Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda - Lack of resources or sheer incompetence?!

• 14-10-2013 8:11pm

A fan of An Garda Siochana, I've always sung their praises and always been reasonable with them in their efforts to deal with crime.

I believe they work tirelessly against a counter-productive judicial system, have become involved in a thankless and draining career and are generally a sound and well intentioned person behind their uniforms.

However, my experience today has Father Ted written all over it. Today I experienced what seemed like a complete lack of interest by several Gardai in their role (possibly as they felt they were getting shafted with someone else's work).

I won't give too much information away in this post as it would be probably unwise and may hurt AGS if they choose to pursue information given to them.

Today I spotted a criminal in traffic. Criminal is a suspect of several thefts, at least one of which made it into the news, and miscellaneous other crimes, one of which could well be a lead to a larger crime in future (in fact I'd bet money on it).

I had no credit in my phone, so I rang an emergency 999 call into Drogheda station today to inform them that I was behind said criminal in traffic.

I had to explain to the Garda how I knew it was a criminal and why he was wanted. The Garda, to be fair to him, told me to keep with the criminal. He said he would ring back in two minutes with the Garda that is directly involved with this criminal.

Cue me doing some Smokey and The Bandit style driving to catch up with said criminal (whilst keeping a distance to not be too close).

Eventually catch up and after 10 minutes he heads for the motorway, so I ring into the Garda station again (via 999 once more as I have no credit to call the station direct).

Garda tells me that it's not really a Drogheda issue as it's left their area. I should have rang Dublin Control apparently.

So another call - This time to Dublin control and I'm greeted with a "hmm, that's strange, why didn't Drogheda deal with it?" and "Drogheda really should have dealt with it".

After a few minutes I'm asked what I plan to do when I catch them as 'they could have weapons or knives'. Needless to say I wasn't too long about informing her that I had no intention of catching them (much as I'd like to be in the role of a Garda, as a Joe Soap with nothing going for me except the right to defend myself using reasonable force, I'm not going to be pulling over criminals on the motorway on my lunch breaks from work!).

So eventually I'm essentially told to not bother continuing to follow the criminal and to leave them be.

So I take the same exit as them off the motorway, but head my own way and leave them be.

On my drive home I get two phone calls from two different Gardai in two different stations, both asking if I'm still following the car and when told no, asked what direction was it heading.

I find the entire situation that unfolded to be completely amazing. The fact that AGS had an exact location for a criminal with a member of the public on the phone giving updates, and showed little to no interest whatsoever in apprehending the criminal, seems absolutely shocking to me.

If anyone were to tell me this story I outright would not believe them.

Surely this isn't par for the course with AGS. Why wasn't I transferred to a crew that were in a patrol car that could follow my direction and take over from me!?

The only Garda that seemed to be on the ball was the one that told me to keep the car in my sight and he'd get back to me. It's just unfortunate that he seemed to have disappeared after that (probably got reprimanded for using initiative - that'll learn 'em!).

I sincerely hope this is an unusual story and not the normal approach from AGS when dealing with this kind of situation? Surely it should have been handled better?! :mad:

Comments

Surely this isn't par for the course with AGS. Why wasn't I transferred to a crew that were in a patrol car that could follow my direction and take over from me!?

First you are presuming there was a patrol car available!

And can't imagine the Control Room having the mobile numbers for all the members working in their area. Plus we aren't issued with state mobile phones when on patrol.

foreign wrote: »

And can't imagine the Control Room having the mobile numbers for all the members working in their area. Plus we aren't issued with state mobile phones when on patrol.

Well I will admit that I didn't come across a single patrol car whilst following the criminal. However, the Garda that rang me when I was on my way back home said he had a car on the motorway looking for me. Why was I not put through to this mysterious car?!

Surely you don't need phone numbers of members when cars are fitted with radios? Isn't that their entire purpose?

*EDIT: I did come across two patrol cars on my way back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

firstly fair play to you,
    however was the person in question actively wanted, or just suspect for these thefts? How did you know he was wanted or has not been arrested prior?

Its a bit unfair to say sheer incompetence, for the simple reason there is just not enough patrol cars to deal with every call that comes in immediately. Calls have to prioritized as they see fit.

Not knocking what you did, but it the amount of calls received from the public about things they thought they saw or something they thought was suspicious can be large. Some turn out to be something, the large amount turn out to be nothing, but it will tie up a patrol car for 20/30 mins before thats decided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Crap!!

