Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs. Gloucester

• 14-10-2013 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭

Lads, I've 2 Terrace tickets gonig spare for Saturday's game. In the past I've had no trouble offloading tickets, but I can barely give these away. Are the wheels well & truly off the bandwagon now?

If I don't shift them I'm going to have to start offering to (God Forbid) Gloucester fans :(

Face Value, €30 each.

Dissappointing sign of the times in Munster rugby.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Not worth 10 million to the city any more then?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lads, I've 2 Terrace tickets gonig spare for Saturday's game. In the past I've had no trouble offloading tickets, but I can barely give these away. Are the wheels well & truly off the bandwagon now?

If I don't shift them I'm going to have to start offering to (God Forbid) Gloucester fans :(

Face Value, €30 each.

Dissappointing sign of the times in Munster rugby.

Your problem is that they're still available online. The wheels have indeed fallen well & truly off the bandwagon, so the demand isn't there. It's was the same last season. Only the diehards left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Your problem is that they're still available online. The wheels have indeed fallen well & truly off the bandwagon, so the demand isn't there. It's was the same last season. Only the diehards left.

Didn't know they were still on sale, ouch.
    Might drop the price to €50 a pair later in the week, lessons learned & all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I'd take them off you only I've a 60th on Saturday night that I can't get out of. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

The defeat to Edinburgh has completely undermined the ticket market this year.

Big problems ahead now for Munster regarding season tickets and Rabodirect league games.

They have the pricing structure all wrong for the present market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭banie01

relaxed wrote: »
    The defeat to Edinburgh has completely undermined the ticket market this year.

Big problems ahead now for Munster regarding season tickets and Rabodirect league games.

They have the pricing structure all wrong for the present market.

Are they still trying to force the 3 game packages for the Pro12?
    Last couple of seasons if you wanted a Leinster ticket you also had to buy tickets for 2 other games.
    The family terrace season ticket was good value but only as it gave you 2 extra tickets free(4 for the price of 2) but it is getting harder and harder to justify dropping the cash on match tickets if I want to take my son to a game its €60 before we buy a burger!

In all seriousness I played rugby for many years, still support and attend my local club and have followed munster rugby since my granda took me to Thomond on his shoulders in the 80's....
    Its a love for a sport that I share with my son too.
    Its not so much a case of the wheels falling off the bandwagon in our case as the Band wagon is costing too much!
    I've got to trim my cloth to measure....
    And like many other folk, my bills come before lining the Munster branch's pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I was a season ticket holder up to 2 years ago. I was looking to bring my 9 year old nephew to a Leinster and Munster Rabo game and was told I had to pay the "full adult price" for a ticket for him as this match was a premium match. :confused:

Needless to say that was my last year buying a season ticket. Now I only go to the odd game.

It's a shame really as the kids enjoy the event and it's a great day out too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I wouldn't say the bubble has burst, but I would say that tickets are an awful lot easier to get now, not too long ago tickets were like gold dust and you were happy to pay for a season ticket just to get a couple of precious HEC tickets, because of so many season tickets it meant that getting a ticket for a Celtic League game was a big thing as well, people used to pay for a dual venue Celtic League Season tickets as it used to increase your chances of getting additional draws.

Now, there isn't 26,000 people willing to pay ~30 a match to watch games, but because of the ludicrous pricing structure they won't change the price of tickets. The more and more season ticket holders I speak to that have let their ticket lapse the more and more "final straws" there has been, for me it was paying HEC prices to have Ulster send their 3rds down at Christmas last year coupled with disgraceful tickets for play offs or other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

It isn't just Munster. You can still get tickets for all the Autumn Internationals including New Zealand on ticketmaster. A few years ago they would go in minutes. Also go to the FAI website and you can pick a ticket for tonights match in any section of the stadium. The GAA only sold out the All Ireland Finals. People just don't have the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I remember the days of having to beg for Heineken cup tickets then if you got lucky, 50 euro each and 20 on top for the local club. What a load of balls, I think they got to greedy, tried to milk people for every penny they got and are now having to deal resenting fans and a very average team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭gifted

Was at the connaught/saracens game last fri night and 2 lads behind me were saying that they stopped their munster season ticket because match tickets were so easy to get due to the recession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

gifted wrote: »
    Was at the connaught/saracens game last fri night and 2 lads behind me were saying that they stopped their munster season ticket because match tickets were so easy to get due to the recession

I was seriously considering giving up my ST's for financial reasons but eventually decided to keep the Pro12 ( really, really good seats) but give up my HC ones (sh*tty view). I've noticed that a good few people that were around me on the West Stand in the same seats for the last couple of years weren't there for the Leinster game so people are giving up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was seriously considering giving up my ST's for financial reasons but eventually decided to keep the Pro12 ( really, really good seats) but give up my HC ones (sh*tty view). I've noticed that a good few people that were around me on the West Stand in the same seats for the last couple of years weren't there for the Leinster game so people are giving up.

There's no great incentive for buying a ST anymore, yes you get a slight discount (10% I think) but that's offset by having to buy a ticket for every game, there is going to be a couple of games you can't get to or don't have much of an interest in. The way they treated the ST holders wasn't good either, you could get a Cat A ticket for the Pro12 in the middle of the ground but you'd be extremely lucky to be between the 22s for a HEC game, then come a home Quarter Final you'd be in a bad spot.

