Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iceland

• 14-10-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

They win they have a playoff to get to the world cup tommorow and even drawing or losing they could still have a playoff.
    There under 21s are leading there euro group from France.

For a tiny country who arent known for there footballing abilitys what have they done lately?
    Why the sudden success?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Just from reading an article about them last month it seems to be mainly down to their manager Lagerback who used to manage Sweden.

There is always a surprise team that make it into the play-offs, they'll definitely be the "Estonia" in the draw if they make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Why the sudden success?

They're in a very poor group in qualifying and have lost 3 out of their 9 games. They're not exactly taking anyone by storm. If they get to the play-offs then obviously it'll be a success for such a small nation but not particularly amazing given the group they have.

As for their U-21s, they're 3 points ahead of France but France have a game in hand and a superior goal difference.

Nothing particularly remarkable going on in Icelandic football at the minute, IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

They win they have a playoff to get to the world cup tommorow and even drawing or losing they could still have a playoff.
    There under 21s are leading there euro group from France.

For a tiny country who arent known for there footballing abilitys what have they done lately?
    Why the sudden success?

Theyve a couple of quality players in sigurdsson, sigthorsson and finnboggason aswell as a few others knocking about the bigger leagues in europe. Theyve also probably the easiest and open qualifying group in years id say.

Hipsters choice worldcup 2014!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Think I heard that if they qualify they'll be the smallest nation to play in the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I'd say arguably Iceland's best performance in a campaign to date was the 2004 Euro qualifiers. They finished 3rd in their group behind Germany and Scotland and missed the play-offs by one point. As such a play-off this time around would (on paper) at least already be their greatest achievement.

However, I think a large reason they're doing so well this time around is down to the opposition. I imagine most countries would have been delighted to find themselves in this particular group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Just from reading an article about them last month it seems to be mainly down to their manager Lagerback who used to manage Sweden.

There is always a surprise team that make it into the play-offs, they'll definitely be the "Estonia" in the draw if they make it.
    With all due respect, they are a good deal better than Estonia. Estonia had nobody of the quality of Sigurdsson or Gunnarsson.

The likes of Iceland this year and Latvia qualifying in 2004 makes a mockery of many Irish people argument that we don't have the numbers required to properly compete. Which of course is total bull. It's not the quantity of the pick, it's the quality. How well the game is coached in a country and the systems in place to support a decent domestic league are what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

grenache wrote: »
    With all due respect, they are a good deal better than Estonia. Estonia had nobody of the quality of Sigurdsson or Gunnarsson.

The likes of Iceland this year and Latvia qualifying in 2004 makes a mockery of many Irish people argument that we don't have the numbers required to properly compete. Which of course is total bull. It's not the quantity of the pick, it's the quality. How well the game is coached in a country and the systems in place to support a decent domestic league are what matters.
    For real? We have qualified for more tournaments over the past 20 years than both Latvia and Iceland combined. They have zero between then yet these are the example that we can compete????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

We were a single typo away from a play off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Think I heard that if they qualify they'll be the smallest nation to play in the World Cup.

Twice the size of Ireland.....smallest population maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Twice the size of Ireland.....smallest population maybe?

Yeah that's what I meant . Smallest population .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Soups123 wrote: »
    For real? We have qualified for more tournaments over the past 20 years than both Latvia and Iceland combined. They have zero between then yet these are the example that we can compete????

Just to point out that Latvia qualified for Euro 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Just to point out that Latvia qualified for Euro 2004.

I had that in my head and couldn't be arsed googling! Remember it now though :)

We still beat them both on the combined total though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Greece are probably the template for a smaller nation punching above their weight. Even then it's slightly straw clutching as they've a decent domestic league to draw from.

Having clubs in the CL group stages means **** all either if Scotland are anything to by. They're probably the closest to us in a comparative sense in that anyone that's anyways decent gets snapped up by PL/Championship clubs.

It's difficult to pick a nation in Europe to use as a template for us tbh. We're pretty unique. My own take is that it would probably help if we had more players going the Seamie Coleman/Kevin Doyle/Shane Long route over to England. It'd help the LOI in that the 'stars of tomorrow' might entice more people to come to grounds and make the league better as a whole while the youngsters would get regular games in a competitive environment. That's a simplistic view unfortunately I think and the machinations of coaching and money would chew it up.

At the moment we need a tactically astute coach to maximise what we have. We don't have any world class or even excellent players at the moment. Look at Wales; Bale, Ramsey and Williams are streets ahead of what we have in the same positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Croatia and Uruguay are surely the templates for small nations who have put together quality teams.

Both have similar populations to us (both probably a bit less actually when you consider we have much of Northern Ireland to choose from too).

Ireland has a similar footballing culture to England, and is thus probably suffering similar problems to them, albeit on a smaller scale. It is quite clear that we have a severe lack of technical players in our squad.

I don't think we're neccessarily underachieving hugely. Croatia and Uruguay are doing exceptionally well and reaching that level would be an incredible achievement for us. But we could be doing better, even given our small size. We have a long history in the game, a lot of people here are football mad, and we've achieved in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

cson wrote: »
    Greece are probably the template for a smaller nation punching above their weight. Even then it's slightly straw clutching as they've a decent domestic league to draw from.

Having clubs in the CL group stages means **** all either if Scotland are anything to by. They're probably the closest to us in a comparative sense in that anyone that's anyways decent gets snapped up by PL/Championship clubs.

