Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate's Most Evil Character

• 14-10-2013 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

Love/Hate is one of the greatest dramas Ireland has ever done and it has created a reaction of love or hate among the population here. Addictive and entertaining for most, shocking for some, everyone agrees about how it realistically can portray drug related crime and its affects in Dublin and its hinterland. Now, Love/Hate has given us many characters we have grown to have love/hate relationships with. Now, who do you think are the most evil and ruthless? Here are some views on the main characters and a few notable minor ones:

1. Nidge: cunning, devious and efficient. The Nidge Weasel. Can talk his way out of any difficult situation and takes advantage of any situation and turns it around to his advantage. Will kill if need be, but always shows restraint and thinks about the future much moreso than others. Has the morals of JR Ewing sexually and in business too. Has a kind side and does look after his family and protects them from gangland as best he can. At present, he has many real and potential enemies: Dano, Lizzie and Wayne want him dead because he was involved in killing IRA men; he beat Tommy and he could turn against him; Fran is an ally but Nidge pipe bombed his house and maimed his girlfriend and also had an affair with her; the cops are getting more serious in taking him down. So, we can expect to see the Nidge man fighting for his very survival from all sides.

2. Fran: Fran has shown himself as a good friend to the other gangsters and like Nidge has a kind side. He is humorous and easygoing when things are going right for him: Fran the Man, coolaboola! However, he also has his darker moments with his use of dogs to cause fear in opponents and his mask designed to scare in the new series. Of course, his girlfriend committed suicide because of her injuries from a pip bomb attack during a war between Fran and John Boy. Of course, it was Fran's current ally and friend Nidge who reluctantly threw the pipe bomb. Also, Nidge had an affair with this girl. A big secret waiting to come out!!

3. Tommy: As characters go, he is as good as a character in gangland can possibly be. Kind to a fault, he is the one everyone from current girlfriend to prostitute Debbie to even Dano's girlfriend Georgina have turned to for comfort. He is the one to confide in when things go wrong, but he can often take his revulsion of others' he cares for's hurt to heart and come out with a very angry response: hence, his help in maiming rapist Git Loughman. Remains to be seen in S4 what will happen after he was attacked by Nidge. Most likely to work with cops to take the gangsters down?

4. Dano: Crazed IRA man, fanatic republican, out for revenge. His hatred of non-payed-up drug dealers was highlighted in S3 with a kneecapping of Aido (only he got the wrong man as Aido was paying). He acts before he thinks and also is a serious alcoholic, a troubled soul and a timebomb waiting to go off sometime soon in S4. Soft side is his love for his father and mother, who he will protect at all costs. Revenge for his father's death is his main story in series 3 and 4.

5. Darren: Darren was told by Mary, his sister, 'you are not like the others'. Darren cares for his and united with his ex girlfriend but yet while he has doubts about his involvement in crime, Darren has probably killed more people than Nidge, Dano and Fran combined. Some deservedly, some definitely not (Elmo's cousin's girlfriend). Nidge idolised him obviously and is tormented about his death.

6. Git: IRA man, rapist and womaniser. He is 100% dedicated republican but his soft spot was his love of racing pigeons. Also, he tried to restrain his son after the kneecapping of Aido. The rape he committed and the brutal death he received from Tommy and Darren is probably the most violent scene to date in Love/Hate (however, S4 will no doubt have one to top that).

7. John Boy: John Boy showed pragmatism and restraint in the early Love/Hate episodes but soon he was paranoid in much the same way Nidge is at present and in later S3 as well. John Boy idolises his daughter and allows his drugged up girlfriend to get out. His early exit from the series was unexpected but it showed he was not cunning enough for Nidge, Fran and Darren.

8. Hughie: John Boy's crazed, liability of a brother. John has his hands full protecting him and bailing him out of all his mistakes such as killing Darren's brother and a traveller. He ends up killing himself with a gun by accident.

9. Wayne: infamous for killing the cat, Wayne appears as an immature, trigger happy youth who needs to be controlled by his bosses. So far, he is a minor hitman character but I predict he will come a cropper with Nidge sooner or later.

10. Tony: IRA superior from Belfast. A friend of murdered Git, he is responsible for cleaning up the mess in the fallout of that murder. He has ordered Dano to show restraint and his intentions as of last night appear to keep Dano from killing Nidge so as for the CIRA to get all they can out of Nidge first. Of course, Dano is not obeying Tony's orders and things could swing around full circle with Dano being an unwanted nuisance to the IRA.

