Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Windows Phone Updates early with Windows Phone Preview for Developers

Options
  • 14-10-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Apparently Microsoft are finally starting the program to allow developers to get their Windows Phone updates early.

Introducing Windows Phone Preview for Developers

OK, the update only includes the Microsoft portion of the update. We’re not providing the firmware and drivers that are specific to your device; the rest of the update will flow down to your phone when you receive the official update.

So this means any Nokia, Samsung, HTC or Huawei specific bits won't be updated.

But it does mean that you can get it for free (no need to register for a paid Developer account, if you just Register for an App Studio account for free and save $19).

Here's what you'll need to do

Visit the Windows Phone Preview for Developers web site (which should be live some time later today, US-time) and you will need to review and accept the terms and conditions.

After accepting the T&C's you can download the Windows Phone Preview for Developers app, which will install from the Windows Phone Store directly onto your phone over the air. Using the app you can opt-in to receive new updates directly from your phone.

Then, just visit Phone Update in Settings and check for updates and Bob's your uncle, so to speak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Downloading it now.

Any word on whether or not it allows you to move apps to the SD card? Seems insane to me that its not already an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

DjFlin wrote: »
    Downloading it now.

Any word on whether or not it allows you to move apps to the SD card? Seems insane to me that its not already an option.
    It doesn't seem to be an option for this release. Maybe they may squeeze it in to WP8.1 next year.

(Although I don't have removable storage, so wouldn't have affected me too much)

Some details of the update are available from the Windows Phone blog - http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2013/10/14/announcing-our-third-windows-phone-8-update-plus-a-new-developer-preview-program.aspx.

Been playing with it for the last hour or so.

Its kind of sickening how little Microsoft seem to care. The only major difference I've noticed is that you can close apps from the multitasking pane.

After using WP7 from day one, I think I can finally say I've given up on Windows Phone. Microsoft either dont care, or just straight up dont understand how to make it work.

Its kind of sickening how little Microsoft seem to care. The only major difference I've noticed is that you can close apps from the multitasking pane.

After using WP7 from day one, I think I can finally say I've given up on Windows Phone. Microsoft either dont care, or just straight up dont understand how to make it work.

I think this update has always been about 1080p displays and whatever else they can squeeze in and an effort to show carriers that Microsoft can handle OS updates without their approval (similar to Apple and iOS updates)

There are also the manufacturer specific add-ons like Nokia's "Bittersweet Shimmer" that aren't included in this preview.

Windows Phone blue / 8.1 will be the one they either make or break Wp8 because its the first release since its been brought together in the windows team.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

GDR3 was never supposed to be meant as a huge increase if features, 8.1 is that. There are plently of bug fixes and some decent new features. WPC have a good roundup: http://www.wpcentral.com/hands-video-tour-windows-phone-8-update-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Has anybody noticed any "dealbreaker"-type issues since updating to gdr3? Any apps broken? Any improvements to native Facebook integration eg can see more than 100 photos in Facebook albums in Pictures hub? Or is Facebook chat actually working these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

did you not read anywhere the list of features that was included with the update ? it probably would have meant less disappointment if you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

WP8 SDK requires Windows 8? (&*^%^%$*&U*(&R&^%$*)&(*Y)&*6

Home is Laptop and workstations run 7, work is the same. There goes dev unlocking my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Thank god for rotation lock

kayos wrote: »
    WP8 SDK requires Windows 8? (&*^%^%$*&U*(&R&^%$*)&(*Y)&*6

Home is Laptop and workstations run 7, work is the same. There goes dev unlocking my phone.
    I don't think you have to Dev unlock it. If you're registered on App Studio with your Windows Live ID that's on your phone, it should be enough.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    did you not read anywhere the list of features that was included with the update ? it probably would have meant less disappointment if you did.

I think you're missing my point. Windows Phone 8 has been out for a year now, and the two biggest additions are rotation lock and the ability to close apps from the multitasking menu.

I understand that people want to support WP8, so do I. But getting excited and cheering for lackluster updates just leaves the development team in the dark as to what people are really looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I think you're missing my point. Windows Phone 8 has been out for a year now, and the two biggest additions are rotation lock and the ability to close apps from the multitasking menu.

I understand that people want to support WP8, so do I. But getting excited and cheering for lackluster updates just leaves the development team in the dark as to what people are really looking for.

But this is not supposed to be a major upgrade

I think you're missing my point. I don't believe I was cheering anywhere in my post. Or getting excited. I merely pointed out that if you had read the list of updates before installing the update then perhaps you would not have been disappointed afterwards. Have a wee read of this article to see just how comparatively swiftly WP8 development is moving in comparison to Android and iOS.
    This update is the 3rd major update on WP8. Just because it doesn't deliver only whizz-bang features doesn't mean there's nothing being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

This doesn't invalidate the warranty, does it?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

Under Windows Phone SDK 8.0, click Windows Phone Developer Registration. The app starts, as shown in the following image.
    Developer_Registration_Tool

I don't get this option, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Tom

Advertisement