Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microchipping Dog: Which Sites are best?

• 14-10-2013 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, we have adopted an adult dog who needs his chip registered. There's a few sites and they don't seem to be linked? Does anyone know which are the most popular or main sites to register the microchip on? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Fido is one of the better and more popular ones.

If your dog is picked up then there's a central site called Europetnet which will list what company your chip is linked to. The finder then contacts the chip company direct.

If you have adopted you dog from a rescue then is the chip not registered to them? They will have a way of transferring the chip details to reflect the fact that you own him now. Or if the chip hasn't been registered then you should have gotten a registration code with which to register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ktc

Hi Thanks for the reply, we got her from a sanctuary so they chipped her and gave us the details and code to send off separately to register ourselves, The site they gave us was link-up and It's not mentioned much online, that's why I was looking to also register with a more popular one aswell or see if all the sites are linked?

Thanks for that, I'll register on Fido too to be on the safe side..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Definitely find Fido the best and most accessible.

That's a good idea, I've never heard of Link up and I check alot of chips! I can't even find a site for them!

Also strange that she's not registered to the sanctuary also for traceability should anything ever happen. Perhaps when you have her registered you can give them some feedback about how to improve their chipping procedures.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

I couldn't find linkup online either, that's why I posted here. According to the leaflet of manufacture, the Company is Linkup/ELF Holdings and they're based in The Curragh in Kildare. Might be more popular with horses if its out that direction.

Well she's registered online now, hopefully we'll never have to use it. Thanks again for the tips and yes I'll give them feedback on their chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

ktc wrote: »
    I couldn't find linkup online either, that's why I posted here. According to the leaflet of manufacture, the Company is Linkup/ELF Holdings and they're based in The Curragh in Kildare. Might be more popular with horses if its out that direction.

Well she's registered online now, hopefully we'll never have to use it. Thanks again for the tips and yes I'll give them feedback on their chip.

If based in Kildare, I know who that is then, in my experience, definitely not worth registering with, as it would be no help if your dog got lost, did you go with Fido?

Very poor form on the part of the 'sanctuary' imo to let a dog be rehomed without being registered on any micro-chip database. Then when you take into account that they didn't even recommend a decent database for the OP to register the dog herself....

Sometimes you really gotta wonder :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

True but at least they *are* microchipping, when a lot of rescues don't!

€15 to register your microchipped pet with FIDO or Animark. I'd go with FIDO. And at the moment when you register your pet with FIDO you get a voucher to buy Royal Canin dog or cat food - I got a 4kg bag of puppy food worth €28!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 bonnie13

Has anyone the telephone number for Fido please?

Contact them by e-mail at registrations@fido.ie.

They are very quick to respond.

Advertisement