11. Lizzie: Like Dano, Lizzie is out for revenge. Her 2 brothers are dead and she killed Darren and wants Nidge gone too. Ironically, she fell in love with Darren but when she found out that he killed one of her brothers, she had him killed. She will be crucial in series four.

12. Luke: Perhaps the creepiest character in the series, season 2's middle to ending episodes were dominated by him. Introduced as Darren's friend, he is homeless (kicked out of his home), suffers from some mental disorder and is used by Darren/Nidge to do jobs inclusive of helping Darren in John Boy's assassination. His obsession with Darren's sister Mary is his most famous story. Although he does her no physical harm, he breaks into her house, watches her through the windows, etc. and scares her. Mary complains to Darren and then Darren first warns him (he does not obey) and then Darren and Nidge have him shot. He is one of the rare few that Nidge himself actually shoots.

13. Ado: Low level drug dealer, and lover of birds and fish. His flat is full of both. Supplied drugs to John Boy's girlfriend Debbie but escapes John Boy's wrath because of John Boy's death. For series 3 and 4 so far, he is firmly an ally of Nidge and Fran. Was a good friend to Darren but he betrayed Darren at the end of series 3.

14. Elmo: A cousin to Ado and another cousin was shot by Darren (Elmo and his dead cousin were framed for the murder of Git to save Nidge/Darren/Tommy from the IRA's wrath), he is notable for his survival. Played quite a big part in series 3 and is firmly back in the fold with Nidge and co at present.

15. Stumpy: The arch enemy of Darren along with Hughie. Stumpy beat his girlfriend Rosie (ex girlfriend and future girlfriend of Darren) and Darren wants revenge. Giving him a hiding earlier, Darren later gladly accepts to have him assassinated for John Boy. John Boy wrongly thinks he is a rat and Nidge, Tommy and of course Darren do nothing to dissuade this theory.

Who is the most evil Love/Hate character? 265 votes

Nidge
    0% 0 votes
    Fran
    14% 38 votes
    Tommy
    33% 90 votes
    Dano
    0% 1 vote
    Darren
    1% 3 votes
    Git
    3% 8 votes
    John Boy
    10% 27 votes
    Hughie
    10% 27 votes
    Wayne
    22% 60 votes
    Tony
    0% 1 vote
    Lizzie
    0% 1 vote
    Luke
    1% 4 votes
    Ado
    0% 2 votes
    Elmo
    0% 0 votes
    Stumpy
    1% 3 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

The Nidge character is a parody I really cant take him seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Hughie. Hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Hughie and Git have made a very lasting impression on people. Both were very messed up characters very capable of evil deeds as we have seen. Hughie if he had lived would have killed a load of characters. Ironically, his last victim was unintended: himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Voted Hughie, I was nervous watching every time he was on screen. A total nut job. Remember the scene where he killed the guy in the caravan ?:eek:

babygirlz wrote: »
    Voted Hughie, I was nervous watching every time he was on screen. A total nut job. Remember the scene where he killed the guy in the caravan ?:eek:

Yes, this was one of the most violent scenes from the entire series setting up other notable ones we see later such as the Aido kneecapping, the Git rape and murder, and the Fran toilet fight.

Hughie was totally deranged and lacked the pragmatism that the likes of Nidge, Fran and his brother John Boy showed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Elmo cause he is a RAT

ElmosWorldEars10.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

The paranoia displayed by Brian Gleeson’s Hughie was really well done, he was the best thing about series one by far and overall I’d say he was the most evil, but an honourable mention has to go to Fran for killing that joyrider, how old was that poor little fecker….

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Duggie2012

what about noelie hughes.......pretty vicious!!ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

After last night it kinda has to be Fran...

D-FENS wrote: »
    The paranoia displayed by Brian Gleeson’s Hughie was really well done, he was the best thing about series one by far and overall I’d say he was the most evil, but an honourable mention has to go to Fran for killing that joyrider, how old was that poor little fecker….

Hughie was evil and self destructive overall. His self inflicted death summed up his reckless character very well.

Fran is a great character too but much more levelheaded and clever. You rarely see the main characters like Fran and Nidge actually do any killing themselves. Fran killed that car rider (he was about 18 or so?) and Nidge killed Luke and that was it. They are much too clever for this.

• Advertisement

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    what about noelie hughes.......pretty vicious!!ha

Noelie Hughes is a vicious, violent character and it will be interesting to see where his character goes over the next few episodes. He is in custody at the moment. I'm sure he will be involved in the Nidge v Fran fallout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I think Fran for me, he's just a sick and sinister man and he's played brilliantly by Peter Coonan. He reminds me in a way of Ramsay Bolton in the Song of Ice and Fire books.