The caller can be put through to a members tetra set as has happened to me in the past. so mobile phones arent needed anymore.

I was also rang by a member using a tetra set whilst in the car.

lighterman wrote: »
    Crap!!

The caller can be put through to a members tetra set as has happened to me in the past. so mobile phones arent needed anymore.

All this is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Crap!!

Sorry mate but you might want to remove the wool that's been pulled over your eyes.

To the Op, The location of many a criminal is known, doesn't mean you just go and grab them. There is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes, that you don't see in the movies. He will be arrested for whatever crime when the investigating member is good and ready to do so and not on the whim of a third party.

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    firstly fair play to you,
    however was the person in question actively wanted, or just suspect for these thefts? How did you know he was wanted or has not been arrested prior?

Its a bit unfair to say sheer incompetence, for the simple reason there is just not enough patrol cars to deal with every call that comes in immediately. Calls have to prioritized as they see fit.

Not knocking what you did, but it the amount of calls received from the public about things they thought they saw or something they thought was suspicious can be large. Some turn out to be something, the large amount turn out to be nothing, but it will tie up a patrol car for 20/30 mins before thats decided.

Don't want to give too many details, just incase, but car was unquestionably of interest to AGS.

Don't want to give too many details, just incase, but car was unquestionably of interest to AGS.

well as was said above, sometimes when someone is suspect in a crime, its well known where they are, Alot of work sometimes has to be done before a person will be arrested for questioning.

bravestar wrote: »
    Sorry mate but you might want to remove the wool that's been pulled over your eyes.

To the Op, The location of many a criminal is known, doesn't mean you just go and grab them. There is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes, that you don't see in the movies. He will be arrested for whatever crime when the investigating member is good and ready to do so and not on the whim of a third party.

For serious criminals and gangland stuff I'd believe you. But why instruct me to pursue, and ring me afterwards asking if I still know where the criminal is, whilst telling me they had a car out looking for me?

For serious criminals and gangland stuff I'd believe you. But why instruct me to pursue, and ring me afterwards asking if I still know where the criminal is, whilst telling me they had a car out looking for me?

Cant answer you there mate, but if he had told you that, you would still be here starting a thread on Gardai and their sheer incompetence.
    Can't win.

• Advertisement

Cant answer you there mate, but if he had told you that, you would still be here starting a thread on Gardai and their sheer incompetence.
    Can't win.

If he had said 'look, we know who it is but unfortunately we have to leave them be at the moment until we gather a book of evidence' I'd have begrudgingly agreed and would know that they at least have their heads in the game and are making an effort.

If they had stopped this criminal today, he would have been caught bang to rights from what I could see.

What I seen today was undisputable evidence of a lack of basic communication between Garda stations/Gardai and either a significant lack of resources (no other major crimes reported in Drogheda today that I know of, I don't think, so not sure what would have held them up) or a general unwillingness to have to deal with the work assigned to a different Garda.

Even a CSI Garda I spoke to agreed with me about it being handled poorly.

As I say, I'm a general advocate of AGS. I like them, but today was shoddy.

If he had said 'look, we know who it is but unfortunately we have to leave them be at the moment until we gather a book of evidence' I'd have begrudgingly agreed and would know that they at least have their heads in the game and are making an effort.

If they had stopped this criminal today, he would have been caught bang to rights from what I could see.

What I seen today was undisputable evidence of a lack of basic communication between Garda stations/Gardai and either a significant lack of resources (no other major crimes reported in Drogheda today that I know of, I don't think, so not sure what would have held them up) or a general unwillingness to have to deal with the work assigned to a different Garda.

Even a CSI Garda I spoke to agreed with me about it being handled poorly.

As I say, I'm a general advocate of AGS. I like them, but today was shoddy.

Again like you, I'm only speculating, but its very unlikely the Garda who answered the phone, knows what stage the investigation is at, or even if he even knows who your man is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Again like you, I'm only speculating, but its very unlikely the Garda who answered the phone, knows what stage the investigation is at, or even if he even knows who your man is.

It all seems ok to me. Like some have mentioned you are looking at this from your own perspective and not from the perspective of all the individuals involved. All the reasons stated are very valid to be fair.

