Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What could cause cracks on all of a cats paw pads?

• 14-10-2013 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

When we brought Poppy home to live with us I noticed that all of her paw pads were badly cracked and the skin seemed very thin and much lighter in colour than they should be. They're getting much better, but I'm just curious as to whether there's an illness that could cause it or if it's just from living rough for a few months. She's due back for her 2nd round of vaccinations this week and is really ruling the roost here:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

I don't know the cause, but when I took in a stray in dreadful condition her paws were all cracked as well. I think it was a result of poor nutrition, her fur was falling out too. She was fine after a few months of good food and easy livin' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Feline Plasma cell pododermatitis (Pillow Foot) is what the vet diagnosed today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

ouch - poor Poppy! Isnt that an immune system issue? Hope she gets sorted soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

aonb wrote: »
    ouch - poor Poppy! Isnt that an immune system issue? Hope she gets sorted soon
    She's doing great. I knew something wasn't right about her paws, I just couldn't figure out what it was. There's a purple tinge to her pads and they're puffier than normal pads. The cracks are much better and our floors are either carpeted or vinyl so are cat friendly.

The vet says she's managing fine and she is, she's a little acrobat and it's really only when she lands that you notice a problem. She holds one of her front paws for a couple of seconds then just moves as normal. Our vet described the sensation Poppy would feel as walking around outdoors barefoot. Still, it didn't stop her taking off into the distance in the cold last night:) Hopefully the condition won't get any worse as it affects all of her paws.

Advertisement