Highie was just a horrible little bastard. I hated the way he was bullying that kid who worked in the motor dealers. He gave the traveller an awful doing with the pool ball sock.

I think Fran for me, he's just a sick and sinister man and he's played brilliantly by Peter Coonan. He reminds me in a way of Ramsay Bolton in the Song of Ice and Fire books.

Highie was just a horrible little bastard. I hated the way he was bullying that kid who worked in the motor dealers. He gave the traveller an awful doing with the pool ball sock.

Fran is a brilliant character and Peter plays him perfectly. He has a combination of carefree joker meets sinister psychopath but he also possesses a sense of self control, restraint and moderation that ensures his survival so far.

Hughie's killing of the traveller showed us how evil and paranoid he was. Clearly, he was too evil to be clever and his death summed up his reckless character. The son of the motor dealer was very much afraid of him and the other gangsters did not approve of his treatment of that kid.

Overall, the most evil characters in Love/Hate tend to have minor roles and appear often only briefly. We think of the likes of Git and Stumpy. Hughie of course played a much bigger role.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Would have said Fran two weeks ago, but having watched season 1-3 since then to refresh the memory it has to be Hughie for me. Can only imagine how things would go if they crossed paths.

That said, I think Wayne has right potential in him to be an evil little bastard, particularly evident where he shows no soft touch in wanting to clip Nidge at his Mum's funeral. The cat is barely worth the mention given his reaction, he barely blinked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Fran seems to have a bit of a woman issue, be it the teenage girl hostage he enjoyed terrifying and later rough handling when she tried to escape, or the way he enjoyed threatened Siobhan's mate. And from memory he cared **** all about his wife's suicide. A touch of Ralphie from The Sopranos about him, it might be leading somewhere badly sinister, particularly perhaps when it sinks in that Siobhan scuppered his plans to off Tommy.

Fran seems to have a bit of a woman issue, be it the teenage girl hostage he enjoyed terrifying and later rough handling when she tried to escape, or the way he enjoyed threatened Siobhan's mate. And from memory he cared **** all about his wife's suicide. A touch of Ralphie from The Sopranos about him, it might be leading somewhere badly sinister, particularly perhaps when it sinks in that Siobhan scuppered his plans to off Tommy.

Watched it recently and with regards his wife's suicide; he seemed more angry that someone had crossed him by doing this to his wife which ultimately resulted in her suicide than actually being upset over losing her. No tears were shed anyway and he seemed more angry than upset, then again that us the type of personality Fran is. Although it wasn't long after that Fran was with another bird with the same name, same colour hair and a few other similarities as his dead wife and not a bother on him, loving life so he was.

loveBBhate wrote: »
    Would have said Fran two weeks ago, but having watched season 1-3 since then to refresh the memory it has to be Hughie for me. Can only imagine how things would go if they crossed paths.

That said, I think Wayne has right potential in him to be an evil little bastard, particularly evident where he shows no soft touch in wanting to clip Nidge at his Mum's funeral. The cat is barely worth the mention given his reaction, he barely blinked.

Having just watched last night's episode a second time, I have a feeling that this dentist could be more than he seems too. Do we have a Breaking Bad-style professional turn to a career of crime and rise as a major player in this dentist (who also happens to be an accountant as well)?

Wayne is a nasty piece of work and will do some awful things in the coming three weeks I'm sure but he will not survive the season I would feel somehow. Hughie was definitely the most evil major character (Fran has his good traits as well as his bad, same with Nidge, Darren, etc.) but some of the significant minor characters especially Git and Stumpy also tended to be the most evil too.

But Andrew the dentist I have a feeling will be the big surprise package. First we saw him as a pathetic and violent drunk in episode 1, then as a broke victim who is controlled by Nidge and Fran in episode 2, but last night, we saw him showing an interest in being employed as a financial professional who could cook the books for the gangsters as well as bring in the gear legit. Nidge needs him and I saw Nidge's attitude of him turn from mocking his sorry and worthless position to seeing him as very useful and someone to use.

I have a feeling this dentist will enjoy being a gangster too much and will make more money working for/with Nidge than he could ever imagine. He could well turn into a major challenger to Nidge if he gets brave and season 5 may be all about him.