1. The garda you spoke to on the phone might not even know who you were following, all gardai do not know all criminals.
    2. maybe they werent in a position to arrest the individual there and then but you were asked to keep following him because the garda on the phone doesnt know this.
    3. The gardai in dublin might have no involvement or no knowledge of the case
    4. Possibly a lack of resources, other calls are a higher priority and have to be dealt with first

There are probably 100's more perfectly legit reasons. I can see why this would be frustratingfor you but to suggest incompetence amd compare it to father ted is unfair

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

I'd be one of the first to complain about incompetence and lazyness. 148 houses have been robbed in my area over the last year and not 1 burgular has been caught. The guards response time is laughable 2-4 hours here now :eek:

However, I had to give a statement last week (I was a witness) I arrived at the station at 7pm that night and the place was completely dead. I'd say I seen probably 5 guards in the whole station, It was dead quiet, very strange experience. The guard brought me throught to the interview room which meant walking throught staff room, cells, offices, cctv room and it was scary to see most of the rooms with only 1 guard in them.

Funny thing was a lot of the patrol cars were parked up beside a handful of private cars. Which obviousally meant hardly any guards were on patrol that night. I reckon we have only heard about half of the cut-backs guards have to deal with..

Needless to say, I have my baseball bat beside my bed. You just can't rely on them anymore. No wonder crime figures are down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Imagine the calls the response cars are dealing with, sometimes they are all tied up. It happens to every emergency service in every country.

Well I will admit that I didn't come across a single patrol car whilst following the criminal. However, the Garda that rang me when I was on my way back home said he had a car on the motorway looking for me. Why was I not put through to this mysterious car?!

Surely you don't need phone numbers of members when cars are fitted with radios? Isn't that their entire purpose?

*EDIT: I did come across two patrol cars on my way back though.

You're contradicting yourself here. Why was I not put through and why should control room have the numbers?

And tetra as we have it can't receive or make calls other than 999 or GISC.

You're contradicting yourself here. Why was I not put through and why should control room have the numbers?

And tetra as we have it can't receive or make calls other than 999 or GISC.

That's not really a contradiction, more a lacking knowledge on the ins and outs of the Tetra system.

But I know what you mean.

If they had a car patrolling the roads in my area looking for me and the criminal, why did the control room not get my number and pass it on to a Garda in the car immediately?

The Garda that rang me said he had a car out looking for me (he rang me on an unknown number, so I assume it was his personal one).

I'm guessing that at some point (30 minutes after the initial phone call to control in Dublin) the control room lady did pass my number onto a garda in a car, but why did it take so long and why was i told to stop following the car prior to them passing on my information?

There's something horribly wrong with the Garda service if this is the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

That's not really a contradiction, more a lacking knowledge on the ins and outs of the Tetra system.

If they had a car patrolling the roads in my area looking for me and the criminal, why did the control room not get my number and pass it on to a Garda in the car immediately?

The Garda that rang me said he had a car out looking for me (he rang me on an unknown number, so I assume it was his personal one).

I'm guessing that at some point (30 minutes after the initial phone call to control in Dublin) the control room lady did pass my number onto a garda in a car, but why did it take so long and why was i told to stop following the car prior to them passing on my information?

You assume too much. Pass your number on to the garda in the car? Why should that garda use his own personal mobile, at cost to himself, to contact you?

Just because a number comes up as private or withheld, doesn't mean it's a mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭source

Do you think it may be possible the member was attempting to contact the member in charge of whatever case the person was suspected for?

Then after finding him passed your number on and he then called you to track down the suspect, and possibly had a car travel from some unknown distance to catch up to you. But at that stage you had left the area?

Could it be possible that the system worked fine, just that you didn't know what was happening in the background?

I'll give you the passing the buck on the district border thing, but the rest seems petty reasonable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

KKV - maximum respect to you for doing your civic duty and trying to help. Sad thing is though that equipment in AGS is far behind the times so fast, real time comms aren't possible between an caller and a patrol car.

On Road Wars you see the pro-active squads using state phones mounted on their dashes that allow for outside calls and/or calls to be patched through. They don't exist here. So what's left is the guard who had taken your call trying his best to get in touch with the relevant district and that district's car may be tied up with something else. That guard has his/her hands tied then. Also - as said; an investigation may be ongoing and the original calltaker may not have been aware but wanted to see if your request could be acceded to asap. I presume you're a party that has been affected by this person.

Again fair play to you. If more people were willing to help like this it would be great - but unfortunately when it comes to these situations circumstances need to be ideal.

