Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like Irish food?

Options
  • 14-10-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Also, what are your favourite Irish dishes?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

serious craving for beef stew dinner and a rack of ribs with cabbage!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Molloy10

sea_monkey wrote: »
    serious craving for beef stew dinner and a rack of ribs with cabbage!
    I hate beef stew :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Molloy10 wrote: »
    I hate beef stew :mad:

Are you going to contribute to the discussion or just say you hate things?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

not being smart but what are Irish dishes......I've heard of things like boxty and colcannon but we certainly never ate them growing up.
    ....stew, bacon & cabbage are the only ones I can think of.....

roast chicken and mash potato with gravy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I love Irish food, almost any seafood (was raised on Dingle/Tralee Bay seafood), I love anything like stew, fish pie, shepherd's pie, roast dinners, bacon and cabbage, potato bread, soda bread, brown bread, I've to stop or I'll get hungry :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

Love it. We've got great food, we just cooked it badly for long time!

Kevin Dundon has a show out at the moment doing modern Irish food: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10207446/

Neven Maguire's Home Chef show is even better, in my own humble opinion- champions Irish food all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I love Irish food, almost any seafood (was raised on Dingle/Tralee Bay seafood), I love anything like stew, fish pie, shepherd's pie, roast dinners, bacon and cabbage, potato bread, soda bread, brown bread, I've to stop or I'll get hungry :)

Memories of shepherd's pie.... yum :)
    My mum used to make brown bread with so little effort and it was gorgeous - especially when it was not long out of the oven, after resting a bit, a slice with butter that melted just a bit.... I'm going to have the late night munchies now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

coffeepls wrote: »
    Memories of shepherd's pie.... yum :)
    My mum used to make brown bread with so little effort and it was gorgeous - especially when it was not long out of the oven, after resting a bit, a slice with butter that melted just a bit.... I'm going to have the late night munchies now :(

I'll tell you a better one. When I was a teenager and would be out for the night my mum would always collect me (impossible to get taxis without waiting around for an hour), so she would use the time staying up until 2-4am to make brown bread :o Myself and my friends would come home to brown bread that was just cool enough to cut but still warm enough to melt the butter, washed down with a glass of milk, off to bed. Heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

GoodBridge wrote: »
    Love it. We've got great food, we just cooked it badly for long time!

The reason my husband hates broccoli and most veg -- everything was boiled to death when he was growing up.

I love Irish stew. But most of all I love Irish ingredients. Great produce we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I love Irish stew, but I can never make it as good as my mother made it. :( Same with brown soda bread - I can do a decent enough loaf, but not as good as hers.

I grew up on tradition Irish dinners - stew, bacon and cabbage, potato cakes with fried eggs, soup with big chunks of potatoes in it when the store cupboard was running low. I love it all. :)

• Advertisement

I'll tell you a better one. When I was a teenager and would be out for the night my mum would always collect me (impossible to get taxis without waiting around for an hour), so she would use the time staying up until 2-4am to make brown bread :o Myself and my friends would come home to brown bread that was just cool enough to cut but still warm enough to melt the butter, washed down with a glass of milk, off to bed. Heaven!

What a saint!

Big fan of stew and Bacon and Cabbage. Never tried coddle, must get around to making that soon actually.

I do love the colder weather as it means its time for comfort food again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never liked corned beef, or bacon with cabbage. I love cabbage with beef though, and I love stews.

OP are you going to participate in this thread? There's no point in starting threads if you're not going to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I love bacon and cabbage, and stew, real comfort food. Also boxty with lots of butter. There's a pub in the town near where I grew up that does lovely boxty. I never had it as a child but we did have potato cakes sometimes. I think the difference is boxty has raw potato in it.

Advertisement