Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of furnishing a home, 2013!

• 14-10-2013 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,
    I'm currently getting my figures together and am considering buying my first home in the coming year. It will either be a 3 or 4 bed house, and I am wondering if anyone has bought a similar property in recent times and roughly how much it cost to furnish it?
    I'm not one of expensive tastes and as it's my first home I can see many hours spent asssembling Ikea's finest, but this sort of thing doesnt bother me in the least!
    All help and advice is welcome, I'm obviously extremely nervous at this massive undertaking!
    Regards,
    SureIDontKnow (Appropriate username!)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note - There is a price/costs forum, any better there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 SureIDontKnow

Hi,

Sorry I'm a total newbie! Yes that is fine, where is that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hi,

Sorry I'm a total newbie! Yes that is fine, where is that?

Mod Note -> Your grand, I will move it for you.

Great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

Maybe it is me but your question is very hard to answer unless you give some indication of what you want. Do yo need a kitchen fitted? How many beds? How big are the beds? 1,2,3 piece sofa suite? Table and chairs? carpets? Timber floors? New bathroom suites? Tiles? Lamps? lighting? Doors? skirting? Furnishing a house can be any of the above. If it helps I have spent close €50,000 finishing a 230Msq house. I could have probably done it for €35,000 with cheaper material.

• Advertisement

Hi fealeranger,

Thanks for your help. I'm hoping to buy something with a kitchen which will do for a few years anyway, so that is not included. I suppose I'm looking at the usuals (e.g. washing machine, fridges, microwave, kitchen utensils, etc) and furnishing for a sitting room, and 3-4 bedrooms. I guess there are curtains, blinds, etc which must go on top of that.

I'm not one of expensive tastes and would expect to go fairly cheap for the initial purchase on most stuff, prob spend a bit more on sitting room and main bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Why don't you make a list of what you would like in each room, and pop it up here?

So Bedroom 1
    Bed
    Bedside table
    Medium wardrobe

Bedroom 2
    Bed
    etc
    etc

And when you have your lists and people on here are thinking, go on to the ikea website and just find each item and write down the price beside the item on the list. Then add it all up and your done!
    Putting it on here might help you see if you've forgotten anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 snapslam

bought our first house about 3 months ago and still haven't finished furnishing it... its a 3 bed but 2 bedrooms aren't used so we treat them more like storage space. There was a kitchen already in it so we just got appliances in Argos-their prices were the cheapest at that time and they always have a sale on something. Bought a fridge, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer for around €1000 all good makes not the cheapest. Got a big dining table with 6 leather chairs for €250 on donedeal also worth looking at ours was only 6 months old. Sofas were bought in ikea for around €1100 huge 3+2 seaters one is a sofabed (that's where our guests sleep for now). Bed+ memory foam mattress, 2 bedside lockers and chest of drawers was around €1000 at Ikea as well. That's just the basics now we're slowly adding things like mirrors curtains, lampshades etc.. Another big spend was paint as every room in the house had to be painted. You probably need to write a list or two. One with things you would need immediately and the other with the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Get high quality second hand furniture for your living room. I have a beautiful Natuzzi brown leather suite, which would have cost 3,500 new.

Paid 400 for it, and it looks incredible.

Advertisement