Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2007

Options
  • 14-10-2013 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

What's the best method to transfer email accounts, folders and address book from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2007? (Both programs resident on the same machine)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Outlook 2007 has a wizard to import all accounts and settings from Outlook Express.

File > Open > Import > Import from another program or file > Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x or Windows Mail

Outlook2010_Migrate_Folders-05.jpg

Outlook2010_Migrate_Folders-06.jpg

Outlook2010_Migrate_Folders-18.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Cheers advertsfox, that will import everything?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Yes it should do it all, the only thing you may have to do is re-enter your password on first Send / Receive. It won't clear the older Express files either so go for it and get back to us.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Yes it should do it all, the only thing you may have to do is re-enter your password on first Send / Receive. It won't clear the older Express files either so go for it and get back to us.

Spot on advertsfox ;) It worked exactly as you suggested it would, brought everything & I just had to enter the passwords to complete.

Just a couple of things to be aware of for anyone else reading this.

If you have multiple accounts in Outlook Express you will need to import each one individually into Outlook 2007

On each import it will offer to take the folders and address too, but be careful of that one (it caught me) If you agree to that on each import? it won't duplicate the folders but it will duplicate the address in the address book on each import, for example, if you choose that option and import 5 accounts you will end up with 5 of each and every address in your address book :( So, for multiple accounts, agree to import the folders and address on the first import but decline that option for the remaining accounts.

Anyway, this whole exercise was to get everything from Outlook Express 6 on an XP machine into Outlook 2007 on the same XP machine with a view to moving the lot over to a Win7 machine.

Now that that's done successfully, my understanding is that all I need to bring the lot across to the new Win7 PC is the Outlook 2007 "Outlook.pst" file located @ C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst, correct?

Now, on the new Win 7 machine with a clean install of Outlook 2007, can I just copy that pst file to the correct location overwriting the default one Outlook will have created or do I actually have to use Outlook 2007 to import from that pst file?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Now that that's done successfully, my understanding is that all I need to bring the lot across to the new Win7 PC is the Outlook 2007 "Outlook.pst" file located @ C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst, correct?

Now, on the new Win 7 machine with a clean install of Outlook 2007, can I just copy that pst file to the correct location overwriting the default one Outlook will have created or do I actually have to use Outlook 2007 to import from that pst file?

You can, but the proper procedure is to import it. ;)

In fact, you can copy it anywhere you want, rename the original (e.g. in outlook.bak), start Outlook and it will complain that it can't find the file, just point it to the PST file from the other machine.

Note: if you're using Outlook 2010, this doesn't work, you'll have to import from the older version.

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    Note: if you're using Outlook 2010, this doesn't work, you'll have to import from the older version.

So would that pst file be valid for all flavours of Outlook? I know I read somewhere that a pst file from Outlook 2003 is 100% compatible with Outlook 2007, would that work in reverse, if you had a 2007 pst file would it work fine in 2003 too once you use the import as opposed to direct copy? Just been curious here now :)

So would that pst file be valid for all flavours of Outlook? I know I read somewhere that a pst file from Outlook 2003 is 100% compatible with Outlook 2007, would that work in reverse, if you had a 2007 pst file would it work fine in 2003 too? Just been curious here now :)

An Outlook 2003 PST file works just fine with Outlook 2007 and vice versa. Outlook 2010 is a different matter.

Torqay wrote: »
    An Outlook 2003 PST file works just fine with Outlook 2007 and vice versa. Outlook 2010 is a different matter.

Just do I understand it all now,

Are you saying that 2003 & 2007 are both backwards compatible with each other and that either can also be used with 2010 provided they are inserted via the import option in 2010? And are you saying that a 2010 pst file does not work with 2003 and 2007?

Are you saying that 2003 & 2007 are both backwards compatible with each other

I'm saying they're interchangeable, yes. ;)

and that either can also be used with 2010 provided they are inserted via the import option in 2010?

Yes, Outlook 2010 can easily import messages from older PST versions.

And are you saying that a 2010 pst file does not work with 2003 and 2007?

Well, it does and it doesn't. It's not as straight forward as it is with the older format, more info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Hi,

There is no best alternative except DBX to PST converter for switching Outlook Express to Outlook 2007. This converter provides a mechanism by which your entire data goes through a conversion method and output will be released in the form of PST data.
    To get review about detailed scenario, read an informative resource of DBX to PST converter at:

http://www.stellaroutlooktools.com/outlookexpress/dbx-pst.php

Regards:
    Jane

• Advertisement
Advertisement