It's ridiculous, I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I find this funny ( i'm not in GS), is this D.I.Y Sunday world/ Love Hate vigilante madness creeping onto our streets? Crazy, crazy crrrrrrazzzzzy , you should be walking the opposite way from these people.

Did it not dawn on you that if he was going around in full view that he wasn't worried about being seen/stopped or arrested by anybody.....

& & &...... & how busy would the cars be if they were all following cars that were following cars because a member of the public thinks they saw, heard read or know something......

Lock it up........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

All this is nonsense.

Can you explain why when i rang bray station to report a car i got a call from "65300" (bray is 6665300) and it was the member in the car looking for updates

another time i rang the district station because there was no one in the sub station and due to the nature of my job i was put thriugh to the nember of the sub station who was out in the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Can you explain why when i rang bray station to report a car i got a call from "65300" (bray is 6665300) and it was the member in the car looking for updates

another time i rang the district station because there was no one in the sub station and due to the nature of my job i was put thriugh to the nember of the sub station who was out in the car

Talk thru from command and control works thru from the terta headset does it? I know your not able to call direct but can be patch thru by command n control

I find this funny ( i'm not in GS), is this D.I.Y Sunday world/ Love Hate vigilante madness creeping onto our streets? Crazy, crazy crrrrrrazzzzzy , you should be walking the opposite way from these people.

Did it not dawn on you that if he was going around in full view that he wasn't worried about being seen/stopped or arrested by anybody.....

& & &...... & how busy would the cars be if they were all following cars that were following cars because a member of the public thinks they saw, heard read or know something......

Lock it up........:D

The Gardai knew as well as I did that the car contained a criminal (once it were explained to them). I did originally post more info, but i've taken it down again to be safe.

source wrote: »
    Do you think it may be possible the member was attempting to contact the member in charge of whatever case the person was suspected for?

Then after finding him passed your number on and he then called you to track down the suspect, and possibly had a car travel from some unknown distance to catch up to you. But at that stage you had left the area?

Could it be possible that the system worked fine, just that you didn't know what was happening in the background?

I'll give you the passing the buck on the district border thing, but the rest seems petty reasonable to me.

I absolutely don't deny that that's what may have been happening behind the scenes. However, if, overall, it took approximately 40 minutes between my initial 999 call and a call from a Garda (who either was in, or had control of, a car), then I would be absolutely ashamed if that's the system working 'fine'.

The core issue is that I followed a car for 25 minutes and at no point between the largest town in the country and the capital of the country could a patrol car intervene.

(also, as an aside, my backing off and moving away from the criminal was heavily related to the fact that a Garda instructed me to not bother continuing). At 25 minutes in, I figured the mickey mouse antics had gone on long enough.

Relatedly, on my way back into Drogheda I seen the Marked Ford Galaxy coming into the town from the motorway. Whilst it's a useless pursuit vehicle, it was obviously on the motorway and must have had some availability. Yet it seemingly didn't exist when I needed a car.

If a member does decide to use their own personal mobile they will get station to call them and then the station will put the call on hold and ring the second phone then hang up thereby connecting the two calls.

The five digit number is the short number on our internal system. All DMR stations start 666.... Bray was part of DMR so still has the number.

The Gardai knew as well as I did that the car contained a criminal (once it were explained to them). I did originally post more info, but i've taken it down again to be safe.

I absolutely don't deny that that's what may have been happening behind the scenes. However, if, overall, it took approximately 40 minutes between my initial 999 call and a call from a Garda (who either was in, or had control of, a car), then I would be absolutely ashamed if that's the system working 'fine'.

The core issue is that I followed a car for 25 minutes and at no point between the largest town in the country and the capital of the country could a patrol car intervene.

(also, as an aside, my backing off and moving away from the criminal was heavily related to the fact that a Garda instructed me to not bother continuing). At 25 minutes in, I figured the mickey mouse antics had gone on long enough.

Relatedly, on my way back into Drogheda I seen the Marked Ford Galaxy coming into the town from the motorway. Whilst it's a useless pursuit vehicle, it was obviously on the motorway and must have had some availability. Yet it seemingly didn't exist when I needed a car.

Once a car gets on the motorway, it can cover a large distance. For instance if a patrol car was dispatched from Drogheda, it could easily take it 10 mins to get from the town to the motorway, On the motorway in 10 mins the suspect car could easily be near the airport.

