Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New organic raw vegan restaurant in Temple Bar

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I've been and was let down by the food so I gave them another try and went for ice cream and then they didn't have any, said they forgot to order something.

So I don't think I'll do a 3rd chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I've been and was let down by the food so I gave them another try and went for ice cream and then they didn't have any, said they forgot to order something.

So I don't think I'll do a 3rd chance.

yeah maybe not worth it. I can't see the place lasting due to all of the above and it annoys me cause I really wanted it to be good :(

one of my friends (vegan) said the curry looked good but it was quite expensive so I didnt go for it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

I was there last week and I was impressed. Yes the food is expensive but you are paying for high quality in my opinion. I have to say the service was fantastic. We had a waiter (I think he was French) and he was brilliant. Checked on us numerous times, made recommendations etc and seemed to be having the craic/friendly with a few other tables too.
    The dessert was amazing (I had the cheese cake). They also recently added the tasting menu on the menu for about €33.
    I'm looking forward to going back for the tasting menu. Yes the portions are smallish but they are very tasty and lets remember they are probably working at a deficit at the moment as they are a new business

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Went here recently and was exceptionally disappointed. The pizza was very nice, as was the accompanying salad, however other than that it was a struggle to get through. I'm actually quite surprised so many enjoyed the soup - to me it was just a too subtley flavoured mush, with the consistency of a smoother mascarpone (possibly not smoother, it's been a long time since I've had mascarpone), although I think it might be slightly different every day/every other day or something. It wasn't like a soup at all, just squishy vaguely nutty paste.
    The risotto, I couldn't even tell you what was wrong with it. It looked just like wild rice and vegetables, so I thought it'd be grand, but there was a very strong flavour in it I couldn't put my finger on (I'm not good with this stuff) that just overpowered everything and made it not very palatable to me.
    Then there was the cinnamon "tea" - lukewarm water with bits of cinnamon through it. Incredibly gritty, I could feel it on my teeth for quite some time after. I didn't see the appeal, it had a strongish flavour underneath the first taste (or non-taste) of water, but it wasn't like a strong cinnamon flavour, just woody.

Can someone please explain to me the idea behind this "raw" food? Why did it come about? People have been cooking as long as they've been hunting and gathering food, there's a reason we do it. It's hardly better for you, except in the case of certain vegetables, but there is no harm in cooking anything and most things wouldn't have anything taken away from them by cooking. I just don't understand it, makes no odds to me if someone wants to live that way (Jaysus knows I've had enough slagging about my veganism to know better than that), but I don't know the reasons at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Your soup sounds very different to ours, and we dint have a risotto, we had no salad, your meal wasn't very similar to ours.

"In terms of health, some raw vegans believe that cooking foods destroys the complex balance of micronutrients. They may also believe that, in the cooking process, dangerous chemicals are produced by the heat interaction with fat, protein, and carbohydrates such as advanced glycation end-products (AGEs)[1] and others[citation needed]."

The other reasons are spiritual mumbo jumbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Your soup sounds very different to ours, and we dint have a risotto, we had no salad, your meal wasn't very similar to ours.

"In terms of health, some raw vegans believe that cooking foods destroys the complex balance of micronutrients. They may also believe that, in the cooking process, dangerous chemicals are produced by the heat interaction with fat, protein, and carbohydrates such as advanced glycation end-products (AGEs)[1] and others[citation needed]."

The other reasons are spiritual mumbo jumbo.

Thanks! And yeah, it could have been very different, the salad was a beetroot, apple and orange thingy, I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

menu

food prices seem very reasonable but I would be sticking to water if I went, the drinks are through the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I'm so disappointed in this place. I was really looking forward to it but it was a massive let down. The service was painfully slow despite the place being quiet and the food, let's face it, not needing very much cooking. We waited what seems like forever for our food and when it arrived we weren't even given cutlery. Had to wait longer for that then before we could eat. Water came a long time after that. We never got napkins or anything. And we did ask for all of these, by the way. The food was nice, not amazing, just nice, but not worth the money or the wait. I definitely won't be going back anyway. What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

I agree, I've gone again since I started this thread, and although I enjoyed the food the first time, they clearly have no idea about how to run a business or how to run a restaurant and serve customers. Giving raw food a bad name! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

11982653215_597fd444a7.jpg

I visited this week and was very impressed by the tasting menu. I loved the beetroot salad and I wouldn't normally eat beetroot. The risotto and dessert at the end were particular highlights. I got an almond hot chocolate after positive feedback on twitter but it was a little watery for my tastes.

