Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New member to the team getting €15k more !

Options
  • 14-10-2013 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is more looking for advice than a problem

I work in a large company with over 300 employees.
    In my team there are 3 of us who all started on the same day and a Manager. ( 4 total )
    We all joined the company about 4.5 years ago give or take.
    With the work we have on we got the go ahead to hire a new member of the team which will join the 3 of us.
    Our manager is looking over CV’s and HR have the job on linkedin and some other hiring sites.
    We looked up the job and seen they are offering about €15k more than what we are all on.
    The new member to the team will be doing the exact same work as us, they won’t be senior to us and we will have to train them in. We will also be doing the interviews for the job.

We want to talk to our manager about this but don’t know the best way to go about it.
    The way this place is we have a lot of bosses. So he would have to go to his boss.. and then his boss to his boss..

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Playing devils advocate here...
    Could they be quoting the overall package to make it look more attractive?
    Eg salary 45k + 10% pension + health insurance + bonus 10% + phone + laptop etc or similar.
    That "could" be seen as a 60k package

Also some web based HR packages that interface with job boards quote figures at the maximum of a range - eg, if you have a drop box to select from eg - 40 to 60K it may appear on a job board as 60k. This has happened to me on one occasion - very embarrassing.

Or it could be an error.

or even could be its time to ask for a raise.

But ultimately I'd say a friendly chat with your manager wouldn't go astray. Explain how it made you feel, in relation to motivation, morale and even having peers question your worth (friends seeing the advert assume that's what you are on).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the reply.

It's salary is just money All bonus are stated as well and the new person would get them as well.

We don't have cars/phones/laptops so they wouldn't be covered.

We thought it might be an error but we seen it on a few sites.. and they must have got there info from us.

We don't really know how to bring it up.. as we don't want to upset the boss.. we all get on well with him.

When we took the job we where told the starting wage was €30k .. which we all started on.. we are all on about €36k now - The new job has been advertised at €50 - €55k -- and they will be doing the exact same work.. and as i said we will be training them and interviewing them.

We don't know if we are allowed go to HR and ask them out straight if they are hiring someone for our roles and paying them a lot more ... can we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

15kmore wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

It's salary is just money All bonus are stated as well and the new person would get them as well.

We don't have cars/phones/laptops so they wouldn't be covered.

We thought it might be an error but we seen it on a few sites.. and they must have got there info from us.

We don't really know how to bring it up.. as we don't want to upset the boss.. we all get on well with him.

When we took the job we where told the starting wage was €30k .. which we all started on.. we are all on about €36k now - The new job has been advertised at €50 - €55k -- and they will be doing the exact same work.. and as i said we will be training them and interviewing them.

We don't know if we are allowed go to HR and ask them out straight if they are hiring someone for our roles and paying them a lot more ... can we ?

I'd say have an informal chat with your manager, show them a copy of the advert and explain that it was quite "upsetting" to see that they are offering new entrants significantly more than you are all getting.

I work in recruitment and one piece of advice I always give to clients when they come to me looking for market data for salary reviews is that they need to pay more attention to how much it would cost to replace someone than what you can get away with paying them.

Ask a simple informal question of your manager - Is this what the market pays people doing our role? No need to be confrontational or aggressive. Just give them a chance to respond.

Depending on that response you can decide on your next move, if any.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If you're interviewing can you not just ask your boss what salary they are offering incase it comes up during the interview, that'll open the window to start the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I think that the solution to your issue is simple.

Apply for the new role, this will bring the issue into focus with you "complaining" about the differential between your current salary and the advertised salary.

If you are good at your job, you are a shoo-in, for the new role if the interview process is fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

It would not be unusal for a job to be advertised with a salary that is at the upper end of the industry norm in order to generate interest from the best people,but in reality it would be with the previso DOE so for example a job in the 45k to 60k bracket would be advertised at 60k but the successful candidate would most likely only be offered a 45k contract with the potential to reach 60k under very specific circumstances ie a huge increase in company profits,a number of years of service etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

This is more looking for advice than a problem

I work in a large company with over 300 employees.
    In my team there are 3 of us who all started on the same day and a Manager. ( 4 total )
    We all joined the company about 4.5 years ago give or take.
    With the work we have on we got the go ahead to hire a new member of the team which will join the 3 of us.
    Our manager is looking over CV’s and HR have the job on linkedin and some other hiring sites.
    We looked up the job and seen they are offering about €15k more than what we are all on.
    The new member to the team will be doing the exact same work as us, they won’t be senior to us and we will have to train them in. We will also be doing the interviews for the job.

We want to talk to our manager about this but don’t know the best way to go about it.
    The way this place is we have a lot of bosses. So he would have to go to his boss.. and then his boss to his boss..

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks.

Best way is head on... Don't think that they're not expecting you to mention it, they'll be ready !..

Just ask what is the reasoning behind offering more to the new employee if they will be doing the same work...

Personally if its the same job I wouldn't go applying for it, it will just look like your messing around... Just ask politely and professionally....

Truth is there is no reason at all that you should all be paid the same, even doing the same job.. Places I've worked have had quite large differences between people on the same grade doing the same job...

A simple answer to you is that they are aiming for someone with years more experience than anyone there so more cash is being offered..

Advertisement