Once a car gets on the motorway, it can cover a large distance. For instance if a patrol car was dispatched from Drogheda, it could easily take it 10 mins to get from the town to the motorway, On the motorway in 10 mins the suspect car could easily be near the airport.

I'm not quite sure I understand your post? :confused:

I'm not sure if you're saying the service was up to scratch or shoddy (not trying to be funny, just genuinely unsure).

If they had dispatched a car to me when I initially called, the car could have taken over fairly instantly (assuming the car was at the station itself).

When I initially called Drogheda Station, I was literally 2 minutes away from it (even less, if you're driving on blues, obviously). I'm aware, however, that cars are rarely available directly from the station except at night.

Here's an A-B marker of where the station is, and where i was when i rang them (I actually wasnt as far away as marker B, i was at the junction slightly to the left of it, but much the same location really)

https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Old+Abbey+Lane,+Drogheda&daddr=John+Street,+Drogheda&hl=en&ll=53.71433,-6.354496&spn=0.005657,0.016512&sll=53.713511,-6.353016&sspn=0.005657,0.016512&geocode=FTyfMwMdwQCf_ymruHwnijlnSDG9iKm4gOLl2A%3BFSuXMwMdGhmf_ykfyNIHJzpnSDE6MU2dlArPyg&oq=john+stree&t=h&mra=ls&z=17

A patrol car on the Motorway could have caught up quickly. I was travelling around 100km/h and keeping up. I'd assume a patrol car would be doing nearer 160-180 on a motorway so would have made up the time fairly swiftly. It just seemed like they didnt want to know.

Would it be worth complaining to the station about this? I really find it very shoddy (at the same time, as someone with an interest in Garda Reserves, I wouldn't want to hinder my chances because I moaned to the station previously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Kevin3

KKV unfortunately there just isn't always a mobile available. You don't know what other incidents they were dealing with at the time and calls have to be dealt with in order of priority.

You would be surprised at the low level of cover that is provided at times even in a town the size of Drogheda. The call taker might have been dying to tell you that he had one mobile available to him to deal with all incidents coming in because of an unacceptable shortages of members due to prolonged cuts in recruitment but then he's probably not allowed to be so honest with the public on a recorded telephone line.

I'm sure you're familiar with the video below of members in Drogheda calling for urgent assistance and waiting for over six and a half minutes and even then only getting help from a single crewed patrol. This is the response for one of their own needing urgent help. You can't expect much better for your suspect who was not committing a crime at that time and could be dealt with at a later date for whatever they had allegedly done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

It can't really be said it better than Kevin just put it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

You say that a patrol car should be able to catch this ne'erdowell but if the Garda car is travelling at an average speed of 150km/h (maybe in a Focus) and the target car at 130km/h, then there is a closing speed of 20km/h. If the criminal has a head start of 10km then it will take the Garda car 30 minutes to catch up, in which time the target car has covered 65km.

The only way to have dealt with this is by having a car up ahead deal with it rather than catching from behind.

Would it be worth complaining to the station about this? I really find it very shoddy (at the same time, as someone with an interest in Garda Reserves, I wouldn't want to hinder my chances because I moaned to the station previously).

Complain about what? That there was nobody available to stop a known criminal who wasn't committing any offence at the time? Seriously, have a bit of a think about what you are saying. If you want to complain, contact your local FG/Lab TD and complain about lack of resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

A patrol car on the Motorway could have caught up quickly. I was travelling around 100km/h and keeping up. I'd assume a patrol car would be doing nearer 160-180 on a motorway so would have made up the time fairly swiftly. It just seemed like they didnt want to know.

Unfortunately very few members will travel at that speed to a non emergency call. I don't blame them either as we are well aware how they would be treated if god forbid anything went wrong.

OP, if we were living in an ideal world you would have a point. Unfortunately we're not. We don't know what was going on in the background or how much priority was placed on your call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Heard a case of Patrol car recently that caught a speeding ticket courtesy of roadside camera van. FPN was forwarded from HQ to station with note from Super requesting report as to what call was being responded to at the time and associated pulse incident number.
    An old garda saying, the job will hang you if it gets the chance.

Heard a case of Patrol car recently that caught a speeding ticket courtesy of roadside camera van. FPN was forwarded from HQ to station with note from Super requesting report as to what call was being responded to at the time and associated pulse incident number.
    An old garda saying, the job will hang you if it gets the chance.

