Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Bulldog Breeders

Options
  • 14-10-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Looking for reputable Bristish bulldog breeder in Ireland, contacted IKC and they gave me a name of a lady up the north. Dont mind travelling but saw from research that the breeder above chages e3000 a pup and there is a long waiting list. My budget is around e1000. Have saw alot on done deal etc but would prefer a recommendation as many are scams and not purebreeds, thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

£2-3k sounds about right for a well-bred dog. You won't get one for any less.

Reason being the birthing costs for the bitch and puppies. AFAIK, the bitch has to have a Caesarean, as she cannot give birth naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its English Bulldog btw ;-)

To be honest, as the above poster said, you wont get a good one for any less than around 2000 minimum. So id start saving, get in touch with some breeders and get your name on the waiting list. It will be worth the wait for a good pup from a good breeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Definitely save up and buy one from a responsible, ethical breeder OP. I know someone who got one for about €1500, so far she's had to have an operation for entropian on both eyes and she has a knee problem. Not sure how much these operations costed but could have been avoided had he gone to a proper breeder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

£2-3k sounds about right for a well-bred dog. You won't get one for any less.

Reason being the birthing costs for the bitch and puppies. AFAIK, the bitch has to have a Caesarean, as she cannot give birth naturally.

have heard this before and i think the litters are quite small as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

This is one breed you do not want to skimp on paying for - health problems are legion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

jimf wrote: »
    have heard this before and i think the litters are quite small as well

Have only witnessed one English Bulldog caesarian, but she had nine puppies and they all died as they were water (anasarca) puppies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

boomerang wrote: »
    Have only witnessed one English Bulldog caesarian, but she had nine puppies and they all died as they were water (anasarca) puppies.

Feck :-o
    As a matter of interest, have you seen any natural EB births? I suppose by definition these wouldn't necessarily be seen by vets and vet nurses though. I wonder what the figures are for CS vs natural birth for the breed?
    OP, I know there's a breeder in Gormanston in east Meath, but that's all I know, so I can't tell you whether they're good, bad or indifferent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've been involved in 2 c sections for English bulldogs, one litter had 6 pups, the other had 8! So I wouldn't recon they are prone to small litter sizes. Talking to the breeder when he came back to get the bitches stitched out, one litter lost 3 pups and the other lost one. Any decently bred ones I've seen have been upwards of €2000, I wouldn't say that they would come much cheaper than that if you want a well bred dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

I've been involved in 2 c sections for English bulldogs, one litter had 6 pups, the other had 8! So I wouldn't recon they are prone to small litter sizes. Talking to the breeder when he came back to get the bitches stitched out, one litter lost 3 pups and the other lost one. Any decently bred ones I've seen have been upwards of €2000, I wouldn't say that they would come much cheaper than that if you want a well bred dog!

used to work with a girl a while back whose friend in cork bred eb 2 litters i know of 3 pups each time so its not from any knowledge i just presumed litters were small

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

My sister bought an English bulldog off a UK buy/sell site, think she paid about €1500. After a few weeks she had a hole in her heart and major problems with both eyes and had to be put down.

Then they went straight out and bought another from a similar site. Apparently this time it will be ok though cos they paid €2000 :(

Don't be as naive as my sister. Be patient, save your money and end up with a great dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 KarKar10

Thanks for all the advice guys, may get saving so it seems!! Someday I will own a English Bulldog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Many years ago we had a neighbour that bred them, they weren't as stocky as they are now, and they didn't have quite as flat a face, but boy did they have big personalities!
    I loved those dogs and pups (she had 3 litters from 2 bitches in the four years we lived there), but she spayed the bitches and stopped breeding, no idea why, I was just a child. I have great memories of being head butted by dogs wanting their turn getting rubs, pups falling all over each other and grunting like pigs when playing. It's a shame they have such awful health problems, I wish you all the best and hope you find a great dog.

Don't forget to post the pics when you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Have you considered an American Bulldog? Healthier breed and closely resembles the original look of the original Bulldog. And I would imagine they are well within your budget.

6FFAE28A-EC63-4AC7-857D-142647DF8B2F-595-0000013CE321CC1C_zps031f1239.jpg

8FEDE40B-DFA7-4F2B-A2F5-7839BB041267-595-0000013D02FA9C6A_zps7d5b2ad2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I think if it was a choice of an american or english bulldog I would go for the american, ever since seeing homeward bound I've thought they are just so cute!!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

I'm working in a vets at the moment and its just sad when these dogs come in.

They are highly prone to skin problems, eye problems, ear problems, breathing problems and heart problems... Most can't even give birth on their own.

I watched one yesterday struggle to breathe due to his squashed up face

They might be attractive to you but they are against nature and many people feel that this breed should be banned, that its just not fair what these dogs have to put up with, simply to look "cute" or "goofy" to passers by.

I'm not trying to set you back, just let you know that it might be nicer to consider another breed that will cost you less both short term and long term, and shouldn't have to suffer as much as the bulldog would.

Advertisement