Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Media and Web Development?

Options
  • 14-10-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hello,
    I'm hoping someone on here could share some light on this course for me. Since i've been searching for a good while and to no avail, I thought, who better to ask that the students themselves.

I'm a sixth year student, hopefully wanting to put this course down as my first choice on my CAO come the 5th of November. I have a few questions though.
    and Yes, before you mention it, I am attending the open day next week, but I want to get my facts straight.

Is the course actually good? I've heard mixed reviews.
    I've had an interest in computing all my life, I already know a good degree of HTML/CSS if that is of any help. But it's the Creative Media idea that is really pulling me towards this course. Is there much of that in the course or is it all entirely web development?

Is a good knowledge of maths needed, or is the course do able with a basic knowledge? (I'm struggling at ordinary level, but I am willing to work and study towards it in college if needed. I just think the LC maths system is so flawed.)

Is there any known requirements for the course? I wasn't able to find any when I went looking :)

Is the course predominantly males? I'm a female, so i'm wondering if I'd be one of a few female's in a bunch of guys.

What is the general career path once I would be finished? Would I go on to be a web developer, or if I pursued the media path a bit more would I be better off?

Sorry for all these ridiculous questions, my mind is so confused at the moment, but most importantly. I just wish to know if you made such a decision and your opinion on the course now. Is it worth someone like me pursuing it? and if you have any tips or anything i'd be grateful :)

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

year one is mixed quite a lot of differentiation.

Timetable (if it works)

mostly male, I know a female who did course and left in second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

T-Bird wrote: »

I knew myself that the first year was mixed with all the other computing courses, which suits me fairly well as I have a few friends who hope to go to the same college just different computing courses so it'd be nice to see a friendly face.

I feel like i'm going to be the only woman in a pile of men. Pity i'm off the single market, would of been handy :P

Would you know of anyone I could contact to ask some questions? thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jason.L

I Realise T-Bird sent you a PM, but I'm also sending you one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Silverman11

I'm hoping to transfer into this course next year from Galway. Any opinions as regards difficulty?

• Advertisement

I am starting this course in September and I need a new laptop. What requirements that my new laptop will need to suit this course.
    Would an Apple Macbook be a good choice.

Also as the first post mentioned what job opportunities would there be related to the creative media side rather than the web development side.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Yabazza

There are opportunites for the likes of animators, games designers, web & graphic designers, video editors etc. I don't think there's any need to spend a fortune on a laptop at this stage, just try and get one with plenty of RAM and a decent processor and you're sorted. A MacBook is overkill, in my opinion.

I'm starting this course myself in a couple of weeks, see you there.

Yabazza wrote: »
    There are opportunites for the likes of animators, games designers, web & graphic designers, video editors etc. I don't think there's any need to spend a fortune on a laptop at this stage, just try and get one with plenty of RAM and a decent processor and you're sorted. A MacBook is overkill, in my opinion.

I'm starting this course myself in a couple of weeks, see you there.

Cheers. I'm going into second year because I am transferring from NUIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FatSnacks

Would a laptop with an i3 processor and 4-8GB of RAM be enough for the workload of this course or would I need an i5 or an i7?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

FatSnacks wrote: »
    Would a laptop with an i3 processor and 4-8GB of RAM be enough for the workload of this course or would I need an i5 or an i7?

i3 is fine. Unless you're doing Games where in later years where you might be dealing with 3D models any decent modern PC is fine for development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 FatSnacks

Tucker.Tim wrote: »
    i3 is fine. Unless you're doing Games where in later years where you might be dealing with 3D models any decent modern PC is fine for development.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I don't think I'll be doing much with games anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

I'll also see you all there :) Unless it goes up by like 300 points :L

I was just wondering about the laptop myself too, wondering will the good oul Samsung hold up. Haven't had any problems with it in the past though, so I should be lucky enough.

Advertisement