Well if there was an emergency then they have nothing to fear :cool: If not why are they speeding?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Zambia wrote: »
    Imagine the calls the response cars are dealing with, sometimes they are all tied up. It happens to every emergency service in every country.

Here Here.

jamesr123 wrote: »
    Well if there was an emergency then they have nothing to fear :cool: If not why are they speeding?...

Not all reported incidents end up being an emergency.

Not all reported incidents end up being an emergency.

Sure even if there was a reported incident they'd have something to fall back on..

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

Was sorely disappointed in the Guards a few years back. Late one night we saw from our bedroom window a guy with a hood and white gloves breaking the lock on the wooden side door of the house opposite us, obviously a burgular. We live in an estate in Dublin 15. We could see everything clearly from our position. Called the Guards straight away. Said they would send a car. A few minutes later the guy emerges, scoots past our house and hides behind a railing for a while watching. He must have got spooked. He returns to the house again to resume breaking in. We're on the phone a few times to the Guards keeping them updated. We really wanted them to catch this guy red handed, so many houses are robbed here. Eventually a squad car passes slowly with the guy watching from behind the side door just yards away and I'm on the phone telling this to the guard in the station as it's happening. Over the next 30 mins approx. the guy gets nervous a few more times and hides behind the railing but returns to the house again each time. During this time an unmarked car passes slowly, with the guy watching again and we've been on the phone to the local station many times relaying all his movements in real time. VERY Frustrating. I'm saying to the guard on the phone "Yeah, we see the car now, and the guy is right there behind the gate, we can see him watching the car, he's just 5 yards away". But the car leaves, the guy leaves and STILL comes back again even though it's obvious to him now the guards are alerted to something. Then comes the bit that stuns me, a while later we hear a squad car sounding it's siren for just a second, a minute later it pulls up outside the house in question and the guards get out and 'investigate'. Clearly they sounded their siren before they got there to give a warning so the guy could scarper. Why? I can only guess that they didn't want the hassle of apprehending a criminal. It annoys me then when they say at community meetings how they are trying to reduce crime in the area. Maybe the reason why the guy still persisted even though the cars came by is because he knows guards here would prefer not to have to catch someone. This whole episode lasted about 1hr and a quarter. The home owner and his wife were upstairs asleep until the guards established the burglar was gone (surprise, surprise) and rang the bell and talked to them for a while. Next morning I meet him and he starts to praise the guards for coming out until I give him the rundown of events, and he's then as incredulous as I was. I'm still kicking myself for not following up on this and making a complaint or something about how this was handled, sheer lack of interest in catching a burglar in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

OP I would suggest you ask your CSI friend how many garda would actually be on duty in that station at night. Now consider one must be at front office. two at cells, if there had been a crash that car you saw may have been dealing with that maybe life and death as opposed to your situation. Would you rather they leave that to respond to you.
    Another couple of cars dealing with a kick off at a local pub.
    One investigating something like the last persons break in.

Where do you propose all the cars and Garda come out of to deal with what may or may not be a suspect in a case that may or may not be ongoing. They may be waiting on sufficent evidence to arrest this person. Just because they know he might be a criminal doesn't mean they can go and arrest him every time they see him walking down the street. It takes time to build up a book of evidence to charge someone.
    Arresting someone then takes a Garda maybe 2 off the street for a couple of hours, where as if this person is clearly not hiding it wouldnt take much to go call to their house if they really wanted him.

There are so many hundreds of variables in an hour in a garda station. You have no clue what happened in that 30 mins nor the preceeding 30 or the following 30 mins.

Get a life for yourself and stop trying to make hassle, You initially did as they asked however due to unknown issues to you it did not pan out as planned so move on, if this guy is as famous as you think as a criminal they know where he lives they know where he hangs out etc etc etc. if they want him they will find him.

• Advertisement

I do understand that Garda cars can be tied up with several different events occurring at once. This is perfectly understandable. I'm also aware that the Gardai, for several years in a row, have faced cutbacks and no recruitment.

I'm fairly clued in to the plight of the average Garda. I accept that they do a pretty horrible job, in very tough conditions and often will receive verbal and even physical abuse in their role.

I'd spend a fair bit of time around Gardaí and I'd see them dealing with different bits and bobs. I've expressed my understanding and appreciation for them many a time on boards.

I'd know a fair few from the local station to say hello to and every now and again would stop and have a short laugh with a couple of them that I recognise.

