Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is an off-licence

Options
  • 14-10-2013 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm having some difficulty finding a figure with how much they are so simple question:

How much are they?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Which off license? Is it trading, where is it, what's the turnover?

Like houses, there isn't a set price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Is it the licence cost you're after?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fresco_007

As in, just gathering some information on setting up an off licence and was just wondering the cost of the licence. Located in south Dublin.

Ah right, no set price, okay, I understand. So in other words to get an exact figure I'd have to apply and all that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Fresco_007 wrote: »
    As in, just gathering some information on setting up an off licence and was just wondering the cost of the licence. Located in south Dublin.

Ah right, no set price, okay, I understand. So in other words to get an exact figure I'd have to apply and all that?

you are asking a wrong question I think.

An Off-Licence is a style of retail outlet that sell alcohol - hence no set price as you could buy one for 50k in a small town or pay 200k in Dublin.

Possibly you are looking for the cost of a License to sell alcohol for consumption off the premises.

Its not my area, but I'm sure a call to any wine/spirit supplier will give you all the information you need.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/duties/excise-duty-rates.html
    Intoxicating Liquor Licences:

(4) Retailers' Off-Licences
    Retailer of Spirits €500
    Retailer of Beer €500
    Retailer of Cider €500
    Retailer of Wine €500
    Retailer of Sweets €500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I am surprised the licence is so low. Had an idea the licences are coming in sort of tens of thousands euro where in fact the highest bracket for pub comes at €3805 pa.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

€3805 is for a new restaurant (special license).

Are the other figures on that page renewal rates rather than the price of a new license?

My understanding is pub licenses are still generally transferred from previous licensed premises (large population increases excepted). I vaguely remember €75k being about the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

I'm pretty sure those prices quoted are to renew a license. To buy a license at the moment the going rate is about 50 - 70k from what I've heard. You need to buy a license from another Off License or a pub that is closing down. You can't simply apply for a license and then get it.

A few years back Lidl / Supervalu etc were buying licenses for 150 - 200k but the price has dropped dramatically. I know a guy who retired and sold his license for 170k about 7 years ago and was offered one recently for 35k. Even if you did get one for 35k you still need to lease / buy a premises , stock it, pay rates / staff / electricity etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

irish_goat wrote: »

Whats with the retailer of sweets.

If a pub sells sweets they pay another €500 for a licence??

So each licence is €500, beer, wine, spirits, cider, sweets, €2500 in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

€12 if I want to sell methy spirits. Pretty sure these are normally only sold in pharmacies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

And whats a bog premises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

relaxed wrote: »
    And whats a bog premises?

Bring own grog?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 craftbeer2014

talked to a solicitor last week, the licence alone ranges from 50-70k like a previous user mentioned, and you do have to extinguish the licence from a previous holder, meaning the city arent releasing any new licences. the e500 mentioned for beer, e500 for wine, e500 for spirits etc is the yearly renewal fee. So, e50k for licence, about e25k rent p/a (roughly for 700sq ft in Dublin), then inventory and staff, these are your main costs to get up and running!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i know a number of people whom have attempted independent off licences.

You really need to look at the margins and if theres a supermarket anywhere close you are not going to be able to compete and the craft route is quite challenging

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

talked to a solicitor last week, the licence alone ranges from 50-70k like a previous user mentioned, and you do have to extinguish the licence from a previous holder, meaning the city arent releasing any new licences. the e500 mentioned for beer, e500 for wine, e500 for spirits etc is the yearly renewal fee. So, e50k for licence, about e25k rent p/a (roughly for 700sq ft in Dublin), then inventory and staff, these are your main costs to get up and running!

How about rates?

Rates are all dependent on size and location of your premises, can be anywhere from e2k to e6k a year (guesstimate)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Rates are all dependent on size and location of your premises, can be anywhere from e2k to e6k a year (guesstimate)

Your rates could easily be 15k a year

not for a 700sq ft retail unit (like we were discussing)

Advertisement