Having just watched last night's episode a second time, I have a feeling that this dentist could be more than he seems too. Do we have a Breaking Bad-style professional turn to a career of crime and rise as a major player in this dentist (who also happens to be an accountant as well)?

Holy **** I hope not. We get to a stage of 100% realism finally what with Darren gone and now people reckon a D4 dentist running around North Wall with guns and bags of gear would be a good plot?

I can see them talking him into stuff like smuggling and storing drugs/ weapons on his proprety, but showing him putting in actual work itself would be cringeworthy. And in a real life situation involving and later killing a guy of his background just invites too much Garda and media interest.

Holy **** I hope not. We get to a stage of 100% realism finally what with Darren gone and now people reckon a D4 dentist running around North Wall with guns and bags of gear would be a good plot?

I can see them talking him into stuff like smuggling and storing drugs/ weapons on his proprety, but showing him putting in actual work itself would be cringeworthy. And in a real life situation involving and later killing a guy of his background just invites too much Garda and media interest.

I have a feeling that this dentist is more than meets the eye. Of course, he is capable of violence as episode 1 showed us. He has transformed from reluctant debtor to Nidge to one who wants to extend his relationship with the gang and work with them.

A professional turning into a drug dealer is of course not rare. In the real world, Egyptian doctor Ayman Zawahiri flushed his medical career down the drain in favour of becoming the world's biggest terrorist and heroin dealer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Speaking of Hughie, have the writers ever said
    why he was killed off so early
    ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Aotearoa

fair city with cursing. over rated. all fur coat and no knickers. the wire it is not.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Speaking of Hughie, have the writers ever said
    why he was killed off so early
    ?

Given his personality I think it was inevitable really. He made so many enemies and the only thing that seemed to be keeping him from getting clipped was the fact that he was John Boy's brother-in-law. Hughie had no place without John Boy imo. Given that it was written for John Boy to be clipped I think Hughie had to go with him, and before him he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

John Boy, hands down. And because he kept Hughie around, knowing how dangerous he was.

Aotearoa wrote: »
    fair city with cursing. over rated. all fur coat and no knickers. the wire it is not.

Spot on. Threw what I thought was Love/Hate on the last night and after 20 minutes it occurred to me that there had been no cursing. Pressed the 'select' button on the Sky remote and it turns out I had been watching Fair City, sickened I was.

Given his personality I think it was inevitable really. He made so many enemies and the only thing that seemed to be keeping him from getting clipped was the fact that he was John Boy's brother-in-law. Hughie had no place without John Boy imo. Given that it was written for John Boy to be clipped I think Hughie had to go with him, and before him he did.

His relation to John Boy were the only thing that saved him and John Boy protected him and dug him out of trouble all the time. Hughie used this to his advantage and probably considered himself invincible.

Amazingfun wrote: »
    John Boy, hands down. And because he kept Hughie around, knowing how dangerous he was.

Hughie was a bit of a blind spot for John Boy. It was obvious that no matter what Hughie did, John Boy would come to the rescue. After his death, John had a picture of him painted flanked by famous leaders. For all of series 2, John was haunted by him.

Reviewing the poll: Hughie is in the lead (deservedly for sure). The two current main characters of Fran (second place) and Nidge (third place) follow with John Boy and IRA, rapist and pigeon breeder Git in fourth and fifth respectively.

Darren and Stumpy come sixth and seventh with Dano, Lizzie and Elmo joined eighth after that. In ninth place are Luke and Tommy.

Tony, Ado and (despite killing the cat!) Wayne have yet to receive any votes and must be the least evil characters in the show.

Another thing too about Hughie, while we see the worst of the likes if him and Fran when their tempers at a high, Hughie was even a heartless abs evil person in a calm state of mind. His behaviour at Robbie's funeral comes to mind, mouthing off to Stumpy, giving out about the food, etc... at least their are some glimpses or decency in Fran (his love for his dogs, even though he uses them for all the wrong reasons but the love is there haha) Naming them two as small examples, a few more throughout the series.

Another thing too about Hughie, while we see the worst of the likes if him and Fran when their tempers at a high, Hughie was even a heartless abs evil person in a calm state of mind. His behaviour at Robbie's funeral comes to mind, mouthing off to Stumpy, giving out about the food, etc... at least their are some glimpses or decency in Fran (his love for his dogs, even though he uses them for all the wrong reasons but the love is there haha) Naming them two as small examples, a few more throughout the series.