I have nothing but good experiences with them (well, the bad one was very, very minor). I've a strong interest in the service and would love to pursue it as a career (and intend on joining the reserves in the next year or two).

However, just because I like a service, doesn't mean I can't/won't pull it up on it's bad points. And I genuinely felt that Monday was absolutely shoddy from the word go. There seemingly was absolutely no communication between Gardaí or stations and a complete lack of interest was displayed to me in two of three emergency calls (the first call to Drogheda was promising, and that Garda seemed to be on the ball, to be fair to him. No idea who he was, but I'd absolutely hold nothing negative against him. Seemed like he actually wanted to help).

seavill wrote: »
    Get a life for yourself and stop trying to make hassle

Are you for real? Trying to make hassle? By calling the Gardaí to arrest a criminal? That's hassle?

Am I in some parallel universe or something here? I followed a wanted man for the guts of a half an hour, whilst on an emergency call to two different stations, listening to how each of them think the other should be the one dealing with it, and I'm somehow the bad guy?

Will you get a grip. :rolleyes:

I certainly hope that's not the attitude in my local station!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jimb43

Seaville, you knocked it on the head lol kkv you need to get a life, cos one day you will meet a real criminal and he will knock your teeth down your throat.( ha ha ) stop playing robo cop, but credit where its due

I havent laughed so much in all my life, i can just picture you now flying round drogheda, " SMOKIE 1" , bandit turning left into crook avenue, gone through a red light on villain lane, hang on he's ditched it in swag street "shall i follow on foot?" LOST SIGHT OF BANDIT hilarious man, respect to you hahahahahaha, Stop doing smokie and the bandit round drogheda, get some credit on your phone , keep to photography, you will never make a garda, your just dreaming. i saw you dressed in a garda uniform. Your just a clown , and a wannabe , stick to taking photos of kids, by the way what did the criminal do, that should be interesting ?? keep me posted smokie, let me know when your next on duty. " OVER AND OUT "

Ps the Garda decided to chase it up after half hour cos they thought , a member of the public ( Joe Soap ) might have been tied up and put in a wheelie bin somewhere ( LOL ) and needed assistance, coz his radio went down and he had no credit on his phone !! you should be thanking them for wanting to help you not calling them negligent/or incompetent. good night officer Soap.

Fair play to ya op for showing some civic responsibility, but I have to point out to you that your interpretation of the situation may have differed from the reality of what was happening.

Can I ask how your so sure that the man in question was wanted at the time ... Perhaps he was on the way home from being dealt with?

jimb43 wrote: »
    Seaville, you knocked it on the head lol kkv you need to get a life, cos one day you will meet a real criminal and he will knock your teeth down your throat.( ha ha ) stop playing robo cop, but credit where its due

I havent laughed so much in all my life, i can just picture you now flying round drogheda, " SMOKIE 1" , bandit turning left into crook avenue, gone through a red light on villain lane, hang on he's ditched it in swag street "shall i follow on foot?" LOST SIGHT OF BANDIT hilarious man, respect to you hahahahahaha, Stop doing smokie and the bandit round drogheda, get some credit on your phone , keep to photography, you will never make a garda, your just dreaming. i saw you dressed in a garda uniform. Your just a clown , and a wannabe , stick to taking photos of kids, by the way what did the criminal do, that should be interesting ?? keep me posted smokie, let me know when your next on duty. " OVER AND OUT "

Ps the Garda decided to chase it up after half hour cos they thought , a member of the public ( Joe Soap ) might have been tied up and put in a wheelie bin somewhere ( LOL ) and needed assistance, coz his radio went down and he had no credit on his phone !! you should be thanking them for wanting to help you not calling them negligent/or incompetent. good night officer Soap.

:rolleyes:

Fair play to ya op for showing some civic responsibility, but I have to point out to you that your interpretation of the situation may have differed from the reality of what was happening.

Can I ask how your so sure that the man in question was wanted at the time ... Perhaps he was on the way home from being dealt with?

See, I don't really want to say as I'm not sure if it's the kinda thing that could potentially hinder AGS if they decided to follow up at a later date (and I'm sure at some point they eventually will).

I do understand that Garda cars can be tied up with several different events occurring at once. This is perfectly understandable. I'm also aware that the Gardai, for several years in a row, have faced cutbacks and no recruitment.

I'm fairly clued in to the plight of the average Garda. I accept that they do a pretty horrible job, in very tough conditions and often will receive verbal and even physical abuse in their role.