I would say the service was a little slow, no place to dine if you're in a hurry. The venue isn't the best as its very steamed up when you first go in and I was wearing glasses so it took a while to feel settled.

The marketing aspect seems to be non existent, which is a shame, as social media 'word of mouth' counts for a lot these days. I'm not sure this place will last unfortunately, as much as I hate to say it, the food is brilliant, its the managing a food business side of things that needs ironing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Just a heads up for anyone who hasnt used the voucher yet. i tried to book by email 10 days before we wanted to eat, no reply, tried facebook, tried phonong, no response!

so actually went in last night and we were told the place was fully booked. it was pretty busy and i was wondering how considering they dont respond to regular communication forms!

Emailed groupon and they said the restaurant are no longer accepting the vouchers and we got a refund from them!

Put me off trying to eat there at any stage to be honest!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Indeed, won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

We went here today for lunch with a voucher. There were some good and bad points.

The good -

Food was very tasty and inventive.
    Servers were friendly and obviously wanted you to enjoy your meal.

The bad -

Service was exceptionally slow. Our voucher was for the tasting menu for 2 and we were there for almost 2 hours!

We felt that for 2 people, we got very little food. Our meal consisted of -

Starter was a very small salad. Made up of a few leaves, a spoon of what I think was hummus, a spoon of shredded beetroot and 2 olives. We got a of these each.

Next was a shot of soup. Very tasty, but obviously just a couple of mouthfuls.

Then we got 1 plate of "mains" which we had to share. There was literally about 2 spoons per person of each dish. Banana curry with coconut crumble, tomato risotto, 1 incredibly small slice of pizza and a noodle dish. I'm being totally honest, we got a couple of spoonfuls each.

A shot of hot chocolate. Again tasty but 2 mouthfuls max.

Then we got another sharing plate for dessert. It consisted of the ice creams pictured in the posts above, only we didn't get actual scoops, we got, at the very most, a couple of teaspoons of each flavour. A very tiny mouthful of cake which when split between us was barely a mouthful. There was some coulis on the side too.

I was so glass we hand't paid full price. Maybe if you are paying full price then you get proper sized portions, but in my mind thats not how a voucher should work. Its supposed to be a deal, not just pay less and get a lot less.

Food was delicious, but we won't be back anytime soon. Service way too slow and I'd be worried about paying the expensive prices (i understand the food costs more to make) and only getting a teeny tiny portion.

We were still so hungry when we left that when we went to get cocktails @ fallon and byrne we ordered a couple of starters!

Edit - oh and when we got there we sat down and we were not given a menu or any description of what was to come, like how many courses we should expect or what the food would be incase we had allergies or anything. They just bought food out when it was ready. It seemed like they were trying to serve every table each course at the same time as whenever we finished a dish, we always seemed to be waiting for the other table to finish before they cleared our table.

Rockiemalt wrote: »
    Just a heads up for anyone who hasnt used the voucher yet. i tried to book by email 10 days before we wanted to eat, no reply, tried facebook, tried phonong, no response!

so actually went in last night and we were told the place was fully booked. it was pretty busy and i was wondering how considering they dont respond to regular communication forms!

Emailed groupon and they said the restaurant are no longer accepting the vouchers and we got a refund from them!

Put me off trying to eat there at any stage to be honest!

In fairness, leaving using the voucher until the final week you should have expected some backlog, especially seeing as its a small and new business. This isn't a judgement on you as I probably would have left it last minute too though. That being said, they should also have foreseen this, and made some accommodations for that. The lack of communication with you isn't professional.

