Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC have upgraded their speeds again! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

branners69 wrote: »
    I believe I have the Cisco 3925 at home with a 30mb package. I have been told I need to swap it for a new modem (I am assuming a Thomson modem at a cost of €45!) in order to get the new 120mb package.

Am I better off holding onto my old modem?

If you have the EPC 2545 I think it only supports DOCSIS 2.0 and you will need a new modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

update from UPC on their talk to thread - asked users to reboot their modems.

My results from the reboot - and most obvious is the downgrade to 1.5

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 148086 kbps (18510.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 10094 kbps (1261.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 12 ms
    Fri Oct 18 15:25:54 2013

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'm getting the same results from UPC speed test , but getting 200+ everytime on Speedtest.net
    3041468594.png

KoolKid wrote: »
    I'm getting the same results from UPC speed test , but getting 200+ everytime on Speedtest.net
    3041468594.png

Thats some amazing ping response you have there - I see you tested against Enniskillen - so I did the same and got the following

3041477361.png

which is about time - however my ping is gone to ****e lol :o but thats probably down to Enniskillen being the the test site

KoolKid wrote: »
    3041468594.png

I'm still on 150 here..:(

• Advertisement

Just received a call there i should be on 200 after next reboot.
    Thanks for letting me now by call lads!!

So after a reboot I'm on 1.50 and now getting ~180 on the dublin servers. I tried the Enniskillen one for the laugh:

3041638469.png

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

My firmware was downgraded from 1.73 to 1.50 yesterday which I'm not happy about at all.

GEO147 wrote: »
    My firmware was downgraded from 1.73 to 1.50 yesterday which I'm not happy about at all.

At least 1.5 works.

stimpson wrote: »
    At least 1.5 works.

1.73 was always a better firmware for me. I've had my fair share if issues with 1.50.

• Advertisement

GEO147 wrote: »
    1.73 was always a better firmware for me. I've had my fair share if issues with 1.50.

likewise - 1.73 was the more stable of the two for me.

Geo - are you still getting 200meg ?

I had wifi dropouts and stupid long pings on 1.73. Solid as a rock now I'm back to 1.5. Go Figure.

ondafly wrote: »
    likewise - 1.73 was the more stable of the two for me.

Geo - are you still getting 200meg ?

Nope. Since reverting the firmware to 1.50 I have not seen anything higher than 130 - 140 via the UPC speedtest. These UPC shams have no idea what they are at. That is the second time they released the 1.73 fw and then quickly back pedalled to 1.50, for reasons beyond me and obviously UPC aswell.

I get 200 on that Eniskillen server on speedtest.net (whats that all about) but nowhere else.

ignore the Eniskillen result folks - it must be an anomaly.

Hopefully since its Monday, we'll see progress on this issue and get 200meg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I had to do a factory reset (sandwiched in a settings backup/restore) on my Thomson to get anything near 200Mbs, up to then I'd only been getting 80-90Mbs. I've been getting ~180Mbs now with Speedtest.net (depending on the server I choose) and ~170 with the UPC one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I believe I have the Cisco 3925 at home with a 30mb package. I have been told I need to swap it for a new modem (I am assuming a Thomson modem at a cost of €45!) in order to get the new 120mb package.

Am I better off holding onto my old modem?

If you really have a Cisco 3925 (and not a 2545), then: 1) there is no need to swap it to a new modem for higher speeds as it is already a DOCSIS 3.0 modem; 2) you should do everything you can to keep it since it has one advantage over the current modems: it is bridgeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

If you really have a Cisco 3925 (and not a 2545), then: 1) there is no need to swap it to a new modem for higher speeds as it is already a DOCSIS 3.0 modem; 2) you should do everything you can to keep it since it has one advantage over the current modems: it is bridgeable.

I checked over the weekend and it is the 2425 I have so I need an upgrade. Should have it over the next day or so. I am assuming it will be a Thomson.

anyone actually getting 200meg now ? or are we still stuck at 150meg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭OU812

I seem to be getting an average of 190, although I was getting about 175 previously.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

ondafly wrote: »
    anyone actually getting 200meg now ? or are we still stuck at 150meg

Still at around 150...

• Advertisement

Im stuck between 130and 140 since the firmware roll back to 1.50 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I see upc have done away with anytime minutes on their phone package, has anyone managed to get a speed increase and keep their monthly anytime minutes allocation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    I see upc have done away with anytime minutes on their phone package, has anyone managed to get a speed increase and keep their monthly anytime minutes allocation?

Yeah, ask for the loyalty dept, we moved to top horizon bundle with anytime 300 instead of the anyworld 400 one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

The new top Horizon bundle has them as standard.
    Home Phone with Anytime World

FREE calls anytime to local and national destinations and 400 minutes of calls to selected international landline destinations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

I was on Anytime World for €5 extra per month with 30mb broadband. I upgraded to the 120mb last week and I just rang there to confirm that I still have the Anytime World add on so my total monthly bill is €49 (€44 + €5). She also mentioned I get 400 minutes to certain international landlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Ziycon wrote: »
    The new top Horizon bundle has them as standard.

The new top package has anytime world which is different from anytime 150 or anytime 300. The former doesn't include calls to mobiles whereas the anytime 150/300 packages do.

Ziycon wrote:
    Home Phone with Anytime World

FREE calls anytime to local and national destinations and 400 minutes of calls to selected international landline destinations

Actual T&Cs
    Anytime World provides free local and national fixed landline calls and 400 free international minutes at any time per month to fixed landline numbers (excludes calls to mobile, premium rate, SMS and non geographic numbers) in selected international destinations, standard rates apply thereafter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

I was on Anytime World for €5 extra per month with 30mb broadband. I upgraded to the 120mb last week and I just rang there to confirm that I still have the Anytime World add on so my total monthly bill is €49 (€44 + €5). She also mentioned I get 400 minutes to certain international landlines.

Same for me .

So has anyone been getting 200 with the 1.50 firmware? Im not getting anywhere near that since they downgraded the fw from 1.72 to 1.50. While on 1.72 I was rock solid at 200. This is really annoying.

Paying for something I am absolutely not getting, in fact my speeds were better when I was on the 150 package. Trust UPC Ireland is all I can say, years of hassle with them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Got on to loyalty dept in the evening and got bumped up to 50MB unlimited + phone and down to €27

the package is "UPC Basics"
    http://www.upc.ie/about_us/announcements/
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPCBasicsRangeLaunch.pdf

Basically it means I've undone all the sneaky "upgrades" they have tacked on over the last while. And you get the technicolour modem. And there is a whole thread on that...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950728

UPC broadband always reminds me of Fr Ted
    Father Purcell: Because you know they have no morals and no respect for human life. But what they do have and no-one can deny this now, they have the finest collection of boilers in the world! And I include Canada in that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Got on to loyalty dept in the evening and got bumped up to 50MB unlimited + phone and down to €27

the package is "UPC Basics"
    http://www.upc.ie/about_us/announcements/
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPCBasicsRangeLaunch.pdf
    That looks like a great offer, I'm paying €42 now for almost the same. I've 50MB Unlimited + phone (150 anytime minutes.) In contract for another 8 months or so though so it probably wouldn't make sense to move until my contracts up.
    And you get the technicolour modem. And there is a whole thread on that...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950728
    Its a long thread, is it any better than the thomson upc supply?

Advertisement