Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC have upgraded their speeds again! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I see there is an issue reported here with 200meg

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/87057505

I'm getting 50mb roughly from my 200meg connection, its varies quite alot on the tests. 1 hour previously I was on my old rock solid 150meg connection. Regretting the change already, as I wasn't aware the Horizon remote control was bluetooth, and that doesn't fit in with my Logitech Harmony 1 remote :( small world problems and all that though !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

GEO147 wrote: »
    Correct worked without issue. Also, my Thomson software version got updated in the process from 1.50 to 1.73.

interesting.. as 1.73 was the version that caused a lot of issues when introduced in Netherlands.. they got 1.74 to fix the speed issues.
    1.71 or 1.74 were ok for the 200MB speed.

interesting.. as 1.73 was the version that caused a lot of issues when introduced in Netherlands.. they got 1.74 to fix the speed issues.
    1.71 or 1.74 were ok for the 200MB speed.

Yup - I'm on 1.73

Software Version STBA.01.73

I previously was on it, last year sometime, and I found it much improved over 1.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,311 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How long is it taking for the new speeds to take effect?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Still having issues since upgrading to 200meg it hasn't got above 90 meg

3039713709.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Mech1

They sorted mine somehow today, I was only getting 70/80 since the upgrade from 150 to 200.

I had complained and a tech was due to call this Mon coming.

Speedtested it tonight and its working, download anyway, so cancelled the callout.

software or firmware whatever says STBA.01.73

3039983005.png

Well since the supposed upgrade I'm getting continual disconnects this evening not to mention lack of speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Mech1 wrote: »
    They sorted mine somehow today, I was only getting 70/80 since the upgrade from 150 to 200.

I had complained and a tech was due to call this Mon coming.

Speedtested it tonight and its working, download anyway, so cancelled the callout.

software or firmware whatever says STBA.01.73

3039983005.png

I wouldn't be satisfied with that upload speed. Arguably more important to have your full 10 up rather than full 200 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

ondafly wrote: »
    Well since the supposed upgrade I'm getting continual disconnects this evening not to mention lack of speed

Yep - I got lots of WiFi drop-offs last night. I'll be on to them again today.

stimpson wrote: »
    Yep - I got lots of WiFi drop-offs last night. I'll be on to them again today.

Do you have a Thomson modem and did you get software bump to STBA.01.73?

poor speeds and WIFI dropouts sounds just like the reports on Chelloo.com when UPC NL introduced 1.73 (only than the roll back to 1.71 or bump to 1.74.) in particular if is is experienced by number of upgraded customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

poor speeds and WIFI dropouts sounds just like the reports on Chelloo.com when UPC NL introduced 1.73 (only than the roll back to 1.71 or bump to 1.74.) in particular if is is experienced by number of upgraded customers.

Yep - Thompson on 1.73.

stimpson wrote: »
    Yep - Thompson on 1.73.

Same here, only getting 30mb on UPC speedtest.
    Engineer due out today, had no issues getting 150mb sppeds, now 200mb is broken.
    I have checked event log and im getting warnings there "Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ... "

they're not wifi drop outs - its the modem rebooting. I saw it myself happen 4 times last night, while playing GTA on xbox.

I previously had 1.73 last year, and it was rock solid.

Heres my latest speed test

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 40965 kbps (5120.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 10131 kbps (1266.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 12 ms
    Fri Oct 18 10:53:13 2013

whne you phone them to complain.. here some links to google translated topics on chelloo
    google translate chello.com thread1
    google translate chello.com thread2

By those links it looks like the problem lies with the router and the 1.73 FW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

By those links it looks like the problem lies with the router and the 1.73 FW

Yes, looks like the issue is confined to the Thompson modems, the Cisco modems should work fine with the new speed upgrades. I think the Cisco modems are the better of the two in general.

Agreed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Yes, looks like the issue is confined to the Thompson modems, the Cisco modems should work fine with the new speed upgrades. I think the Cisco modems are the better of the two in general.

The Thomson modems are absolutely rubbish. It's happened in the past UPC have pushed dodgy firmware updates (yes it wasn't just a once off!) which screwed up the service big time. From modem not locking onto a signal to atrocious download speeds when it does.
    Their not keen on swapping them out either! Be lucky if you have the Cisco, you can also bridge them which is another bonus. I tried to get this pos swapped many times in the past with no joy :( .

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Senomad

UPC are not even in drogheda . Looks like im stuck with efibre :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

Senomad wrote: »
    UPC are not even in drogheda . Looks like im stuck with efibre :(

You could be stuck with DSL. Or, you could be in my shoes: UPC came to my estate, but their cables stop about 4 houses from mine. Luckily, I'm only paying €10 for 12mb for he next 4 months.

• Advertisement

Engineer has just left.
    Had to go through everything i already have, speed went back to 158mb when they put me back on 150mb.
    They won't be changing the modem.
    Engineer said i need another visit next week to check external wiring as the signal on the upstream is causing issues when on 200mb
    >at least i have 150 again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Did you not ask the engineer what the issue was that UPC say they are working on?
    How do so many cable issues arises the same time plus how come the cable is suddenly good enough for 150 meg after the upgrade is removed??
    Someone is fobbing us off I think.

As per the other thread:

The engineer himself threw his eyes up when he was speaking to HQ, so even he knew what he was doing was pointless but they made him do it.Tried 2 of my computers then he was told to go out and use his own laptop. lol
    comical.
    All he did was everything i already tried/knew.
    He did say the downstream power was dropping on 200mb but he said in similar words "it may be related to the files they use to upgrade the modem"
    i didn't want to have a go at him over it as he was a nice bloke, but it means it's all down to their FW/SW process of upgrading you, so i think the appointment to check the wiring might be redundant also.
    He did leave a 4 way splitter on my line as per his instruction over the phone, something to do with keeping the upstream high.

My UPC speed tests are now 158mb consistent.

I think i'll give it until 4pm, and then ring up and ask to be put back to 150meg until the issue is resolved, as right now the connection is very unstable.

theres nothing wrong with peoples wiring at the home, my wiring in the area is only 2 years old at most, but their insistence in sending out engineers etc, is probably more to do with internal Service Level Agreements and keeping calls moving, rather than having a rake of calls with the same issue and no progress being made.

ondafly wrote: »
    I think i'll give it until 4pm, and then ring up and ask to be put back to 150meg until the issue is resolved, as right now the connection is very unstable.

theres nothing wrong with peoples wiring at the home, my wiring in the area is only 2 years old at most, but their insistence in sending out engineers etc, is probably more to do with internal Service Level Agreements and keeping calls moving, rather than having a rake of calls with the same issue and no progress being made.

Yes, and also to allow them time to investigate the issue on their end.
    They still want to send out engineers to check out external next week, so they may not be expecting a quick fix to this.

Just checked there and i'm now on STBA.01.50

Just checked there and i'm now on STBA.01.50

I was going to ask you the FW version question... :-)

I was going to ask you the FW version question... :-)

:D, yeah was on STB 01.73 before engineeer visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

yoyo wrote: »
    Be lucky if you have the Cisco....

I believe I have the Cisco 3925 at home with a 30mb package. I have been told I need to swap it for a new modem (I am assuming a Thomson modem at a cost of €45!) in order to get the new 120mb package.

Am I better off holding onto my old modem?

• Advertisement

Yes, and also to allow them time to investigate the issue on their end.
    They still want to send out engineers to check out external next week, so they may not be expecting a quick fix to this.

Its purely them buying time if you ask me.
    Especially it being a Friday afternoon now...

Advertisement