Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grammar question

• 14-10-2013 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi I was just wondering if anyone can help me.

When do I use go/gur?

As in Taim dochosach GO mbeadh sé sa bhaile. etc etc

I want to say feicimid go thainig orcas ar niamh; but is it gur thainig instead (ps doing sraith pictiurs for leaving cert irish)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I am not an expert on Irish grammar by any stretch of the imagination but I think as a general rule, in indirect speech, 'go' precedes the verb in the present tense while 'gur' precedes the verb in the past tense. Therefore 'gur tháinig ocras ar Niamh' is the correct and 'go bhfuil ocras ar Niamh' in the present. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

In the past tense you normally use 'gur' : gur rug, gur tháinig

But the verbs abair, bí, déan, faigh, feic, téigh are exceptions and use 'go': go ndúirt, go raibh, go ndearna, go bhfuair, go bhfaca, go ndeachaigh.

In the present tense you always use 'go': go ndeir, go n-itheann

Advertisement