Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goalkeeper Pucking Technique

• 14-10-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I have recently noticed that quite a lot of goalkeepers tend to puck out the sliotar using the same technique. That technique being that for e.g a right handed goalkeeper holds the hurley with the left hand on top, throws the ball underneath the hurley and strikes as if it was off his bad side. Brendan Cummins does it along with Anthony Nash and I believe PJ Ryan used to do it also. Is it pure coincidence that these goalkeepers along with a few others have the same technique or is there another reason behind why they do it? Does it improve distance or what?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I personally think it is pure coincidence. The majority of people are right handed so play with the right on the top. I'm gonna guess that a lot of the hurlers that puck the way you mentioned are left handed and when they were young they copied what the majority of people did. Basing what I think on two thing,

1. what I have seen coaching youngsters in my club and also my nephew
    2. kids watching the way daddy grips the golf club.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Its pure coincidence to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Its pure coincidence to be honest

its not

they have a larger swing plane and greater shoulder rotation holding the hurley in that manner and by doing that they can generate more power and longer distance.

holding the hurley in that manner in an outfield position wouldnt work as its slower and more cumbersome as well as allowing greater scope to be hooked

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

slingerz wrote: »
    its not

they have a larger swing plane and greater shoulder rotation holding the hurley in that manner and by doing that they can generate more power and longer distance.

holding the hurley in that manner in an outfield position wouldnt work as its slower and more cumbersome as well as allowing greater scope to be hooked

Not coincidence that Cummins and Ryan have pucked the ball the same way for years??? That they did it because of your science above?? Its coincidence that a number of keepers are pucking it with the "wrong" hand on top.

Nash's puckouts at under 16 were woeful, but he has put a lot of work into generating that distance and power through gymwork and technique. Look at Ger Cunningham, hitting it roughly the same distance as Nash, but holding the hurley correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

LawdyLad wrote: »
    I have recently noticed that quite a lot of goalkeepers tend to puck out the sliotar using the same technique. That technique being that for e.g a right handed goalkeeper holds the hurley with the left hand on top, throws the ball underneath the hurley and strikes as if it was off his bad side. Brendan Cummins does it along with Anthony Nash and I believe PJ Ryan used to do it also. Is it pure coincidence that these goalkeepers along with a few others have the same technique or is there another reason behind why they do it? Does it improve distance or what?

Thanks
    Anthony Nash holds right hand on top and strikes off his left, the exact opposite to Cummins, who puts laft hand on top and strikes off his right. But yeah, it would be the same technique. Others who do the same would be Nicky Quaid and James Skehill.
    I agree with rebel girl that its pure coincidence. Its just the way that these lads have been holding a hurl since they were young lads. They don't just decide 'right, I'm going to completely change my grip and stroke so I can lenghten my puck outs'. Not all goalies do this and lots of outfield players do it aswell. Coincidence that some of the players using that technique happen to be goalies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

I'm not sure I understand this thread at all. From all I can see, Brendan Cummins is left handed so he has his left hand on top of the hurl. Anthony Nash is right handed so he has his right on top. Both are therefore completely orthodox and doing nothing unusual.

Like many players (both in goal and outfield), their stronger side is their "backhand" side. Therefore Cummins is stronger on his right side and Nash on the left. There is nothing unusual about this no matter what position they are playing on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Martin567 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand this thread at all. From all I can see, Brendan Cummins is left handed so he has his left hand on top of the hurl. Anthony Nash is right handed so he has his right on top. Both are therefore completely orthodox and doing nothing unusual.

Like many players (both in goal and outfield), their stronger side is their "backhand" side. Therefore Cummins is stronger on his right side and Nash on the left. There is nothing unusual about this no matter what position they are playing on the field.

I think the OP is talking about a golfers grip when pucking out the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

I think the OP is talking about a golfers grip when pucking out the ball

But is this actually happening? That would imply that Cummins pucks out the ball with his right hand on top and Nash with his left. I don't think that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Goalkeepers strike the sliotar at a higher point than out field players. This results in goalkeepers being able to drill a ball 70-80 yards , most club goalkeepers strike ball like outfield payers which results in higher hanging puck outs. Intercounty keepers have different technique when striking ball and it's not just a coincidence. Practice, practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

I think you are getting mixed up with back hand and fore hand striking. The convential way to strike is off your forehand side but many people prefer their back hand side, jj deleany, tommy Walsh, Paul Ryan etc etc. the back hand strike like used in base ball or golf allows for greater shoulder rotation and power to be generated from a standing position. Also the ideal ball striking position is in line with the shoulder of the arm at the bottom of the hurly/bat/club. This means that the ball is struck at a different point in the swing. There is a slightly different technique but the back hand strike allows the ball to be further out and is hit later in the stroke generating more power. This however is harder to do out field. Don't get me wrong distance and power can also be generated in the fore hand strike but are generated by the muscles going in a different direction.

I dislocated my shoulder in my mid 20's and noticed a huge difference in how I struck the ball afterwards. Prior to that I could hit the ball the same distance off both sides usually around 80-90m. I lost almost 30m off my back hand side until I was able to build up the strength again. I also changed my technique for frees and for puck outs to compensate got my fore back (good side) up to around 90-100m and around 85 for my backhand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement