrading they put in a wrong boot file (his words), all up and going again so no complaints.

3039174084.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 JohnofDublin

I'm on 50MB with phone package for a few months now and total is €47 per month. I called this morning and they said for me to avail of the 120MB upgrade would be an extra €2 per month. Sounds tempting. Have others hears of similar offer?

I must check my broadband speed though first, I'm not sure if I'm really getting 50MB/sec, we get a lot of dropouts too for up to a minute or two.

Advertisement