While the food is great, the business/managing side of things falls down, and this how many small food businesses have crumbled. I'm not optimistic either.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Rang a few weeks ago and booked for Friday 17th Jan at 7pm for two people using the groupon voucher. So we arrive at 7pm and there is no record of our booking. They seat us at a bench affair facing the wall.

The service was a little slow but there only seemed to be one waitress who was very pleasant and tried to keep things moving along. The food was good but the portions were very small. The cashew cheese and almond toast were so lovely I could have eaten about 4 more plates of it!! My pizza slice was gone in 2 mouthfuls.

We had
    Cashew cheese and almond toast
    Beetroot and orange salad
    Carrot and coriander soup shot
    Pizza slice
    Banana curry and crumble
    Some kind of cheesecake with berries.

All in all I liked the food, it was all very tasty. It was good to get a taste of everything. Dont think I would go for the tasting menu again but would re-visit for a normal course meal.

It was packed on Friday night and they were turning people away. I just hope they can get the service a little quicker, have plentiful supplies of loo roll and handwash in the bathroom and make the place a little less sterile looking. Hopefully this will come with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭FollatonWood

Had the munchies in town about a month ago and came across this place - was a strange experience to be honest! I walked in and there were just 2 people there having coffee. The girl behind the counter basically ignored me for 5min and then told me they only had pizza and the other food wouldn't be arriving til later in the evening (it was about 4pm). She then said I could come back later and 'try' to get a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

it appears to be closed, from their Facebook page:
    To all our customers:

Sseduced is now embarking on an exciting new project.

In order to make this happen we'll no longer be trading as a restaurant.

If you purchased a Groupon or Dealrush voucher please kindly contact them for a refund.

Please check out our thrilling updates in the near future at www.sseduced.com.

We thank you very much for all your kindness and support.

We look forward to being in touch with you soon.

With Best Wishes,

Sseduced Team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Well I'm not surprised it didn't work as a restaurant. Minuscule portions (1 tiny pizza slice for 2 people?!?) and terribly slow service.

Maybe they will reopen as a deli or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

I would have been happy to give them more custom if only the service was at a reasonable speed. Who has that much spare time that they can wait all afternoon for their lunch to arrive.

Waiting for this to happen, do people not realise things about their business?If even veg*ns are saying it won't last you know you are doing something wrong, bit mad to have something that niche and difficult to "cook" anyway...in Dublin. You would need to be top notch in all aspects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It was ridiculous, never going to last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Never got around to going to this place but it sounds like this was inevitable. Wonder what they are doing next, if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yet again, another half baked attempt at a vegan / vegetarian restaurant in Dublin.

Dublin city desperately needs a high quality veggie restaurant, there is a big market waiting for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Unfortunately I think no new restaurant, veggie/vegan or not could do well in Dublin at the moment. All I see is places shutting down because of rent prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I suppose those two falafel joints on dame street seem to be doing okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Ye that's true, I was a bit harsh probably tbh :p

what kind of place would people like to see? what kind of food? I always find the menus really lacking in any new veggie or vegan place that opens up.

fewtins wrote: »
    I suppose those two falafel joints on dame street seem to be doing okay.

I LOVE Umi Falafel, consistently good, bursting with flavour and great staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Ye that's true, I was a bit harsh probably tbh :p

what kind of place would people like to see? what kind of food? I always find the menus really lacking in any new veggie or vegan place that opens up.

Something like Cafe Paradiso in Dublin. Something that will appeal to non-veggies as well as veggies which is needed to keep the place going.

That's really the thing, you need a restaurant that everybody wants to go to. Restaurants can't survive off veg*ns alone etc. Too many places seem to miss that mass appeal factorI feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

a really good restaurant that happens to be veg*n is what's needed imo

run by people who know how to run a business, with chefs who are creative and innovative, and staff who know how to treat a customer

Advertisement