I'd spend a fair bit of time around Gardaí and I'd see them dealing with different bits and bobs. I've expressed my understanding and appreciation for them many a time on boards.

I'd know a fair few from the local station to say hello to and every now and again would stop and have a short laugh with a couple of them that I recognise.

I have nothing but good experiences with them (well, the bad one was very, very minor). I've a strong interest in the service and would love to pursue it as a career (and intend on joining the reserves in the next year or two).

However, just because I like a service, doesn't mean I can't/won't pull it up on it's bad points. And I genuinely felt that Monday was absolutely shoddy from the word go. There seemingly was absolutely no communication between Gardaí or stations and a complete lack of interest was displayed to me in two of three emergency calls (the first call to Drogheda was promising, and that Garda seemed to be on the ball, to be fair to him. No idea who he was, but I'd absolutely hold nothing negative against him. Seemed like he actually wanted to help).

Are you for real? Trying to make hassle? By calling the Gardaí to arrest a criminal? That's hassle?

Am I in some parallel universe or something here? I followed a wanted man for the guts of a half an hour, whilst on an emergency call to two different stations, listening to how each of them think the other should be the one dealing with it, and I'm somehow the bad guy?

Will you get a grip. :rolleyes:

I certainly hope that's not the attitude in my local station!

You used a great word there in the first part "seemingly" in other words you have made up in your head what happened and you are going with that. Like I tried to make the point in my response you have no idea what is going on at that time. Maybe they did everything they could. You have no idea.

Yes cause hassle. You just mentioned making a complaint about the issue to the local station. What is that if not causing hassle as well as coming on here to tell your story to try get everyone to tell you what a hero you are.

Like the others have said fair play for making the effort but now leave it at that. It's what appears in your head to be shoddy but you have no idea what actually happened. If you want to play cops that much join up at the next recruitment shortly. Other than that grow up.

Maybe when you join you will get some actual perspective on real life.

You used a great word there in the first part "seemingly" in other words you have made up in your head what happened and you are going with that. Like I tried to make the point in my response you have no idea what is going on at that time. Maybe they did everything they could. You have no idea.

Yes cause hassle. You just mentioned making a complaint about the issue to the local station. What is that if not causing hassle as well as coming on here to tell your story to try get everyone to tell you what a hero you are.

Like the others have said fair play for making the effort but now leave it at that. It's what appears in your head to be shoddy but you have no idea what actually happened. If you want to play cops that much join up at the next recruitment shortly. Other than that grow up.

Maybe when you join you will get some actual perspective on real life.

Based on the story in my OP; How would you rate the Garda service out of 10?

Based on the story in my OP; How would you rate the Garda service out of 10?

Based on your story I could not give an accurate assessment cause we don't have all the facts. We have your side of the story and all your presumptions.

If you do want to make it in the Garda I'd take this as lesson one don't jump to conclusions without all the facts. A good solicitor or judge would love to see you coming if that is how you would investigate crimes

We have your side of the story

And that's all I am asking you to base your rating on..

And that's all I am asking you to base your rating on..

If/when u become a member of the Garda reserve or full and you meet a bad guy who says "I didn't do it" do you just go with that seen as you havnt heard the other side.

You are getting silly now to make your point

If/when u become a member of the Garda reserve or full and you meet a bad guy who says "I didn't do it" do you just go with that seen as you havnt heard the other side.

You are getting silly now to make your point

I've made my point long ago. The service provided was piss poor. Taking the guts of 40 minutes to get a car and listening to two different stations passing the buck is not what I'd call a good service. Calling it subpar would be complimentary.

Meanwhile you're posting about me joining the Gardai, arresting people on the streets, talking about the numbers of Gardai stationed at night time (when im talking about 1pm on a Monday), etc. in my honest opinion, nonsense that doesn't relate to what I'm posting about.

Whether I loved or hated the Gardai, whether i wanted to join them or bomb them; I don't see what bearing it would have on my experience on Monday. Surely it would be reasonable to expect that someone who likes the service would also be more willing to overlook the negative aspects in their inolvements (whereas I'm pulling them up on it).

My thread title was a genuine question. My initial feeling (and remaining feeling) is that the outcome of monday was a mixture of both lacking resources and incompetence. Both of which need to be addressed.

I'm aware we will all have our differences of opinion, but I don't think anyone could compliment the Garda service based on my experience.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement