Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to get Puppy Spayed

• 14-10-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for advice. Have a puppy who is coming up on 6 months old (maybe there already as not exactly sure when she was born. Question is should I get her spayed before she goes through her first heat or should I get it done before. Hearing different things off different people.

All input appreciated:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What type of dog is she? My retriever pup is 5 months next week and we're going to let her have 1 heat so she can grow/mature before getting it done. I'm a bit freaked/stressed out about how we're going to deal with it tbh but already have 1 dog with bone/joint problems so not taking any chances with the pup. Once she's ready I'm going to go for the keyhole option for her as it's less invasive and has a faster recovery time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

My dog is just back from the vet after a spay. She has 3 stitches. She is just 6kg. Not a bother on her. I have a soft cone of shame for her in case it is needed.

Most of my dogs are show dogs, if getting a bitch spayed I always get it done when they are mature usually after a 3rd heat or retired from breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crazybaldhead

Thanks for replies. She is a JRT X and is just over 5kgs now. Was told by the pound when I got her to have her spayed at 6 months so its on my mind now.

Never heard of the keyhole option, is that a more expensive alternative? Assuming it is

Thanks for replies. She is a JRT X and is just over 5kgs now. Was told by the pound when I got her to have her spayed at 6 months so its on my mind now.

Never heard of the keyhole option, is that a more expensive alternative? Assuming it is

Yeah it's more expensive. My pup is around 11-12kgs and growing so it's a bigger operation for her than a smaller dog so bigger wound etc Keyhole will be easier for everyone to deal with so the best option for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Had my lab done at 6 months before her first heat. Vet informed me that getting done before her first heat reduces the possibility of breast cancers etc.

She is 2.5 years old now and not a bother on her!

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    Had my lab done at 6 months before her first heat. Vet informed me that getting done before her first heat reduces the possibility of breast cancers etc.

She is 2.5 years old now and not a bother on her!

Times and opinions have changed but unfortunately some vets still push clients to neuter/spay too early. It's better to wait for larger breeds to mature before spaying/neutering to avoid joint issues, bone cancers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crazybaldhead

Is it just for larger breeds? I reckon mine wont get too much bigger than she is!

Advertisement