Saying all that, the Old Thomond Park was only sold out for a couple of games a year, there used to be 1 HEC in Musgrave every year, I think things are just going back to normal to be honest but because of the size of the stadium there's no incentive to get a ST now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

touts wrote: »
    It isn't just Munster. You can still get tickets for all the Autumn Internationals including New Zealand on ticketmaster. A few years ago they would go in minutes. Also go to the FAI website and you can pick a ticket for tonights match in any section of the stadium. The GAA only sold out the All Ireland Finals. People just don't have the money.

And Dublin and cork having the biggest populations helped matters too.

If it was, for example Clare V Kilkenny in hurling or Kerry V Donegal 3 years in a row tickets could well be on ticketmaster for the All Ireland final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

About HEC ST. I complained the past two years but ramped it up this year about the fact I buy a seat in advance but people can buy from ticketmaster the day of the match and get a better seat. Completely stupid. I was given advice by MRSC this year prior to the ticket renewal and believe I have a much eyre seat now.

My rabo seat is so good i frequently find chancers in it who are actually seated 15 rows back or something

Yeah it's expensive to buy the membership and tickets but it's the only thing I really buy myself each year really of any value.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

How many are they expecting on Saturday-will it be around the 20,000 mark?Are Gloucester bringing many-they're fairly well supported & english fans do generally travel unlike their french counterparts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

Clareman wrote: »
    There's no great incentive for buying a ST anymore, yes you get a slight discount (10% I think) but that's offset by having to buy a ticket for every game, there is going to be a couple of games you can't get to or don't have much of an interest in. The way they treated the ST holders wasn't good either, you could get a Cat A ticket for the Pro12 in the middle of the ground but you'd be extremely lucky to be between the 22s for a HEC game, then come a home Quarter Final you'd be in a bad spot.

Saying all that, the Old Thomond Park was only sold out for a couple of games a year, there used to be 1 HEC in Musgrave every year, I think things are just going back to normal to be honest but because of the size of the stadium there's no incentive to get a ST now.

I know what you're saying but I do believe in supporting the team as much as I can ( as I do with my local Junior club) and as BB said on here, it's one of the few things I treat myself to. As long as I can afford it and as long as they don't take the p*ss price wise, I'll stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They did split the payments over 6 months instead of the previous 3 months which was helpful and the last payment went out last week even though there was a match on before the last payment.

sleepyman wrote: »
    How many are they expecting on Saturday-will it be around the 20,000 mark?Are Gloucester bringing many-they're fairly well supported & english fans do generally travel unlike their french counterparts.

I'd say it'll be close to capacity. Looking at ticketmaster there are only around 800 stand tickets left, 76 tickets left on the east terrace and the west terrace is sold out.

Between ST and "walk ins" I'd say it'll be a full house, 6 o'clock on a Saturday evening is a great time for a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gflann

Beer Baron wrote: »
    About HEC ST. I complained the past two years but ramped it up this year about the fact I buy a seat in advance but people can buy from ticketmaster the day of the match and get a better seat. Completely stupid. I was given advice by MRSC this year prior to the ticket renewal and believe I have a much eyre seat now.

My rabo seat is so good i frequently find chancers in it who are actually seated 15 rows back or something

Yeah it's expensive to buy the membership and tickets but it's the only thing I really buy myself each year really of any value.

The clubs pulled out on a lot for their commitments last year, when given the opportunity by Munster Rugby, hence the MRSC had a way better selection of ticket category this year for both Rabo & HEC.

gflann wrote: »
    The clubs pulled out on a lot for their commitments last year, when given the opportunity by Munster Rugby, hence the MRSC had a way better selection of ticket category this year for both Rabo & HEC.

Pro12 tickets were never a problem, I had a Cat A one right on the halfway line for years, my Cat A HEC ticket was on the 22, I went up to my Pro12 Seat for 1 game to see who was there to see a load of corporate folks there. IMVHO, Munster Rugby had it easy for a long time and didn't have to put in much effort, there was a waiting list of 5/10 year tickets, waiting list for Season tickets and Corporate Tickets were always the top dog, now because of the lack of pressure to get tickets people are picking and choosing their tickets for games.

Also, their model of charging HEC prices for Interpro games when there aren't full teams playing is poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Some excellent points made above lads, but, er..... who's buying my tickets? ;-)

€50 for the pair in these difficult times :-)

Bargain!

*PM me if interested.

Clareman wrote: »
    Also, their model of charging HEC prices for Interpro games when there aren't full teams playing is poor form.

They only charge that for the Leinster game. Ulster and Connacht are the same price as the other Pro12 games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Selling them for 15 euro in the colleges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'm actually in the opposite situation. I'm living within walking distance of Thomond these days, and I'm mad for Heineken cup tickets (bought the Gloucester ones from Ticketmaster).

I've been told I need to get tickets "through a rugby club" usually, but I'm not sure what exactly that means. I just ring up a club, ask to pay membership, and then ask for tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm a season ticket holder for both Musgrave & Thomond and it averages out at about €22 per game including membership of MRSC, to me that's great value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    I'm a season ticket holder for both Musgrave & Thomond and it averages out at about €22 per game including membership of MRSC, to me that's great value.

Just a ST holder for Thomond. Its great to see some if not all the bandwagonners are gone - although there were a few at the recent Leinster game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Mc Love wrote: »
    although there were a few at the recent Leinster game!

How do you identify them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well, maybe there are non bandwagoners who just can't afford to go?

Advertisement