It's difficult to pick a nation in Europe to use as a template for us tbh. We're pretty unique. My own take is that it would probably help if we had more players going the Seamie Coleman/Kevin Doyle/Shane Long route over to England. It'd help the LOI in that the 'stars of tomorrow' might entice more people to come to grounds and make the league better as a whole while the youngsters would get regular games in a competitive environment. That's a simplistic view unfortunately I think and the machinations of coaching and money would chew it up.

At the moment we need a tactically astute coach to maximise what we have. We don't have any world class or even excellent players at the moment. Look at Wales; Bale, Ramsey and Williams are streets ahead of what we have in the same positions.

True - going back to a lack of technical players for Ireland. McCarthy, McCeady, Brady maybe is probably the best we have to offer.

You could probably include Joe Allen on that Wales list too, as a player who looks very comfortable and assured with the ball at his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Had to be done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

grenache wrote: »

I'm not saying they are any better or worse than Estonia, just that they will be the weakest team in the draw that every other country will want to get, just like Estonia in the last playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Officially in the play offs now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Lucky they were in an easy group to be honest. Was over there for an Inter-toto cup match when Cork city knocked Valur out.

Its a fantastic country though. They don't have football clubs as such but sporting clubs so you would have say Handball teams attached to the same club. Sport is big over there and they are a big force in Handball getting a silver medal at the 2008 Olympics.

If you want to see a football match and then go out for a wild night followed by the next week or two seeking sights that look like they come from the centre of the Earth then Iceland is the place for you.

BTW as someone who can remember vividly remember the terrible war in Bosnia and the truly awful things that happened there I just think its great that Bosnia have qualified.

Was actually in that country as well - to see some of the graves in Mostar with markers showing all the same date of death of young men I think its great that they have made it to the WC and I hope they do really well. Hopefully it will be a good nation building exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Morzadec wrote: »
    Croatia and Uruguay are surely the templates for small nations who have put together quality teams.

Both have similar populations to us (both probably a bit less actually when you consider we have much of Northern Ireland to choose from too).

Ireland has a similar footballing culture to England, and is thus probably suffering similar problems to them, albeit on a smaller scale. It is quite clear that we have a severe lack of technical players in our squad.

I don't think we're neccessarily underachieving hugely. Croatia and Uruguay are doing exceptionally well and reaching that level would be an incredible achievement for us. But we could be doing better, even given our small size. We have a long history in the game, a lot of people here are football mad, and we've achieved in the past.

neither uruguay nor croatia lose the same amount of players to other sports that Ireland would. GAA and rugby eat into the playing squad available. I reckon GAA especially....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

I am pie wrote: »
    neither uruguay nor croatia lose the same amount of players to other sports that Ireland would. GAA and rugby eat into the playing squad available. I reckon GAA especially....

That old chesnut. Croatia in particular would have other sports that soak up talent on a similar scale to the GAA and Rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I wish iceland the very best.

Happy for Bosnia too.

I won't lie though its tough watching teams that you know you can at least match getting to the finals. I'm sure same was said about us for previous Euros.

Wish them well. Hope Iceland pull it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Alias G wrote: »
    That old chesnut. Croatia in particular would have other sports that soak up talent on a similar scale to the GAA and Rugby.

Really, go on....

Uruguay do not. No country in South America does.

Really, go on....

Biggest sport in Venezuela? Have a guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Biggest sport in Venezuela? Have a guess!

I know I know. Its baseball! Yay what do I win??

dan1895 wrote: »
    I know I know. Its baseball! Yay what do I win??

Tango Dancing with me - its the biggest sport in Argentina! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Not overall but in some regions of Argentina, Rugby would be more popular than football, Mendoza for example. Polo is also popular there. Argentina's bloody huge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Really, go on....

Basketball, Ice Hockey, Handball and Tennis all big in Croatia

Czechs, Slovaks and all the North Europeans are mad into Ice Hockey. There was a big riot in Canada recently over an Ice Hockey match. A pub I go to when I'm down in Cork which is frequented by a lot of foreigners (it has great beers) often has Ice Hockey games on. The last time I was there the place was jammed with Slovak Ice Hockey fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

dan1895 wrote: »
    Not overall but in some regions of Argentina, Rugby would be more popular than football, Mendoza for example. Polo is also popular there. Argentina's bloody huge though.

Rugby is only going to get bigger in Argentina too since they now play in the championship along with South Africa, New Zealand and the Aussies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I wish iceland the very best.

Happy for Bosnia too.

I won't lie though its tough watching teams that you know you can at least match getting to the finals. I'm sure same was said about us for previous Euros.

Wish them well. Hope Iceland pull it off.

The only team in the play offs I'd give us a chance against would be Iceland. The rest would be very tough games. Bosnia are better than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Alias G wrote: »
    Basketball, Ice Hockey, Handball and Tennis all big in Croatia

Uruguayans love a bit of handball too.

Luis%20Suarez%20handball-thumb-590x371-45941.jpg

Be honest if I was the Uruguay manager or supporter and Suarez did not handle the ball I be well pissed. He did right thing.

Call it what you like.

Johner wrote: »
    The only team in the play offs I'd give us a chance against would be Iceland. The rest would be very tough games. Bosnia are better than us.

I agree.

Not sure how good Romania are at minute, but on paper they would be the only other side I give us some decent chance of beating. Still be underdogs all same.

Advertisement