That is true. Hughie was pitched as 100% evil character. Fran, Nidge, John Boy, Darren, Dano, etc. are all pitched as far more complex characters where there is a mix of good and evil in them. We saw Nidge's kinder side last Sunday and Fran has a genuine love for his dogs and went out of his way to help Nidge and co out with the IRA issue last year.

• Advertisement

Now that I think about it given that I was reminded about the rape scene by BuilderPlumber's post, I'd have Git up there ahead of Fran, maybe even Hughie. While the likes of Hughie and Fran are given plenty on time on screen to show just how evil they can be, Git isms given what? One episode? That rape scene was one of the most disturbing scenes I've seen on television, nevermimd Love/Hate. I can only imagine what else he was capable of.

Fran, while he throws the odd slap (Donna/teenage girl) I don't know if he'd have it in him to be a violent rapist, Hughie too.

Now that I think about it given that I was reminded about the rape scene by BuilderPlumber's post, I'd have Git up there ahead of Fran, maybe even Hughie. While the likes of Hughie and Fran are given plenty on time on screen to show just how evil they can be, Git isms given what? One episode? That rape scene was one of the most disturbing scenes I've seen on television, nevermimd Love/Hate. I can only imagine what else he was capable of.

Fran, while he throws the odd slap (Donna/teenage girl) I don't know if he'd have it in him to be a violent rapist, Hughie too.

For me, it is between Hughie, Git and Stumpy as most evil character on the show so far.

Fran is pragmatic and has self control. His relationship with Tommy will be very interesting. It seems Fran will want to topple Nidge and Fran and Tommy could tell each other some secrets. For now, Fran sees Tommy as gone in the head and has contemplated killing him. However, Fran could end up telling Tommy it was Nidge who hit him and Tommy could then tell Fran about the pipe bomb. I predict their relationship will improve and both's relations with Nidge will become poor.

Fran has no interest in rape or any cruelty for the sake of it. Same with Nidge. Fran's main motive is to make money, reach the top and protect himself from any threats around him. He currently sees Tommy as a threat (but less so now) and will see him as an ally very soon I'd say. He sees Nidge as vulnerable at present and Nidge also has to protect himself from a load of threats.

What makes characters like Fran and Nidge (and even Dano) very interesting is that they are not all bad. There are glimpses of decency there and you can see them do something bad one minute and then turn around and do something kind the next. Even with Git we saw this: yes, he raped Siobhan but he also was kind to his pigeons and did not approve of the Ado kneecapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

has to be nidge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Hughie all day long he was a pure bully and a psycho I mean his own brother could barely control him I shudder to imagine how john boy and hughie would have dealt with the IRA lads

Hughie all day long he was a pure bully and a psycho I mean his own brother could barely control him I shudder to imagine how john boy and hughie would have dealt with the IRA lads

Nidge had it difficult enough reigning in Darren after Ado's kneecapping with Darren pipebombing Dano's car. I'd say John Boy would have an even worse time with Hughie should they have been in the same situation.

R

Tony, Ado and (despite killing the cat!) Wayne have yet to receive any votes and must be the least evil characters in the show.

After John Boy died the writers seem to have re wrote Aido as a lovable rogue and forgotten about the time he near on tried to rape Debbie when they were doing heroin in the pub jacks :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hughie for me - no redeeming features in his character.
    After John Boy died the writers seem to have re wrote Aido as a lovable rogue and forgotten about the time he near on tried to rape Debbie when they were doing heroin in the pub jacks :confused:
    Maybe in the last series, but wouldn't see much lovable about him this series so far tbh!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Hughie for me - no redeeming features in his character.

Maybe in the last series, but wouldn't see much lovable about him this series so far tbh!

He was a kind of neutral on the tiger robbery. Not as evil as Fran, not as soft as Tommy.

Apart from that though he seems to have been portrayed as a bit of a soft eejit since JB died, with his care for the fish and his parrot (or budgie) and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Hughie!

He was a complete psychopath.

He was a kind of neutral on the tiger robbery. Not as evil as Fran, not as soft as Tommy.

Apart from that though he seems to have been portrayed as a bit of a soft eejit since JB died, with his care for the fish and his parrot (or budgie) and all.

Fran wanted to keep it under control here. Tommy was very soft here and his conscience got the better of him.

The Love/Hate characters have different personalities. Ado was a darker drugged up character early on but true series 3 and 4 show him as soft idiot who is of no threat to anyone.

Interestingly, Fran was in series 2 portrayed as a dark, menacing low level criminal but always with a pragmatic self control. In series 3, he was presented often as the comic relief (a much softer character) but a much bigger player (he was to all intents and purposes Nidge's second in command by episode 5/6 of the third series). Series 4 seems to so far have a mix of the two Fran's: he is No. 2 and wants to be No. 1 and needs to use threats and charm both to their full advantage to survive.

Ado and Elmo are always there in the middle. They first are accused of something and didn't do it and then the main gangsters use them and they usually cock up.

Holsten wrote: »
    Hughie!

He was a complete psychopath.

I will be watching all 4 series from the start once season 4 finishes and will freshen my mind with all things Hughie but from what I recall, he never once did anything 'nice' in the series and this sets him apart from Nidge, Fran, John Boy, Dano and others who all did nicer as well as nastier things.

• Advertisement

With 7 of the above characters now dead (Dano being the latest), it will be interesting how things pan out for the survivors.

It was ironic the way Dano was killed: his first scenes in series three was him kneecapping Ado and his last scene was he been given a fatal version of the same treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I will be watching all 4 series from the start once season 4 finishes and will freshen my mind with all things Hughie but from what I recall, he never once did anything 'nice' in the series and this sets him apart from Nidge, Fran, John Boy, Dano and others who all did nicer as well as nastier things.

Theres nobody outwardly evil in this series - they fight among themselves and among themselves the teeth are bared. Fact is anyone of them would open the door for your mum and say please and thanks in a shop.
    If you live in Dublin the odds are you've sat beside one or two of their real life equivalents on a DART or a bus....they're not the halfwits smoking in the backseat upstairs looking to be lifted.
    That said -
    My vote: Fran...I've been loaded on mushies and poitin too - I did not bring a gun and I wasn't alone on a hillside.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

I voted for Fran, especially after last night's episode, he's one sick f**k.

I know he has some good qualities but I think this makes him more evil to me. He can be the happy go lucky chap, but upset him and he turn on you as quick. With Hughie you knew what you were getting, its Fran's unpredictable feature that makes him the most evil for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Git for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I know he has some good qualities but I think this makes him more evil to me. He can be the happy go lucky chap, but upset him and he turn on you as quick. With Hughie you knew what you were getting, its Fran's unpredictable feature that makes him the most evil for me.

I wasn't the slightest bit upset and disturbed by anything i saw in Love/Hate during it's 4 seasons but i found the whole Franno and the digging up the corpse thing to be very disturbing.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

These are the qualities that makes Fran such a great character. He is a different person in all the three series he was in. In series two, he was introduced as a dark character who threatened captured enemies with his dogs and whose main story involved a gang war with John Boy which caused his girlfriend's death (with Nidge being the guy who pipebombed Fran's house, causing her injuries and her suicide: an issue to explode back on our screen very soon in the coming episode I'd say). In series three, he was a more laid back easygoing character summed up by the phrase 'coolaboola'. In series four so far, we see more exploration of the darker Fran and his emotional side comes out with his mistaken/drunken attack on Deano.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Patricktom

Lizzie was an evil tart to smash up the lad she rammed into. A bad woman driver with a physcopathic streak

Theres nobody outwardly evil in this series - they fight among themselves and among themselves the teeth are bared. Fact is anyone of them would open the door for your mum and say please and thanks in a shop.
    If you live in Dublin the odds are you've sat beside one or two of their real life equivalents on a DART or a bus....they're not the halfwits smoking in the backseat upstairs looking to be lifted.
    That said -
    My vote: Fran...I've been loaded on mushies and poitin too - I did not bring a gun and I wasn't alone on a hillside.

That is true and the series shows how normal life goes on with them as well as their gangland behaviours. One minute they are beating up some opponent or mixing drugs or killing someone or being threatened themselves and the next they are at their children's communion or getting married or having a laugh in a pub or whatever.

The thing is that all the main characters especially Nidge and Fran are extremely likeable in a funny kind of way! They are very engaging and you care about what happens to them.

Patricktom wrote: »
    Lizzie was an evil tart to smash up the lad she rammed into. A bad woman driver with a physcopathic streak

I'm sure we will see more of Lizzie. But who will she be working with now? I presume to Tony, she is no better than Dano.

She indeed is very quiet but she also can hurt and kill when needed as she has proven.

Git for sure

Git certainly proved how evil he was in just one episode. And despite he just being in one episode, his part was responsible for all the main stories in series 3 and 4 including the deals with Tony, the killing of Darren, the attempted hit on Nidge, Tommy's attack and subsequent problems, and the slaying of Dano.

• Advertisement
Advertisement